ADVERTISEMENT

What does it take for Archie to get an extension next year?

achoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
Chicago
Let’s face it, the heat right now is likely not enough for the AD to cut bait. We haven’t even heard a “vote of confidence” and likely won’t.

There’s a 50% drop in Archie’s buyout in spring 2022. Next year is his 5th of seven on the current contract. He HAS to earn a contract extension next year. No way IU lets him dead man walk into the last two years of his current contract (it would absolutely tank recruiting and bury the program). SO, next year is do or die, a butt-scorching hotseat from hell.

So, what performance/record will it take to earn Archie an extension? Because that’s the multi-million dollar question.

20-wins and a tourney berth would likely do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBT Assoc
Let’s face it, the heat right now is likely not enough for the AD to cut bait. We haven’t even heard a “vote of confidence” and likely won’t.

There’s a 50% drop in Archie’s buyout in spring 2022. Next year is his 5th of seven on the current contract. He HAS to earn a contract extension next year. No way IU lets him dead man walk into the last two years of his current contract (it would absolutely tank recruiting and bury the program). SO, next year is do or die, a butt-scorching hotseat from hell.

So, what performance/record will it take to earn Archie an extension? Because that’s the multi-million dollar question.
0 chance he is our coach next year if we lose our next two games. You will see heat from the gates of hell put on the BOT if the tourney is held in Indiana and we miss it with his best roster.

20-wins and a tourney berth would likely do it.

Fvvck, IU should be a force in its own conference. Nothing less than a Big Ten championship next year. And that's just the starting point. Win the BTT or at least be in the championship game. Then a high seed and a STRONG run in the NCAA.

Don't see any of that happening, however.

Reactions: IUgradman
0 chance he is our coach next year if we lose our next two games. You will see heat from the gates of hell put on the BOT if the tourney is held in Indiana and we miss it with his best roster.
Agree, I think his best chance of coming back is if COVID shuts everything down again and the tourney is cancelled. Sad but true. Honestly, there's almost 0 chance we win either. MSU is still fighting for the tourney, we are not, and PU will want to humiliate us again

I think IU exhausted that stuff with Crean. They haven’t reloaded. Yet. Just not sensing the same “hit the bricks” vibe and folks on the Premium board say big boosters are relatively fine with Archie, for now. Covid year may have softened people.

I know it seems nuts, but would not be the least bit surprised to see him given another season. Assume that nobody is eager to restart the carousel and people were jacked to give a young coach a chance.... basically, I think he has slack left.

Will the AH boo birds give him any? No. It could get ugly next year. But IU is gonna cling, and I also think TJD returns and everyone chills out... we’ll get ‘em next year!

But next year he has to show something. Or hit the bricks. Thing is, what exactly is the bar? Crean went to a S16, right?

I don’t think it’s as straightforward as this many wins or this placement in the conference. He has to show that the trajectory of the program is shifting in the right direction, and significantly. What is the recruiting situation? Is the play on the court better than this season? If he can demonstrate that he has things on the upswing, then maybe he gets the chance to keep it going.

Reactions: UncleMark
I think IU exhausted that stuff with Crean. They haven’t reloaded. Yet. Just not sensing the same “hit the bricks” vibe and folks on the Premium board say big boosters are relatively fine with Archie, for now. Covid year may have softened people.

I know it seems nuts, but would not be the least bit surprised to see him given another season. Assume that nobody is eager to restart the carousel and people were jacked to give a young coach a chance.... basically, I think he has slack left.

Will the AH boo birds give him any? No. It could get ugly next year. But IU is gonna cling, and I also think TJD returns and everyone chills out... we’ll get ‘em next year!

But next year he has to show something. Or hit the bricks. Thing is, what exactly is the bar? Crean went to a S16, right?

Man, I am telling you, the vibe in Bloomington is very bad. I know many donors that sit on the court, all pissed. He wont make it. They are gonna let fans go to the B1G tourney I think, he will get booed on national TV, I promise.

Has to win one of these next 2 games or he is gone. Id bet the farm on it.

Man, I am telling you, the vibe in Bloomington is very bad. I know many donors that sit on the court, all pissed. He wont make it. They are gonna let fans go to the B1G tourney I think, he will get booed on national TV, I promise.

Don’t see it. There’s a thread on the premium about the dire financial straits the athletic dept. is in.

Then again, no IU fan should feel remotely comfortable with this historically bad stretch vs. Purdue. We’ll see... decisions... decisions...

I figured he'd pull a Crean and do just enough to save his job one more year, but Crean had legit excuses for his first 3 years and AM does not. Crean also had strong recruits coming in and AM does not. Crean's teams improved in that timeframe and AM's have regressed. Crean developed players, AM has not. There are lots of reasons, including the high probability of next year being worse that they may pull the trigger on him if he loses out

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
So the buyout now is at around 10 mil. If we keep him another year thats 3 mil in salary and then the buyout drops to 5 million. Thats only a difference of 2 million. I say they try to negotiate a 6-7 mil buyout and then go out and make a good hire.

Reactions: 76-1 and Al Bino
Don’t see it. There’s a thread on the premium about the dire financial straits the athletic dept. is in.

Then again, no IU fan should feel remotely comfortable with this historically bad stretch vs. Purdue. We’ll see... decisions... decisions...

Dire Financial strains, thats rich. Those jackasses (IU athletic Dept.) have been asking for more money all through Covid from me. Guess how they are gonna get it. Fire the guy for the only sport that matters to me. Maybe we don't build a 20 million buck facility for the water polo team next year.

Understand IU may have less money flexibility. But some money may be reduced by a negotiated settlement, some by a new contract he gets elsewhere, and you should factor in lost revenue of fans that do not go to the games, buy merchandise, listen to the radio or tv shows, etc.

Dire Financial strains, thats rich. Those jackasses (IU athletic Dept.) have been asking for more money all through Covid from me. Guess how they are gonna get it. Fire the guy for the only sport that matters to me. Maybe we don't build a 20 million buck facility for the water polo team next year.
They keep asking me for money. No more from me.

They’re asking for more money because they need it. The athletic department finances have taken an extremely hard hit due to Covid. How are you unable to comprehend this?

They’re asking for more money because they need it. The athletic department finances have taken an extremely hard hit due to Covid. How are you unable to comprehend this?

Oh I get it, they spend money on things that aren't important to me. This "24 sports one team" slogan can eat a dick. I want my basketball program to be good and not sacrifice for all these other sports because its the PC thing to do.

You know how they can get a shit ton of money real quick? Hire a good basketball coach and win some games.

Oh I get it, they spend money on things that aren't important to me. This "24 sports one team" slogan can eat a dick. I want my basketball program to be good and not sacrifice for all these other sports because its the PC thing to do.

You know how they can get a shit ton of money real quick? Hire a good basketball coach and win some games.
You say that because you’re not an IU guy, and because you don’t give anything, anyway.

You say that because you’re not an IU guy, and because you don’t give anything, anyway.

You can try to pull this BS you aren't a grad/fan on your other posters, I know it really gets you off.

I am a ridiculous over the top IU fan, grad, born and raised, decade season ticket holder and donor. You sir are a bipolar Dbag looking for a fight. Come to an IU game and look down to the court I'll be there more often than not my man.

You can try to pull this BS you aren't a grad/fan on your other posters, I know it really gets you off.

I am a ridiculous over the top IU fan, grad, born and raised, decade season ticket holder and donor. You sir are a bipolar Dbag looking for a fight. Come to an IU game and look down to the court I'll be there more often than not my man.
No IU fan would say what you did about the other sports, and we’ve all read your posts enough to know you’re not an IU grad.

Not to mention you shared a pic of your diploma already...

Heard from an insider that the plan is to turn Simon Skojdt into an indoor paintball arena and diverting remaining budget to Memorial Stadium in conjunction with Nick’s English Hut and Zaxby’s to build corporate suites.
Plan B is switching to the MAC conference for basketball.

Laughable..
He's coaching here next year.
Dolson isn't making that move his first year.
100?%
Idk if it's good or bad..
But it won't happen..

Reactions: JBT Assoc

Ummmm..... don’t be a douche. Most
Fans care about other sports. Since you haven’t been paying attention IU is pretty damned good at soccer, cross country, swimming, women’s basketball, football and decent in a couple others

Fans care about other sports. Since you haven’t been paying attention IU is pretty damned good at soccer, cross country, swimming, women’s basketball, football and decent in a couple others

I mean if me not caring about swimming makes me a douche so be it. I'll never not be honest, don't care about anything but Basketball. Most Kansas alum I know (worked on the Kansas border for a year don't recommend it) could care less about anything but basketball.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I mean if me not caring about swimming makes me a douche so be it. I'll never not be honest, don't care about anything but Basketball. Most Kansas alum I know (worked on the Kansas border for a year don't recommend it) could care less about anything but basketball.
I don't care about anything but basketball and football. That doesn't mean I want austerity for the kids in the other sports. Fvck you mf

I don't care about anything but basketball and football. That doesn't mean I want austerity for the kids in the other sports. Fvck you mf

I hate that non revenue sports take money from the basketball program. Hate it. No idea why people get so mad and think that my opinion that some woman's golfer should not get all this funding for no reason is reason to call me a motherfvcker. They want to do all this stuff, pay for it yourself. I am not paying to watch it, neither are you. Why take my money and use it for it? I am not down with that, sorry.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I hate that non revenue sports take money from the basketball program. Hate it. No idea why people get so mad and think that my opinion that some woman's golfer should not get all this funding for no reason is reason to call me a motherfvcker. They want to do all this stuff, pay for it yourself. I am not paying to watch it, neither are you. Why take my money and use it for it? I am not down with that, sorry.
You’re an imbecile if you don’t understand the value of “non-revenue” sports

Reactions: limestonecowboy
An example of IU not wanting to win as much as KU. They have 2,500 people at the game and 100s of students jumping up and down behind the goal. They are gonna beat Baylor. AH is IU's biggest advantage, but would be the last place to allow fans in America. Holier than thou, ol IU. Asshats.

None of those sports matter if IU basketball sucks. Basketball is the golden goose at IU, if it sucks they all suck.

Just FYI: relying on basketball to fund a school’s athletic budget is a confirmed bad strategy to run your athletic department. Most of all the schools that beat the tar out of us in basketball year after year consider basketball a secondary focus. It isn’t hard to run a competitive basketball program and not throw every dime at it. Take a look at the top-25 today. What is the pattern?

I count 17 teams in that top-25 that do not consider basketball the marquee draw.

It’s not hard to do, actually.
From a business case standpoint, your idea is not good at all.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Just FYI: relying on basketball to fund a school’s athletic budget is a confirmed bad strategy to run your athletic department. Most of all the schools that beat the tar out of us in basketball year after year consider basketball a secondary focus. It isn’t hard to run a competitive basketball program and not throw every dime at it. Take a look at the top-25 today. What is the pattern?

I count 17 teams in that top-25 that do not consider basketball the marquee draw.

It’s not hard to do, actually.
From a business case standpoint, your idea is not good at all.

I am all for football, I said non revenue, learn to read before criticizing me. Football is God and everyone knows it. Very few schools can pull off just being basketball dominant, IU is in that conversation.

Hell parlay this Tom Allen thing into something sustainable, I pray to god it happens, only helps basketball. You know what doesn't tho? Womans rowing on Lake Lemon, prob just built them a mansion on the lake.

Is anyone a bigger fan of Tom Allen than Archie Miller? Indiana fans would be even more frustrated if it weren’t for that previous Football Season to comfort us.

So the buyout now is at around 10 mil. If we keep him another year thats 3 mil in salary and then the buyout drops to 5 million. Thats only a difference of 2 million. I say they try to negotiate a 6-7 mil buyout and then go out and make a good hire.
The buyout drops to 3.5M. And you don't have to pay someone else to do the job, or pay that coach's buyout to bring him here.

Another year or Archie saves quite a bit of money, especially if he turns it around.

On the other hand, there are donors who can pay all that without batting an eye if that's what they want to do.

ADVERTISEMENT