ADVERTISEMENT

What do you consider

Columbus-Boiler

Sophomore
Jun 6, 2001
a successful basketball season next year? What type of expectations, if any, will make you feel good about the hire and feel like you are back on track? No expectations (it's year one, let the guy sort things out and get the program going)? Top half of B1G? NCAA Bid? What will cause you to go "oh crap" or what will cause you to let the hem out of your candy stripe pants and get ready to go to all the games?

a successful basketball season next year? What type of expectations, if any, will make you feel good about the hire and feel like you are back on track? No expectations (it's year one, let the guy sort things out and get the program going)? Top half of B1G? NCAA Bid? What will cause you to go "oh crap" or what will cause you to let the hem out of your candy stripe pants and get ready to go to all the games?
We have enough back and with additions (Stewart, the Pitt kid, Duncomb and Brunk... that's a lot of new pieces from last year), that I think after last year, making the NCAA is the minimum to me for "success" and on track. Secondly, it's well past the time that we should beat PU. I think making the tourney is enough to call it progress, but I'll be watching those PU games closely and personally, if CMW is who I think he is, he's going to get the team fired up to play PU and reinstitute the importance of this rivalry and it's important that we begin beating PU routinely. So minimum threshold to me is NCAA, but at least splitting with PU is important. Top 4 in the conference, advancing to the quarterfinals of the B10 tourney, or a Sweet 16 are all successes that might indicate we got "our guy".

Last edited:
If Coach wins his first game! Archie didn’t do that and it was down hill from there!
Yeah...I know, at the time, we all tried to dismiss the ISU- CAM era game 1 fiasco as 'guys learning new system crap..blah blah ' and other excuses...but can we agree to look back upon that now as our first "WTF!?!?" moment with CAM? Harbinger of things to come.

Last edited:
I'm going to hold off answering this question until the dust has settled in the transfer market. We still have the chance to pick up (or swing and miss) on 1-2 impact players, who will move the needle of expectation if they land at IU.

I won’t hold off. We damn sure better be top 5 in the league and done with the damn bubble talk

6 seed or better. Top 25 team. TJD should be a player of the year candidate. Enough with the horseshit, I expect to start a streak of being ranked for 3+ years starting about mid season.

A team that's engaged, plays hard at both ends of the floor, has some type of offensive and defensive identity, improves and plays to their potential and has some leadership. We get that, I think the win/loss record will be pretty good. Oh, and can we just for once beat Purdue? I've forgotten what that feels like.

I won’t hold off. We damn sure better be top 5 in the league and done with the damn bubble talk

6 seed or better. Top 25 team. TJD should be a player of the year candidate. Enough with the horseshit, I expect to start a streak of being ranked for 3+ years starting about mid season.
I hope you're right...it would be great to actually look forward to a bball season. My winters have been so empty the past several years, we're seriously thinking of getting out of this God forsaken state of IL and land in SW Florida for good. For years IU ball was about the only thing getting me thru from Thanksgiving to spring break.

A team that's engaged, plays hard at both ends of the floor, has some type of offensive and defensive identity, improves and plays to their potential and has some leadership. We get that, I think the win/loss record will be pretty good. Oh, and can we just for once beat Purdue? I've forgotten what that feels like.
I'd second all of this! And add don't play like robots and eliminate the 6+ minute scoring droughts per game.

I think he will instill in them pride to wear the cream and crimson. He will have these guys playing hard-no gimmicks. I think everyone will see a team that takes good shots,shoot better at free throws and block out. I believe this team can win 22-24 games with new coaching and most of the team back. They will not miss Al or Aarman because Leal,Lander ,Galloway,Stewart,Johnson will work over the summer to shoot better-technique and form.

Wow. I am not quite there yet but I do think it is attainable if some things go the right way.

My biggest concern is TJD and Race are the only real proven commodities on this team. Everyone wants to blame everything on Coach Miller but the hard truth is every other player underperformed.

If Johnson proves to be the big pg upgrade that everyone hopes he is. If Parker can fill in for or exceed Franklin. If Hunter/Rob (or whoever starts at our other perimeter spot) shoots as well as Durham but at a higher volume and brings more playmaking ability. If Lander, Leal, Geronimo, Galloway all improve significantly (especially shooting the ball). And if Brunk is healthy and Duncomb is ready to play some. If most of those things happen we should be as you expect and be safely in the tournament.

Imo if Coach turns these guys around to that extent he should be coach of the year until he retires.

Wow. I am not quite there yet but I do think it is attainable if some things go the right way.

My biggest concern is TJD and Race are the only real proven commodities on this team. Everyone wants to blame everything on Coach Miller but the hard truth is every other player underperformed.

If Johnson proves to be the big pg upgrade that everyone hopes he is. If Parker can fill in for or exceed Franklin. If Hunter/Rob (or whoever starts at our other perimeter spot) shoots as well as Durham but at a higher volume and brings more playmaking ability. If Lander, Leal, Geronimo, Galloway all improve significantly (especially shooting the ball). And if Brunk is healthy and Duncomb is ready to play some. If most of those things happen we should be as you expect and be safely in the tournament.

Imo if Coach turns these guys around to that extent he should be coach of the year until he retires.
I counted six "IF"s ....I think we need to temper our expectations and don't expect to strike gold during yr one...at least, not yet. Too many IFs.

Reactions: Beorik and Lucy01
NCAA Tournament bid and beat Purdue. IU most likely would've made the NCAA tournament 2 years ago, and probablly would've been in again with 2-3 more wins of the last six. It shouldn't be too hard of a stretch next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
I really agree with previous posts. Perhaps as a 1,2,3 it could be
1. Play in a more entertaining fashion. Play fast and with constant effort.
2. More wins, especially defend home court. I am not as big on just beating PU in year 1. That will come.
3. More recruits, both the guys who will stay 4 yrs and the guys who will play 1or 2 yrs and go pro.

I counted six "IF"s ....I think we need to temper our expectations and don't expect to strike gold during yr one...at least, not yet. Too many IFs.
Yeah I agree. That was the point I was trying to make. I think the person I responded to has high expectations which are attainable if a LOT of things go right. I will be happy if he takes this 12 win team to the tournament no matter the seed. This team has a lot of flawed players who underachieved.

My only expectations in the true sense of the word are as follows:

1. Consistent effort from the players on the floor. I want to see guys making the hustle plays. I want to see positive body language that shows the players care about winning.

2. A coaching staff that will build a team around the strengths of its players and put them in the best position to win on a game-by-game basis. Archie couldn't coach his way out out of a wet paper bag, so it would be nice to see a well-coached team.

That's it for me.

I agree and believe we had a lot of underachieving going on.

Reactions: Lucy01
You remember what we saw the last four years? For the most part, the opposite of that.

tourney

I would think we should at least be a bubble team for the tourney and hopefully see something that better resembles an offense.

I agree but don’t think this is an outrageous expectation. We were a Bubble Team with about two weeks of the season (actually in the field most likely) until the wheels came off. Our players are mostly back and have some key additions. Also, after Michigan and Purdue, the conference looks tamer. Finally, it’s a belief - a blind one perhaps - that the players will take to the new offense that I hope plays better to their abilities. So sure - I have hope. Had Archie returned, I think our core players would have bolted, the year would have been lost, and a year from today we’d be looking forward to a year like Crean’s first year.

Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
Expectations for this year…

1.Splitting the season matchups with Purdue

2.Winning one game or possibly two games in the Big Ten tournament

3.Not just making the NCAA tournament, but winning the first game

With all the excitement and energy from the new coaches, there’s no reason why this can’t happen. We still have two open scholarships to use.

What do you consider a successful season for PU to be next year? Matt's 17th year, no FF's and nothing close to consistently good results in the NCAA's thus far. PU is coming off another disappointing showing in the NCAA's, losing to the Mean Green in the Round of 64. Is it a FF or bust next year? Have PU fans given up on the NCAA's? Should Matt lose his job if he fails in the NCAA's again next year? Have PU fans accepted mediocrity?

To be good enough that PU trolls quit posting here.

I don't know what my ceiling is for expectations, and I may be expecting alot from a new coach and with the team coming off a horrible season, but my floor hasn't changed since 2000:

20 wins, .500 in the B1G, split with Purdue and tourney invite.

I'm going to hold off answering this question until the dust has settled in the transfer market. We still have the chance to pick up (or swing and miss) on 1-2 impact players, who will move the needle of expectation if they land at IU.
I agree with this. I still believe Mike W. has at least 1 very solid( may I say"wow") transfer yet to come in. And it could be a highly ranked wing player. We"ll see.

oh...and could we possibly start representing the program a little better in the B1G tourney? I know it's not a regular season B1G championship, or as important as a deep run in the NCAA tourney...and I know RMK absolutely despised the entire concept of a conf tourney....but our program's track record in the B1G tourney- since it's inception- is an absolute embarrassment. Our best-ever tourney showing ended with Luke Recker's shot. Ouch.

Next season? That seems overly optimistic, based upon the track record of most new coaches.

I need to know what the roster will finally look like. The good news is IU got rid of our Hazell. Miller was to IU basketball what Hazell was to Purdue football. Which is why IU has beaten PU 5 out 7 times in football and PU has beaten IU in basketball the last 8 or 9 I've lost count. Both coaches did damaged to their programs.

What do you consider a successful season for PU to be next year? Matt's 17th year, no FF's and nothing close to consistently good results in the NCAA's thus far. PU is coming off another disappointing showing in the NCAA's, losing to the Mean Green in the Round of 64. Is it a FF or bust next year? Have PU fans given up on the NCAA's? Should Matt lose his job if he fails in the NCAA's again next year? Have PU fans accepted mediocrity?
Go back and look at the preseason predictions. Purdue was picked to finish in the bottom third of the Big Ten. It was an overachieving year! it’s spring, time to exit the cocoon.

If Coach wins his first game! Archie didn’t do that and it was down hill from there!
My brother and I were at that game (our annual sojourn to see one game live) and sat there in disbelief, watching ISU set an Assembly Hall record for made threes. They couldn't miss from anywhere on the court. Little did we know it was a harbinger of things to come. I don't think CAM ever inspired these kids at all during his four years as head coach.

I think the talent is here, it wasn't directed very well. With the addition of Stewart and Johnson, we should have the scoring we have been missing from our guard play. Phinesee may have a tough time getting on the floor his senior year. I think our four freshmen will have their abilities maximized to the benefit of the team, and look forward to seeing Duncomb.

My expectations are to enjoy IU basketball once again, and see an inspired effort and a winning team every game. The final outcome depends on scheduling, injuries, etc., but I remain optimistic that Woodson is the answer.

My only ask is for a team that can MAKE IT'S FREE THROWS!

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01
I can’t believe all of these tip toe responses.

For one, we have to make the tournament. Nothing else matters without this. We don’t need to just see “improvement”. That BS was used by the Archie fan club for 4 years. We need results.

A successful season is top 4 in conference and a top 5 seed in the tournament. As well as the most important piece which is a successful recruiting class of several top 60-70 players. I don’t give a rip about Purdue or any vague metrics. This staff is the real deal IMO and we will see results right away.

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT