ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the appeal of living in ATL?

Road trips were always a matter of speed before I had kids. Me and a buddy once broke the mapquest time by an hour from Indy to Minny. Stopped 1 time for fuel/pee/food at a Loves in Wisconsin. All 3 birds with 1 tiny stone.
We also made a world record dash from Indy to KC for a Royals game in his Saab 92X. We burned up America in that car during our college years.

Reactions: kkott
Road trips were always a matter of speed before I had kids. Me and a buddy once broke the mapquest time by an hour from Indy to Minny. Stopped 1 time for fuel/pee/food at a Loves in Wisconsin. All 3 birds with 1 tiny stone.
We also made a world record dash from Indy to KC for a Royals game in his Saab 92X. We burned up America in that car during our college years.
Kids are a different animal. My 5 yr old took a dump at a rest stop in NC. My wife handled it. I only know because my 8 yr old ran out of the bathroom screaming, he’s pooping dad!!

The new I69 to Evansville route is consistently quicker to nashville, except on the odd day where there is some accident along the way.

I hear ya . . . it's a scary drive when there's traffic. And there's traffic most of the time . . .

. . . BTW, for southwestern Indiana - and I have no idea where you live, just providing data - I-24 to I-69 is pretty good, only there aren't many gas stations along I-69 in southwestern Indiana yet.
I never did find a good North-South route. Heading south, I crossed the mountains east of Knoxville, because I wanted to travel down the coast. The mountains were beautiful, but, ugh, I still can't get the smell of Savannah out of my nose. Plus, just as the headache was wearing off, I was in Jacksonville, which is hell on earth.

Heading north, I went around Atlanta. Never, ever again. Felt like three hours going around that city.

You sound like my dad on long trips. We weren’t allowed to have anything to drink until close to stopping time. We coined our infamous Let Us Pee ( tune of Let It Be) during one of our many Florida trips. He kept logs of our travels times and has and had us on a timer when we stopped. He was efficient though. And now I find myself impatient for anyone who wants a longer stop.
Your car tune reminds me when I was in HS a buddy was way ahead of the fantasy sports thing and he set up a league where we created complete fantasy rosters and ranked our players according to who our starts were. I don't remember many of my players for the infamous Milwaukee Talkies, but I did have Jimmy U Money, and my best player and MVP was Al U Needisluv.

You sound like my dad on long trips. We weren’t allowed to have anything to drink until close to stopping time. We coined our infamous Let Us Pee ( tune of Let It Be) during one of our many Florida trips. He kept logs of our travels times and has and had us on a timer when we stopped. He was efficient though. And now I find myself impatient for anyone who wants a longer stop.
I’m sure you guys packed sandwiches too.

What about "I've got to go pee" to the tune of "I've gotta be me"?

Regarding the logs . . . I kept time and gas mileage on our trips for years. Never had a timer on stops though . . . the timer was on how long we could stay in the car.

When he was about 6, SopeJr#2 could drink a 24oz. Gatorade in about 30 seconds, and just after he got settled in the car after a stop he'd have to go pee. Hell, he'd complain if we told him to hold it until the next exit . . . not the next exit from where we were, the next exit from where he drank the Gatorade.

I never did find a good North-South route. Heading south, I crossed the mountains east of Knoxville, because I wanted to travel down the coast. The mountains were beautiful, but, ugh, I still can't get the smell of Savannah out of my nose. Plus, just as the headache was wearing off, I was in Jacksonville, which is hell on earth.

Heading north, I went around Atlanta. Never, ever again. Felt like three hours going around that city.
We're gonna have to nickname you "I-285", after Pascual Perez.

I've met some really nice people from Jax who love and are proud of their City, and when they start talking about how great it is... well, how do you tell someone politely it's an armpit? I remember growing up in Indy and how I hated Vitas Geralitis, when he called Indy the armpit of America. Guess he'd never been to Jax... or Fayetteville NC, Orangeburg, SC... Florence, Jax NC... Columbia SC...

Last edited:
Reactions: Warison
This is the most awesome dad thing I’ve ever heard of.
Haha he was pretty hilarious. I got great joy in being his log in girl because I didn’t sleep in the car. He charted every hour, every gas and food stop. But mostly ate in the car. He kept track of mileage, time, and amount spent. He’d try different routes so he could compare year after year the best way. He probably wouldn’t have trusted gps. Oh and if we had another family with us, we used walky talkies. The good old days of travel…

I've met some really nice people from Jax who love and are proud of their City, and when they start talking about how great it is... well, how do you tell someone politely it's an armpit? I remember growing up in Indy and how I hated Vitas Geralitis, when he called Indy the armpit of America. Guess he'd never been to Jax... or Fayetteville NC, Orangeburg, SC... Florence, Jax NC... Columbia...
There was a wreck on 95, so we opted to drive through Orangeburg SC. It was eye opening to say the least. The boys were saying they were hungry. Um... we aint stopping here. We drove by a small convenient store that looked like Leatherface lived there. And it was open for business. Not only could I not believe the building was still standing, but the fact that it was open was alarming.

Reactions: kkott
Haha he was pretty hilarious. I got great joy in being his log in girl because I didn’t sleep in the car. He charted every hour, every gas and food stop. But mostly ate in the car. He kept track of mileage, time, and amount spent. He’d try different routes so he could compare year after year the best way. He probably wouldn’t have trusted gps. Oh and if we had another family with us, we used walky talkies. The good old days of travel…
I will never travel the same way again. Thank you.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
There was a wreck on 95, so we opted to drive through Orangeburg SC. It was eye opening to say the least. The boys were saying they were hungry. Um... we aint stopping here. We drove by a small convenient store that looked like Leatherface lived there. And it was open for business. Not only could I not believe the building was still standing, but the fact that it was open was alarming.
I have taken some backroads shortcuts through Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas. Scary, scary stuff

There are a lot of Southern stereotypes that aren't true (some of the shrewdest people I've met had the slowest southern drawls... and I suspect laid it on thicker), but there are things down here that you really only see in the South. Now that I'm in SC, see it even moreso. When someone asks if they can do that, or if something's legal, my stock answer is "it's SC, nobody cares!" I think of most minor laws as suggestions.

I’m sure you guys packed sandwiches too.
Oh you know it. We weren’t allowed to start eating until we were out of town. He did very occasionally allow a stop, if my mom insisted, usually at a Big Boy. But he always told the waitress we were in a hurry and were in and out in about 30.

Oh you know it. We weren’t allowed to start eating until we were out of town. He did very occasionally allow a stop, if my mom insisted, usually at a Big Boy. But he always told the waitress we were in a hurry and were in and out in about 30.
That's the way we traveled as kids too. Mom would pack lunch. We ate breakfast at oh dark thirty, got in the car and didn't stop until we needed gas. That' s when everyone peed and your butt better be back in the car before the gas was paid for. We ate lunch on the go and then ate dinner somewhere after we made it to wherever Dad decided was enough for the day. Breakfast the next morning was cereal and the milk brought in the cooler. We were usually at our destination by mid-day. I don't think we ever went anywhere that required a second full day on the road.

Reactions: kkott and zeke4ahs
It was worse in Mississippi than what I have seen in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana, for sure.
If you are ever at the extreme tip of Illinois, drive through Cairo. It is located at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. A town with a rich but troubled history. Several good You Tube videos covering the deep poverty.

ADVERTISEMENT