ADVERTISEMENT

What Do Foreign Correspondents Think of the U.S.?

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot

Sidebar:
U.S. Image Plummets Internationally as Most Say Country Has Handled Coronavirus Badly
Ratings for Trump remain poor

PG_2020.09.15_U.S.-Image_0-01.png

PG_2020.09.15_U.S.-Image_0-14.png

The price for this will be a further erosion of the US hegemony ... and with that damage on the Made in USA brand and exports.

Oh because the Euro’s are simply crushing COVID right?

Edit: just again today on a Teams call, our head of marketing in Japan confirmed there are very few people being tested in Japan

Hospitalization metrics are independent of testing. Hospitalization / deaths are metrics that should be highlighted to mitigate the variability of testing.

Reactions: UncleMark
Hospitalization metrics are independent of testing. Hospitalization / deaths are metrics that should be highlighted to mitigate the variability of testing.
Yes, and last I checked all of Western Europe is spiking too.

Yes, and last I checked all of Western Europe is spiking too.
We have some good friends who live in Netherlands in The Hague. They sympathize with us on the virus and do realize that it’s easier to control theirs since it’s a smaller country but then their government subsidizes the businesses and citizens more/better than here. The last correspondence with them they said the virus was taking off again and word was the government was going to start shutting everything down again. Now if you want to talk about what they and Europeans think about Trump that would be totally different.

We have some good friends who live in Netherlands in The Hague. They sympathize with us on the virus and do realize that it’s easier to control theirs since it’s a smaller country but then their government subsidizes the businesses and citizens more/better than here. The last correspondence with them they said the virus was taking off again and word was the government was going to start shutting everything down again. Now if you want to talk about what they and Europeans think about Trump that would be totally different.
This is exactly right. I can’t stand Trump. But I also can’t stand whiny snipes from afar from countries that aren’t handling it any better.

This virus is gonna run through us until a vaccine is ready. If we are going to keep shutting down then the stimuli have to keep coming. It comes in Euro and many Asian countries so they don’t have as much to lose economically.

This is exactly right. I can’t stand Trump. But I also can’t stand whiny snipes from afar from countries that aren’t handling it any better.

This virus is gonna run through us until a vaccine is ready. If we are going to keep shutting down then the stimuli have to keep coming. It comes in Euro and many Asian countries so they don’t have as much to lose economically.
South Korea. Seoul is jam-packed with people. You’re free to have your pet peeves but South Korea laid out the roadmap and any denial is ignorance at best. 50+ million people, less than a 1000 deaths.

Bottom line, either the nation is civically responsible or it’s not. Either leadership fosters rational behavior or it doesn’t. It’s not magic, miraculous, or rocket science.

South Korea. Seoul is jam-packed with people. You’re free to have your pet peeves but South Korea laid out the roadmap and any denial is ignorance at best. 50+ million people, less than a 1000 deaths.

Bottom line, either the nation is civically responsible or it’s not. Either leadership fosters rational behavior or it doesn’t. It’s not magic, miraculous, or rocket science.
What roadmap? Are you ready to go full-on CCTV, facial recognition software, and lack of privacy? I’m not. Not even close.

Edit: to be honest, if I lived in such a population dense nation I might be in favor of it - but with our infrastructure here and wide open spaces available to us I will not accept such privacy invasion

What roadmap? Are you ready to go full-on CCTV, facial recognition software, and lack of privacy? I’m not. Not even close.

Edit: to be honest, if I lived in such a population dense nation I might be in favor of it - but with our infrastructure here and wide open spaces available to us I will not accept such privacy invasion
I got nothing to hide.

For some reason, I just imagined Winston Smith sitting in his little alcove with his diary.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Oh because the Euro’s are simply crushing COVID right?
I wouldn't gloat. Everyone knew a second wave was coming and it will hit us too.

I wonder who will handle it better and what the count look like in mid Jan or Feb.

Maybe make a bet? or not ..

Here's a joke to lighten the mood ..

How many dumb Americans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
I wouldn't gloat. Everyone knew a second wave was coming and it will hit us too.

I wonder who will handle it better and what the count look like in mid Jan or Feb.

Who’s gloating?

Only one if his name is Donald Trump.

Not according to my former teammates living there. The lockdowns have been devastating.

No lockdowns are good. But they have got out of it.

Put it another way -- we are in discussions here to have an air bridge between SG and OZ now. Meaning that people can fly back & forth without 2 weeks quarantine. On the spot, saliva testing only at the airport.

No lockdowns are good. But they have got out of it.
Ha. My buddy is a top ten franchise owner in Australia. People are furious. Worst economy in thirty years with devastating consequences. 1,200 jobs a day gone. Over 30 percent increase in mental health treatment. On and on.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa
Ha. My buddy is a top ten franchise owner in Australia. People are furious. Worst economy in thirty years with devastating consequences.

Sure. People are suffering too in SG. But you need to clear the situation -- put a system in place to enable the gov't to manage the pandemic and keep the numbers negligible in order for people to have confidence.
We have been out of lockdown since June, the numbers have been declining consistently.

We barely have any cases within the community now -- only cases are those that are 'imports' -- like yesterday there were 7 imports -- all asymptos caught at the border or airport.

The retail shops continue to struggle since consumer habits have switched in a big way. A friend of mine now gets her fruits delivered now never mind heavier items like laundry detergents etc. Food delivery service is huge now.

It will be a restructuring of the economy. Buildings need to be rejigged so that they can offer better more realistic rentals (they are extremely high here.) And new sectors need to come up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT