ADVERTISEMENT

what about Brunk as a player coach

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
he has been around college basketball over 9 years, played for both holtmann and archie could take the best from both systems. seems to be liked by the players they all sit with him during games so wouldn't have to worry about mass transfers. probably has 2 or 3 masters degrees by now so is definitely intelligent enough. Has good size we haven't had a coach in 25 years who could physically intimidate anyone, referees or players, Crean was kind of girlish at times, Archie's physical size isn't going to scare anyone, we need someone who can motivate and kick someone in the ass when needed.

pretty sure Brunk wouldn't ask for $3M/yr as a starting salary.

In all seriousness...IU basketball should not be reduced to a novelty. The program deserves an established coach who can right this ship before it sinks once and for all.
bobby knight was 24 when he took over at army how did that novelty work out, Brunk at 29 has way more experience than that

The more I think about this, the more sense it makes.

Can’t argue that, at age 29, Brunk has a better understanding of today’s players. In that regard, being a somewhat younger man is a definite advantage.

he has been around college basketball over 9 years, played for both holtmann and archie could take the best from both systems. seems to be liked by the players they all sit with him during games so wouldn't have to worry about mass transfers. probably has 2 or 3 masters degrees by now so is definitely intelligent enough. Has good size we haven't had a coach in 25 years who could physically intimidate anyone, referees or players, Crean was kind of girlish at times, Archie's physical size isn't going to scare anyone, we need someone who can motivate and kick someone in the ass when needed.
thanks for the laugh kurt. i needed it.

i absolutely adore what Archie has done to this fanbase - threads about Joey Brunk being a player coach - i seriously can not stop laughing lol

Good post. That’s an outside the box solution. Sad the posters in this thread aren’t as forward thinking. Miller’s salary is $3.3 million per year. He’s won 7 BT games in year 4. Start Brunk at $33,000 per year. See what he can do. Maybe IU revolutionizes college basketball. For his assistant hire a marketing guy from Kelley that can help these kids sell their likeness and monetize their playing time in Bloomington. That should facilitate recruiting. New World Order. Be nice to see IU at the forefront of change.

Again, good post on Brunk.

Ok, I've watched long enough. I'm officially throwing Bill Walton's hat or headband into the candidate list. I doubt we could be worse and the entertainment value would be very high; tie dyed jerseys, Grateful Dead music piped in the entire game, incoherent pressers after the game, maybe an entire team of 6-11 players (just pass the ball up the court) ... the list could go on and on.

Good post. That’s an outside the box solution. Sad the posters in this thread aren’t as forward thinking. Miller’s salary is $3.3 million per year. He’s won 7 BT games in year 4. Start Brunk at $33,000 per year. See what he can do. Maybe IU revolutionizes college basketball. For his assistant hire a marketing guy from Kelley that can help these kids sell their likeness and monetize their playing time in Bloomington. That should facilitate recruiting. New World Order. Be nice to see IU at the forefront of change.

Again, good post on Brunk.
id make him intern the 1st year, use the 33k to send all the players to dick baumgartners shooting school

Reactions: hookyIU1990
id make him intern the 1st year, use the 33k to send all the players to dick baumgartners shooting school
sadly i doubt the administration is as forward thinking as you. that 3,267,000 presents opportunities to do things a different way, a new way. a chance for iu not to be stuck in 1987, but to be a program the entire country envies. the model for the future: iu basketball.

i absolutely adore what Archie has done to this fanbase - threads about Joey Brunk being a player coach - i seriously can not stop laughing lol
While I have gotten some good laughs out of this thread, how badly has IU missed Brunk's presence on the court. Not just his physical presence (we could desperately use another big body) but also his leadership. This team is rudderless from a player leadership standpoint. That doesn't absolve Archie in the slightest, but it has damn sure aggravated the situation. I don't pretend to know the exact problem with the inconsistent effort. I don't think anybody really can who isn't on the court in practice every day. But it is clear to me that there is a serious shortage of willingness to do the hard things that create opportunity for better possessions and turn close games from losses to wins.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
do you realize every opponent we played this year was trying to win also? go through the rosters of available players for each game this year and tell me who had the better players. if anything Archie may have overachieved with this team. with that said hes got to go because he built the roster and once things start going south its almost impossible to recruit

All good options, but I think Keon Brooks is the obvious choice.

7663ccd58e29fda14a73c9875f4ace98.jpg
Stupid%2BPeople.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT