ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations of Romeo this year?

Wall2Boogie

Sophomore
Jan 28, 2010
i know you guys feel he can put that team on his back and lead you to a big ten championship and maybe the second weekend of the ncaa tournament. Realistically, do you think he will be as goood as it better than Eric Gordon? Gordon was really good for you guys in his one year and put the team in his back. Yes he had some help, but can Romeo do the same, or will he be more like oladipo, in the sense that he may not take over from day one but by the end of the year he will be the man. Oladipo, is tough because he stayed more than one year but will Romeo be as good as he was his final year at iu? Just curious on your expectations of Romeo and what you will realistically expect out of him.

i know you guys feel he can put that team on his back and lead you to a big ten championship and maybe the second weekend of the ncaa tournament. Realistically, do you think he will be as goood as it better than Eric Gordon? Gordon was really good for you guys in his one year and put the team in his back. Yes he had some help, but can Romeo do the same, or will he be more like oladipo, in the sense that he may not take over from day one but by the end of the year he will be the man. Oladipo, is tough because he stayed more than one year but will Romeo be as good as he was his final year at iu? Just curious on your expectations of Romeo and what you will realistically expect out of him.

I'm hoping he is 1st team All Big Ten.

Romeo will (if he avoids injuries):
  • lead the team in minutes played
  • lead the team in scoring
  • play solid defense
  • average 4.5 rebounds per game
  • hit enough 3s to stretch the floor and open driving lanes
  • be a role model of what an IU basketball player should be on and off the court

A not as good Eric Gordon....

30 MPG
15 PPG
38% 3PT
All B10 Second Team (Edwards and Matthews First)
B10 Freshman of the Year

Id say 15 a game. He will be the main backcourt guy. I think Romeo, green, mcroberts, and Durham will be the main backcourt rotation. Rob p may see minutes but not as the starting pg imo. I'd think we will only play like 8 guys once the big ten starts.

20 pts/game, B1G Freshman of the Year, All-B1G. Romeo can not be compared to other past recruits. Romeo's offensive skillset is far advanced for his age. Romeo is IU's most talented player. The only comparison that I've seen is Isiah Thomas, who absolutely blossomed as a Soph, and who blew up in the 1981 IU NCAA Tournanent domination run! Romeo is very gifted offensively, even in a team game he will easily score in double digits. If the rest of the team is stuggling to score, Romeo has the talent and ability to put the team on his back on offense, and be the #1 option when its winning time.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmathum
Thanks, I asked a legit question and I’ve not trolled once, just enjoy talking hoops especially since you guys have a great class coming in and that’s your response. Keep up the good work. I really like Langford and think he will be huge for you guys this year. I would love to see him go in and beat puke and drop 30 on them.

Pay no attention to it. Most of us know you aren't here to troll.

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
Romeo is a more skilled player coming in than Gordon, but he lacks the physicality Gordon possessed. I think Romeo will have a similar first year as Gordon’s first year.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Make the Hoosiers more competitive and more fun to watch...thats my expectation.

Does that translate to 3-5 more wins?...maybe/maybe not.

Ben Simmons and Markele Fultz never made the NCAA tourney.
Wall and Cousins together never made a Final Four.

It's all conjecture but everything about Romeo suggests he will do what is best for the team.

If the team needs volume shooting and putting up points, he can get 24+ per game, though it may be ugly at times. It may come down to how often he can get to the FT line, which was Gordon's specialty. It would also mean the rest of the team is probably struggling to score. If Morgan, Green, Smith, Hunter and the rest are able to score consistently, he will not have to force anything and he still gets 16 - 18 per game.

Another reason he may not score as much is his minutes. I do not believe he will play as many as some predict. Morgan as a Jr. and Johnson as a Sr. averaged 31 minutes last season on a very thin team. He's more likely to get 26-28 minutes.

He'll probably lead the team in scoring and shots taken. He'll get to the line a lot at home and not so much on the road. Probably has a good shot at BIG freshman of the year. I will be surprised if he makes first team All BIG.

I think he’ll be around 17 points a game, but will have games he scores 30 when the defense is more focused on Morgan. Morgan will score around 15 and shoot 67% (like a freshman TB) with a better 3pt shot to keep defenses honest. McRoberts will be the glue guy, and have a more aggressive offensive approach (he seemed he getting better last year) Smith will probably lead the team in rebounds and score around 9 a game. Everyone else I can’t predict with any accuracy, so I won’t for now.

40pts, 20rebs, 10 assist and anything less will be a disappointment LOL!
Seriously 16/4/2

Last edited:
Reactions: YOTHN and MKordIUBB
A floor of last year's senior Robert Johnson (34 mpg, 14 ppg, 37% 3's) but much more consistent scoring per game.

A ceiling of Eric Gordon (35 mpg, 20.9 ppg, 34% 3's with a sprained wrist).

With his ability to get to the line and to score in more ways than just the perimeter I'd take the ceiling as most likely.

So I'd guess 34 mpg, 19 ppg.

I'll be the skunk at the garden party and say it:

I expect that between flashes of brilliance, he'll have his freshman moments and I don't really expect him to be able to make a difference for us (Wins-wise) unless at least 4 to 6 of his supporting cast are able to elevate their games along with him...

I'm not expecting to see a his full game until January, if at all. Hope I'm wrong and he lights it up from day one all the way to another banner....

He'll probably lead the team in scoring and shots taken. He'll get to the line a lot at home and not so much on the road. Probably has a good shot at BIG freshman of the year. I will be surprised if he makes first team All BIG.

He’s got a good shot at 1st team. Carr is gone. Palmer and Nebraska are/were fools gold. More importantly he’s silly good.

I'll be the skunk at the garden party and say it:

I expect that between flashes of brilliance, he'll have his freshman moments and I don't really expect him to be able to make a difference for us (Wins-wise) unless at least 4 to 6 of his supporting cast are able to elevate their games along with him...

I'm not expecting to see a his full game until January, if at all. Hope I'm wrong and he lights it up from day one all the way to another banner....

I fully understand tempering expectations as to not be let down, but in romeo’s case I don’t think it’s necessary. He’s likely a top 5 pick. He can slash, draw fouls, hit mid range shot, hit deep shots, pile up assists, and defend at a high level with his 6’10 wingspan. He could drag IU to 20 wins all by himself.

I think it will be hard to pinpoint his impact on this team. I think we will see a big improvement from the whole team. If he can average close to 16 points per game with a decent shooting percentage, look out Big Ten.

This. Gordon got to the foul line a ton which is great for getting a large average. I don't know if Romeo comes close to matching that capability. The assists should be more but that stat has a lot of dependence upon the players around him making shots. So I could see that being up to 4 but we'll see.

I fully understand tempering expectations as to not be let down, but in romeo’s case I don’t think it’s necessary. He’s likely a top 5 pick. He can slash, draw fouls, hit mid range shot, hit deep shots, pile up assists, and defend at a high level with his 6’10 wingspan. He could drag IU to 20 wins all by himself.

I'm thrilled to have him (if only for one year) in Bloomington; don't anyone get me wrong; but I'm tempering my expectations of him mainly because he needs a TEAM working with him to meet the kind of expectations many currently have of him along with the fact that this will be his first rodeo in the Big Ten.

Since he wasn't able to beat a bunch of non-D1 types from Ky in that first All Star game by himself, I'm not expecting him to be able to win the Big Ten by himself either...

I'm thrilled to have him (if only for one year) in Bloomington; don't anyone get me wrong; but I'm tempering my expectations of him mainly because he needs a TEAM working with him to meet the kind of expectations many currently have of him along with the fact that this will be his first rodeo in the Big Ten.

Since he wasn't able to beat a bunch of non-D1 types from Ky in that first All Star game by himself, I'm not expecting him to be able to win the Big Ten by himself either...

All star games are not a good indicator. Look at how he did in AAU and at New Albany. And it’s not like the cupboard is bare. He’s got Juwan. He may have Davis. Smith should take a leap. Hunter will contribute immediately. Same with Anderson and hopefully Phinisee. Langford is exactly what IU was missing last year. This year we have him.

Thanks, I asked a legit question and I’ve not trolled once, just enjoy talking hoops especially since you guys have a great class coming in and that’s your response. Keep up the good work. I really like Langford and think he will be huge for you guys this year. I would love to see him go in and beat puke and drop 30 on them.
Good gravy! A reasonable question, too. It’s a billion times better than the post which asked if romeo and juwan are better teammates than eg and white when romeo hasnt even played at IU, yet.

Yeah, I would not worry yourself about the Indiana/Kentucky HS game as any indicator. Those teams aren't formed on either side so it's less put together than a pickup game.

Romeo has Juwan Morgan who himself could be a B1G POY candidate. Romeo isn't walking into a bare cupboard and I know you hope for the best and I understand the hesitation to anoint him, but the defensive first approach and the up and down style employed by Archie will extenuate Romeo's skills. He's a perfect fit at the perfect time. Still shocked we ended up getting him.

Reactions: 76-1
I went to the game Saturday night and he is every bit as good as advertised.

Simple really. I expect:

1. He will start from day one as a shooting guard (not the primary ballhandler since he had 2-3 turnovers per game in high school).

2. He will be the clutch end-of-game foul shooter (80% foul shooter in high school + look at the returning roster+ I saw him hit clutch free throws in high school and, believe me, no pressure fazes him + [long extended sigh] look at the returning roster's foul shooting stats).

3. He will be the primary three point shooter (look at the returning roster).

4. He will get far more rebounds than many of you expected (if in doubt, look up the number of rebounds 6'4" James Blackmon got, ignore how often some of you dogged him, then note that Langford is even bigger and can jump a lot higher).

5. He will draw more fouls from the opponent than an IU player has drawn in several years, because, well, he's very good and has a multi-faceted game and not even Dennis Rodman or Bill Laimbeer or Lance Stephenson could rattle him.).

6. There will be a game or two next year when the game is in doubt, IU is near panic and chaos but, without Langford even asking for it, the team will rally around Langford who just mechanically/ routinely kicks butt like he's been there before and wonders why everybody else on both teams is so emotional (until it's over and he smiles a little).

7. Purdue and Kentucky will still suck like free spaces on the Bingo card of extreme suckiness.

IU will beat UK in the tourney and UK fans will disappear. Seriously, they have a running thread on Rupp Rafters titled "bump when IU sucks" wall2boogie is in that LONG thread. He might seem peaceful but he's crafty at trolling this site. I'll ask him and other Cat posters what will be the narrative next March when Cal chokes again?

The only thing the all star games showed me was not to expect much out of freshman who are ranked in the 30 and up range. More times than not freshman have growing pains to go through.

The one and done types tend to make an impact immediately.

The good news is we have a lot of experience to surround Romeo. Morgan, Green, Smith, McBob, maybe Davis and Fitzner.

We're not going to need our freshmen (other than Romeo) to come in and contribute right off the bat and that's a good thing.

We're still much improved over last year.

Our biggest loss was Rojo, who was a one dimensional offensive player and great defender with Romeo who is an multi dimensional offensive player.

We lost Newkirk and Hartman who unfortunately gave us little.

We return Morgan, McBob, Green and Smith is back for his sophomore season.

I believe if we're just five point improved our conference record would have been 14-4.

Now if any of the freshman can really contribute...extra bonus!!

He will without a doubt score 20ppg, 1st team all big 10, and will be at worst 3rd team all American. His skill set translates to better production than any other freshmen and will lead all freshmen in scoring. His challenge will be to have a positive effect on the team other than his scoring.

I think he will do very well from the word go. He has been the main object of defense he was a freshman. I doubt this will change nor will he. How good will IU be with him? I would ask JM that cause he will be a terror...

What do people think of his crossover and behind the back dribbling in traffic? He’s going to be playing obviously with bigger and quicker players in the Big Ten. I’m thinking his inside game will be more pick and roll.

Do not forget his million dollar move! I was taught it by Coach Jim Miller during a camp. Those were the days!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT