ADVERTISEMENT

What concert are you most ashamed/embarrassed that you went to?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
For me it might be Black Sabbath when I was in high school. Not because it was Sabbath, but because they did NOT show up and I was nearly involved in the riot that came close to erupting...

Luckily cooler heads prevailed, and the crowd's outrage was limited to loud boos and pelting the poor unfortunate locals recruited as a replacement with those plastic orange shaped drink containers that they used to sell at movies that were shown at the Lyric Theatre in downtown Indy. The details are blurry (it's been over 50 yrs) but I remember attending with some of my fellow student staff for the school radio station...

Got the idea for this topic from a thread on BTX. This post cracked me up and made me wonder if anyone here could top it...

"I've seen Limp Bizkit with Kid Rock. You can just end the thread right now."
steelers02547

Reactions: kkott
I've had pretty good luck with shows, but my answer, while maybe not obvious, is easy for me and it's worse because they got my money twice. Saw the Cars in 81 or 82 in Indy. Not bad, because I liked them and they were popular, but they were the worst live act I've ever seen. Combined the band members probably didn't move 12' during the show and they didn't speak to the audience after their intro "Hello Indy!"... which was as warm as it got. Anyway, what compounded the blunder was that the Kinks played the same night at the Convention Center to only about 2000, and undoubtedly would have been a better show. Rock legends, vs a mannequin concert... I picked the mannequins, DOH! Then, I went to see them a few years later with the girl I was dating and it was the same no effort suckage as before. Good studio band, horrible live "performers".

PS. I wanted to insure my son went to a good first concert and didn't have to be forever saddled with saying he went to see Miley Cyrus or one of the boy bands popular at the time, so after buying him tix to Aerosmith, who later cancelled, we went to see Petty for his first show. Gorgeous night and still one of my favorite shows because it was my son's first concert, and all the more memorable to me now that Tom is gone.

Last edited:
Ani DiFranco. Not because I didn't enjoy her show, I actually did. But because I think I may have been the only dude in the crowd. But my GF was a fan and wanted me to go the show with her. And let's just say it was well worth it since we spent the night at an airbnb after the show.

Reactions: UncleMark and kkott
Ani DiFranco. Not because I didn't enjoy her show, I actually did. But because I think I may have been the only dude in the crowd. But my GF was a fan and wanted me to go the show with her. And let's just say it was well worth it since we spent the night at an airbnb after the show.

Oh, to compound my hatred of the Cars live, I didn't even sniff getting laid. Does your GF like the Cars by chance?

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I saw some shitty opening acts, but you can't hold that against somebody. I did go see Flock of Seagulls on purpose, but I'm not really embarrassed about it.

Jaime Callum. A Chinese skinhead in my youth... I lost street cred there. But both concerts were free. :rolleyes:
Ex-gf was or is managing editor of a magazine group.
One was sponsored by a whiskey company. The other concert was just free tix.
Having worked on a cruise ship early in his career he knew how to work the crowd.

Insane Clown Posse (ICP)

Man I had forgotten about those clowns (no pun intended). I used to have some work acquaintances back in the 90s who were ICP fans. The kids were a little weird, but I didn't really know too much about the whole ICP scene at the time. Just assumed it was another 90s era music scene- lots of largely forgettable acts...

Later as I learned more I started to realize how much of a drastic understatement a "little weird" was... If you've never heard of Juggalos, Juggalettes and the Gathering- check this out...

Henry Lee Summer, not the late 80's version when I was at IU, but the 2015 recovering meth head version in a bar on the South Side of Indy. Not a pretty sight... no cover so there was that.

Henry Lee was a fun show back in the 80s. Hard to imagine him in 2015, I'd heard about his struggles and am suprised he's still alive frankly, let alone still performing. That couldn't have been pretty.

Anyone remember a punk/new age band call The Scene that played Indy/Btown in the mid/late 80s? They were always a fun show.

yeah, nothing worse than mostly girls at concerts.

not.

closest i came to that was Eddie Money at an Indy nightclub.

talk about a milf fest.

Ani DiFranco. Not because I didn't enjoy her show, I actually did. But because I think I may have been the only dude in the crowd.

One time I went to a concert at the Cincinnati Zoo to see the Indigo Girls, knowing absolutely nothing about them at all, but that my GF (now wife) was a fan.

I swear, I was the only straight person there, and one of the very few guys. They are talented and put on a good show, though.

Reactions: MaxCoke
yeah, nothing worse than mostly girls at concerts.

not.

closest i came to that was Eddie Money at an Indy nightclub.

talk about a milf fest.
Rick Springfield played Indy's rib fest 15+ years ago and my wife wanted see him. Talk about a Milf fest.

One time I went to a concert at the Cincinnati Zoo to see the Indigo Girls, knowing absolutely nothing about them at all, but that my GF (now wife) was a fan.

I swear, I was the only straight person there, and one of the very few guys. They are talented and put on a good show, though.
Exactly how the Ani DeFranco show was.

Reactions: outside shooter
never saw any concert that i was ashamed about seeing, and i've seen a wide variety of acts from The Who, BOC, REO, Springsteen, Billy Idol, Alice Cooper, David Johansen, Iggy, to Johnny Mathis, The Lettermen, Dion, The Turtles, Chubby Checker, Sha Na Na, and many in between.

i'll leave the music snobbery to TMP.

btw, i've also listened to Miley.

girl can flat sing, even if she does need to lose the stripper act.

Ever been to a Mary Chapin Carpenter concert? Loaded with chicks, but half of them are more manly than you are!

yeah, but what about the other half?

and ok with me if they came in groups of 2 or 3.

th

Reactions: BigMobe
never saw any concert that i was ashamed about seeing, and i've seen a wide variety of acts from The Who, BOC, REO, Springsteen, Billy Idol, Alice Cooper, David Johansen, Iggy, to Johnny Mathis, The Lettermen, Dion, The Turtles, Chubby Checker, Sha Na Na, and many in between.

I think I saw Johnny Mathis with my dad as a kid.

I think I saw Johnny Mathis with my dad as a kid.

might want to add "in concert" to that. bwg

yeah, Johnny was.

great singer though.

great that your dad took you to see him.

i'll presume from your post you were too young to really appreciate it as a concert, and was probably more about doing something with your dad as a kid.

did he take you to other concerts?

Reactions: IUJIM
I saw Ratt, Poison, and I believe Georgia Satellites together in the mid-80s at the Hulman Center in Terre Haute. Think I was in 8th or 9th grade.

First concert I went to (without parents, with them I saw the Temptations at the Ryman. My dad was friends with Jack Greene so we’d get backstage Opry tix every now & then) was Tesla/Poison at Roberts Stadium in ‘87 or ‘88...

might want to add "in concert" to that. bwg

yeah, Johnny was.

great singer though.

great that your dad took you to see him.

i'll presume from your post you were too young to really appreciate it as a concert, and was probably more about doing something with your dad as a kid.

did he take you to other concerts?

I was probably like 10. I think we saw Sha Na Na too, with him.

He loved his music -- he highlight was seeing Dizzy at the Village Gate, NYC but I wasn't there. My sisters took him.

First concert I went on my own was Boomtown Rats, maybe at 15-16. My very first concert was Clapton with my school friends.

Henry Lee was a fun show back in the 80s. Hard to imagine him in 2015, I'd heard about his struggles and am suprised he's still alive frankly, let alone still performing. That couldn't have been pretty.

Anyone remember a punk/new age band call The Scene that played Indy/Btown in the mid/late 80s? They were always a fun show.

It wasn't pretty, but if you closed your eyes it still sounded the same...

• maybe...Counting Crows?
  • most regrettable was Red Hot Chile Peppers....just saw Willie Nelson and that was terrible too
  • most disappointing was had tickets for Jimmy Page/Black Crowes...they cancelled tour...was 19 and going with a bunch of 21 year olds too
  • most brain cells lost was anytime Phish came to Deer Creek at Pine Lakes.....anybody else at Pine Lakes in the late '90s?...it made Sodom and Gomorrah look like amateur hour

Miley can flat out sing. It’s too bad she’s such an attention whore, because it ruins her a bit. To me at least.

FInal Four in Detroit a few years back. Free concert outdoors was Pussycat Dolls and Gavin Degraw. It was freezing outside too. Gavin was pretty good. The Dolls looked nipply.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
  • maybe...Counting Crows?
  • most regrettable was Red Hot Chile Peppers....just saw Willie Nelson and that was terrible too
  • most disappointing was had tickets for Jimmy Page/Black Crowes...they cancelled tour...was 19 and going with a bunch of 21 year olds too
  • most brain cells lost was anytime Phish came to Deer Creek at Pine Lakes.....anybody else at Pine Lakes in the late '90s?...it made Sodom and Gomorrah look like amateur hour
I did some business in Indianapolis in the early 200's. One day on my way down I-69., I drove by Pine Lake, and it was totally out of character. It looked like leftovers from Woodstock but about 2 Generations Younger. One of the guys I met with did part time work as an Usher at Deer Creek. I mentioned it to him in passing, and he indicated to me they were the Phishheads who followed the Band around. Apparently the Deadheads with less access to showers, soap, and health facilities. I don't even want to think about the quality of the Groupies based upon what I saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT