ADVERTISEMENT

What gives me the most hope

What gives me the most hope for this staff is the fact that IU fans seem to be more rational and reasonable about it. Many I talk to don’t even think it’ll work. The ones who do think it’ll work are much more muted with their expectations than they’ve been in the past. IU fans sure are passionate but they’re equally foolish.

When both Crean and Archie were hired people absolutely went bonkers and lost their minds. All objective thought and reasoning was thrown aside because those guys “get it”. The cult members were sure of it. Multiple titles were guaranteed before multiple games were played. And they definitely didn’t let anyone question that.

Thankfully I don’t see that now. Irrational posters are reacting rationally. It’s refreshing. I think many are tired of being burned. Their lack of excitement gives me a ton of hope. My hope has always been that we judge coaches on results and not blind crimson glasses foolishness. After 20 years I think we’re finally getting there.
What gives me the most hope for this staff is the fact that IU fans seem to be more rational and reasonable about it. Many I talk to don’t even think it’ll work. The ones who do think it’ll work are much more muted with their expectations than they’ve been in the past. IU fans sure are passionate but they’re equally foolish.

When both Crean and Archie were hired people absolutely went bonkers and lost their minds. All objective thought and reasoning was thrown aside because those guys “get it”. The cult members were sure of it. Multiple titles were guaranteed before multiple games were played. And they definitely didn’t let anyone question that.

Thankfully I don’t see that now. Irrational posters are reacting rationally. It’s refreshing. I think many are tired of being burned. Their lack of excitement gives me a ton of hope. My hope has always been that we judge coaches on results and not blind crimson glasses foolishness. After 20 years I think we’re finally getting there.
Assuming correctness, I find great solace in your assertion. I say this because IU had approximately a 20 year run of bad basketball after which Bob Knight was viewed as an underwhelming hire in ‘71. Branch McCracken’s last 10 years were disappointing, as were Lou Watson’s 6 or so seasons. So here we are today, after ~20 years of bad basketball, this time with Woodson, in a hire some may say looks like an act of desperation...”Let’s hire an IU guy this time since nothing else has worked (Would have been done a long time ago if not for the hatred directed towards Coach Knight). Let’s hope history repeats itself, in some form or fashion, with Coach Woodson. That Knight guy did pretty well, starting off like a gangbuster with a gun.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
Assuming correctness, I find great solace in your assertion. I say this because IU had approximately a 20 year run of bad basketball after which Bob Knight was viewed as an underwhelming hire in ‘71. Branch McCracken’s last 10 years were disappointing, as were Lou Watson’s 6 or so seasons. So here we are today, after ~20 years of bad basketball, this time with Woodson, in a hire some may say looks like an act of desperation...”Let’s hire an IU guy this time since nothing else has worked (Would have been done a long time ago if not for the hatred directed towards Coach Knight). Let’s hope history repeats itself, in some form or fashion, with Coach Woodson. That Knight guy did pretty well, starting off like a gangbuster with a gun.
Unfortunately, your fixation on BK and your bitterness related to his departure really clouds any intelligent view toward our program, just as it clouds your view as to his tenure and responsibility for what occurred. I know you don’t believe BK ever did anything wrong and that everyone else was to blame for his downfall, except him, but it makes you incredibly out of touch with reality.

I guess I missed the part where I was suppose to care about your level of hope.

Who’s upset about Woodson? Everyone seems quite pleased with the job he’s doing.
Exactly. I was a bit skeptical at first, but then he seemed to hit the ground running and quickly made moves to procure key returning players and bring in key players, plus build an impressive staff. He did more to prepare for future success in one month than Archie did in 4 years! It really makes our last two coaches look amateurish. Woodson is a doer and you can tell a winner.

Who’s upset about Woodson? Everyone seems quite pleased with the job he’s doing.
Exactly. I was a bit skeptical at first, but then he seemed to hit the ground running and quickly made moves to procure key returning players and bring in key players, plus build an impressive staff. He did more to prepare for future success in one month than Archie did in 4 years! It really makes our last two coaches look amateurish. Woodson is a doer and you can tell a winner.

Ok, I’ll play.

Like you, I’ll try to speak with authority on the IU fan base.

Caveat: any thoughts I have may be biased from being active on Peegs com, and the IIBF prior to that. It’s easy to try to draw some generalizations about a wide swath of people by listening to a few people who have nothing better to do than post all day.

A brief history of the IU fan base post RMK

MD era:
The fan base splits. A group of die hard IU fans are disappointed with the manner in which the Knight era ends, and the New regime assumes power. Some fans migrate away. MD vows to change “everything about IU basketball “. A hot Ncaa run after IU upsets Duke buys MD time. Then comes “Orlando”, the “basement” incident, and the “head hitting” incidents. Clearly he was in over his head. He left the IU fan base divided. Interest was dwindling.

KS: IU tries to be Oklahoma. Fans are pissed. Knocked off the high horse of being the rare college team that did things “the right way”, more TVs are tuned away from Hoosier hoops, as IU fans (wisely?) begin to prioritize more important things like family, chores, exercise, hobbies over watching a game that used to define their existence.

Crean: he said some good things at first. Talked of rebuilding the IU basketball family, made initial olive branch efforts towards former players. The fans were patient.

But, expectations had been so crushed. Many younger fans had never seen a great IU team. Next thing you know we are putting watfords face on popcorn boxes fir hitting a game winner in a game that didn’t matter. Fans sell We’re back tee shirts”. IU (ironically) loses to the “Orange” Men. The seeds of Crean hatred are planted. Some people dig in with their support of the coach.

Miller- seemed like the opposite of Crean. Fans seemed genuinely pleased with the hire. I thought he could end the roller coaster and make us a poor man’s Wisconsin under Bo (ncaa ever year, compete for B- 10). He didn’t come close.

Bottom line: all the coaches above (blame the IU admin) helped drive away IU fans. Interest waned. Expectations plummeted. Sure, here on Peegs you had some people that would dig in and defend each of the above coaches against criticism, taking anything said that was critical as a personal attack on all things IU. Each time, they would eventually join the critics as the blood appeared in the water.

Present/ future:
Will this lead to a reconciliation of the IU fan base? I sure hope so. This is probably the last chance IU has at restoring the fan base and getting interest up. I commend the admin for at least trying to do something very different.
Good post. This is pretty accurate. Although I don’t think you can overstate the cult like following Crean had up until the Syracuse loss. I’ve never seen anything like it.

And I think you nailed it with regards to younger fans never seeing IU be great. Those fans are the ones always yelling the loudest and making the most guarantees on here. They just don’t know any better and unfortunately they’re unwilling to learn. I guess that’s just youth.

So you finally just admitted what we all here knew, that you are not an IU fan. Otherwise why did you use the word "they" when referring to IU fans. Try to keep up Junior.

Reactions: minneman
Good post. This is pretty accurate. Although I don’t think you can overstate the cult like following Crean had up until the Syracuse loss. I’ve never seen anything like it.

And I think you nailed it with regards to younger fans never seeing IU be great. Those fans are the ones always yelling the loudest and making the most guarantees on here. They just don’t know any better and unfortunately they’re unwilling to learn. I guess that’s just youth.
But Crean had IU number 1 for 9 weeks!

So you finally just admitted what we all here knew, that you are not an IU fan. Otherwise why did you use the word "they" when referring to IU fans. Try to keep up Junior.
He's a troll and an attention whore. Quit giving him attention.

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

Unfortunately, your fixation on BK and your bitterness related to his departure really clouds any intelligent view toward our program, just as it clouds your view as to his tenure and responsibility for what occurred. I know you don’t believe BK ever did anything wrong and that everyone else was to blame for his downfall, except him, but it makes you incredibly out of touch with reality.
Bob’s only fault was that he knew how to be an asshole when he wanted to be, all too frequently. The only reality I’m out of touch with is yours. My reality is fine-it works for me and me only. I’ll say it again...You are who you think you are. I choose to think of Knight as a good man, not without faults, but certainly more positive than negative. Am I right or wrong in your reality? In mine, he’s my friend...an inspiration to me who gave me lots of joyful entertainment for which I will always be grateful. What you think in your reality doesn’t matter in mine. This is the reality I’ve created, one where life is good. People around Knight did him wrong and it pissed him off time after time. How do I know this? I think it. It’s really that simple.

Wait, so your optimism is based off how other message board posters and other IU fans seem to think and feel about the program? What are your basketball reasons? Leadership reasons? Recruiting reasons? Coaching philosophy reasons? Talent related reasons?.................................................

Fans managing expectations have nothing to do with anything good.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
He was horrid from the get go. Cal started with more talent, but continued to get better. Crean got worse then Cody saved his job for several years.
Crean started w a returning ppg of 1.8. He raised the program to his level of inadequacy and leveled off. Miller started w a full roster and stunk up the joint. It all began w Knight’s firing and instead of hiring a decent coach the following year stuck with Mike Davis ... only bc the players demanded Davis be the coach. Never let kids do the job the adults should have been doing.

Bob’s only fault was that he knew how to be an asshole when he wanted to be, all too frequently. The only reality I’m out of touch with is yours. My reality is fine-it works for me and me only. I’ll say it again...You are who you think you are. I choose to think of Knight as a good man, not without faults, but certainly more positive than negative. Am I right or wrong in your reality? In mine, he’s my friend...an inspiration to me who gave me lots of joyful entertainment for which I will always be grateful. What you think in your reality doesn’t matter in mine. This is the reality I’ve created, one where life is good. People around Knight did him wrong and it pissed him off time after time. How do I know this? I think it. It’s really that simple.
You left your coffee mug on the counter...

614PV1lRxgL._AC_.jpg

😉

Reactions: abraxis

You're a national treasure.

Wait, so your optimism is based off how other message board posters and other IU fans seem to think and feel about the program? What are your basketball reasons? Leadership reasons? Recruiting reasons? Coaching philosophy reasons? Talent related reasons?.................................................

Fans managing expectations have nothing to do with anything good.
“They” refers to the cult members, of which you were one. You don’t have to be a delusional cult member to be a fan.

My optimism comes largely from the fact that most on this board are always wrong. Always. If you could just fade their predictions you’d break Vegas. It’s a great thing that there’s not the blind optimism like past hires.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT