ADVERTISEMENT

what high school did you attend what year

What year did this occur? Have you turned to meth along with half of your townsfolk and are hallucinating again? There is no possible way the AD at Jasper refused to help you out when your jalopy broke down, if he was asked. Get help for your problem. You will probably have to go to Jasper to get it. Much better mental and medical health facilities there than in that hellhole you're from. The jealousy from that declining town of Vincennes is pathetic, but funny.
So, the hospital in Jasper has a roof and the one in Vincennes is “open air”? Both towns are 50 years behind civilization and still celebrating the introduction of the rotary telephone.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Floyd Central 1974. Floyd and Clark Counties are not the largest but the basketball talent in the first half of the 70s was unequaled.

The class of ‘71 included Steve Green (Silver Creek) to IU; Mike Flynn (Jeff) and Jerry Hale (FC) to UK; Gary McCoo (New Albany) to Florida. Underclassmen that year included Wayne Walls (Jeff) to Purdue, Jerry Schellenberg (FC) to Wake Forest; New Albany sophomores who won state in ‘73; and Tony Winburn (Jeff) and Steve Miller (NA) who sadly would be on the plane that went down with the UE basketball team in 1977. Miller’s dad was my mom’s boss at the time.

What year did this occur? Have you turned to meth along with half of your townsfolk and are hallucinating again? There is no possible way the AD at Jasper refused to help you out when your jalopy broke down, if he was asked. Get help for your problem. You will probably have to go to Jasper to get it. Much better mental and medical health facilities there than in that hellhole you're from. The jealousy from that declining town of Vincennes is pathetic, but funny.
I moved away for good in 1985.

The incident created a policy that the bus driver had to stay with the bus and not go in to watch the game. It pissed off drivers and many quit taking on those trips.

My wife did her clinical at Jasper. She is laughing that you are comparing the Vincennes Good Samaritan Hospital to the hospital in Jasper. FWIW, I have lived in Evansville most of my life. It is where Jasper sends their seriously ill patients.

The incident created a policy that the bus driver had to stay with the bus and not go in to watch the game. It pissed off drivers and many quit taking on those trips.

My wife did her clinical at Jasper. She is laughing that you are comparing the Vincennes Good Samaritan Hospital to the hospital in Jasper. FWIW, I have lived in Evansville most of my life. It is where Jasper sends their seriously ill patients.

Your wife is butt hurt too?

Reactions: Radio Zero

Good god we need sports back in our lives..

I barely graduated from Richmond High School in 1962.
Long, long ago, right?
RHS Red Devils finally won it all in 1992
Beat Jeffersonville in the morning and beat Lafayette Jeff in the title game. both games went overtime. Big crowd in the Hoosier Dome!!
My grandfather graduated from Richmond in 1942 or 43. Then he won a free trip to France.

Well, she's wrong-no comparison. Vincennes, once a nice town, has fallen far in the last 40 years. What year did this bus incident occur? There is NO WAY that the Jasper AD refused to help, if asked.

The University of E. Chicago Washington: Bridgeman went to Louisville, Stodard (sp.) went to North Carolina State and eventually played MLB and Trig went to UCLA. THAT team was loaded.[/QUOTE
NoVertical, definitely a great team, great players. Those three guys from ECW played in a combined 5 NCAA Final 4's (Trgovich 3; Stoddard and Bridgeman 1 each) and won 3 National championships.

Think about this folks, there was an ECW '71 alum on 3 straight National Champs.

And I never saw him play, but my dad and brothers say the greatest EC baller was Jim Bradley from ECR, who led his team to an undefeated State championship the year before. That must've been some sectional producing 2 different back to back undefeated State champs.

ECR coach Bill Holzbach was a friend of my dad's and former IU football player In the 50's.
Trgovich and Bridgemen played against each other in the 75 final four and UCLA won in OT and Wooden retired after UCLA won the championship. Bridgeman was then part of the Kareem trade between the Lakers and the Bucks just after he was drafted by the Lakers.

There are videos of that ECW team on YouTube. They averaged 95/game and undefeated in 71 and you can see they played with unbelievable energy for every second of the game. Trgovich had 68 points in the two final four games. Great team.

Last edited:
Trgovich and Bridgemen played against each other in the 75 final four and UCLA won in OT and Wooden retired after UCLA won the championship. Bridgeman was then part of the Kareem trade between the Lakers and the Bucks just after he was drafted by the Lakers.

There are videos of that ECW team on YouTube. They averaged 95/game and undefeated in 71 and you can see they played with unbelievable energy for every second of the game. Trgovich had 68 points in the two final four games. Great team.
Yeah they averaged 95 points per game. But remember they they did this in high school with 8 minute quarters. Also against good competition against the Gary and Hammond schools. The 1971 East Chicago Washington Senators was the best high school team in America in any era.

Reactions: sluggo69
Yeah they averaged 95 points per game. But remember they they did this in high school with 8 minute quarters. Also against good competition against the Gary and Hammond schools. The 1971 East Chicago Washington Senators was the best high school team in America in any era.

not sure they could take the undefeated 69 Indpls Washington team with McGinnis and Downing.

and doubt they could take LeBrons HS team.

as good as they were, they didn't have anyone as dominant as McGinnis or maybe even Downing, and who is gonna take on LeBron in HS.

Wilt would probably have been tough to handle as well, as would Alcindor.

and what about Oscar and Attucks.

dominant players can rule in bball.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
that FF was epic. IWashington, Marion , and Vincennes were all undefeated, and the Region team had only one loss to a team from Chicago.

I'm from Vincennes, Lincoln '82. My mom went to Bruceville and graduated with Basil Sfreddo who coached at Indianapolis Washington. My dad went to Lincoln. My parents went to Indianapolis for that State Championship and left me with a babysitter for the weekend and I decided to try to shave like Daddy, cut my lip and the babysitter and I told my parents that I was licking peanut butter off a knife and cut my lip.

I never put down Vincennes because it is where my wife and I had our Honeymoon at the Executive Inn which is no longer in service. We were traveling South on 41 some years ago to Evansville and drove by the Hotel and I yelled out with,"Kids, that is where I became a man". My wife didn't laugh when I said that.

I never put down Vincennes because it is where my wife and I had our Honeymoon at the Executive Inn which is no longer in service. We were traveling South on 41 some years ago to Evansville and drove by the Hotel and I yelled out with,"Kids, that is where I became a man". My wife didn't laugh when I said that.
Makes one think about Posey County melons....ah, yes...

not sure they could take the undefeated 69 Indpls Washington team with McGinnis and Downing.

and doubt they could take LeBrons HS team.

as good as they were, they didn't have anyone as dominant as McGinnis or maybe even Downing, and who is gonna take on LeBron in HS.

Wilt would probably have been tough to handle as well, as would Alcindor.

and what about Oscar and Attucks.

dominant players can rule in bball.
Just watching their afternoon games in the Final Four on YouTube I have to go with East Chicago over Indianapolis Washington. Indiana Washington just beat Marion by 1 and they didn’t play very hard. East Chicago hustled harder than any team at any level I can think of and I believe they would have run Indianapolis Washington into the ground. They didn’t have anyone equal to McGinnis but they had two very quick guards and three pro level athletes and every one of them hustled. I am an independent observer that has to go with ECW for the win. They were an extreme high energy team.

Last edited:
Just watching their afternoon games in the Final Four on YouTube I have to go with East Chicago over Indianapolis Washington. Indiana Washington just beat Marion by 1 and they didn’t play very hard. East Chicago hustled harder than any team at any level I can think of and I believe they would have run Indianapolis Washington into the ground. They didn’t have anyone equal to McGinnis but they had two very quick guards and three pro level athletes and every one of them hustled. I am an independent observer that has to go with ECW for the win. They were an extreme high energy team.

MY first state finals was the EC Washington, Floyd Central superhicks, New Castle with a young kent Benson and I believe Elkhart Memorial. I was hooked on high school hoops. I Hate class basketball.

MY first state finals was the EC Washington, Floyd Central superhicks, New Castle with a young kent Benson and I believe Elkhart Memorial. I was hooked on high school hoops. I Hate class basketball.
I found the other games from that Final Four on YouTube. Elkhart beat New Castle in 3 OT’s in the afternoon and then lost to ECW that night. That was a good Final Four to be your first.

IU fans have had a terrible double blow. We lost the tradition of the one class high school tournament and lost the great IU basketball program. I hate it too.

IW's biggest downside was that their 2 stars both played inside, but they weren't that weak elsewhere.

that said, not only did they not have anyone anywhere near as good as McGinnis, they didn't have anyone as good as Downing either..

yes, IW let Marion and Jovon Price come closer than they should have, but McGinnis was on another level than anyone ECW had, and could turn it up a notch when he wanted to.

McGinnis could suffer gentle giant syndrome at times, but could also turn it up when motivated.

in the Ind-Ky all star series that yr McGinnis had a lackluster first game and Ky players got on him as not that great afterward.

don't poke the bear.

that pissed off McGinnis, so he came back with 51 points and 31 rebounds in the 2nd game of the series.

if ECW and IW played a 2 game series and ECW pulled out the 1st game, i have no doubt IW would have beaten them by 20 the next game.

no doubt ECW had 3 really good players, but they didn't have any great players who could dominate other high level players.

and in grudge matches, dominant players rule.

and like i said, ECW would never have taken Wilt's or Lebron's or Alcindor's or Bill Walton's HS teams, if both teams were playing their best.

some players are just so dominant that even really good balanced other teams aren't going to be able to take them when both sides on on top of their game.

Reactions: CriticArisen
IW's biggest downside was that their 2 stars both played inside, but they weren't that weak elsewhere.

that said, not only did they not have anyone anywhere near as good as McGinnis, they didn't have anyone as good as Downing either..

yes, IW let Marion and Jovon Price come closer than they should have, but McGinnis was on another level than anyone ECW had, and could turn it up a notch when he wanted to.

McGinnis could suffer gentle giant syndrome at times, but could also turn it up when motivated.

in the Ind-Ky all star series that yr McGinnis had a lackluster first game and Ky players got on him as not that great afterward.

don't poke the bear.

that pissed off McGinnis, so he came back with 51 points and 31 rebounds in the 2nd game of the series.

if ECW and IW played a 2 game series and ECW pulled out the 1st game, i have no doubt IW would have beaten them by 20 the next game.

no doubt ECW had 3 really good players, but they didn't have any great players who could dominate other high level players.

and like i said, ECW would never have taken Wilt's or Lebron's or Alcindor's or Bill Walton's HS teams, if both teams were playing their best.

some players are just so dominant that even really good balanced other teams aren't going to be able to take them when both sides on on top of their game.
I know that IW had a great team (and also had Pack), my only comment was that they didn’t play with the energy and mental toughness of ECW. Their scoring does give an indication of the energy they played with 95 pts/game with 8 minute quarters, no 3’s, and single foul shots. They really moved the ball fast with nice passing.

I know there is no film for most of the teams you cite but which of them do you believe would win a high school tournament to determine greatest high school team of all time.

don't poke the bear.

And people disregard how good Pack was at guard for IW. I don't know who wins but is a very interesting to speculate on.

I know that IW had a great team (and also had Pack), my only comment was that they didn’t play with the energy and mental toughness of ECW. Their scoring does give an indication of the energy they played with 95 pts/game with 8 minute quarters, no 3’s, and single foul shots. They really moved the ball fast with nice passing.

I know there is no film for most of the teams you cite but which of them do you believe would win a high school tournament to determine greatest high school team of all time.
They, or rather George, did tend to turn it on and off. I assume he is engaged for this match up and take Washington. Ask the Kentucky All Stars what an engaged George could do.

Hmm...I found a small amount of video on Walton’s, Jabbar’s, Wilt’s and James’ high school teams (more of course on James). I say ECW beats Walton’s and Jabbar’s teams but maybe not Wilt’s nor James’.

if the team that has the best player was a sure winner then basketball wouldn’t be very interesting. Wilt was mentally tough in HS as was James but Jabbar and Walton not so much. I also think IW beats Walton and Jabbar.

Hmm...I found a small amount of video on Walton’s, Jabbar’s, Wilt’s and James’ high school teams (more of course on James). I say ECW beats Walton’s and Jabbar’s teams but maybe not Wilt’s nor James’.

if the team that has the best player was a sure winner then basketball wouldn’t be very interesting. Wilt was mentally tough in HS as was James but Jabbar and Walton not so much. I also think IW beats Walton and Jabbar.
Wooden rightfully takes a lot of heat about their program but believe he was a great coach and really helped Walton and Jabbar develop mentally.

They, or rather George, did tend to turn it on and off. I assume he is engaged for this match up and take Washington. Ask the Kentucky All Stars what an engaged George could do.
Never would question his ability and too bad he went to that one hand shot. I think he could have been a much better player then even he was.

He absolutely was a man amongst boys in high school and college and to a certain extent in the NBA. He was a very very strong player for that era but also quick and talented.

I just read that the second all star game was the last game his father saw before he died in an accident. His father said-My goodness I didn’t know you were that good and then asked if he wanted to drink Old Grandad with him. George declined. :)

After his father died he needed to support his mother so the early departure from IU and then leaving the Pacers for the 76ers for much more money. The other thing about George is that he is a decent human being and a really good person.

Last edited:
Reactions: JIMSHAM
Never would question his ability and too bad he went to that one hand shot. I think he could have been a much better player then even he was.

He absolutely was a man amongst boys in high school and college and to a certain extent in the NBA. He was a very very strong player for that era but also quick and talented.

I just read that the second all star game was the last game his father saw before he died in an accident. His father said-My goodness I didn’t know you were that good and then asked if he wanted to drink Old Grandad with him. George declined. :)

After his father died he needed to support his mother so the early departure from IU and then leaving the Pacers for the 76ers for much more money. The other thing about George is that he is a decent human being and a really good person.
Another great high school team no one has mentioned was Conley and Oden at Lawrence North. They both should have been perennial NBA All Stars.

Went to Indiana U. in 1969. And Big George was a freshman so didn't play yet. In '70 George McGinnis, Steve Downing and Joby Wright played together. I remember them skidding all over the dusty floor in the old "New Fieldhouse". Sitting below the court on folding chairs on sawdust and dirt was a mixed blessing. Those guys were diving all over the court...sliding and sweating. One could be up close and really see the contact and effort. OMG! Impressive!

Went to Indiana U. in 1969. And Big George was a freshman so didn't play yet. In '70 George McGinnis, Steve Downing and Joby Wright played together. I remember them skidding all over the dusty floor in the old "New Fieldhouse". Sitting below the court on folding chairs on sawdust and dirt was a mixed blessing. Those guys were diving all over the court...sliding and sweating. One could be up close and really see the contact and effort. OMG! Impressive!
You were fortunate to see them. It is really a shame that IU games from that period are not available on the internet. Someone needs to go through the archives and get them out so people can watch them. I can’t find any games of McGinnis or Wright. I looked for IU Kentucky from 12/71 when IU won in double OT and Downing had 47 pts and 25 rebounds and can’t find it. Not long after that was the dedication game for Assembly Hall when IU beat ND 94-29;and can’t find it. I know there is tape of these games someone just needs to go through and get them out.

I have never seen any tape of Jimmy Rayl and heck I would pay to see it but can’t fInd anything.

Last edited:
You were fortunate to see them. It is really a shame that IU games from that period are not available on the internet. Someone needs to go through the archives and get them out so people can watch them. I can’t find any games of McGinnis or Wright. I looked for IU Kentucky from 12/71 when IU won in double OT and Downing had 47 pts and 25 rebounds and can’t find it. Not long after that was the dedication game for Assembly Hall when IU beat ND 94-29;and can’t find it. I know there is tape of these games someone just needs to go through and get them out.

I have never seen any tape of Jimmy Rayl and heck I would pay to see it but can’t fInd anything.

i would love to see the UK game in the 17th st fieldhouse from the yr before. (the John Ritter shot game). (IU lost in OT).

not the 1st game of the yr, but basically the coming out party for the McGinnis-Downing class.

IU and UK hadn't played in a few yrs. Downing didn't play as he was injured or sick, and i don't think Larry Steel did either for UK.

i'd also love to see Rayl games and the 64-65 team with the Vans and McGlocklin.

the 66-67 Payne, Joyner, Johnson, Inniger, Russell, DeHeer, Schneider, B10 co champ team.

many/most were televised on ch 4, but think i've heard perhaps the tapes got recorded over if taped at all back then. (don't know what yr ch 4 started using video tape).

you would though think IU filmed them for their own use. (film degrades though. i know the 67 IU-PU football film was almost unwatchable last time i saw it yrs ago).

i loved attending games at the 17 st fieldhouse,

Last edited:
i would love to see the UK game in the 17th st fieldhouse from the yr before. (the John Ritter shot game). (IU lost in OT).

not the 1st game of the yr, but basically the coming out party for the McGinnis-Downing class.

IU and UK hadn't played in a few yrs. Downing didn't play as he was injured or sick, and i don't think Larry Steel did either for UK.

i'd also love to see Rayl games and the 64-65 team with the Vans and McGlocklin.

the 66-67 Payne, Joyner, Johnson, Inniger, Russell, DeHeer, Schneider, B10 co champ team.

many/most were televised on ch 4, but think i've heard perhaps the tapes got recorded over if taped at all back then. (don't know what yr ch 4 started using video tape).

you would though think IU filmed them for their own use. (film degrades though. i know the 67 IU-PU football film was almost unwatchable last time i saw it yrs ago).

I went to the IU-UK game in the Fieldhouse. Great game. One of Tom Payne’s first games, too.

I went to the IU-UK game in the Fieldhouse. Great game. One of Tom Payne’s first games, too.
Ah yes Tom Payne. I have often tried to imagine what he was thinking when he committed some of his crimes. No way he could ever hope to blend into a police line up.

I know the 71 Ky game is available some place because RMK does an intro to it on his History of IU basketball. Only his intro shows up on YouTube not the game itself.

It would be a good project for someone rescuing old game tapes from around the country but especially of course IU tape. I would also like to see Maravich in college, Mounts great games, UCLA dynasty games, Bird’s games etc etc in addition to IU. Cuban would probably be interested. There might be licensing agreements involved and video processing to clean them up but otherwise the video history of college basketball is ignored and lost.

Also not sure but when Mount was at Purdue I think Ch 4 televised Purdue games more then IU. If there was a game time conflict Purdue was televised (I think but may be mistaken).

Last edited:
The 17th St Fieldhouse was a little before my time. Did the above-mentioned dirt and sawdust have a purpose?

I recall my dad talking about Northwestern's McGaw Hall (now Welsh-Ryan 2.0) having dirt floors under and behind bleachers. Was this common in all-purpose fieldhouses? Maybe for indoor track?

TIC, while I know he's not with us anymore, maybe someone can go check Chuck Marlow's basement for the missing Channel 4 tapes?? OR, perhaps Felling has them?? We know his penchant for swiping tapes...LOL!!

Last edited:
The 17th St Fieldhouse was a little before my time. Did the above-mentioned dirt and sawdust have a purpose?

I recall my dad talking about Northwestern's McGaw Hall (now Welsh-Ryan 2.0) having dirt floors under and behind bleachers. Was this common in all-purpose fieldhouses? Maybe for indoor track?

TIC, while I know he's not with us anymore, maybe someone can go check Chuck Marlow's basement for the missing Channel 4 tapes?? OR, perhaps Felling has them?? We know his penchant for swiping tapes...LOL!!
It was funny but I hate to think about what other kinds of tapes you would find in his basement.

Having dirt floors on the fieldhouse floors was common at Indiana University until Assembly Hall was built. Probably both to save money and to resemble being outside on dirt. The sawdust softened the surface a little.

In fact, the HPER building also had dirt floors where physical education classes and intramural sports were held during the winters. Registration was held there, too.

I saw the musical group Chicago in the HPER building back in '69 or '70. Great group! Fabulous music! Was leaning on the stage under the brass! But was hotter and dustier than hell. Dirt floors were the pits. There was something else in the air too. Some herb, maybe.

A better outdoor concert venue was the old stadium between HPER and the library. Jefferson Airplane, BB King and the Byrds...all in the same place in the same day...if I remember correctly...far out!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT