ADVERTISEMENT

What do these 21 cowards have in common?

I'm just over the constant whining about the "Liberal Media!". I won't argue that they're not, I'm just tired of the sniveling.
@BradStevens posted a great interview with Jonathan Rauch that, among other things, I thought really blew away the stupidity of the media bias debate. When it comes to media bias specifically, he argued that, while both sides have their problems (and in the MSM, yes, that absolutely included willingness to forego journalistic standards of objectivity in order to push Trump-critical narratives), the problems are not identical. The blatant pushing of fact-averse propaganda is a decidedly right-wing endeavor. If you find a story on your newsfeed that was invented out of whole cloth and then shared by thousands of outraged people, there is like a 99% chance that story favors the right wing.

Sadly, no one wanted to talk about that excellent post. I suspect because over the course of his interview, Rauch said things that would make people on both sides very uncomfortable (but, again, for different reasons, because "both suck" is not the same as "both are carbon copies of each other"). I'd really like to hear some conservatives who attack the MSM try to engage his points about the prevalence of true "fake news" on the right, as much as I'd like to hear some liberals around these parts respond to his very thoughtful criticisms of "cancel culture."

I don't think we're capable of that around here at the moment, which is probably why that thread quietly passed on to page 2 without any fanfare.

@BradStevens posted a great interview with Jonathan Rauch that, among other things, I thought really blew away the stupidity of the media bias debate. When it comes to media bias specifically, he argued that, while both sides have their problems (and in the MSM, yes, that absolutely included willingness to forego journalistic standards of objectivity in order to push Trump-critical narratives), the problems are not identical. The blatant pushing of fact-averse propaganda is a decidedly right-wing endeavor. If you find a story on your newsfeed that was invented out of whole cloth and then shared by thousands of outraged people, there is like a 99% chance that story favors the right wing.

Sadly, no one wanted to talk about that excellent post. I suspect because over the course of his interview, Rauch said things that would make people on both sides very uncomfortable (but, again, for different reasons, because "both suck" is not the same as "both are carbon copies of each other"). I'd really like to hear some conservatives who attack the MSM try to engage his points about the prevalence of true "fake news" on the right, as much as I'd like to hear some liberals around these parts respond to his very thoughtful criticisms of "cancel culture."

I don't think we're capable of that around here at the moment, which is probably why that thread quietly passed on to page 2 without any fanfare.
No offense to bradstevens who is an excellent poster but it was probably too long. Many of us are working at our computer with ten things open and can only read quick posts.

I will counter that the media bias on the left is more subtle in pushing an agenda. 60 mins unfounded attack on DeSantis is an ex. But here’s a better ex. I wanted to watch their piece on ufos. Prior to it Anderson cooper did a piece on software facial recognition that cops are using that incorrectly id certain suspects. It was nothing more than a new angle to attack cops thereby furthering the left’s anti cop defund the police blah blah blah agenda. 37 cops have been murdered already this year. He could have done a story on that - but that doesn’t further the George Floyd blm defund the police narrative. So no chance.

My point is that story selection alone can evidence bias. The reporting of same may be factually accurate but the topic alone is partisan/biased. Now couple this with being a national mainstream basic tv show with the late night cable talk shows’ political pieces from jimmy kimmel and others, and cnn, msn, and imo the totality of the left-leaning news and faux political news dwarf that of fox and it’s outlandish reporting.

I’d love to know the political breakdown of newsrooms. I read a nyt opinion piece where one of the journalists thought the ratio was as many as 20-1 in favor of Dems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
I know you Democrats desperately want to keep January 6 on the front burner. I think that will shrink to insignificance in the face of the southern border mess, energy production, cost of living, deteriorating cities, woke backlash, and labor market chaos brought on by ill-advised legislation. The icing on the cake will be the total intellectual void in POTUS and VPOTUS.
Lol

No offense to bradstevens who is an excellent poster but it was probably too long. Many of us are working at our computer with ten things open and can only read quick posts.

I will counter that the media bias on the left is more subtle in pushing an agenda. 60 mins unfounded attack on DeSantis is an ex. But here’s a better ex. I wanted to watch their piece on ufos. Prior to it Anderson cooper did a piece on software facial recognition that cops are using that incorrectly id certain suspects. It was nothing more than a new angle to attack cops thereby furthering the left’s anti cop defund the police blah blah blah agenda. 37 cops have been murdered already this year. He could have done a story on that - but that doesn’t further the George Floyd blm defund the police narrative. So no chance.

My point is that story selection alone can evidence bias. The reporting of same may be factually accurate but the topic alone is partisan/biased. Now couple this with being a national mainstream basic tv show with the late night cable talk shows’ political pieces from jimmy kimmel and others, and cnn, msn, and imo the totality of the left-leaning news and faux political news dwarf that of fox and it’s outlandish reporting.

I’d love to know the political breakdown of newsrooms. I read a nyt opinion piece where one of the journalists thought the ratio was as many as 20-1 in favor of Dems.

While i wish the media would run all stories of merit, i would much prefer a biased selection of true stories than just making stuff up to get people mad at the other party.

While i wish the media would run all stories of merit, i would much prefer a biased selection of true stories than just making stuff up to get people mad at the other party.
Yeah Chris Cuomo never does that🙄

Agree on all fronts and I'm going to go back and watch the interview and hopefully provide a cogent thought.

But, true to the nature of being a drive by poster, relative to the above statement.....how many Republicans do you know with a Journalism or other liberal arts/social sciences degree? I've never been surprised by the MSM's left lean when you consider who the actual people are and their life experience.

Now do executives at most companies....right leaning. They too are simply a product of their life experience. Maybe not 20-1 Republican but probably close.

Agree on all fronts and I'm going to go back and watch the interview and hopefully provide a cogent thought.

But, true to the nature of being a drive by poster, relative to the above statement.....how many Republicans do you know with a Journalism or other liberal arts/social sciences degree? I've never been surprised by the MSM's left lean when you consider who the actual people are and their life experience.

Now do executives at most companies....right leaning. They too are simply a product of their life experience. Maybe not 20-1 Republican but probably close.
I think you got it. I think that’s the explanation

Bingo!
A couple said they didn’t like the wording of “insurrection” and “temple of democracy”.
Translation: They are cowards who are afraid of DJT.
There was no insurrection. Did you ever notice that not one painting was spray painted for instance? They could have torn that place up but they didn't. Those who committed any kind of violence have been dealt with and they were on the leftist side of things. You do know that DJT is not President now? The left cheated and got him out of office. How do I know that? It's because you can't make me believe that Biden was more popular than Obama. He got more votes than Obama. How do you explain that especially when Biden rarely campaigned after leaving his basement. DJT got more votes than he did in 16 and still lost? I don't believe it was a legitimate election.

There was no insurrection. Did you ever notice that not one painting was spray painted for instance? They could have torn that place up but they didn't. Those who committed any kind of violence have been dealt with and they were on the leftist side of things. You do know that DJT is not President now? The left cheated and got him out of office. How do I know that? It's because you can't make me believe that Biden was more popular than Obama. He got more votes than Obama. How do you explain that especially when Biden rarely campaigned after leaving his basement. DJT got more votes than he did in 16 and still lost? I don't believe it was a legitimate election.
wrong comparison vmp. it's not that biden was more popular than obama it's that voters were galvanized over their disdain for trump. people came out to vote against trump not for biden. no different than hilary in 16.

you arent helping the cause by continuing to claim the election was stolen. it fuels trump when we need him to run out of gas. we've got new crazies like desantis we can get behind. do that for the good of us all

I'm only putting this in here b/c the thread was ostensibly about republican congresspeople. But seems like Florida's 13th congressional district race is heating up with Crist running for governor.

This is nuts. Warning - the language in the recorded call is INSANE. Have fun in prison.

• Wow
Reactions: TommyCracker
I'm only putting this in here b/c the thread was ostensibly about republican congresspeople. But seems like Florida's 13th congressional district race is heating up with Crist running for governor.

This is nuts. Warning - the language in the recorded call is INSANE. Have fun in prison.

ha. the trial lawyers bar in fla will get behind crist big time for gov. after he was gov last time he went to work for that massive personal injury mill morgan & morgan. he was a solid rainmaker steering a shit ton of gulf oil spill cases to them while he was there

He got more votes in 20 than in 16. I think it was around 10 million more votes.
That’s because we had a lot more voters in 2020. Roughly 128 million votes were cast to the top two parties in 2016 and 155 million in 2020.

I strongly hope you’re not counseling your congregation that the election was stolen.

ha. the trial lawyers bar in fla will get behind crist big time for gov. after he was gov last time he went to work for that massive personal injury mill morgan & morgan. he was a solid rainmaker steering a shit ton of gulf oil spill cases to them while he was there
Man's gotta eat right?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I strongly hope you’re not counseling your congregation that the election was stolen.
I have not though some in the church believe this as well. When I preach I am preaching about sin,salvation, continual trust in Christ. I rarely talk about politics from the pulpit or in private conversations with parishioners.

I have not though some in the church believe this as well. When I preach I am preaching about sin,salvation, continual trust in Christ. I rarely talk about politics from the pulpit or in private conversations with parishioners.
You should though. Jesus lives through Trump as you know and what happened with mail in balloting is a modern day crucifixion.

I also disagree with the tactics Mitch has used to stack the SCOTUS, particularly the way he stole the oppty of Obama to add a justice and turned around and gave Trump an additional one. So I'd like to see a more balanced Court, even if that means increasing the number of Justices And I'd like for Mitch's spoken boast that he won't allow Biden to nominate a Justice in year 4 to be a moot point, by ensuring Mitch retires while he's still Minority leader.
That radical SCOTUS just keeps kneecapping you Democrats at every turn.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I wonder what your thoughts on this would be if this had happened on Obama's watch, with he being the one who had told lies that the election was rigged and the Capital stromed by hundreds of liberals in an attempt to stop the EC vote. If I know republicans you guys would blow a gasket or two and there'd be hell to pay like no one has ever seen. After all, you guys are the ones who claim to hold the keys to true patriotism and if liberals stormed the Capital you'd have them up on charges of treason in no time.
He would have been just as critical of them as he has been of Trump and the people that stormed the capital. Somehow most of you just can't accept that there are still people who don't follow the party like trained little sheep.

Stick to religion, man. Your post is so utterly full of shit that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Insurrection is defined as a violent uprising against an authority or government. The Capitol invaders were attempting to stop the constitutionally mandated tally, by Congress, of electoral votes submitted by the states, the final step in certifying a new president. If that doesn't fall within the definition of "insurrection," then nothing does.

The attackers took dumps in the Capitol and then spread their feces in the hallways. They also urinated in hallways, left blood on the bust of a former president, smashed windows and vandalized offices. They carried zip ties and nooses, set up a gallows outside, and chanted "Hang Mike Pence!" They attacked cops with flag poles, bear spray and their fists, one cop died, 140 members of law enforcement were injured, and, as of June 4, seventeen were still out of work.

Your claim that there was no insurrection makes you look like a fool.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Stick to religion, man. Your post is so utterly full of shit that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Insurrection is defined as a violent uprising against an authority or government. The Capitol invaders were attempting to stop the constitutionally mandated tally, by Congress, of electoral votes submitted by the states, the final step in certifying a new president. If that doesn't fall within the definition of "insurrection," then nothing does.

The attackers took dumps in the Capitol and then spread their feces in the hallways. They also urinated in hallways, left blood on the bust of a former president, smashed windows and vandalized offices. They carried zip ties and nooses, set up a gallows outside, and chanted "Hang Mike Pence!" They attacked cops with flag poles, bear spray and their fists, one cop died, 140 members of law enforcement were injured, and, as of June 4, seventeen were still out of work.

That’s not what makes him look like a fool, just adds to it.

How did Trump get more votes then?
McMurtry has nailed it but since I've heard those points before I'm going to respond.

1. You are greatly underestimating the anti-Trump vote. He could be running against a bag of sand and it would have gotten more votes than Obama. Many felt the only reason he won in 2016 was because he was underestimated as how bad he was going to lose and since Hillary was a fairly polerizing candidate, many chose not to vote.

Trump brought out voters on both sides.

2. Dems in general took the pandemic very seriously. The 'liberal media' was covering covid as it's top story every night. We were pissed that the right didn't seem to give an f, certainly not anywhere close to the level on the left.

Point being, we aren't coming out for a dumb love fest. Biden, who represents the left, wasn't going to do any love festivals because we thought it was irresponsible and tone deaf.

So this whole 'but no one came out to his rallies' makes sense in a normal year but not in the middle of a health crisis with an airborne virus.

Now take that view on the virus and apply it to voting. Dems did not want to go to the polls to vote due to safety concerns. Which meant we were going to vote by mail.

It was estimated that mail in votes would be over 70% Dem votes while polling votes would be 70% Trump.

How do you spin that into a scam? Well every state handles it differently but if you know you're going to be that dominant in a way to vote, pick the states that open mail ballots late and scream foul play because you'll have a huge lead since polling was counted first.

Which is exactly what he did.

For example Texas counts mail in votes either first or how they come in....Biden had a huge lead in the early evening. Of course the liberal media reported the polling vote have yet to come in ...so we didn't think much of it.

Sure enough, after the polling votes were added, Trump won Texas.

The flip side was states that counted mail in last. You saw Trump with big early leads and when the mail in votes cane in, Biden made a huge push many times to overtake the win.

Your sources said it was foul play because Trump was leading at the end of the night.

Emotional much? Insurrection is a crime under the US code and nobody so far has been charged with it.

under your definition of insurrection the BLM occupiers insurrected in some cities (eg Rochester) too. Or is it only insurrection when LARPers do it?

McMurtry has nailed it but since I've heard those points before I'm going to respond.

1. You are greatly underestimating the anti-Trump vote. He could be running against a bag of sand and it would have gotten more votes than Obama. Many felt the only reason he won in 2016 was because he was underestimated as how bad he was going to lose and since Hillary was a fairly polerizing candidate, many chose not to vote.

Trump brought out voters on both sides.

2. Dems in general took the pandemic very seriously. The 'liberal media' was covering covid as it's top story every night. We were pissed that the right didn't seem to give an f, certainly not anywhere close to the level on the left.

Point being, we aren't coming out for a dumb love fest. Biden, who represents the left, wasn't going to do any love festivals because we thought it was irresponsible and tone deaf.

So this whole 'but no one came out to his rallies' makes sense in a normal year but not in the middle of a health crisis with an airborne virus.

Now take that view on the virus and apply it to voting. Dems did not want to go to the polls to vote due to safety concerns. Which meant we were going to vote by mail.

It was estimated that mail in votes would be over 70% Dem votes while polling votes would be 70% Trump.

How do you spin that into a scam? Well every state handles it differently but if you know you're going to be that dominant in a way to vote, pick the states that open mail ballots late and scream foul play because you'll have a huge lead since polling was counted first.

Which is exactly what he did.

For example Texas counts mail in votes either first or how they come in....Biden had a huge lead in the early evening. Of course the liberal media reported the polling vote have yet to come in ...so we didn't think much of it.

Sure enough, after the polling votes were added, Trump won Texas.

The flip side was states that counted mail in last. You saw Trump with big early leads and when the mail in votes cane in, Biden made a huge push many times to overtake the win.

Your sources said it was foul play because Trump was leading at the end of the night.
You’re wasting your damn time.

Reactions: UncleMark
but cosmic again it's always the same dance. the guy's nuts. and a liar. the dems have nuts people that are liars too. to focus exclusively on one side's nuts while ignoring people who have ptsd from trespassers but don't want to fund more cops is insane. and the latter gets far more national play and has far more influence than the idiot you're citing. i recognize the insanity of my own side. hell mccloskey is having a pink shirt drive in rino bbq roast in a mall parking lot with general flynn as the speaker. how insane is that shit show. and that's no more insane than the progressive dem elected mayor here who wants to close the jail and reduce police funding. there. are. crazies. on. both. sides. yet somehow you don't see it
The difference it seems to me, is that polling doesn't show the majority of Dems agreeing with or backing Dem "crazies". AOC is more of a topic of conversation on Fox or Newsmax than she is among mainstream Dems, and I basically ignore her when she reverts to craziness. AOC makes Instagram posts where she says crazy things, while most of the GOP crazies hold rallies in front of the faithful while continually grifting them for $$...

Crazy Mike Lindell's WI rally from this past weekend featuring Diamond and Silk (and the Trump address I posted elsewhere) popped up in my youtube feed on Sat and I watched it for a while. I'm not aware of any Dems currently out holding rallies and saying crazy things. Maybe it's just more obvious because the GOP is out talking about wacky Big Lie fantasies and other Conspiracy theories.

But at the same time polling consistently shows that MOST GOP respondents believe that the election was "stolen". So I'm not sure you can characterize the wacky elements within the GOP as "fringe". I don't know if I'd have been out in the streets in June 2017 listening to HRC and her supporters claim that they lost because software changed election results because it never happened.

i don't know. in my adult life i always think of it starting with rush. he became fabulously wealthy with shock partisan journalism. my brethren conservatives will cast aspersions my way but i point to rush for the media and newt in congress as the genesis for the divisive dysfunctional partisan world we live in today
I think in Indy it basically preceded Rush, although Rush certainly monetized "talk radio" to unprecedented levels. Indy is the home of the John Birch Society, and they used to have a show on late Sun night when I was a kid that basically was made up of Birchers. There were other shows local to Indy (mainly on Sarkes Tarzian Channel 4, known mainly for IU games) that seemed to emulate and have a similar format to Buckley's Firing Line.

I think they were programmed in a format utilizing Buckley as a lead-in designed to capture an audience, though my memory is hazy because it was back when I was in Elementary school or earlier. Another thing I seem to remember is that Channel 4 always signed off with a midnight rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner, and all of that programing seemed to run together on Sunday nights...

WIBC (IIRC) in Indy had a local guy Stan Solomon who may have preceded Rush locally, and who was all wrapped up in a pre-direct TV satellite network (maybe Equifax?) and seemed obsessed with selling it and select channels to "patriots" who made up his radio audience. That seems like the early 90s, maybe about the time Mike Pence was broadcasting his show before he ever ran for Congress.

I used to drive for work, and I'd catch Pence whenever I was around Bloomington/Bedford or somewhere like Worthington... Later, I was shocked people actually elected him to Congress- he just never struck me as "bright"...

Prior to that in the mid-80s after returning from Germany in '85, I lived in the SLC area, and I used to drive 3 or 4 times a week to Wendover NV to gamble. That stretch of I 70 only had about 4 exits from SLC to Wendover via the Salt flats, and I listened to a country station that had some talk show program (wasn't Rush) that I would catch if my trip coincided with the time the show aired.

I remember one time they were running a call-in contest and I knew the answer and pulled off at the next exit to phone in (no cell phones back then). It was like two streets and looked like a ghost town with not a soul or even a phone booth in sight. I remember how frustrated I was because I really wanted to win the prize, and all I could do was continue on to the next exit which was about 45 mins away...

Reactions: TommyCracker
Insurrection is a crime under the US code and nobody so far has been charged with it.
Prosecutors go first with charges that are easy to prove, as long as the penalties will be substantial. It doesn't mean that they didn't also commit the greater offense. The insurrection charge would be difficult and the "my client is far too stupid to have any idea about how to successfully pull off a coup" defense would actually be a very good one. Exceptions could and should be made for certain people, like the guy who supposedly made pipe bombs. Hopefully that will be coming.

You’re wasting your damn time.
I know but I actually feel like I know the subject matter well enough since I followed it like a freak over the past two years that maybe someone would read it and go....damn, that makes sense.

I've heard those points come up so many times online and in real life that it's definitely a widely held thing/belief.

Emotional much? Insurrection is a crime under the US code and nobody so far has been charged with it.

under your definition of insurrection the BLM occupiers insurrected in some cities (eg Rochester) too. Or is it only insurrection when LARPers do it?
Other than calling Van out for an incredibly stupid comment, there's nothing "emotional" about my post. It's factual.

I wasn't talking about the crime of insurrection. It's an obscure criminal statute that is rarely - - if ever - - charged by the feds. But, as someone else said, prosecutors want convictions and are going to charge underlying crimes that are easier to prosecute and easier to prove. That doesn't negate that this was, in fact, an insurrection as that term is commonly defined and understood. Finally, it's likely that some "seditious conspiracy" charges come out of this when all is said and done.

Other than calling Van out for an incredibly stupid comment, there's nothing "emotional" about my post. It's factual.

I wasn't talking about the crime of insurrection. It's an obscure criminal statute that is rarely - - if ever - - charged by the feds. But, as someone else said, prosecutors want convictions and are going to charge underlying crimes that are easier to prosecute and easier to prove. That doesn't negate that this was, in fact, an insurrection as that term is commonly defined and understood. Finally, it's likely that some "seditious conspiracy" charges come out of this when all is said and done.
Ok so the occupation of Rochester municipal buildings? Is that an insurrection? Or can only the evil right insurrect?

You’ve been gaslighted by the media to have to declare it an insurrection. It’s all consuming and hyper partisan and you need to think critically. But you won’t because you have to be the good guy and we have to be the bad guys.

say goodnight to the bad guy

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so the occupation of Rochester municipal buildings? Is that an insurrection? Or can only the evil right insurrect?

You’ve been gaslighted by the media to have to declare it an insurrection. It’s all consuming and hyper partisan and you need to think critically. But you won’t because you have to be the good guy and we have to be the bad guys.

No, dude. I haven't been gaslighted by anyone. I have eyes and ears. I can read and I can think. I saw what happened on Jan 6. I know the dictionary definition of insurrection. And what happened on Jan 6 fits that definition to a T.

But don't take my word for it. What have the top two Congressional Republicans said? On January 6, Mitch McConnell labeled it a "failed insurrection." And Kevin McCarthy, in an interview with Chris Wallace in April, noted that "you had an insurrection at the Capitol." And, finally, there's Trump lawyer, Michael van der Veen, who commented at Trump's most recent impeachment trial, "The question before us is not whether there was a violent insurrection of the Capitol. On that point, everyone agrees."

I know that there is now a concerted effort by congressional Republicans to essentially delete the word (insurrection) from the English language because they know it's harmful to their midterm prospects. But neither the word nor the memory of the January 6 insurrection are going away.

With respect to the Rochester matter, I'm not that familiar with it but maybe it too was an insurrection. Was it violent? Were people injured? Were the offenders trying to hunt down councilmen/women, or did they threaten to hang the Vice Mayor?

There are certain minds that won’t be changed. We/they just see things differently. It’s a waste to try

I always learn something about Trump supporters when VPM posts something like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT