ADVERTISEMENT

what high school did you attend what year

The 17th St Fieldhouse was a little before my time. Did the above-mentioned dirt and sawdust have a purpose?

I recall my dad talking about Northwestern's McGaw Hall (now Welsh-Ryan 2.0) having dirt floors under and behind bleachers. Was this common in all-purpose fieldhouses? Maybe for indoor track?

TIC, while I know he's not with us anymore, maybe someone can go check Chuck Marlow's basement for the missing Channel 4 tapes?? OR, perhaps Felling has them?? We know his penchant for swiping tapes...LOL!!
Cheap, and they could lay other surfaces over it. The main floor sat above it, as did the practice court behind the west stands. They used to run the Mini in there, as well.

I know the 71 Ky game is available some place because RMK does an intro to it on his History of IU basketball. Only his intro shows up on YouTube not the game itself.

It would be a good project for someone rescuing old game tapes from around the country but especially of course IU tape. I would also like to see Maravich in college, Mounts great games, UCLA dynasty games, Bird’s games etc etc in addition to IU. Cuban would probably be interested. There might be licensing agreements involved and video processing to clean them up but otherwise the video history of college basketball is ignored and lost.

Also not sure but when Mount was at Purdue I think Ch 4 televised Purdue games more then IU. If there was a game time conflict Purdue was televised (I think but may be mistaken).
I’m not sure that’s accurate about the Purdue games, as most weren’t televised then. The ‘71 UK game was in Freedom Hall and was considered a Kentucky home game, likely because FH had greater capacity than Memorial Coliseum. It was definitely televised as I remember the camera location was near us.

I’m not sure that’s accurate about the Purdue games, as most weren’t televised then. The ‘71 UK game was in Freedom Hall and was considered a Kentucky home game, likely because FH had greater capacity than Memorial Coliseum. It was definitely televised as I remember the camera location was near us.
You are probably right. I just now saw on YouTube maybe 30 seconds of the first game at Mackey and against UCLA in 67. It was Mount’s first varsity game and he had a broken foot but still scored 28. Alcindor rebounded and threw long and UCLA won on a long shot at the buzzer.

The only Purdue teams I can stand are the Mount teams just because he is so much a part of Indiana b-ball history.

You are probably right. I just saw maybe 30 seconds of the first game at Mackey and against UCLA in 67. It was Mount’s first varsity game and he had a broken foot but still scored 28. Alcindor rebounded and threw long and UCLA won on a long shot at the buzzer.

The only Purdue reams I can stand are the Mount teams just because he is so much a part of Indiana b-ball history.
Hey it’s quarantine here also and scouring the internet for old games.

Speaking of McGinnis, I swear I saw this but nobody has confirmed it. The Pacers were playing at Denver and McGinnis drove baseline and dunked with one hand. They had to stop the game because he bent the rim straight down.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Speaking of McGinnis, I swear I saw this but nobody has confirmed it. The Pacers were playing at Denver and McGinnis drove baseline and dunked with one hand. They had to stop the game because he bent the rim straight down.
Sounds right to me. :)

You are probably right. I just now saw on YouTube maybe 30 seconds of the first game at Mackey and against UCLA in 67. It was Mount’s first varsity game and he had a broken foot but still scored 28. Alcindor rebounded and threw long and UCLA won on a long shot at the buzzer.

The only Purdue teams I can stand are the Mount teams just because he is so much a part of Indiana b-ball history.
Not straight down, but he bent it. Before collapsible rims, it wasn’t uncommon. I saw a high level kid do it at Knight’s IU’s camp once.

I know the 71 Ky game is available some place because RMK does an intro to it on his History of IU basketball. Only his intro shows up on YouTube not the game itself.

It would be a good project for someone rescuing old game tapes from around the country but especially of course IU tape. I would also like to see Maravich in college, Mounts great games, UCLA dynasty games, Bird’s games etc etc in addition to IU. Cuban would probably be interested. There might be licensing agreements involved and video processing to clean them up but otherwise the video history of college basketball is ignored and lost.

Also not sure but when Mount was at Purdue I think Ch 4 televised Purdue games more then IU. If there was a game time conflict Purdue was televised (I think but may be mistaken).

IU had priority on ch 4, but Laffy had an independent channel as well iirc, that may or may not have been associated with ch 4.

i think Kokomo also had a ch 4 transmitter at some point.

i'll presume northern Indiana probably picked up their ch 4 IU and PU games as well through syndication.

i'll guess that in northern Ind that PU was the default game, whereas Indy and south IU took top billing when there was a conflict. don't know who reigned with the Kokomo transmitter tower.

Btown, not Indy, was ch 4's home licensed city of public record.. i think when ch 4 was founded, that Btown was the smallest town in the country to have their own television station.

i've got my ticket for Chesty basketball.

on a side note, i remember watching the Mount debut UCLA-PU Alcindor Mount game on tv. must see tv even as a kid.

has there ever been a back court that could shoot it as good as Billy Keller and Mount.

Having dirt floors on the fieldhouse floors was common at Indiana University until Assembly Hall was built. Probably both to save money and to resemble being outside on dirt. The sawdust softened the surface a little.

In fact, the HPER building also had dirt floors where physical education classes and intramural sports were held during the winters. Registration was held there, too.

I saw the musical group Chicago in the HPER building back in '69 or '70. Great group! Fabulous music! Was leaning on the stage under the brass! But was hotter and dustier than hell. Dirt floors were the pits. There was something else in the air too. Some herb, maybe.

A better outdoor concert venue was the old stadium between HPER and the library. Jefferson Airplane, BB King and the Byrds...all in the same place in the same day...if I remember correctly...far out!

i didn't go, (idiocracy), to the Jefferson Airplane concert but remember when it happened. (White Rabbit is rock royalty).

remembered there were several other major acts, but had forgotten they were The Byrds and BB.

on a side note, i saw The Box Tops, (one hit wonders with "The Letter") and Archie Bell and The Drells, both at the HPER, (different yrs), and Blood Sweat and Tears on the same bill with The Guess Who at 17th st fieldhouse

Goshen 83, home of John Ritter who was a sr Bob Knight' s first yr....remember watching my future brother in law playing against Shawn Kemp in 8th grade which we still laugh about

IU had priority on ch 4, but Laffy had an independent channel as well iirc, that may or may not have been associated with ch 4.

i think Kokomo also had a ch 4 transmitter at some point.

i'll presume northern Indiana probably picked up their ch 4 IU and PU games as well through syndication.

i'll guess that in northern Ind that PU was the default game, whereas Indy and south IU took top billing when there was a conflict. don't know who reigned with the Kokomo transmitter tower.

Btown, not Indy, was ch 4's home licensed city of public record.. i think when ch 4 was founded, that Btown was the smallest town in the country to have their own television station.

i've got my ticket for Chesty basketball.

on a side note, i remember watching the Mount debut UCLA-PU Alcindor Mount game on tv. must see tv even as a kid.

has there ever been a back court that could shoot it as good as Billy Keller and Mount.
I found some tape yesterday of Mount at Lebanon and at Purdue. He was an incredible shooter and best off the dribble with a defender in his face. I really enjoyed watching him. I would like to find the Iowa game when he had 60. If they had the three pointer at that time I understand he would have had over 70 and would have been 13/20 from three.

He had good elevation on his shot (apex of jump but also arms at maximum vertical extension and a lot of wrist on his shot) and very fast. Head down dribbling and suddenly shot release. Those shots that he just dribbled straight into the base line and launched a fade away going out of bounds are a joy to watch.

...and Keller no slouch.

In the Lebanon vs Valpo game he hit one of those shots that completely demoralizes a defender. You don’t see it very often. Mount hit a long shot with a guy all over him and the guy is shrugging his shoulders, shaking his head, and talking to himself after the shot drops perfectly. I saw Bird do it a few times in the NBA.

Last edited:
Rex Mundi out of Evansville and IU class of ‘76. Our biggest game while I was there was a Semi-state finals loss to unbeaten Vincennes in ‘69. That years final four had three unbeaten teams, including Indianapolis Washington with George McGinnis and Steve Downing.

Rex Mundi out of Evansville and IU class of ‘76. Our biggest game while I was there was a Semi-state finals loss to unbeaten Vincennes in ‘69. That years final four had three unbeaten teams, including Indianapolis Washington with George McGinnis and Steve Downing.
When did RM close?

i didn't go, (idiocracy), to the Jefferson Airplane concert but remember when it happened. (White Rabbit is rock royalty).

remembered there were several other major acts, but had forgotten they were The Byrds and BB.

on a side note, i saw The Box Tops, (one hit wonders with "The Letter") and Archie Bell and The Drells, both at the HPER, (different yrs), and Blood Sweat and Tears on the same bill with The Guess Who at 17th st fieldhouse
No big deal. I doubt Grace Slick remembers the Byrds were there assuming she remembers she was there. :)

Last edited:
I found some tape yesterday of Mount at Lebanon and at Purdue. He was an incredible shooter and best off the dribble with a defender in his face. I really enjoyed watching him. I would like to find the Iowa game when he had 60. If they had the three pointer at that time I understand he would have had over 70 and would have been 13/20 from three.

He had good elevation on his shot (apex of jump but also arms at maximum vertical extension and a lot of wrist on his shot) and very fast. Head down dribbling and suddenly shot release. Those shots that he just dribbled straight into the base line and launched a fade away going out of bounds are a joy to watch.

...and Keller no slouch.

In the Lebanon vs Valpo game he hit one of those shots that completely demoralizes a defender. You don’t see it very often. Mount hit a long shot with a guy all over him and the guy is shrugging his shoulders, shaking his head, and talking to himself after the shot drops perfectly. I saw Bird do it a few times in the NBA.

I interviewed Rick Mount when I was sports editor of a newspaper. Even though he was a Purdue grad, he was a nice guy.

Graduated in ‘71. Changed major 3 times at IU that added a year to getting my degree.

On another note, I passed seeing the Beatles as a youngster along with Cream, and Jimi Hendrix. It wasn’t until my brother asked about Jefferson Airplane that I said yes. Couldn’t pass seeing Grace Slick...what a hottie! Today she looks like someone’s grandma which saddens me.

You were fortunate to see them. It is really a shame that IU games from that period are not available on the internet. Someone needs to go through the archives and get them out so people can watch them. I can’t find any games of McGinnis or Wright. I looked for IU Kentucky from 12/71 when IU won in double OT and Downing had 47 pts and 25 rebounds and can’t find it. Not long after that was the dedication game for Assembly Hall when IU beat ND 94-29;and can’t find it. I know there is tape of these games someone just needs to go through and get them out.

I have never seen any tape of Jimmy Rayl and heck I would pay to see it but can’t fInd anything.
Hail the Splendid Splinter. He is at the 10 second line and he
shoots! lol

Did they have their own football field? Vaguely remember seeing them at Bosse Field but also saw them in the Reitz Bowl. Evansville had some good football back in those days.

I believe they played all their home games at Bosse Field.

mountmackey.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT