ADVERTISEMENT

what high school did you attend what year

Bedford North Lawrence -1975-1977
Went to Shawswick Grade School, Junior High and HS my Freshman year. Two of the Schools Damon Bailey made famous.

Go Hoosiers

You probably know Bob Bridge. The two of us were roommates our junior year at IU. Bob worked for the Times Mail and recently made the Indiana Sportswriters Hall of Fame.

Yukon, I heard them all as a kid from my cousins in Munster and Hammond like "Corn Point." Like a lot of places, it sure has changed.

Reactions: Yukoncharley
65 was the last Year of the Rockport Zebras. Richland, Rockport and Grandview formed South Spencer in the 65/66 school year.
I can remember running track at South Spencer in 69 on their cinder track. Also a sprinter with tree trunks for thighs. He was fast.

Reactions: ulrey
You probably know Bob Bridge. The two of us were roommates our junior year at IU. Bob worked for the Times Mail and recently made the Indiana Sportswriters Hall of Fame.
I have met him. Very nice and knowledgeable guy.

Jeffersonville Red Devils - 1988

My son played at Jeff as well and opened up against Southport his sophomore year - senior year - class of 2018.

Sheesh, that was a hike to Anderson from Jeffersonville. Did you guys get to the State finals in like '76? My sister was a few years older than me and they had a good team that year, but I think got beaten in regionals by Jeffersonville, but it could have been Richmond. Both Red Devils, right? I thought the team that beat them advanced to the state championship.

I've got cousins and an uncle who live there. Others live nearby. My mother graduated from Evansville Central. She was born in Elberfeld on a farm and moved into Evansville when she was in sixth grade. All of this to say I agree with you on Newburgh being a nice place since I've been there a lot.
cake eaters..

skf, I'm sure we know some people in common. Seems BNIboiler is around our age as well based on some back/forth he and I have had on the the PU board.

I've got cousins and an uncle who live there. Others live nearby. My mother graduated from Evansville Central. She was born in Elberfeld on a farm and moved into Evansville when she was in sixth grade. All of this to say I agree with you on Newburgh being a nice place since I've been there a lot.
Yeah, Newburgh is a great place. I just can't believe how much it has grown since I grew up there in the 80s/early 90s. Castle has had 2 major renovations since then and opened a 2nd middle school. Tons of new housing-some very high end homes.

Boonville 94
Vincennes Lincoln '82

#1 in '81

My first road football game in junior high was at Boonville. The field always had a ridiculous amount of crown to it. You ran uphill to the middle of the field and downhill the rest of the way across.

Glad Vincennes is returning to the SIAC. It will once again be a strong conference. Oh yeah, Jasper sucks!

Reactions: IUinLville
I remember one year Booneville came to Washington and beat us something like 98-0 in football. It was less work for those of us in the band because every time we scored a touchdown we had to play the school song. Lol. One great point about Booneville is they have a Gatti's pizza. For some reason when I mention Gattis I get a visceral reaction from people. lol
Gatti's Pizza in Boonville closed and torn down last year. New Burger King in its place.

Yeah, Newburgh is a great place. I just can't believe how much it has grown since I grew up there in the 80s/early 90s. Castle has had 2 major renovations since then and opened a 2nd middle school. Tons of new housing-some very high end homes.
Newburgh was hit last night by a tornado. It was the classic path through Henderson, past Ellis Park and then into Newburgh. Evansville rarely takes a hit from tornadoes. Damage along the river and Sharon Road and 66 had a lot of heavily damaged homes.Alcoa was said to have received damage. Nobody hurt.

Vincennes Lincoln '82

#1 in '81

My first road football game in junior high was at Boonville. The field always had a ridiculous amount of crown to it. You ran uphill to the middle of the field and downhill the rest of the way across.

Glad Vincennes is returning to the SIAC. It will once again be a strong conference. Oh yeah, Jasper sucks!

You sound like a PU fan talking about IU. What happened to Vincennes, when I was in HS they actually had great sports programs, & now, well....

Newburgh got hit by a tornado last night. Thankfully, nobody was hurt and the damage wasn’t extensive.

Newburgh was hit last night by a tornado. It was the classic path through Henderson, past Ellis Park and then into Newburgh. Evansville rarely takes a hit from tornadoes. Damage along the river and Sharon Road and 66 had a lot of heavily damaged homes.Alcoa was said to have received damage. Nobody hurt.
Yeah just heard that from my folks, who still live near Castle. Sounds like the awful twister from 2005. That one shook their house. It was amazing that one didn’t cause more injuries and lost lives. A tornado at 2am in November is extremely rare.

Reactions: ulrey
Sheesh, that was a hike to Anderson from Jeffersonville. Did you guys get to the State finals in like '76? My sister was a few years older than me and they had a good team that year, but I think got beaten in regionals by Jeffersonville, but it could have been Richmond. Both Red Devils, right? I thought the team that beat them advanced to the state championship.
Yes, Anderson was nice road trip to start the season. Yes, both Richmond and Jeffersonville are Red Devils. And yes, we lost in the ‘76 state finals Here is some quick history on Jeff from the 70’s.

1971 - produced Mr. Basketball Mike Flynn who played at Kentucky. He was part of the Wildcats team that beat our undefeated 1975 Hoosiers.
1972 - got beat in the 1972 state finals by Connersville.
1974 - got beat by Fort Wayne Northrop in the state championship game. Produced Indiana All Star Wayne Walls who who played at Purdue.
1976 - lost in the state finals to Marion.
1977 - was ranked #1 wire to wire and was upset at the semi state by Terre Haute South. Produced Indiana All Star Tommy Baker who went to IU.

Apologies if too much info.

Perry Meridian, 2002.

Fellow IU alums with Andre Owens and Ryan Tapak. We had some good bball teams but no state bball championships! Katie Douglas and Dylan Windler also notable alums.

We are ok. It went through my neighborhood. It’s between Sharon and Lincoln. Lost roofs/ fences, boats. It peeled our shingles and bowed my garage door. It hit the river front bad.

You sound like a PU fan talking about IU. What happened to Vincennes, when I was in HS they actually had great sports programs, & now, well....
I have had nothing to do with them and I am not responsible for the Lincoln program since '82. I do remember them being the runner up in 84 after winning in '81 in the single class tournament and several regional titles.

YOU sound like the purdue fan. Trying to compare Vincennes and Boonville is like comparing the history of IU and purdue. Starting next year Vincennes will be in the SIAC and Boonville in the PAC.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/...thern-indiana-athletic-conference/1366802001/

Yeah just heard that from my folks, who still live near Castle. Sounds like the awful twister from 2005. That one shook their house. It was amazing that one didn’t cause more injuries and lost lives. A tornado at 2am in November is extremely rare.
I believe the 2005 tornado killed 23 people in an Evansville trailer park including the mother of the Duncan boys.

ADVERTISEMENT