ADVERTISEMENT

What do these 21 cowards have in common?

Wait -- your winning theory is that "Trump is out"?

I don't think he (or Gaetz or Greene or Mike Braun) considers Trump out yet. Events may prove you to be right, but you are about the only one who thinks Trump is out of the picture.
the q folks that were ostensibly "in charge" recognize that they've been duped and moved on which i think was the topic. i'm doing too many things so don't remember exactly. as for trump himself he'll fade with the benefit of time passing - his own volition; indictments; cholesterol; whatever

yup. rush's show (i believe) went national a few years after howard stern. i always thought he saw an opportunity in the political arena to emulate a bit of howard's shock jock stuff. howard would have celebs and the stripper chair and the rat pack and all that but when he would just have conversations with jackie and robin and all them about current events or his weekend or whatever he was pure entertainment genius. i loved listening to him without all the sophomoric stuff. tangent over.
Rat pack? Whack pack.

Reactions: DRH4IU
what's more it's infiltrated outlets that we all once held in high esteem like 60 minutes. From Anderson cooper's transparent hit jobs on the police to the outright lies about Desantis and covid that were literally debunked with a blowhorn by fla dems. one would have to have their head deep up their ass not to see the media is pushing an agenda - and it ain't just cnn
A wuttabout here but do we need to recap every Fox news piece, particularly their opinion shows?

Biden as a singular topic has been 'reported' as having dementia to a creepy pedophile to a communist to a communist puppet to an antifa super soldier.

And the Desantis piece about awarding Publix exclusive vaccination deployment after it was discovered that they are a pretty big contributor (which is true)....that's indefensible?

The right doesn't get to control a medium for years and then complain when a response rises that uses similar tactics (or did I just dream the radio career of Limbaugh who spouted right wing propaganda and conspiracies on a zillion radio stations all owned by Murdoch).

When did it start? I hate (usually) what about shit but seriously when did it start?

Fox News. Fair and balanced. Which was always a lie.

There was always going to be a reaction. Air America (terribly bad) and MSNBC (real money). From there it’s an arms race for those sweet sweet eyeballs and ad dollars. To be sure there is real journalism out there. But hardly ever when discussing politics. And hell that might be a response to there not being any real politicians anymore (In the traditional sense. Most are just reality stars now). That’s a chicken and egg argument though I’d probably side with the Congress critters responding to the 24 news predator.

So now we have two sides competing to set the narrative AND NEITHER SIDE CAN BE TRUSTED TO BE 100% HONEST. That’s gone. Over. Edward R Murrow ain’t walking through that door. Our best bets are folks like Christiane Amanpour (get well!) and Fareed Zakaria. At least for TV that is. And guess what? They ain’t on prime time. I know the first amendment is sacrosanct but something needs to be done or we’re doomed.
Thanks Lars, didn't see your post before I responded.

Much better said than I tried. Good post.

A wuttabout here but do we need to recap every Fox news piece, particularly their opinion shows?

Biden as a singular topic has been 'reported' as having dementia to a creepy pedophile to a communist to a communist puppet to an antifa super soldier.

And the Desantis piece about awarding Publix exclusive vaccination deployment after it was discovered that they are a pretty big contributor (which is true)....that's indefensible?

The right doesn't get to control a medium for years and then complain when a response rises that uses similar tactics (or did I just dream the radio career of Limbaugh who spouted right wing propaganda and conspiracies on a zillion radio stations all owned by Murdoch).
nope. both are duplicitous. fox is indefensible. i would argue there are a lot more left-leaning outlets than right tho. but we can think for ourselves and not just buy into the narrative of everything we hear on these shows. the blm unarmed killings is a germane example. lebron and the rest just "so tired." well is this a real issue or not? let's go to the doj and look. let's think for ourselves. let's look at the data. but we don't. we listen and believe the pinheads on opinion news instead of thinking for ourselves

nope. both are duplicitous. fox is indefensible. i would argue there are a lot more left-leaning outlets than right tho. but we can think for ourselves and not just buy into the narrative of everything we hear on these shows. the blm unarmed killings is a germane example. lebron and the rest just "so tired." well is this a real issue or not? let's go to the doj and look. let's think for ourselves. let's look at the data. but we don't. we listen and believe the pinheads on opinion news instead of thinking for ourselves
Yeah on cable tv there are more lib slanted 'news'.

I think but don't know if there is the libtard radio network as big as the right but definitely on tv (until OAN and Newsmax expands way beyond where they are now).

nope. both are duplicitous. fox is indefensible. i would argue there are a lot more left-leaning outlets than right tho
Fox is defensible in that there was no other broadcast outlet, and damn few print outlets, that gave us anything close to objective reporting about the Trump administration. People who bitch about FNC are all about Hannity, Carlson, and a few more. They are mostly awful, but there are other pretty good people.

Yeah on cable tv there are more lib slanted 'news'.

I think but don't know if there is the libtard radio network as big as the right but definitely on tv (until OAN and Newsmax expands way beyond where they are now).
where are oan and newsmax? are they tv stations?

Fox is defensible in that there was no other broadcast outlet, and damn few print outlets, that gave us anything close to objective reporting about the Trump administration. People who bitch about FNC are all about Hannity, Carlson, and a few more. They are mostly awful, but there are other pretty good people.
you might know better coh. i really don't watch any news. i watch bad reality tv and sports

yup. rush's show (i believe) went national a few years after howard stern. i always thought he saw an opportunity in the political arena to emulate a bit of howard's shock jock stuff. howard would have celebs and the stripper chair and the rat pack and all that but when he would just have conversations with jackie and robin and all them about current events or his weekend or whatever he was pure entertainment genius. i loved listening to him without all the sophomoric stuff. tangent over.
There’s a decent podcast out there called Behind the Bastards that “examines” particularly bad people and disasters. It’s farrrrr left leaning but can hit the mark sometimes. I think they did on Rush. If he’d only been a better DJ. Tough to say he was ever a true believer or more of an opportunist.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
but cosmic again it's always the same dance. the guy's nuts. and a liar. the dems have nuts people that are liars too. to focus exclusively on one side's nuts while ignoring people who have ptsd from trespassers but don't want to fund more cops is insane. and the latter gets far more national play and has far more influence than the idiot you're citing. i recognize the insanity of my own side. hell mccloskey is having a pink shirt drive in rino bbq roast in a mall parking lot with general flynn as the speaker. how insane is that shit show. and that's no more insane than the progressive dem elected mayor here who wants to close the jail and reduce police funding. there. are. crazies. on. both. sides. yet somehow you don't see it
Translation of McMurtry:

1. Republicans/Rightwingers include people who are nuts.

2. We can't talk about them because he says Leftwingers include people who are nuts.

3. Before calling attention to Rightwingers who are nuts, McMurtry thinks we should first rule out the possibility somebody else throughout history was also nuts.

4. If there are others beside Rightwingers who are nuts, we can't talk about them until and unless we distinguish their behavior from everybody else through history.

5. No one can make a simple little-bitty comment about crazy behavior by Rightwingers' unless they first demonstrate that nobody else in history has done anything similar.

Did I miss anything? C'mon man.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
There’s a decent podcast out there called Behind the Bastards that “examines” particularly bad people and disasters. It’s farrrrr left leaning but can hit the mark sometimes. I think they did on Rush. If he’d only been a better DJ. Tough to say he was ever a true believer or more of an opportunist.
interesting! my suspicion is a little of both

i don't know. in my adult life i always think of it starting with rush. he became fabulously wealthy with shock partisan journalism. my brethren conservatives will cast aspersions my way but i point to rush for the media and newt in congress as the genesis for the divisive dysfunctional partisan world we live in today
Yes, Rush and Newt are the bellwethers of this bullshit.

If you’re satisfied with a completely impartial media on the majority, then we have nothing further to discuss.
I'm just over the constant whining about the "Liberal Media!". I won't argue that they're not, I'm just tired of the sniveling.

I hate to admit I was a big Jim Rome fan back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. Smack offs were gold
when i was living in fla i used to listen to this annoying radio guy that sort of hit it big: bubba the love sponge. his claim to fame was being tight with hulk hogan lol. anyway he was a shitty version of howard but was from warsaw indiana. we used to sue some of the med product companies from there. i've never been but it's been a place i've been aware of for 25 years

he was such a little bitch. screaming laughing. i liked his show too
"Chris" Everett seemed to like him, too.

DifficultPlayfulIberianmole-size_restricted.gif

i don't know. in my adult life i always think of it starting with rush. he became fabulously wealthy with shock partisan journalism. my brethren conservatives will cast aspersions my way but i point to rush for the media and newt in congress as the genesis for the divisive dysfunctional partisan world we live in today
I think the media began going off the rails with Watergate. Woodstein covered up some really important Watergate information to keep the Nixon coverup story going which was accurate but by no means the only part of it. That’s when political reporting became less about reporting and more about leaks, investigations, and advocacy. Rush was very opportunistic and monetized a lot of what bubbling beneath the surface.

I don’t understand your point about Newt. He and WJC worked out some pretty good compromises with the budget, welfare, criminal justice. This carried over when W and Teddy K worked out an education deal. Congress started down hill with Iraq and the pace is accelerating. Compromise now is very difficult.

Reactions: IUJIM
was she at the capitol on jan 6? is that what these charges arise from? or were there no kidnapping charges from the 6th so you had to pick a different (nonresponsive) event?
R-i-i-g-h-t.

We should take seriously the statements of Rightwing nut jobs in Michigan (and other states) that they are going to kidnap the Governor after invading the Michigan Capitol.
where are oan and newsmax? are they tv stations?
They are on the Comcast HD package, if nowhere else.

I don’t understand your point about Newt. He and WJC worked out some pretty good compromises with the budget, welfare, criminal justice.
This is priceless. That little dustup around lying about blowjobs doesn't even merit a mention? You're a treasure. Don't ever change.

R-i-i-g-h-t.

We should take seriously the statements of Rightwing nut jobs in Michigan (and other states) that they are going to kidnap the Governor after invading the Michigan Capitol.

They are on the Comcast HD package, if nowhere else.
Nonresponsive to topic. Capitol. Jan 6. Kidnapping. Who?

This is priceless. That little dustup around lying about blowjobs doesn't even merit a mention? You're a treasure. Don't ever change.
Right. It doesn’t merit a mention. Whats more priceless is that you don’t even know why.

I think the media began going off the rails with Watergate. Woodstein covered up some really important Watergate information to keep the Nixon coverup story going which was accurate but by no means the only part of it. That’s when political reporting became less about reporting and more about leaks, investigations, and advocacy. Rush was very opportunistic and monetized a lot of what bubbling beneath the surface.

I don’t understand your point about Newt. He and WJC worked out some pretty good compromises with the budget, welfare, criminal justice. This carried over when W and Teddy K worked out an education deal. Congress started down hill with Iraq and the pace is accelerating. Compromise now is very difficult.
Newt’s tactics/decorum. Good vs evil. Hyperbole. Monicagate. Manipulating the media. Weaponizing shutdowns. It’s not about outcomes but methods

Reactions: UncleMark
Nope. The topic is "what do these 21 cowards have in common?" You're the one who deflected.
You were talking about kidnapping on Jan 6 then I said bs so you pointed to kidnapping in Michigan. Nonresponsive. As for the 21 “cowards” who gives a F it was re trophies. Lefties voted against actually giving them additional funding.

Newt’s tactics/decorum. Good vs evil. Hyperbole. Monicagate. Manipulating the media. Weaponizing shutdowns. It’s not about outcomes but methods
Newt nationalized the 1994 midterm. I suppose that could be part of the congressional dysfunction foundation. I agree shutdown was a mistake. I don’t know how Newt manipulated the media. Monica was a historical meh.

Our side doesn't gaslight ...there's no left wing liberal nationalistic agenda. Russia, Iran and China don't have troll farms dedicated to pushing the liberal progressive agenda. Plus it just doesn't work against the socially secure and educated. Gaslighting only works on the socially malcontent and stupid.

It still eventually targets and radicalizes us because we have to put up with what the dumb people say after being gaslighted because like most normal sane people, we get angry at gross stupidity and begin to hate the dumbasses who repeat it.

So the propaganda has a multi target ability that radicalizes both sides but in different ways. It radicalizes the dumb, the dumb in turn piss us off by being dumb, thus radicalizing us.

This is known ..

signed, Goebbels.
Horseshit. The troll farms were in full effect on the racial front last summer. You dumb enough to think they only targeted conservatives? There’s evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Newt nationalized the 1994 midterm. I suppose that could be part of the congressional dysfunction foundation. I agree shutdown was a mistake. I don’t know how Newt manipulated the media. Monica was a historical meh.
Monica wasn’t historical from 98-2000

If we’re talking about newt in the 90’s then we take Monica of the 90’s not the historical footnote she is now.
No, we are not talking about Newt in the 90’s. Im talking about Newt‘s impact on today’s political dysfunction. Monica is a shrug in that regard.

No, we are not talking about Newt in the 90’s. Im talking about Newt‘s impact on today’s political dysfunction. Monica is a shrug in that regard.
Well fine. I’m only noting Monica wasn’t a shrug in 1998 or so. Monica gate hardly has any influence today. Trump really put the final nail in infidelity ever mattering again (among others).

Newt’s a smart guy. He knew exactly what he was doing then and I fear he knew as well what it would do to political discourse for a generation afterwards. But he won. So there’s that I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT