ADVERTISEMENT

What does CTA mean by "Head Coach of the Offense"?

lUCX9

Benchwarmer
Nov 30, 2018
In hopes of not hijacking a different thread... And sidetracking all the existing conversation there.

What do you all think CTA means by this?

"l want a guy I can hire as the ‘head coach of the offense.’ That’s how I’m going to present it to him. That’s how I’ve presented it to the individuals I’ve spoken with." — CTA

Can he change the system? Does he have to teach the incumbent coaches how to teach the new system? Can he replace coaches if their coaching styles don't match his system?

Does the new OC have to conform to existing coaching styles, personalities and opinions? Or do the incumbents have to change their styles to fit the new OC?

What does being "Head Coach of the Offense" really entail? Is it just a fancy title without true power?

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
In hopes of not hijacking a different thread... And sidetracking all the existing conversation there.

"l want a guy I can hire as the ‘head coach of the offense.’ That’s how I’m going to present it to him. That’s how I’ve presented it to the individuals I’ve spoken with." — CTA

Can he change the system? Does he have to teach the incumbent coaches how to teach the new system? Can he replace coaches if their coaching styles don't match his system?

Does the new OC have to conform to existing coaching styles, personalities and opinions? Or do the incumbents have to change their styles to fit the new OC?

What does being "Head Coach of the Offense" really entail? Is it just a fancy title without true power?

I think he's acknowledging his lack of expertise on that side of the ball and wants a guy who'll come in and take ownership of it just like he did on D when he was just a Coordinator...

He wants a guy he doesn't have to ever give a passing thought to whether he has the Offense ready on Saturday without his doing much more than listening to the game plan and giving his quick stamp of approval...

At least that's my opinion/impression of what I think he wants...

Hopefully, he'll find him and soon...

He's correct however, that it's more important to get this hire done right than it is to just get it done fast...

since he said the same thing when he hired DeBord, I don't read all that much into it

I think he's acknowledging his lack of expertise on that side of the ball and wants a guy who'll come in and take ownership of it just like he did on D when he was just a Coordinator...

He wants a guy he doesn't have to ever give a passing thought to whether he has the Offense ready on Saturday without his doing much more than listening to the game plan and giving his quick stamp of approval...

At least that's my opinion/impression of what I think he wants...

Hopefully, he'll find him and soon...

He's correct however, that it's more important to get this hire done right than it is to just get it done fast...

That pretty much nailed it.

Allen knows he is not an offensive guy. He wants somebody he can bring in, not have to second guess the calls and feel comfortable with the plays in all situations. Allen still has authority on the final down and distance stuff (punt it, go for it, etc.).

He just does not want to hire a guy where he has to micromanage the season.

Allen would never publically say it and Debord was a guy he respected but....Allen did not like the game plan in at least a couple games this year, either from the outset or as the game evolved.

Pretty sure he’s wanting somebody to assume full control there and not walk away at the end of a game and say:

“Why didn’t we try this?”

Apparently not hiring/firing as Canada has reportedly turned down the job for that reason.

Im not sure what to feel about a HC that wants nothing to do with the offense... Yet won't let the OC make staffing decisions.

Doesn't make any sense.

Who is going to agree to take full responsibility for, and full ownership of, the Offense and let himself get hamstrung from day 1?

Its like hiring a manager at a company but telling him he can't make personnel decisions. It makes no sense.

Reactions: DANC
That pretty much nailed it.

Allen knows he is not an offensive guy. He wants somebody he can bring in, not have to second guess the calls and feel comfortable with the plays in all situations. Allen still has authority on the final down and distance stuff (punt it, go for it, etc.).

He just does not want to hire a guy where he has to micromanage the season.

Allen would never publically say it and Debord was a guy he respected but....Allen did not like the game plan in at least a couple games this year, either from the outset or as the game evolved.

Pretty sure he’s wanting somebody to assume full control there and not walk away at the end of a game and say:

“Why didn’t we try this?”
As long as the new OC works with the guys he's hired.

That's the dichotomy here - he wants someone to take ownership of the Offense, but he evidently won't give him enough ownership to bring in the guys he wants. So, in effect, it's not really ownership - but he can later blame the new guy if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: lUbud

I think potential candidates are wondering that very thing. It appears as though it doesn’t mean that you have any input on staffing, which probably isn’t a very comforting thought to any “head coach” of anything.

Most of the time when a coordinator is hired he usually will work with guys that are there as long as the head coach is ok with them as evidently CTA is. After a year he will re evaluate . Most of the time an offensive coordinator may have an offensive line guy he prefers. The only time you would clean house is if old coordinator was fired and unhappy with results.
As far as the terminology of Head Coach of the offense it means that he will have responsibilities of game planning, practice plannings all of aspects of the offense but obviously CTA will have ultimately say. Most people do not want to work for micromanagers. That is why you try to find the guy that most aligns with your philosophy.
If you think that s coach is just going to say the offense is go do it and not have any say that is not going to happen.
It is funny how a guy is said to no longer be a candidate is it is assumed that IU is at fault. That we were too cheap or because he can’t bring in his own people. Why can’t be either he was not offered the job or maybe the guy was offered and we needed an answer and he was waiting for another offer.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Allen needs to be HC of the whole team. Anything less will lead to failure. We have waited 2 years for him to assume that responsibility and he needs to grab the bull by both horns. Just grabbing one will get you killed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
People are making way too much of this comment that he wants the new offensive coordinator to be the head coach of the offense. Every coordinator that is hired everywhere expects to be in control of their side of the ball. Do you think Head coaches sit in every offensive meeting and every defensive meeting and every special teams meeting. The coordinators meet with the position coaches they formulate a game plan. The coordinators then meet with head coach and discuss their game plan for the week. The head coach will then give him blessings. The coordinators and head coach will get together and put together practice plan for the week.
The position coaches will pass the plan on to the players.

People are making way too much of this comment that he wants the new offensive coordinator to be the head coach of the offense. Every coordinator that is hired everywhere expects to be in control of their side of the ball. Do you think Head coaches sit in every offensive meeting and every defensive meeting and every special teams meeting. The coordinators meet with the position coaches they formulate a game plan. The coordinators then meet with head coach and discuss their game plan for the week. The head coach will then give him blessings. The coordinators and head coach will get together and put together practice plan for the week.
Some are simply attempting to make it fit their narrative.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
Well, what you describe requires a very good and close working relationship between the OC and the position coaches. If they are operating autonomously from the HC in formulating game plans and organizing players, the OC and assistants need to be on the same page. If there is no synergy in that coaching format, then it will likely fail. I don't blame any candidate to being uncomfortable with that, if they have zero say in the staff.

Last edited:
Well, what you describe requires a very good and close working relationship between the OC and the position coaches. If they are operating autonomously from the HC in formulating game plans and organizing players, the OC and assistants need to be on the same page. If there is no synergy in that coaching format, then it will likely fail. I don't blame any candidate to being uncomfortable with that, if they have zero say in the staff.

What if Canada said “I’ve got 4 guys at Maryland I just worked with and they are my ideal staff. I’ll come in and I’ll replace Heard, Hiller, Hart and Sheridan.”

What does that look like for recruits that have relationships with those guys?

That is why sometimes you see the position coaches are fired and the coordinator remains and sometimes the coordinator is fired and the staff remains and sometimes every everyone has to go.

What do you all think CTA means by [head coach of the offense]?
It means he's hiring an offensive coordinator. Whether he refers to the guy as "head coach of the offense," or "leader of the offense," or "head honcho of the offense, or "guy who's getting paid to make sure we score lots of points," I don't think it much matters.

The guy's going to be running the offense. Seems kind of pointless to get hung up on the semantics of a descriptive phrase Allen used when speaking to the media.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
It means he's hiring an offensive coordinator. Whether he refers to the guy as "head coach of the offense," or "leader of the offense," or "head honcho of the offense, or "guy who's getting paid to make sure we score lots of points," I don't think it much matters.

The guy's going to be running the offense. Seems kind of pointless to get hung up on the semantics of a descriptive phrase Allen used when speaking to the media.
Exactly people too hung up on this term.

I know. I know. It's slow here!

I only brought it up because of the report that Canada allegedly turned us down supposedly because of staffing concerns. And to be fair, no one else looking for an OC - and there are lots of them - are calling their position specifically as head coach of the Offense. Only Tom Allen has taken care to point that out to the media as if it was a selling point to prospective candidates.

That is why sometimes you see the position coaches are fired and the coordinator remains and sometimes the coordinator is fired and the staff remains and sometimes every everyone has to go.

Well, I wouldn't want to be the OC that got fired because the HC's position guys couldn't work with him. Not saying they won't! Not at all! Just saying that could be a detraction to taking the job.

Reactions: DANC

I only brought it up because of the report that Canada allegedly turned us down supposedly because of staffing concerns. And to be fair, no one else looking for an OC - and there are lots of them - are calling their position specifically as head coach of the Offense. Only Tom Allen has taken care to point that out to the media as if it was a selling point to prospective candidates.

Well, I wouldn't want to be the OC that got fired because the HC's position guys couldn't work with him. Not saying they won't! Not at all! Just saying that could be a detraction to taking the job.
That’s why the head coach will give guys a year to see how guys mesh. Then he will re- evaluate and make decisions from there.
I remember in the early 80’s Jimmy Johnson was hired and the defensive coordinator from the Schnellenberger staff was considered for head coaching position. He was retained as d coordinator, he proceeded to do things like drop his keys on the table to disrupt things. Needless to say he was replaced the next year.

Reactions: IUCX9
I wouldn't want to be the HC that got fired because the OC came in and fired all my position coaches and failed miserably.

The buck stops with Allen. His job is on shaky ground if offense doesn't turn around soon. I do not see anything wrong with a HC having final say on position coaches who have a direct effect on HC's success or failure.

HC of the offense means you get to do playcalling (which isn't always the case as hc often takes over playcalling) and manage the offensive staff. Does not have to mean you get to fire anyone you want.

Reactions: JohnsyRick

Understood. And I'm not for a second downplaying the significance of this hire. This is undoubtedly the most critical decision of Tom Allen's coaching career and probably the difference between a successful or forgettable HC tenure at IU.

I wouldn't want to be the HC that got fired because the OC came in and fired all my position coaches and failed miserably.

The buck stops with Allen. His job is on shaky ground if offense doesn't turn around soon. I do not see anything wrong with a HC having final say on position coaches who have a direct effect on HC's success or failure.

HC of the offense means you get to do playcalling (which isn't always the case as hc often takes over playcalling) and manage the offensive staff. Does not have to mean you get to fire anyone you want.

We're all just taking the report at face value........if it IS correct, I agree with you 100%. And if Canada demanded that, it would confirm all the doubts about his viability.

Please define "full".

Does it include hiring/firing/recruiting offer approval/Player personnel changes?
Fair question. Yeah, I would say full control over game-planning and play-calling. Maybe set depth chart and substitution patterns. Probably not much beyond that. For sure nothing involving the coaching staff. So partial full control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT