ADVERTISEMENT

What gives me the most hope

Fpeaugh2

Sophomore
Mar 16, 2021
What gives me the most hope for this staff is the fact that IU fans seem to be more rational and reasonable about it. Many I talk to don’t even think it’ll work. The ones who do think it’ll work are much more muted with their expectations than they’ve been in the past. IU fans sure are passionate but they’re equally foolish.

When both Crean and Archie were hired people absolutely went bonkers and lost their minds. All objective thought and reasoning was thrown aside because those guys “get it”. The cult members were sure of it. Multiple titles were guaranteed before multiple games were played. And they definitely didn’t let anyone question that.

Thankfully I don’t see that now. Irrational posters are reacting rationally. It’s refreshing. I think many are tired of being burned. Their lack of excitement gives me a ton of hope. My hope has always been that we judge coaches on results and not blind crimson glasses foolishness. After 20 years I think we’re finally getting there.

What gives me the most hope for this staff is the fact that IU fans seem to be more rational and reasonable about it. Many I talk to don’t even think it’ll work. The ones who do think it’ll work are much more muted with their expectations than they’ve been in the past. IU fans sure are passionate but they’re equally foolish.

When both Crean and Archie were hired people absolutely went bonkers and lost their minds. All objective thought and reasoning was thrown aside because those guys “get it”. The cult members were sure of it. Multiple titles were guaranteed before multiple games were played. And they definitely didn’t let anyone question that.

Thankfully I don’t see that now. Irrational posters are reacting rationally. It’s refreshing. I think many are tired of being burned. Their lack of excitement gives me a ton of hope. My hope has always been that we judge coaches on results and not blind crimson glasses foolishness. After 20 years I think we’re finally getting there.

no idea what you're talking about.

i thought Sampson was a horrible hire and said so immediately. (and immediately posted the NCAA microscope would be on all IU athletic teams).

i thought the Crean hire was bad, and lobbied hard against it before it was done.

same for the Miller hire.

don't confuse IU's social media army with long time fans.

Reactions: ufo33

i thought Sampson was a horrible hire and said so immediately. (and immediately posted the NCAA microscope would be on all IU athletic teams).

i thought the Crean hire was bad, and lobbied hard against it before it was done.

Those are the. only fans he can see from his mommy's basement.
And even then, he is full of it.

Yes, that was a straight-up bs post.

You way overhype this cult thing about Crean and Archie. Some fans just give the coach a fair shake and 4-5 years (be it good or bad) to do his rebuild job. I would say everyone judged Archie on results and jumped off his bandwagon after 4 years of results. Nothing cult like or unreasonable about that. You call it a cult and jump ship as soon the first sign of this is maybe not going to work. Unless something just goes entirely wrong any coach should get 4 rebuild years.

You're incredibly nutty. A lot of people were optimistic then in the same way they are optimistic now. In comparison to Matt Painter, those guys were worth the hype.

Reactions: Al Bino
Another genius post from the feepee files. Why do you keep rehashing the same crap over and over? I’ll tell you, it’s because you are a festering boil on a trolls arse. ~written from my Mum’s basement~

What gives me the most hope is that you will be banned or go on hiatus again. Seriously, WTF are you talking about. Very few people had some serious expectation of Crean when he was hired.
Why aren’t you still “limited” in your posts? Or was that all BS too because you didn’t actually have info to share?

Man, from what I remember, this is way off base. Crean never excited me or pretty much anyone I know or talked with. Pretty much felt it was an average at best hire, but MAYBE he had it in him to take us to a F4. The only exuberance I recall around Crean was that the word circulating earlier in the day was that Krueger was going to be the hire....and most (including me) felt he wasn't the long term answer.

Now I'll give you Arch to a certain point. Pretty much all of the national media felt like he was a can't miss. I liked him too, but mostly because I thought we were getting a no nonsense coach that would guide us for the next 20+ years. I also said, he was far from a home run...just not proven enough on the national stage. But I will admit, I was way more hopeful with him than Crean.

Who’s upset about Woodson? Everyone seems quite pleased with the job he’s doing.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Crean wasn’t bad, I started to question him the year Mo Creek went down, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. The Cuse game was the end for me.

Archie lost me during the 12 out of 13 stretch. Not sure what the deals was with him, but he never clicked.

I never claimed either one of them would win a natty, let alone several.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
What gives me the most hope is that you will be banned or go on hiatus again. Seriously, WTF are you talking about. Very few people had some serious expectation of Crean when he was hired.
Why aren’t you still “limited” in your posts? Or was that all BS too because you didn’t actually have info to share?
He's a Purdue troll.

I base my excitement on the responses from the kids he's going after....what CMW brings to the table, pro experience, due to a lack of schollies available, it seems he's going after what we need RIGHT NOW. Also making contacts and letting his staff do their job....a this is tempered by the fact that 70% of the roster was here last year so we'll see how far we go

My goodness that was funny. You are very eloquent and I could not have agreed more!
Thank you

Reactions: rocketo

This is the 2nd most disingenuous post I've ever seen on these boards

*insert the "jesse what the hell are you talking about" breaking bad meme

Reactions: RunninRichie
Crean wasn’t bad, I started to question him the year Mo Creek went down, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. The Cuse game was the end for me.

Archie lost me during the 12 out of 13 stretch. Not sure what the deals was with him, but he never clicked.

I never claimed either one of them would win a natty, let alone several.
He was horrid from the get go. Cal started with more talent, but continued to get better. Crean got worse then Cody saved his job for several years.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

Words of wisdom and "rationality" from the great Feepaw. More like rambling idiocy and self-aggrandizement. Yeah, you were the only rational, reasoning and objective poster on this board.

"Their lack of excitement gives me a ton of hope." For what?

I had hope for Crean. I had hope for Miller. That's passionate, not foolish.

I was pushing for Mike Woodson to be the next IU BB coach on this board two weeks before he was hired. Guess I'm the leader of this "cult."

What would be "refreshing" is your not coming on this board and posting your judgmental crap. I don't always enjoy the childish banter/name calling that some posters seem to get off on, but we're all entitled to our opinion, be it bonkers, unreasoning, irrational or foolish.

Been a long twenty years. Guess it has driven us all a little crazy.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I disagree with you on a couple things. I think with Cream the fan base was split pretty early on. On one hand he had some success, but on the other his defense optional approach was not very endearing to many IU fans.

I think Miller was exciting to many fans when hired because he appeared to do things the IU way so to speak. Plus universally every expert seemed to think he was a can’t miss hire. Unfortunately after 4 years the results were not good enough and I think most on this board thought he might get more time because of the buy out and not performance.

IMO the expectations aren’t tempered because of any lessons learned, but because the majority of fans on this site seemed to want anyone but a former IU and Knight player. Every seemed to want to try the next best thing again as we did with Miller.

What brings me hope is Coach Woodson’s IU family approach with a focus on accountability. That and his long history in the NBA and my assumption that we will have a good combination of IU history and an embracing of how the college game is heading. Plus I am a fan of all the moves he has made so far with his staff and players he has brought in. That gives me hope.

Much like Miller though, I am willing to give Coach Woodson 4-5 years to get this thing right because I think often times it takes that long. Fingers crossed we see a fast turnaround though.

Reactions: .Gerdis
A non-toxic environment of non-favoritism and better recruiting that will allow Fife to sit back again and learn from the head coach for many years from now. MSU had him and we got him back, if there's any 1 player I think could pull another 30 years of relatively consistent dominance, it would be him, and look who's grooming him for it.

wut?

Ok, I’ll play.

Like you, I’ll try to speak with authority on the IU fan base.

Caveat: any thoughts I have may be biased from being active on Peegs com, and the IIBF prior to that. It’s easy to try to draw some generalizations about a wide swath of people by listening to a few people who have nothing better to do than post all day.

A brief history of the IU fan base post RMK

MD era:
The fan base splits. A group of die hard IU fans are disappointed with the manner in which the Knight era ends, and the New regime assumes power. Some fans migrate away. MD vows to change “everything about IU basketball “. A hot Ncaa run after IU upsets Duke buys MD time. Then comes “Orlando”, the “basement” incident, and the “head hitting” incidents. Clearly he was in over his head. He left the IU fan base divided. Interest was dwindling.

KS: IU tries to be Oklahoma. Fans are pissed. Knocked off the high horse of being the rare college team that did things “the right way”, more TVs are tuned away from Hoosier hoops, as IU fans (wisely?) begin to prioritize more important things like family, chores, exercise, hobbies over watching a game that used to define their existence.

Crean: he said some good things at first. Talked of rebuilding the IU basketball family, made initial olive branch efforts towards former players. The fans were patient.

But, expectations had been so crushed. Many younger fans had never seen a great IU team. Next thing you know we are putting watfords face on popcorn boxes fir hitting a game winner in a game that didn’t matter. Fans sell We’re back tee shirts”. IU (ironically) loses to the “Orange” Men. The seeds of Crean hatred are planted. Some people dig in with their support of the coach.

Miller- seemed like the opposite of Crean. Fans seemed genuinely pleased with the hire. I thought he could end the roller coaster and make us a poor man’s Wisconsin under Bo (ncaa ever year, compete for B- 10). He didn’t come close.

Bottom line: all the coaches above (blame the IU admin) helped drive away IU fans. Interest waned. Expectations plummeted. Sure, here on Peegs you had some people that would dig in and defend each of the above coaches against criticism, taking anything said that was critical as a personal attack on all things IU. Each time, they would eventually join the critics as the blood appeared in the water.

Present/ future:
Will this lead to a reconciliation of the IU fan base? I sure hope so. This is probably the last chance IU has at restoring the fan base and getting interest up. I commend the admin for at least trying to do something very different.

You got any new inside info?

I reserve hope for, “Will little Billy ever find his lost dog, Rex?”

This about expectation. I feel like IU has finally done what it should have done years ago. Now it’s time get this freight train rolling. I expect IU to get back in to the yearly conversation about who are the BT and NCAA title contenders. Next year, I expect the team play like It has pride in being part of Indiana basketball history.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Talking to another big IU fan just this past Sunday...We both believe.. We will be a tournament team ..And probably top 5 in the Big....
We have positive hope ~

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT