ADVERTISEMENT

We've hired Charlton Warren from UGA

Go Hoosiers!

That's the only thing I find unusual about this hire but I guess CTA can coach him as to exactly the way he wants him to coach them... Makes sense to me...

Having "great recruiter" as the priority in the hire is near genius in its simplicity.... Pretty much Common Sense (that many don't seem to possess any more...); you can't coach em if you don't have em on campus...
You cant be a successful head coach if you are also coaching the defense. Tom Allen said that. So.. yeah.. common sense, right?

Yeah, I hate averaging the fourth most points in the league last year and the fifth most passing yards as a team.

Sheridan really sucked.
You had a defense that almost im pretty sure led the nation in turnover avg per game.
I wanted Clayton White. Idk Warren, but I trust CTA
That dude certainly has a much much stronger resume from a coaching perspective.

You cant be a successful head coach if you are also coaching the defense. Tom Allen said that. So.. yeah.. common sense, right?

Allen has 7 months to "coach him up" on how he wants things done out of our base Defense along with the techniques he wants to have him use at the LB positions... He'll be there to guide him, just like he was for Wommack the past two seasons...

This may very well turn out to be the best of all worlds in that TA can mold his DC & LB's Coach exactly in his own image... This, along with bringing in the best recruiter available, seems like Common Sense to me...

Yeah, I hate averaging the fourth most points in the league last year and the fifth most passing yards as a team.

Sheridan really sucked.

We averaged 80 yards less a game with the same guys a year older and Penix back. Yeah Sheridan is wonderful.

They passed on Mike Tressel? Are you kidding me? In 2018 he had the #1 rushing defense and #8 scoring defense in the country.

We averaged 80 yards less a game with the same guys a year older and Penix back. Yeah Sheridan is wonderful.
Minus two of our top three receivers from the year before and minus three offensive linemen. Again replaced UConn, Eastern Illinois and Ball State with Wisconsin. You tell me who you would have rather played. Also learn a new system with irregular preseason and no summer or seven on seven. I don’t think you grasp the importance of those things are. Trying to do install by zoom meeting. Not really the same as 7 on 7. I was at a new program this year and trying to play catch up and it just never happened can’t imagine what trying to install a college offense must have been like.

Here is a blurb to fire up IU faithful from IndyStar article today:

Warren has also impressed as a recruiter. He was one of the main reasons Georgia landed a 2020 five-star prospect, Arizona cornerback Kelee Ringo, who was considered the No. 4 player in that class. Warren has also helped Georgia secure five four-star prospects in two years.

I’ll take some of that at IU please!

This looks to me to be a great hire. We don't need a DC with coordinator experience. Tom Allen has heavy input obviously and allows us to to hire a different skill set. This guy is an elite recruiter ranking in the top 40 in the country in each of the last three years. He's coached under terrific defensive coordinators. You don't get much better than Florida's coordinator and Kirby Smart at Georgia. He's risen rapidly up the ranks get promoted to bigger schools at each stop and his pass defenses have been outstanding at every stop. I really like this hire. I am lot less happy with our offensive staff. I would not be surprised to see Allen hire a running backs coach who becomes Co-Coordinator and has a greater say in the offense. Sheridan is awfully green and year 1 did not go so well.

I think it's a bad hire.

This guy does have DC experience, and the results weren't good. In 2012 & 2013 his defenses were among the worst in D1....look at the AF defensive stats for those years. Really, really bad.

He has no Indiana or midwest connections, and he's moved around a lot........so, if he IS successful, he'll be out of here for an SEC coordinator job asap.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I think it's a bad hire.

This guy does have DC experience, and the results weren't good. In 2012 & 2013 his defenses were among the worst in D1....look at the AF defensive stats for those years. Really, really bad.

He has no Indiana or midwest connections, and he's moved around a lot........so, if he IS successful, he'll be out of here for an SEC coordinator job asap.

We could have had Mike Tressel who is proven, and doesn’t have Head Coaching desires. Also he’s a Big Ten guy.

I think it's a bad hire.

Keep your eye on the Ball... 😳If he leaves that quickly it'll mean that he's considered a key man who has helped us win a Big Ten Championship and a New Years 6 Bowl game... I think we'll all find a way to somehow deal with such a dismal turn of events...🤔

Things turned out okay when our OC left for Fresno after one year... I'm more than happy to roll the dice and take our chances on a Tom Allen vetted hire... 😉😎

Last edited:
Keep your eye on the Ball... 😳If he leaves that quickly it'll mean that he's considered a key man who has helped us win a Big Ten Championship and a New Years 6 Bowl game... I think we'll all find a way to somehow deal with such a dismal turn of events...🤔

Things turned out okay when our OC left for Fresno after one year... I'm more thanhappy to roll the dice and take our chances on a Tom Allen vetted hire... 😉😎

Tom Allen should have called Troy Calhoun and asked him about 2012 and 2013 when they couldn’t stop a nosebleed.

Strong recruiter is a top priority. This coming year is so important in bringing in top talent into an up and coming program. Must take full advantage of that this year to keep the momentum.
I agree. Does he have a geographic area as a strength? He has a lot of SEC experience (TN, Ga, Fla)

Things turned out okay when our OC left for Fresno after one year... I'm more thanhappy to roll the dice and take our chances on a Tom Allen vetted hire... 😉😎

If he's successful, he'll leave in 1-2 years for an SEC job.

If he's unsuccessful, we'll wish he would have left in 1-2 years. Take a look at the 2012 & 2013 AF defensive results.

As for the OC change, we went from 15th nationally(302.4) to 43rd(250.9) in passing offense, from 41st nationally in TO(432.8) to 94th(359.5), and from 42nd in scoring(31.8) to 59th(28.8). That change cost us a really bad bowl loss, 5-6 places in the final polls, and probably some recruits.

I get the need for a recruiter, but this looks like a panic hire in that respect. Look at teams like Iowa & Wisconsin....they hire guys that are there for the long-term. This looks like a short-term hire.

Here is what happens to good programs:
Alabama Football: 11 assistants poached from staff so far

Coaches are always trying to move up, it’s the nature of the business. It happens to good programs, and it will happen at IU as we keep performing well.

Reactions: jsglenn4 and 76-1
I agree with that. The difference is that Wommack had a really young defense in his first year, and Sheridan inherited an experienced offense that was 25th in the previous year and ended up 75th. Maybe he ends up being great, but the first year certainly did not give a great vibe. I think hiring an experienced running backs coach with some experience in run game coordination would be great. I'd love to see them go after somebody like Buffalo's offensive coordinator and make him a co-coordinator. He has devised some prolific rushing attacks and he probably makes 250k a year.
Money will be a big deal to candidates. Anyone know what we pay?

If he's successful, he'll leave in 1-2 years for an SEC job.

If he's unsuccessful, we'll wish he would have left in 1-2 years. Take a look at the 2012 & 2013 AF defensive results.

As for the OC change, we went from 15th nationally(302.4) to 43rd(250.9) in passing offense, from 41st nationally in TO(432.8) to 94th(359.5), and from 42nd in scoring(31.8) to 59th(28.8). That change cost us a really bad bowl loss, 5-6 places in the final polls, and probably some recruits.

I get the need for a recruiter, but this looks like a panic hire in that respect. Look at teams like Iowa & Wisconsin....they hire guys that are there for the long-term. This looks like a short-term hire.

We don't lose the bowl if Penix plays. To lay the blame solely on Sheridan for that loss is not right.

And to say the bowl loss cost us some recruits.... what are you talking about? We have picked up a couple transfers since then and are looking good with some pretty good 2022 kids.

We aren't gonna lose recruits based on a bowl loss where we lost by 5.

Reactions: 76-1 and JohnsyRick
True, but he had been set up to succeed. He had been on the defensive staff since 2008(?). In 2012 & '13 he was sole DC and it didn't end well.
And since he left AFA he has worked with some outstanding defensive coordinators. Maybe by accident he may have learned some things along the way. He must have something that CTA liked to have hired him. I trust CTA.

No he wasn't. He had a co- defensive coordinator with him those years.

Looks like they always had co-coordinator tags, but he was the primary coordinator in 2012 & 2013.

I don't do links, but see "Source: Air Force defensive coordinator Charlton Warren leaves for Nebraska", dated 1/16/14---"Warren...has spent the past two seasons as the defensive coordinator". He will coach the defensive secondary...a position he held with Air Force from 2008-11, when he was also the recruiting coordinator".

The story goes on to say he left AF in light of the hiring of Brian Knorr (later IU DC)---"There was widespread speculation that the recent hiring of Knorr...would mean a demotion for Warren...."

See also "Air Force Football Defense Under New Ownership: Charton Warren New Coordinator But Familiar Face", dated 8/30/12---"Calhoun called again this year, asking Charlton to take over as defensive coordinator"....."Calhoun chose Warren to guide Air Force's defense after Matt Wallerstedt moved to Texas A&M".

The 2010 AF D gave up 21.1 ppg. That went to 28.4 in '11, 29.0 in '12, and 40.0 in '13. The 2013 AF D gave up 490.4 total ypg, compared to 409.4 in '12, 386.5 in '11, and 349.3 in '10. The '13 AF D was 118/125 teams in the NCAA in scoring D.

What makes you think he didn't?
Yeah sure seems like a knee jerk hire by CTA. He just never seems to do due diligence. As far as if he leaves in a year or two I am ok because chances are we had continued success. I like the approach of hiring guys with big ambition it means they are probably going to work harder.

Yeah sure seems like a knee jerk hire by CTA. He just never seems to do due diligence. As far as if he leaves in a year or two I am ok because chances are we had continued success. I like the approach of hiring guys with big ambition it means they are probably going to work harder.

It's a recruiting hire, which is all well and good. But at some point you need good coaches as coordinators.

Reactions: BayernFan
Allen has 7 months to "coach him up" on how he wants things done out of our base Defense along with the techniques he wants to have him use at the LB positions... He'll be there to guide him, just like he was for Wommack the past two seasons...

This may very well turn out to be the best of all worlds in that TA can mold his DC & LB's Coach exactly in his own image... This, along with bringing in the best recruiter available, seems like Common Sense to me...

Do you understand how the logic you used contradicts your main reason for this hire? If talent doesnt matter, and you can just "coach them up", then why hire someone whose main skillset is recruiting?

Reactions: limestonecowboy
What makes you think he didn't?

Well......I sure hope he did.

in 2013, AF D was 118th overall in scoring D, giving up 40/game. They were 2-10 overall. In 2014, they were 34th in scoring D, at 24.2/game. They were 10-3, with the same head coach. Yikes.

It's a recruiting hire, which is all well and good. But at some point you need good coaches as coordinators.

My concern is involves our good coaches. Why would they stay and not just take a parallel position, like Hart did, at a bigger school if you know upward mobility is basically a no go moving forward? This dude has a terrible resume outside of recruiting. I did a search and every article I read on him only ever mentioned that he was wanted for his recruiting ability. No once was his coaching or leadership mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT