ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia Coach Bob huggins

If you distribute the money evenly, the potential for litigation is minimal. And which school is going to die on Mount Litigation when the entire intent of this is to bring back the sport after a national crisis, as well as restore some degree of financial health to athletic departments? The odds of this generating litigation are extremely low. I think saying “no” tends to be the reaction of many, simply because that’s their programming.

Maybe. But not necessarily. Because then you're faced with some 300 schools getting money for something they had no part in -- which necessarily means that the 64 who did play had their shares diluted.

I think it's fine to have a tournament where X number of teams get invited and participate (and get paid accordingly). They do that all the time, after all. That's nothing new. I just think it needs to be disconnected from this past season.

Since we’re thinking big, which I think is cool...

An all D1 schools tournament. Similar to the IHSAA tournaments of old.

64 Sectionals
-5 to 6 teams per sectional
-use last years end of season NET rankings
-top 64 NET rankings host sectionals

64 winners move on to 16 regional sites
-sites predetermined
-seeds redone after sectionals

16 regional winners advance to 4 Super Regionals similar to baseball
-sites predetermined
-seeds redone after sectionals

4 Super Regionals advance to Preseason Nationals
-seeds redone

As teams lose they work on filling their schedules with other losing teams.

Logistically very tough. But would be very cool.

Hopefully sports are coming back by June. I wish they’d just play it without fans starting in July or August. Finish late August and be off until November for next season.

But none of this is going to happen so really doesn’t matter.

I think there’s a high likelihood the college basketball next year, if it happens, will only be played in the spring semester. If that’s the case we’re talking about an abbreviated schedule of perhaps 15 games. Give up the ghost. The 2020 season is over. It will be marked with an asterisk like the baseball season but never resumed back in the 80s. Over time it will be forgotten.
What won't be?
The season lost will be forgotten. See post about 2 or 3 or so.

ADVERTISEMENT