ADVERTISEMENT

what high school did you attend what year

You probably know Ralph Seyboldt (sp?). He was married to my cousin for about 50 years. Unfortunately, she passed away about a year ago. Ralph is a good golfer and a great guy!
I know the siebolts. Long standing family friends. Lived on fox hollow. Great bunch.

You probably know Ralph Seyboldt (sp?). He was married to my cousin for about 50 years. Unfortunately, she passed away about a year ago. Ralph is a good golfer and a great guy!
The name doesn't ring a bell. Did he teach at North?

Who's comparing Boonville to Vinncennes in this thread?
I criticized Boonville's football field and Jet thought I was jealous. I also said Jasper sucks and why I didn't like them.

Vinncennes sectionals was always a walk in the park.. North Knox and South Knox
Coach Sam Alford of South Knox would disagree. Regardless of the sectional opponents, Lincoln enjoyed a lot of success at Regional, Semi State, and State in the late 60's through the 80's in single class basketball.

Coach Sam Alford of South Knox would disagree. Regardless of the sectional opponents, Lincoln enjoyed a lot of success at Regional, Semi State, and State in the late 60's through the 80's in single class basketball.
Yes Vinncennes was always good in sports I'm not arguing with you

Washington High School (Daviess County)in the early to mid 80's. Washington won their sectional this year. I was looking forward to seeing them perhaps play Silver Creek who has Trey Kaufman who is on many of our recruiting boards.
Bunch of old farts on this board. Since you mentioned Silver Creek. Silver Creek class of 93. This Kaufman dude is going to be a joy to watch next year. I have a feeling he's leaning Louisville but Ive heard he likes IU as well.

Reactions: IU73
Region had the best hoops in the state back in the 70s. Gary West regional was a killer to advance from, then the brothers would almost always get whistled down in Mooooooooooo Town

Region had the best hoops in the state back in the 70s. Gary West regional was a killer to advance from, then the brothers would almost always get whistled down in Mooooooooooo Town
They would send CITY to South Bend to the old Athletic and Convocation Center. Jimmy Webb from Adams was unstoppable and they went all the way to final game in '73

They would send CITY to South Bend to the old Athletic and Convocation Center. Jimmy Webb from Adams was unstoppable and they went all the way to final game in '73
and Herman Helicoptor. New Albany won it in 73 with Bill Finley, Julius Norman, Norman Mukes, Charlie Mitchell and Dale Slaughter.

Last edited:
MC Elston 74.

You were at the end of all the great "City" teams. That '72 team with Albert Fleming, John Wiley, and Donnie Thomas was crazy good. I was a junior at Rogers when MCR broke Elston's twenty something year string of sectional championships.

The swimmers I remember weren't foreign. Matt Pendleton, Ben Hunter, Brian Stryker, and Ryan Tabereaux. A couple of others whose names I can't recall. But they probably would've been underclassmen or in middle school when you were in HS.

Yes. They were all a few years younger than me. Brian Stryker married a good buddies younger sister.

You were at the end of all the great "City" teams. That '72 team with Albert Fleming, John Wiley, and Donnie Thomas was crazy good. I was a junior at Rogers when MCR broke Elston's twenty something year string of sectional championships.
Losing to Gary West with that team was absolutely heart breaking. The next year EVERYONE thought we couldn't win the sectional... but guess what? We did... when Tony Branch was a freshman and Larry Williams was a Junior. Larry had the funkiest jump shot ever. When my brother called me while I was at school and told me Rogers beat City (#1) in the Sectional on a last second shot... I couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
Wasn't it true that Doug Adams came back to coach during the tourney at Rogers?

By the way, Vernon Pain was on the '66 CITY team. Any relation?

One of the great players at CITY was a guy named Ricky Whitlow... I think he went to Illinois State.

I saw Larry Bird play the Purple Aces in 78-79. Wasn't that impressed until I looked at the box score next day. He light up the stats with 40 points. If you could get a quiet 40 he did. Not flashy just deadly. They played at Roberts stadium, which used to host the EVV Sectional and Southern Indiana Regionals. Always loved when Loogootee, etc. came to town. Killer games. Any of you come to EVV for regionals?

I saw Larry Bird play the Purple Aces in 78-79. Wasn't that impressed until I looked at the box score next day. He light up the stats with 40 points. If you could get a quiet 40 he did. Not flashy just deadly. They played at Roberts stadium, which used to host the EVV Sectional and Southern Indiana Regionals. Always loved when Loogootee, etc. came to town. Killer games. Any of you come to EVV for regionals?
Lived near Roberts Municipal Stadium. Saw quite a bit of basketball there. Especially lucky to have seen the Aces and Jacksonville. Bosse HS played a few games there..heh.

One of the great players at CITY was a guy named Ricky Whitlow... I think he went to Illinois State.

I went to Riley Elementary School with Rick's brother Larry. Larry, Jim Fleming, Albert Fleming, Bennie Edwards and others used to play pickup games on the Riley Playground and at Watertower Playground. It was very entertaining for this 12 year old to watch.

I don't doubt that its been broken since, but I was at the Game where Rick Whitlow broke Vernon Payne's single game MC record.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Wasn't it true that Doug Adams came back to coach during the tourney at Rogers?

He did. There was a teacher strike so Earl Cunningham was out on strike. Adams took a Rogers team that started three Freshmen to the FT Wayne Semistate Final where they lost it Jay Edwards and Lyndon Jones Marion team by two points.

Reactions: NoVertical
Losing to Gary West with that team was absolutely heart breaking. The next year EVERYONE thought we couldn't win the sectional... but guess what? We did... when Tony Branch was a freshman and Larry Williams was a Junior. Larry had the funkiest jump shot ever. When my brother called me while I was at school and told me Rogers beat City (#1) in the Sectional on a last second shot... I couldn't believe it.

That 72 team was the best I ever saw. I remember Gary West getting an absolute hose job from the officials at State. City would have destroyed the Connersville team that ended up winning that year.

in the Rogers game, a Solomon Williams tip in at the buzzer. Solomon ended up playing his college ball at Colorado State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT