ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the latest with Caleb Jones?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
i thought he came into IU as the offensive lineman with unlimited potential. I’m not on top of everything like many people are on here but I seem to think that he graded out incredibly poorly this past season. What sticks out to me is him giving up two sacks on two consecutive plays early in the season. And I recall CTA talking about him training poorly on his own, not having coaches on top of him every single moment to control his training ethics and weight.

Is he going to be passed over or did somebody light a fire under his ass?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I believe he said the COVID restrictions really hampered his health habits. He gained unnecessary weight and wasn't close to where he expected. Since last season, the facilities have been back open and he shed a lot of weight. I think we see a beast this year.

Last edited:
Caleb is a large man and you can tell that keeping the bad weight off is going to be a life long struggle for him. Those two sacks he gave us against PSU in the 2nd to last drive last year were rough. Unless he really busts his tail, he's going to always need a TE or RB support against speed edge rushers. With that said, unless Haggard (who played well last year) is just lights out or someone else comes out of nowhere, I can't see Caleb being passed over on the depth chart because of his ability to be an absolute road grader. Going back to 2019, how many times did PR rush them to the line, do the quick snap and just roll over the right side of the line behind Caleb & Step for a 1st down or TD?

The bigger question mark for me is Bedford. After a really good true freshman season in relief of Cronk, he seemed to take a step backward last year. They moved him to the right side to protect Penix's blind side, but he just didn't seem nearly as comfortable/effective there. I think he's the one that should be most concerned about getting overtaken on the depth chart.

Going off last year’s tapes, the coaches would have to be blind not to see Haggard was better than Jones at LT, esp in pass pro. Jones, with his size, probably has the higher ceiling, but he came in out of shape and it showed. Here’s hoping he’s ready to go from the first snap this season.

Caleb is a large man and you can tell that keeping the bad weight off is going to be a life long struggle for him. Those two sacks he gave us against PSU in the 2nd to last drive last year were rough. Unless he really busts his tail, he's going to always need a TE or RB support against speed edge rushers. With that said, unless Haggard (who played well last year) is just lights out or someone else comes out of nowhere, I can't see Caleb being passed over on the depth chart because of his ability to be an absolute road grader. Going back to 2019, how many times did PR rush them to the line, do the quick snap and just roll over the right side of the line behind Caleb & Step for a 1st down or TD?

The bigger question mark for me is Bedford. After a really good true freshman season in relief of Cronk, he seemed to take a step backward last year. They moved him to the right side to protect Penix's blind side, but he just didn't seem nearly as comfortable/effective there. I think he's the one that should be most concerned about getting overtaken on the depth chart.
Not sure Caleb, or any other o-lineman for that matter, was a road grader. The running game last year was atrocious and even in 2019 was mediocre. The question for me is larger - can Hiller develop o-linemen? The pass protection last year was very poor as well (although Caleb's was especially bad). I was watching the Michigan game video last night and Penix was great in spite of an o-line that gave him virtually no time. The key to this upcoming season is a MAJOR o-line improvement. The difficulty of the schedule requires improvement or it will be very difficult to match last year. The skill position players on offense can compete with anyone, it is the o-line that holds back the performance and may result in Penix being hurt again.

I see this as a make or break year for Hiller. The o-line shows improvement or I would think it would be time for a change.

It is not easy to go from the R side to L. One year of game experience plus offseason, spring ball, etc should be a big help.

Not sure Caleb, or any other o-lineman for that matter, was a road grader. The running game last year was atrocious and even in 2019 was mediocre. The question for me is larger - can Hiller develop o-linemen? The pass protection last year was very poor as well (although Caleb's was especially bad). I was watching the Michigan game video last night and Penix was great in spite of an o-line that gave him virtually no time. The key to this upcoming season is a MAJOR o-line improvement. The difficulty of the schedule requires improvement or it will be very difficult to match last year. The skill position players on offense can compete with anyone, it is the o-line that holds back the performance and may result in Penix being hurt again.

I see this as a make or break year for Hiller. The o-line shows improvement or I would think it would be time for a change.
I agree about the OL. How much is coaching and how much is the player I do not know.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
Haggard was a nice surprise on the OL. He seemed to only get beat do to lack of strength against the best pass rushers. I expect this year he will gain weight and strength to prepare him for the B1G. The OL should also benefit from Bedford and Benson being back after suffering injuries along with adding Carpenter.

The question about the OL and the run game is why they did so well running the ball in wildcat when the defense knew IU was running the ball. It was so different that the results from the regular offense. You have to think coach Sheridan can see what caused the difference IE hands on the ground, extra blocker, mindset, etc and bring that approach to the regular offense run game. The players showed the ability to block the run game well now it is up to coach to get it done.

I agree about the OL. How much is coaching and how much is the player I do not know.
I don't know either, but I believe position coaches have a big say in who gets recruited at their position of responsibility. So Hiller bears some responsibility for which linemen are in the program as well. I've recently looked at some of the OT film of Teven Jenkins who the Bears drafted as well as analytical stuff on his technique and then looked at Caleb. On pass pro, that requires more natural athleticism, Caleb may not have the athleticism required but technique improvement might help at least a little. He's got the size that ought to translate into great run blocking at the least, and it doesn't. He doesn't pancake anyone, and he doesn't really move anyone much, at least not last season. So my view is Hiller is not coaching to Caleb's obvious advantages (size and run blocking) and maybe isn't even maximizing his potential on pass protection through technique improvement. I hate to specifically point to Caleb though, as the other linemen last year were equally disappointing. Bedford did take a step back when he moved to the right side. The interior linemen offered pretty much nothing other than large bodies in the way. Penix and IU were fortunate he has such a quick release because otherwise the offense would have been pretty bad.

The other point to keep in mind is by last count, the IU roster has 22 players listed as 0-linemen. Five start, probably eight play the majority of the plays. What does the line performance of the starters say about Hiller's ability to manage a position group to competency or better? With 22 players he can't find or coach up five that can perform better than the guys we played last year?

Again, Hiller should be on a contract year, his line performs better or he goes.

I don't know either, but I believe position coaches have a big say in who gets recruited at their position of responsibility. So Hiller bears some responsibility for which linemen are in the program as well. I've recently looked at some of the OT film of Teven Jenkins who the Bears drafted as well as analytical stuff on his technique and then looked at Caleb. On pass pro, that requires more natural athleticism, Caleb may not have the athleticism required but technique improvement might help at least a little. He's got the size that ought to translate into great run blocking at the least, and it doesn't. He doesn't pancake anyone, and he doesn't really move anyone much, at least not last season. So my view is Hiller is not coaching to Caleb's obvious advantages (size and run blocking) and maybe isn't even maximizing his potential on pass protection through technique improvement. I hate to specifically point to Caleb though, as the other linemen last year were equally disappointing. Bedford did take a step back when he moved to the right side. The interior linemen offered pretty much nothing other than large bodies in the way. Penix and IU were fortunate he has such a quick release because otherwise the offense would have been pretty bad.

The other point to keep in mind is by last count, the IU roster has 22 players listed as 0-linemen. Five start, probably eight play the majority of the plays. What does the line performance of the starters say about Hiller's ability to manage a position group to competency or better? With 22 players he can't find or coach up five that can perform better than the guys we played last year?

Again, Hiller should be on a contract year, his line performs better or he goes.
Good post.

I have a couple observations about the OL in general, take them for what they're worth.

1) I have no clue what last year's run game problem was, but Stevie's YPC was down a full yard from like 4.7 the prior year to 3.6 in '21. I think he gained something like 900 yards on the year (*edit to clarify that I'm talking about '20 when he gained 900 or so) too, and that was with being hurt for at least the OOB & Gator Bowl, maybe went out early the game before the OOB too?. To the extent it's a scheme issue, they need to get that fixed right quick.

2) As cheesy/cliche as it sounds, I think the OL is missing "attitude." I'll admit I'm a Stepaniak fan-boy, but he was just a rough son of a gun out there. Like you can tell the guys who have that nasty streak. I don't think the OL has that, or at least they didn't show it last season. Before Step, you had a big ol' raw boned guy like Wes Martin at the RT position. I hope one or more of them finds "it" this summer and helps rise a tide & lift the rest of the ships, so to speak.

Last edited:
If Caleb trims down to 340lbs, he will have a good year. He was also hurt by the move to LT. He clearly prefers and performs better at RT.

Overall, I expect big things out of this year's line. The transfer from UM should be a great addition to the performance of that group. The running game certainly needs to majorly improve, no question about it.

The addition of Deland, having a more typical spring/fall camp and more experience, will lead to a better performance from this crew.

I understand this is another level. But I sure would like to see what he could do if given a chance.
I love PR, I just can't see his ceiling being higher than a backup in the NFL. Even just the narrowness of the hash marks will completely take away the out-route. He just doesn't have the arm strength to get it there without NFL corners jumping on it. It took a long time for those outs & bubble screens to get there for him in college.

Maybe his best chance to actually play in the NFL is being like a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer type in the day. i.e., a game manager on a team relying on defense and run game. Just not (m)any of those around any more.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT