ADVERTISEMENT

What do you consider

oh...and could we possibly start representing the program a little better in the B1G tourney? I know it's not a regular season B1G championship, or as important as a deep run in the NCAA tourney...and I know RMK absolutely despised the entire concept of a conf tourney....but our program's track record in the B1G tourney- since it's inception- is an absolute embarrassment. Our best-ever tourney showing ended with Luke Recker's shot. Ouch.

You’re confusing games. Recker knocked us out the year after we lost to IA in the championship game.

See Chris Holtmann’s first year at OSU.
We don’t have CH’s first year roster. I’d love to see the great results you’re predicting, but I never get caught up in the hype machine that the rank and file do.

I can’t believe all of these tip toe responses.

For one, we have to make the tournament. Nothing else matters without this. We don’t need to just see “improvement”. That BS was used by the Archie fan club for 4 years. We need results.

A successful season is top 4 in conference and a top 5 seed in the tournament. As well as the most important piece which is a successful recruiting class of several top 60-70 players. I don’t give a rip about Purdue or any vague metrics. This staff is the real deal IMO and we will see results right away.
you can't believe them? Where the hell have you been the past 20 some yrs?

I'll see your Holtmann and raise you one Archie Miller. After the past 2+ decades and the past 4 hires, and the transfer market chaos thrown in for good reason, I see nothing unreasonable with the wait-n-see approach. This staff might have some long toothed resumes but they aren't going to be the ones on the floor with their 30-some percent career three point shooting and their 60-some percent free throw shooting.

I don't expect CMW to take 4 yrs to get his feet underneath him, but to expect a 12-15 team who just lost two starting guards to suddenly be a top 15 team next year is a bit of a stretch here in mid April.

What do you consider a successful season for PU to be next year? Matt's 17th year, no FF's and nothing close to consistently good results in the NCAA's thus far. PU is coming off another disappointing showing in the NCAA's, losing to the Mean Green in the Round of 64. Is it a FF or bust next year? Have PU fans given up on the NCAA's? Should Matt lose his job if he fails in the NCAA's again next year? Have PU fans accepted mediocrity?

Lol, accepted it, no? My expectations for PU basketball are to be in the mix competing for the conference title, getting in the tourney, in other words:
What do you consider a successful season for PU to be next year? Matt's 17th year, no FF's and nothing close to consistently good results in the NCAA's thus far. PU is coming off another disappointing showing in the NCAA's, losing to the Mean Green in the Round of 64. Is it a FF or bust next year? Have PU fans given up on the NCAA's? Should Matt lose his job if he fails in the NCAA's again next year? Have PU fans accepted mediocrity?

I guess my expectation is twofold: 1) Run a clean program 2) Provide a an enjoyable basketball fan experience. What makes it enjoyable? Being in the top 1/3 of the B1G a good amount of the time, winning the conference fairly regularly. Making the tournament most years. That makes basketball season enjoyable. Now you can say you have "higher standards" but basically that means you have been unhappy for 35 years and only happy once since 1977. That's a lifetime. I think Painter will get over the hump, and I'm just not sure anybody out there could do better. To answer you question for next year: Top 3 in B1G (and in it until the end). Sweet 16 minimum. We haven't done as well in the tournament as I would like, but at the end of the day, the program has been good and I've enjoyed watching and rooting for the team.

As for IU, I would think making the tournament would be the minimum expectation for next year. With TJD coming back, the PG transfer and the kids who stayed that shouldn't be too high of a bar for a decent coach to reach, no?

I need to know what the roster will finally look like. The good news is IU got rid of our Hazell. Miller was to IU basketball what Hazell was to Purdue football. Which is why IU has beaten PU 5 out 7 times in football and PU has beaten IU in basketball the last 8 or 9 I've lost count. Both coaches did damaged to their programs.

Both disasters, couldn't agree more.

a successful basketball season next year? What type of expectations, if any, will make you feel good about the hire and feel like you are back on track? No expectations (it's year one, let the guy sort things out and get the program going)? Top half of B1G? NCAA Bid? What will cause you to go "oh crap" or what will cause you to let the hem out of your candy stripe pants and get ready to go to all the games?
No metrics here beyond just winning. Attendance levels and fan interests growing as well. It sucks when no one around likes to even discuss IU basketball because they are that boring.

Lol, accepted it, no? My expectations for PU basketball are to be in the mix competing for the conference title, getting in the tourney, in other words:

I guess my expectation is twofold: 1) Run a clean program 2) Provide a an enjoyable basketball fan experience. What makes it enjoyable? Being in the top 1/3 of the B1G a good amount of the time, winning the conference fairly regularly. Making the tournament most years. That makes basketball season enjoyable. Now you can say you have "higher standards" but basically that means you have been unhappy for 35 years and only happy once since 1977. That's a lifetime. I think Painter will get over the hump, and I'm just not sure anybody out there could do better. To answer you question for next year: Top 3 in B1G (and in it until the end). Sweet 16 minimum. We haven't done as well in the tournament as I would like, but at the end of the day, the program has been good and I've enjoyed watching and rooting for the team.

As for IU, I would think making the tournament would be the minimum expectation for next year. With TJD coming back, the PG transfer and the kids who stayed that shouldn't be too high of a bar for a decent coach to reach, no?
If you had fun, you won! You aren't sure somebody could do any better in 17 years? I could think of many, many coaches that have done a hell of a lot more in 17 years: how much time do you have? PU has an absolute lack of standards and, when you have no standards, you have no results. That is just depressing.

Painter's gonna get over that hump, just give him 17 more years, lol! You know what you have with Painter, and you knew it over a decade ago. Painter is 1 for 17 in the NCAA's, and he didn't even make a FF!

It's hard to remember the last time IU finished the season on an upswing. If the team is playing well at the end of the season, I'll be happy. If they make it to the tourney playing well, and comes across a team that is shooting lights out, so be it. Even going back to the 2002 team, they lost three of the last five games before the NCAA tourney. I want to see a team that finishes the season at their peak.

Reactions: UncleMark
It's hard to remember the last time IU finished the season on an upswing. If the team is playing well at the end of the season, I'll be happy. If they make it to the tourney playing well, and comes across a team that is shooting lights out, so be it. Even going back to the 2002 team, they lost three of the last five games before the NCAA tourney. I want to see a team that finishes the season at their peak.
Remember Neil Young's intro line on the Four Way Street album? "This starts out slow, and then fizzles out altogether." That's how IU basketball has been lately.

If you had fun, you won! You aren't sure somebody could do any better in 17 years? I could think of many, many coaches that have done a hell of a lot more in 17 years: how much time do you have? PU has an absolute lack of standards and, when you have no standards, you have no results. That is just depressing.

Painter's gonna get over that hump, just give him 17 more years, lol! You know what you have with Painter, and you knew it over a decade ago. Painter is 1 for 17 in the NCAA's, and he didn't even make a FF!

To each his own Jimbo, the original post was just curiosity about where die hard fans set their expectations for success next year.

If we don’t make the tourney, that’d be a red flag for me. Not enough to start getting flustered, but enough to warrant a little uncertainty imo. If I had to bet, we’ll finish 5-8 in the b1g and get a 6-10 seed in the tourney with sweet 16 being the likely ceiling, which I’ll take for year 1. Top 5 in the b1g and a 5 seed or better in the tourney and I’ll be impressed.

a successful basketball season next year? What type of expectations, if any, will make you feel good about the hire and feel like you are back on track? No expectations (it's year one, let the guy sort things out and get the program going)? Top half of B1G? NCAA Bid? What will cause you to go "oh crap" or what will cause you to let the hem out of your candy stripe pants and get ready to go to all the games?
Often tough to change the culture of a program. But I think we have the leaders and players who can make that happen. These kids want to win and I think they will be open to the change that is about to happen. It is realistic to expect a top half finish in B1G and tourney appearance. Tough to expect much more, and there are still some missing pieces. If we can get the right pieces and catch some fire, we could break into top 4 or 5 B1G and maybe even win a game or two in the tourney. Really, I just want to see a tough team that plays good D and is more explosive on offense.

We don’t have CH’s first year roster. I’d love to see the great results you’re predicting, but I never get caught up in the hype machine that the rank and file do.

you can't believe them? Where the hell have you been the past 20 some yrs?

I'll see your Holtmann and raise you one Archie Miller. After the past 2+ decades and the past 4 hires, and the transfer market chaos thrown in for good reason, I see nothing unreasonable with the wait-n-see approach. This staff might have some long toothed resumes but they aren't going to be the ones on the floor with their 30-some percent career three point shooting and their 60-some percent free throw shooting.

I don't expect CMW to take 4 yrs to get his feet underneath him, but to expect a 12-15 team who just lost two starting guards to suddenly be a top 15 team next year is a bit of a stretch here in mid April.
The OP is about what will make a successful season, not what you think will happen. I agree there’s no need for chest pounding guarantees like what happened with Archie and Crean. Thankfully I don’t see that level of delusion these days like the past.

Success is in results from now on. Not some vague moving goalposts. This roster is every bit as talented as what Holtmann inherited.

Often tough to change the culture of a program. But I think we have the leaders and players who can make that happen. These kids want to win and I think they will be open to the change that is about to happen. It is realistic to expect a top half finish in B1G and tourney appearance. Tough to expect much more, and there are still some missing pieces. If we can get the right pieces and catch some fire, we could break into top 4 or 5 B1G and maybe even win a game or two in the tourney. Really, I just want to see a tough team that plays good D and is more explosive on offense.
Why is your view “realistic”?

The OP is about what will make a successful season, not what you think will happen. I agree there’s no need for chest pounding guarantees like what happened with Archie and Crean. Thankfully I don’t see that level of delusion these days like the past.

Success is in results from now on. Not some vague moving goalposts. This roster is every bit as talented as what Holtmann inherited.
Zero evidence the roster is as talented as CH’s first OSU roster.

First question...NCAA tourney.

Second question... NCAA tourney, and some “wins” on the recruiting trail.

Oh crap... miss NCAA badly, combined with roster turmoil and lack of recruiting success.

Candy stripes to games... Top 5 in conf. Make the weekend in BTT. Sweet 16.

Further answer. I’m already very excited about the HC hire, along with the other hires they’ve made. I’m guessing AH will be packed (if allowed), for the first home game. And there will be electricity in the air again. Which will be awesome.

Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
Win somewhere around 66 percent of your games in year one. Knight was just above that at .680, Sampson was just below it at .640.

We have one of the few players in the country who averaged 19 and 9. We have pieces coming back, better coach, a "spring renewal" sorta thing going...a collective reboot by formers, etc. etc. etc.

We should make the tourney. Beating PU would be nice...they look pretty good for next year though.

I hope to not recognize this team next year. Not from an individual standpoint...just play, tempo, etc.

Reactions: kkott
I really agree with previous posts. Perhaps as a 1,2,3 it could be
1. Play in a more entertaining fashion. Play fast and with constant effort.
2. More wins, especially defend home court. I am not as big on just beating PU in year 1. That will come.
3. More recruits, both the guys who will stay 4 yrs and the guys who will play 1or 2 yrs and go pro.
"Play in a more entertaining fashion"? Does this really matter to people? I'll tell you what entertains me: winning. I could get behind a coach playing wide open and scoring 100 ppg, or locking up the other team and winning games in the 40s. Just give me a consistent winner and I believe fans, all fans, will get behind that program and Coach.

I will admit, I do expect much better than a 12-15 season. Just not ready to make any predictions yet. Still 1-2 seats that can be filled with higher level transfers if CMW is successful in this strange and unprecedented transfer market. Also difficult to judge how our players will react the first season to a 4/1 offense when they've been stuck running CAM's plodding crap offense for the past 4 years. We need wings and guards who can knock down 21 footers on a regular basis, and drive & make free throws when available. I've seen little ability or consistency in those two areas over the past couple years, and not willing to believe than Hunter, RobP or anyone else will suddenly become much better shooters simply because there are new faces wearing nice clothes on the bench.

"Play in a more entertaining fashion"? Does this really matter to people? I'll tell you what entertains me: winning. I could get behind a coach playing wide open and scoring 100 ppg, or locking up the other team and winning games in the 40s. Just give me a consistent winner and I believe fans, all fans, will get behind that program and Coach.
I do not want to watch boring. It is the reason it is harder to watch baseball than football.

I will admit, I do expect much better than a 12-15 season. Just not ready to make any predictions yet. Still 1-2 seats that can be filled with higher level transfers if CMW is successful in this strange and unprecedented transfer market. Also difficult to judge how our players will react the first season to a 4/1 offense when they've been stuck running CAM's plodding crap offense for the past 4 years. We need wings and guards who can knock down 21 footers on a regular basis, and drive & make free throws when available. I've seen little ability or consistency in those two areas over the past couple years, and not willing to believe than Hunter, RobP or anyone else will suddenly become much better shooters simply because there are new faces wearing nice clothes on the bench.
I get this and agree. I wasn’t making a prediction as I think it’s too early to even have an educated guess.

My post is about what will make a successful season, not necessarily what I predict will happen. It won’t be a successful season without a tournament appearance and a good recruiting class at the bare minimum.

Zero evidence the roster is as talented as CH’s first OSU roster.
The year before Holtmann arrived OSU finished 10th in the Big Ten and missed the entire postseason. The year before that they were in the NIT. This was with Matta who is a great coach. OSU wasn’t some sort of gold mine.

Woodson is inheriting possibly the best player in the Big Ten and a lot of experience. Just landed Johnson which is huge. There’s a ton of comparisons. Expectations should be high from day one.

The year before Holtmann arrived OSU finished 10th in the Big Ten and missed the entire postseason. The year before that they were in the NIT. This was with Matta who is a great coach. OSU wasn’t some sort of gold mine.

Woodson is inheriting possibly the best player in the Big Ten and a lot of experience. Just landed Johnson which is huge. There’s a ton of comparisons. Expectations should be high from day one.
He’s inheriting a team that has played below .500 in the BiG for the last 4 seasons. Expecting some kind of huge and immediate 180 is Hype 101.

I would think we should at least be a bubble team for the tourney and hopefully see something that better resembles an offense.
Or something that just better resembles basketball, the las 4 years kind of make Crean and MD look like john Wooden

Let's start by the fans getting behind this team and showing up to games! We need to return to having Assembly Hall being a big home court advantage.
Woody will get the team to play hard on both ends of the court. We will be a more physical team on the defensive end of the court and have a much more entertaining offense. With fan support this team can make the dance and maybe even make some noise.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2

It will help that I think the B1G will be significantly "down" next year, and frankly down from what turned out to be an overrated group of teams this year.

Sweet 16. Let's Go!

It will help that I think the B1G will be significantly "down" next year, and frankly down from what turned out to be an overrated group of teams this year.
Every year people talk about the league being up or down or whatever. And nobody really knows. Fact of the matter is, it is impossible to say but at least there will be more games between conferences to better judge the strength of the conferences. Time will tell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT