ADVERTISEMENT

What do you call your Cousin's kids?

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My cousin's daughter coming to live with us this summer and we are doing some preliminary planning. I will be introducing her to friends and she will likely meet my kid's friends.

What is she to me? Is she my second cousin or is that what she is to my kids? A cousin on the other side of my family calls everyone cousin regardless of generation. I've always thought that was confusing. It is confusing enough I have several first cousins younger than my own kids. and cases where uncles are the same age as their nieces and nephews.

Last edited:
My cousin's daughter coming to live with us this summer and we are doing some preliminary planning. I will be introducing her to friends and she will likely meet my kid's friends.

What is she to me? Is she my second cousin or is that what she is to my kids? A cousin on the other side of my family calls everyone cousin regardless of generation. I've always thought that was confusing. It is confusing enough I have several first cousins younger than my own kids. and cases where uncles are the same age as their nieces and nephews.

"This is our cousin"

I will need to see something in a two-piece to answer this question.

die-wilden-weiber-von-tennessee-kissing-cousins-usa-1964-gene-nelson-GGHM5J.jpg

Two pieces?

She would be a second cousin to you. Most people drop the second and just call people cousin. But I see nothing wrong with saying, "this is my second cousin so and so."

She would be a second cousin to you. Most people drop the second and just call people cousin. But I see nothing wrong with saying, "this is my second cousin so and so."
Wrong. If it's OP's first cousin's kid, then the kid would be OP's first cousin once-removed.

We call them Nick and Austin.

I got this from the dictionary.
second cousin
phrase of cousin
plural noun: second cousins
  1. a child of one's parent's first cousin.
According to the Oxford Dictionary, the definitive dictionary of the English language, your dictionary is wrong:

Definition of first cousin once removed in English:
  1. A child of one's first cousin.
  2. One's parent's first cousin.
Definition of second cousin in English:
  1. A child of one's parent's first cousin.

Reactions: IU40IU
You would call them first cousins once removed and your kids would call them second cousins

But if the family is made of Boilermaker fans, just call them "Hey Sh!thead" and "Hey you dumbf*ck"

Reactions: iucutter87
So, she is my first cousin once removed and my kids' second cousin. I remember older relatives used that term when we used to have family reunions. I never knew what they meant. I will just call her cousin and drop the once removed part.

I won't be posting any pictures, but mom and daughter are very pretty and could pass for sisters.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the definitive dictionary of the English language, your dictionary is wrong:

No, that’s exactly what his said. He just read it wrong.

His dictionary isn't wrong. He just can't read.

ADVERTISEMENT