ADVERTISEMENT

what high school did you attend what year

I saw Larry Bird play the Purple Aces in 78-79. Wasn't that impressed until I looked at the box score next day. He light up the stats with 40 points. If you could get a quiet 40 he did. Not flashy just deadly. They played at Roberts stadium, which used to host the EVV Sectional and Southern Indiana Regionals. Always loved when Loogootee, etc. came to town. Killer games. Any of you come to EVV for regionals?

Roberts Stadium used to be an awesome place for regionals and semi state. Always a packed house during those games. Best high school game I ever watched was Prinecton's four overtime win over Evansville Bosse who at the time was number one team in the country in the 83 regional. The town of Princeton was a madhouse after that game.

I guess it is spelled "Siebolt." He was the athletic director at either Bloomington North or Bloomington South.
I looked it up. He was at North and the track is named after him now. It appears he was there for a long time as girls cross country and track coach and two stints as AD. The first time as AD ended before my time there and his second started my senior year. He is in the Monroe County HS HOF.

So it seems like I definitely should've at least known who he is but it still doesn't ring a bell. I'm not sure of his coaching years but the cross country and track coach I remember is Charlie Warthan but he may have just coached the boys. It's been quite a while and there's quite a few purple from HS I don't remember. I ran track for 2 years and can't remember if we had the same coach as the girls. Lol

That 72 team was the best I ever saw. I remember Gary West getting an absolute hose job from the officials at State. City would have destroyed the Connersville team that ended up winning that year.

in the Rogers game, a Solomon Williams tip in at the buzzer. Solomon ended up playing his college ball at Colorado State.
Didn't he go to Lincoln College before going to CSU? Not sure, but I played against some kid from Lincoln College who was on that Rogers team.

Last edited:
I went to Riley Elementary School with Rick's brother Larry. Larry, Jim Fleming, Albert Fleming, Bennie Edwards and others used to play pickup games on the Riley Playground and at Watertower Playground. It was very entertaining for this 12 year old to watch.

I don't doubt that its been broken since, but I was at the Game where Rick Whitlow broke Vernon Payne's single game MC record.
I think Bennie Edwards went to Oakland City College and returned to MC to coach the volleyball team. During the Gary West game, CITY was down one with West at the free throw line. Edwards got the rebound and the Devils had a chance to win but threw the ball out of bounds with about a few seconds left on the clock. The only thing I remember after that was Donnie Thomas sitting on the floor totally devastate.

McNutt lives in Columbus too. You guys should golf together if you haven't already. There is a girl I knew back in the day from my church in Washington IN. We grew up together and she lives in Columbus too. McNutt thought he knew her.

Her name?

I went to Riley Elementary School with Rick's brother Larry. Larry, Jim Fleming, Albert Fleming, Bennie Edwards and others used to play pickup games on the Riley Playground and at Watertower Playground. It was very entertaining for this 12 year old to watch.

I don't doubt that its been broken since, but I was at the Game where Rick Whitlow broke Vernon Payne's single game MC record.
Mostly played day games at Knapp Elementary and night games at school out on Coolspring Ave. and some court in Hammond where kids from Chicago would show up.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Great reading all these HS stories of teams and games gone by... especially Region hoops. The domination by Region teams of the late 60's-early 70's was a few years before my basketball memories, but my dad and older brothers filled me in as I grew up.

Reactions: NoVertical
Great reading all these HS stories of teams and games gone by... especially Region hoops. The domination by Region teams of the late 60's-early 70's was a few years before my basketball memories, but my dad and older brothers filled me in as I grew up.
The University of E. Chicago Washington: Bridgeman went to Louisville, Stodard (sp.) went to North Carolina State and eventually played MLB and Trig went to UCLA. THAT team was loaded.

NoVertical, definitely a great team, great players. Those three guys from ECW played in a combined 5 NCAA Final 4's (Trgovich 3; Stoddard and Bridgeman 1 each) and won 3 National championships.

Think about this folks, there was an ECW '71 alum on 3 straight National Champs.

And I never saw him play, but my dad and brothers say the greatest EC baller was Jim Bradley from ECR, who led his team to an undefeated State championship the year before. That must've been some sectional producing 2 different back to back undefeated State champs.

ECR coach Bill Holzbach was a friend of my dad's and former IU football player In the 50's.

Last edited:
The University of E. Chicago Washington: Bridgeman went to Louisville, Stodard (sp.) went to North Carolina State and eventually played MLB and Trig went to UCLA. THAT team was loaded.
the guards ,Darnell Adell and Reuben bailey, also went and played D1 bball I think the schools were Murray State and Austin Peay , but I am probably wrong. Of course, Trgovich played at UCLA. The best high school starting five in Indiana high school hoops history?

NoVertical, definitely a great team, great players. Those three guys from ECW played in a combined 5 NCAA Final 4's (Trgovich 3; Stoddard and Bridgeman 1 each) and won 3 National championships.

Think about this folks, there was an ECW '71 alum on 3 straight National Champs.

And I never saw him play, but my dad and brothers say the greatest EC baller was Jim Bradley from ECR, who led his team to an undefeated State championship the year before. That must've been some sectional producing 2 different back to back undefeated State champs.

ECR coach Bill Holzbach was a friend of my dad's and former IU football player In the 50's.
Growing up in East Chicago made me very proud of those 2 teams, EC Washington and EC Roosevelt. I was 5 and 6 years old when my parents took me to those '70 and '71 sectionals. I don't remember much of the games but the atmosphere I can remember was something else.

As far as Jim Bradley, the older folks always said if Larry Bird and Shawn Kemp had a baby, it would have been Jim Bradley.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
the guards ,Darnell Adell and Reuben bailey, also went and played D1 bball I think the schools were Murray State and Austin Peay , but I am probably wrong. Of course, Trgovich played at UCLA. The best high school starting five in Indiana high school hoops history?
Best in Indiana high school history, yes. I would argue that team was the best high school team in the country in any era.

Trivia: Both EC Washington graduates, Tim Stoddard '71 and Kenny Lofton '85 are the only 2 people to play in both the NCAA Final Four and the MLB World Series.

A good case could be made for the McGinnis/Downing team of 1969 at Indianapolis Washington. I know Wayne Pack at one of the guards had a successful college career as I believe the other guard did. That is the only other team I can think of.

Columbus High School class of 1972. We were the second largest high school in the state of Indiana that year and the last graduating class of Columbus High School. vbg
Was Bill Stearman there then?

A good case could be made for the McGinnis/Downing team of 1969 at Indianapolis Washington. I know Wayne Pack at one of the guards had a successful college career as I believe the other guard did. That is the only other team I can think of.

that FF was epic. IWashington, Marion , and Vincennes were all undefeated, and the Region team had only one loss to a team from Chicago.

Was Bill Stearman there then?

Unfortunately, yes. I should have been a starter, but he cut me because he hated my father. They played semi-pro baseball against each other in the 1950s and my dad always warned me to not let Coach Stearman know he was my father. One day, we were walking together in downtown Columbus and Coach Stearman saw us. That proved to be a killer for me.

About 20 years ago, I was early for our Rotary Club meeting and so was our former high school principal. The two of us were sitting together and he asked if I minded if he told me something. Of course, I was fine with it.

He proceeded to tell me that Coach Stearman cut me from the basketball team because he carried a grudge against my dad. Our former principal said he almost intervened and made him put me on the team, but he decided not to do it. He said he really regretted not getting involved and getting me put on the team.

That winter, I was playing against a stranger in a pick-up game and he asked me after the game where I was playing basketball. When I told him I merely was playing church basketball, he said he was captain and point guard of a college basketball team and I was a better player than him. He said he was a senior and his coach was looking for his replacement. He then asked for my name and phone number so his coach could contact me.

His coach called a few days later and wanted me to meet with him at the university. When I said I was going to go to IU and major in journalism, he tried to talk me out of it. A day or two later, he called our home again and chatted with my mother. She then tried to persuade me to meet with the coach, but I refused to do so.

It has always bothered me about getting cut from the basketball team, but I'm glad I went to IU and majored in journalism. Those were four great years!

Last edited:
On Alvord Blvd...just south of Lincoln. Was barely in Harrison district but had started already at Bosse and stayed with Bosse. Walked to school...but Harrison would have been a long way. Sister went to Harrison.
Bosse gets a bad rap but it's one of the better schools in the tri state

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Bosse gets a bad rap but it's one of the better schools in the tri state
I graduated in '69.

Was driving today and Police stopped me. Asked if that was an open bottle of 80 proof Schnapps next to me. I said yes, Officer, have you tried to find hand sanitizer lately?

Reactions: IU73 and ulrey
I barely graduated from Richmond High School in 1962.
Long, long ago, right?
RHS Red Devils finally won it all in 1992
Beat Jeffersonville in the morning and beat Lafayette Jeff in the title game. both games went overtime. Big crowd in the Hoosier Dome!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sdhoosier
You are full of shit. There is an entire team that remember getting home after midnight from that Jasper game.

What year did this occur? Have you turned to meth along with half of your townsfolk and are hallucinating again? There is no possible way the AD at Jasper refused to help you out when your jalopy broke down, if he was asked. Get help for your problem. You will probably have to go to Jasper to get it. Much better mental and medical health facilities there than in that hellhole you're from. The jealousy from that declining town of Vincennes is pathetic, but funny.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT