ADVERTISEMENT

What does it take for Archie to get an extension next year?

None of those sports matter if IU basketball sucks. Basketball is the golden goose at IU, if it sucks they all suck.
The golden goose?
It’s definitely not the cash cow.

C’mon....this is Neanderthal thinking.

Nobody relies on basketball to define its sports program unless it doesn’t have the other sport at the university. Many programs passed IU 30 years ago when the schools that had success in other sports got funds to their b-ball programs.

Whether or not you like the other sports, you’d be a fool to discard them. You should want them to do well to make basketball better than it is.

Your thinking is archaic.

But to answer your question, I would extend him if next season is better than last season, but with little to no buyout, and I'd keep him on the hot seat every season until he wins a conference championship or makes a final 4.

I'm not as down on him as most are, but this isn't acceptable either.

If TJD bolts, I might fire Archie the same day. It's hard to see us being better next year without him.

But to answer your question, I would extend him if next season is better than last season, but with little to no buyout, and I'd keep him on the hot seat every season until he wins a conference championship or makes a final 4.

If TJD bolts, I might fire Archie the same day. It's hard to see us being better next year without him.
It won't work, coaches contracts are public. It would the equivalent of giving him an extra year at the veteran's minimum in the NBA every year. That info would certainly be used against him in recruiting

Let’s face it, the heat right now is likely not enough for the AD to cut bait. We haven’t even heard a “vote of confidence” and likely won’t.

There’s a 50% drop in Archie’s buyout in spring 2022. Next year is his 5th of seven on the current contract. He HAS to earn a contract extension next year. No way IU lets him dead man walk into the last two years of his current contract (it would absolutely tank recruiting and bury the program). SO, next year is do or die, a butt-scorching hotseat from hell.

So, what performance/record will it take to earn Archie an extension? Because that’s the multi-million dollar question.

20-wins and a tourney berth would likely do it.
How much of your net worth would you care to bet on that?

TJD ought to leave now, what is the point in him staying another year? I love the young man but it is going to be hard for him to compete in the NBA unless he can develop a jump shot. Maybe he can develop one during the off season. If not, he can play overseas and get a nice contract to do so.

Fvvck, IU should be a force in its own conference. Nothing less than a Big Ten championship next year. And that's just the starting point. Win the BTT or at least be in the championship game. Then a high seed and a STRONG run in the NCAA.

Don't see any of that happening, however.
Like and LOL!!

So the buyout now is at around 10 mil. If we keep him another year thats 3 mil in salary and then the buyout drops to 5 million. Thats only a difference of 2 million. I say they try to negotiate a 6-7 mil buyout and then go out and make a good hire.
the current buyout of approx. $10.5 million would drop to approx. $3.5 million on 4/1/2022

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
The buyout drops to 3.5M. And you don't have to pay someone else to do the job, or pay that coach's buyout to bring him here.

Another year or Archie saves quite a bit of money, especially if he turns it around.

On the other hand, there are donors who can pay all that without batting an eye if that's what they want to do.
and I suspect several of them would.....if they thought a certain someone was waiting in the wings

but he likely isn't, and I doubt most if any of them would pay that same amount for any other potential replacement

How much of your net worth would you care to bet on that?

Sorry, maybe I misread you, thinking kool-aid drinker. They will can him as soon as they realize the product he produces is causing apathy and hitting them at the box office. You think they want a repeat of an NIT game like Crean had that should have been played in AH, but let's just go play it at Georgia Tech again so we don't have to draw local and national attention of you being booed out of the building scenario. That will be the entirety of next year in things don't improve and there's no reason for optimisim

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
I hate that non revenue sports take money from the basketball program. Hate it. No idea why people get so mad and think that my opinion that some woman's golfer should not get all this funding for no reason is reason to call me a motherfvcker. They want to do all this stuff, pay for it yourself. I am not paying to watch it, neither are you. Why take my money and use it for it? I am not down with that, sorry.

I'm an IU grad (as was my dad and grandmother) and yes, being a 50 year old dude basketball is my thing that I spend most of my attention on.

The basketball program is definitely in the entertainment business but it's not really in the entertainment business.

It just doesn't work that way.

It's a college first and it's main responsibility is supposed to be giving all of our student athletes the best college experience that it can.

I agree with you on a lot but not this even though I feel you.

Oh, don't be surprised if we beat MSU and Purdue if he keeps Hunter at the three. That lineup only got down five unofficially.

Hunter, even though he does some dumb shit, is our only wing that isn't one demensional. He's not great at anything but he's an okay lengthy defender, a good shooter and can rebound.

Probably no way we win both (which I think would almost officially eliminate us because I think there is a. 500 overall policy for the Ncaa and we now have to win both to offset the upcoming BTT loss.

I think we get one of two if he keeps with the lineup he started today.

I can not go forward with Archie being coach. He is the definition of insane. He will not change his philosophy and development are disgrace to the Indiana program.

Man, I am telling you, the vibe in Bloomington is very bad. I know many donors that sit on the court, all pissed. He wont make it. They are gonna let fans go to the B1G tourney I think, he will get booed on national TV, I promise.

Has to win one of these next 2 games or he is gone. Id bet the farm on it.
How big is your farm? Do you have any livestock? I have a $100 bet with @Aloha Hoosier that our boys would lose out. Thinking I might be able to parlay that $100 into some feed for the animals and really turn this $100 into something bigger and I have always wanted a farm. Particularly one with a pond that I can fish.

I'm an IU grad (as was my dad and grandmother) and yes, being a 50 year old dude basketball is my thing that I spend most of my attention on.

The basketball program is definitely in the entertainment business but it's not really in the entertainment business.

It just doesn't work that way.

It's a college first and it's main responsibility is supposed to be giving all of our student athletes the best college experience that it can.

I agree with you on a lot but not this even though I feel you.

Oh, don't be surprised if we beat MSU and Purdue if he keeps Hunter at the three. That lineup only got down five unofficially.

Hunter, even though he does some dumb shit, is our only wing that isn't one demensional. He's not great at anything but he's an okay lengthy defender, a good shooter and can rebound.

Probably no way we win both (which I think would almost officially eliminate us because I think there is a. 500 overall policy for the Ncaa and we now have to win both to offset the upcoming BTT loss.

I think we get one of two if he keeps with the lineup he started today.
I took some frustration out on women’s golf. I don’t care that much, much more shitty at our lack of desire to win basketball games.

Hey, I bet my buddy Hunter would be in the nba at some point before his injury, I love the guy. He is a dog, we don’t have many if any others on the team. We both love that lineup with him at 3.

Some people laughed at me when I said we need Jerome, Al and Franklin to shoot more. They all are above average shooters, and I stand by that statement. Launch 5+ a game from all those guys, and since Franklin is out, Jerome you take his.

I would be shocked if IU doesn’t win one of the last 2. Keeping Archie because he has made steady progress is what the narrative will be. Then of course I’ll burn it down.

Reactions: TommyCracker
How big is your farm? Do you have any livestock? I have a $100 bet with @Aloha Hoosier that our boys would lose out. Thinking I might be able to parlay that $100 into some feed for the animals and really turn this $100 into something bigger and I have always wanted a farm. Particularly one with a pond that I can fish.

working on the farm. I only own about 6 acres. Connected to 100 acres on the north and 300 to the south of me. Both cool landowners that I have been working to sell since I moved in. Nice pond on the south side landowners parcel. We stocked it for catfish a few years back, and had a few albinos that are now over 2 feet and you can see darting through the water on a clear day.

that’s my farm story I know you were dying to hear.

Dire Financial strains, thats rich. Those jackasses (IU athletic Dept.) have been asking for more money all through Covid from me. Guess how they are gonna get it. Fire the guy for the only sport that matters to me. Maybe we don't build a 20 million buck facility for the water polo team next year.
While I don't agree with all of your comments I believe you are correct. If you want to build a good athletic department from top to bottom you do what it takes to get the moneymakers (men's b'ball and football) healthy with good results and good revenue. Then you worry about that $20 mil water polo.

Up north, when Tiller was having some success the AD did not fund the program enough, he had trouble getting assistants and the program slid. Where was the money going? Non-revenue sports. They were doing the same to Painter until Mizzu came into the picture. While you all make fun of $$ going to Purdue football, the current administration is doing the right thing. Funding it to be competitive.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
While I don't agree with all of your comments I believe you are correct. If you want to build a good athletic department from top to bottom you do what it takes to get the moneymakers (men's b'ball and football) healthy with good results and good revenue. Then you worry about that $20 mil water polo.

Up north, when Tiller was having some success the AD did not fund the program enough, he had trouble getting assistants and the program slid. Where was the money going? Non-revenue sports. They were doing the same to Painter until Mizzu came into the picture. While you all make fun of $$ going to Purdue football, the current administration is doing the right thing. Funding it to be competitive.

Folks at Pu are not stupid, actually they are pretty damn smart. They just have a fetish for fat ugly chicks i will never understand. ;)

I want IU to be good at basketball, and willing to do much more then our admin to be good. My opinion matters very very little unfortunately, so who gives a F what I think.
I agree with 99% of what you say about IUBB. But don’t throw every other sport under the bus to fix basketball. Read the accomplishments in the Hoosier Daily today of every other program. The soccer team was upset by Northwestern but see what else is happening. Do you like to watch the USA succeed in the Olympics? Where do you think those athletes get trained before joining the US team? Have you ever watched IU soccer? The last couple laps of the mile at an indoor track meet? They’re pretty damned exciting if you’d give it a chance

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I agree with 99% of what you say about IUBB. But don’t throw every other sport under the bus to fix basketball. Read the accomplishments in the Hoosier Daily today of every other program. The soccer team was upset by Northwestern but see what else is happening. Do you like to watch the USA succeed in the Olympics? Where do you think those athletes get trained before joining the US team? Have you ever watched IU soccer? The last couple laps of the mile at an indoor track meet? They’re pretty damned exciting if you’d give it a chance

I don’t watch the Olympics, and strictly watch college basketball, NFL, boxing/ufc, and the NBA. I have moved off baseball, not enough action for me.

I have tried watching every other sport both live and on tv. Doesn’t do it for me. I like action, watching guys swim faster or run faster than someone else just isn’t fun for me.

I love watching the summer olympics, specifically swimming and gymnastics. Chief among all the sports is swimming and especially the relays. From a fitness, time committmemt and workout perspective, there are no better conditioned and trained athletes in the world than swimmers. I am sure I will get roasted for stating that, but it’s true.

Reactions: birdforbogey
working on the farm. I only own about 6 acres. Connected to 100 acres on the north and 300 to the south of me. Both cool landowners that I have been working to sell since I moved in. Nice pond on the south side landowners parcel. We stocked it for catfish a few years back, and had a few albinos that are now over 2 feet and you can see darting through the water on a clear day.

that’s my farm story I know you were dying to hear.
You still in on betting your farm stake on CAM being fired at years end?

I love watching the summer olympics, specifically swimming and gymnastics. Chief among all the sports is swimming and especially the relays. From a fitness, time committmemt and workout perspective, there are no better conditioned and trained athletes in the world than swimmers. I am sure I will get roasted for stating that, but it’s true.

To each their own buddy. I think it is awesome you like to watch men in peak physical condition, that have shaved every hair on their body to be silky smooth, wiggle about in the water in nothing but a thong.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that :).

To each their own buddy. I think it is awesome you like to watch men in peak physical condition, that have shaved every hair on their body to be silky smooth, wiggle about in the water in nothing but a thong.

You are funny. There are men’s and women’s swimming. Just fyi there Cav.

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh.13

No worries Cav. Soon the womens' teams will be full of trans dudes. Should be to your liking then.

I figured he'd pull a Crean and do just enough to save his job one more year, but Crean had legit excuses for his first 3 years and AM does not. Crean also had strong recruits coming in and AM does not. Crean's teams improved in that timeframe and AM's have regressed. Crean developed players, AM has not. There are lots of reasons, including the high probability of next year being worse that they may pull the trigger on him if he loses out

ummmm we have Gunn coming in! I’ve read what you all have had to say about him and he certainly seems like a big time game changer. A huge miss by the recruiting analysts having him outside the top 100. Seems like he should be in the top 10-15 range

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
I don’t watch the Olympics, and strictly watch college basketball, NFL, boxing/ufc, and the NBA. I have moved off baseball, not enough action for me.

I have tried watching every other sport both live and on tv. Doesn’t do it for me. I like action, watching guys swim faster or run faster than someone else just isn’t fun for me.

Watching IU basketball is definitely not exciting. It’s more akin to uncomfortably sliding into an Eazy-Boy recliner and preparing for a weekly colonoscopy sans the drugs.

You would need more than $100. I don't think $100 is enough to feed our dog and cats for a month. ;)

I was a competitive swimmer in high school. I was a wrestler too, but gave it up to concentrate on swimming. Swimming is the most physically demanding by far. Swimming, track and field, wrestling, and gymnastics are my favorite summer Olympic sports to watch.

Reactions: aajohn2000

That’s ok. But you be you. Just because you don’t like these sports doesn’t mean they’re worthless.

I don’t think it’s as straightforward as this many wins or this placement in the conference. He has to show that the trajectory of the program is shifting in the right direction, and significantly. What is the recruiting situation? Is the play on the court better than this season? If he can demonstrate that he has things on the upswing, then maybe he gets the chance to keep it going.
Recruiting? Archie has landed some nice players and it’s nice to see the Mr Indiana winners come here, but his overall roster building is shit.

The current four year trajectory has been shit.

An improvement over this year’s play doesn’t seem like a high bar.

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Laughable..
He's coaching here next year.
Dolson isn't making that move his first year.
100?%
Idk if it's good or bad..
But it won't happen..
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. The thing is Archie wasn’t hired by Dolson. Why should Dolson hook his future to such poor results? And next year without TJD and a mediocre recruiting class should project us finishing in the lower quarter of the B1G. It’s very obvious that the program is regressing and that recruiting is in the toilet. Fan support is dwindling. Can the support of the BOD be far behind that sentiment?

Reactions: SoccerSammy
0 chance he is our coach next year if we lose our next two games. You will see heat from the gates of hell put on the BOT if the tourney is held in Indiana and we miss it with his best roster.
This lady named Kay brought up a point on Dakich's show. IU is supposedly $40-50 million in the hole. Is that right? If it is then how could they pay a buy out?

I was a competitive swimmer in high school. I was a wrestler too, but gave it up to concentrate on swimming. Swimming is the most physically demanding by far. Swimming, track and field, wrestling, and gymnastics are my favorite summer Olympic sports to watch.
I was a competitive swimmer as well. It whipped my ass compared to all the other sports.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT