ADVERTISEMENT

What does Mike Woodson bring?

Harpo Marxist

Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2002
I am a bit uncomfortable with this talk about Coach MW being able to put players in the pros. I am also not crazy about hearing him talk about that quite so much. RMK did not make going to the pros a priority, If it was meant to be...so be it.

Yes...getting to the pros is important. But...I want Coach Woodson to focus on something else........wisdom.

Knowledge + common sense = wisdom. Mike Woodson has a wealth of wisdom. Basketball wisdom.....life wisdom.

I want Coach Woodson to make wisdom the foundation of his coaching foundation at IU...not pro basketball. I say this because....what if his first year or two........the pros don't take his players as advertised? Then what...? Wisdom...he has a wealth of that so that if pro ball works....great....if not...its all good.

Reactions: hoosierraven
I am a bit uncomfortable with this talk about Coach MW being able to put players in the pros. I am also not crazy about hearing him talk about that quite so much. RMK did not make going to the pros a priority, If it was meant to be...so be it.

Yes...getting to the pros is important. But...I want Coach Woodson to focus on something else........wisdom.

Knowledge + common sense = wisdom. Mike Woodson has a wealth of wisdom. Basketball wisdom.....life wisdom.

I want Coach Woodson to make wisdom the foundation of his coaching foundation at IU...not pro basketball. I say this because....what if his first year or two........the pros don't take his players as advertised? Then what...? Wisdom...he has a wealth of that so that if pro ball works....great....if not...its all good.
How about if you email him your thoughts rather than post them on a chat board?

I understand your point. It is important to develop lives not just basketball players.
I wonder if today, you need to bring them in with nba hopes and teach life along the way.

Reactions: Champs1976

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the NBA aspect of the message. He's been pretty clear about the importance of getting coachable guys and the value of long term relationships.

They won't, we know that already, we have MAYBE 1 player in TJD that could be drafted in the 2nd round, and that's if he massively improves. First tasks are culture, expectations, and recruiting. Not a lot of talent here, but AM was so horrendous, I'm not sure if we know what any of our players can do with good coaching.

Not the way I have processed his comments. Seems to be he is more about knowing what it takes to get there and about his focus on developing players on and off the court. He’s not a stupid guy. He knows not all the players will make it into the NBA. But if he has a player with the potential, he will be able to communicate what it’s going to take and where to focus.

There are no free tickets and each player has to put in the work. Even then, no guarantee. All a coach can do is put the players in position to be successful, teach them the right way to do things, hold them accountable, and push them to be the best they can be. The rest is up to the individual.

Reactions: Champs1976

Harpo, did you go to IU Bloomington for college? If so, what was your favorite place to eat in Bloomington?

ADVERTISEMENT