ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia Coach Bob huggins

Coopster

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
Chandler, Az
Suggests:

So, why don’t we start the season off with the NCAA Tournament? (The NCAA) can get its money and distribute it to the schools. It solves a lot of problems. … They know who was in it and who was going to play who. They know where we were going to play. What, it’s going to take three weekends? Big deal. Really, kids aren’t going to miss class that much. You’re going to basically play on the weekends.

What say you basketball gurus of his idea? Let's toss this around and see what everyone's thoughts are.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I think there’s a high likelihood the college basketball next year, if it happens, will only be played in the spring semester. If that’s the case we’re talking about an abbreviated schedule of perhaps 15 games. Give up the ghost. The 2020 season is over. It will be marked with an asterisk like the baseball season but never resumed back in the 80s. Over time it will be forgotten.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Suggests:

So, why don’t we start the season off with the NCAA Tournament? (The NCAA) can get its money and distribute it to the schools. It solves a lot of problems. … They know who was in it and who was going to play who. They know where we were going to play. What, it’s going to take three weekends? Big deal. Really, kids aren’t going to miss class that much. You’re going to basically play on the weekends.

What say you basketball gurus of his idea? Let's toss this around and see what everyone's thoughts are.
With or without fans?
Money will make the decision. How do the schools and the ncaa profit?

Suggests:

With this past year’s rosters or with the coming year’s rosters?

The former seems entirely unworkable and the latter seems...well, wrong. Of course, his intention here is all about restoring the lost funds. And I get that. But some of the kids who get to play in it would’ve had nothing to do with earning their way in...same for some of the kids who don’t get to.

But, then, this is an unprecedented situation.

why not start with the resumption of conference tourneys so that those on or near the bubble can play their way into the big dance?

With this past year’s rosters or with the coming year’s rosters?

The former seems entirely unworkable and the latter seems...well, wrong. Of course, his intention here is all about restoring the lost funds. And I get that. But some of the kids who get to play in it would’ve had nothing to do with earning their way in...same for some of the kids who don’t get to.

But, then, this is an unprecedented situation.
It’s an unconventional “solution” for an unprecedented situation. Just like any other preseason tournament, I’m not sure “earning their way in” will be relevant to what BH has suggested. Doubt it will,happen but I applaud him for coming up with a provocative idea, and hope others will chime in with creative proposals to kick start the new season.

Will never happen.

Schools won't go for it simply because they won't want to pay the clauses in coaches contracts that pay the coaches for making the tournament.

Can you imagine if they had to pay it twice in a season? Again, not gonna happen.

If it were to happen it would be meaningless. And likely played in empty gyms. Yes it would be fun to watch college ball, but how do you determine who gets into the tourney at the start of the season? Based on this past season's results? Hell those teams don't exist anymore. Some players will be professionals by then. Others will graduate. Others will transfer. Doesn't make any sense.

I'm not confident at all that school will start in August, and if so, it will have massive restrictions. It will be a while before teams play in front of packed stadiums/arenas. I'll put a c-note down now that events like Hoosier Hysteria 2020 are already dead on arrival. We're not getting back to 'norms' for a long time, unfortunately.

This next school year is hitting home for me personally. Our oldest has been attending JUCO up here in N IL but was admitted to IU (Kelly) to begin in the fall. But now everything on campus appears to be shut down through July (at least), so lots of questions as to what is going to happen come Aug 1.

Last edited:
Will never happen.

Schools won't go for it simply because they won't want to pay the clauses in coaches contracts that pay the coaches for making the tournament.

Can you imagine if they had to pay it twice in a season? Again, not gonna happen.
I highly doubt you’d see coaches or AD’s derail it for that reason. Plenty of practical impediments, but that would never be one.

I think there’s a high likelihood the college basketball next year, if it happens, will only be played in the spring semester. If that’s the case we’re talking about an abbreviated schedule of perhaps 15 games. Give up the ghost. The 2020 season is over. It will be marked with an asterisk like the baseball season but never resumed back in the 80s. Over time it will be forgotten.
was baseball season 1995. Only reason I remember is Greg Maddux is one of my fav pitchers and he was 19-2 with an era under 1.70 when the strike shut down the season. Was having one of the best seasons- for a pitcher- in history.

I highly doubt you’d see coaches or AD’s derail it for that reason. Plenty of practical impediments, but that would never be one.

You would absolutely have coaches and their agents want that money.

Not saying every coach would, but there would absolutely be coaches out there that would want it, and would have a right to it, per there contract if a tournament was held.

To think otherwise is naive.

Not saying every coach would, but there would absolutely be coaches out there that would want it, and would have a right to it, per there contract if a tournament was held.

They might want it, but there’s a high likelihood that their demands for it would become public. When that happens, they’ll be pariahs in the eyes of many, shameless and selfish profiteers in a time of national crisis. You’re being naive if you think they’d press an issue like this. Zero chance that would be an impediment to this. Less than zero.

If it were to happen it would be meaningless. And likely played in empty gyms. Yes it would be fun to watch college ball, but how do you determine who gets into the tourney at the start of the season? Based on this past season's results? Hell those teams don't exist anymore. Some players will be professionals by then. Others will graduate. Others will transfer. Doesn't make any sense.

I'm not confident at all that school will start in August, and if so, it will have massive restrictions. It will be a while before teams play in front of packed stadiums/arenas. I'll put a c-note down now that events like Hoosier Hysteria 2020 are already dead on arrival. We're not getting back to 'norms' for a long time, unfortunately.

This next school year is hitting home for me personally. Our oldest has been attending JUCO up here in N IL but was admitted to IU (Kelly) to begin in the fall. But now everything on campus appears to be shut down through July (at least), so lots of questions as to what is going to happen come Aug 1.

Yeah, my daughter has had a long and challenging route through college and is graduating this Spring. It stinks for her and others that they don't get to attend graduation ceremonies, but we're trying to normalize it as much as possible. My wife and I divorced during that time and she's staying with my ex, but sent me a pic of her in her graduation robe and it brought a tear to my eye. Proud of her and just have to make the effort to find other ways to express it.

Yeah, my daughter has had a long and challenging route through college and is graduating this Spring. It stinks for her and others that they don't get to attend graduation ceremonies, but we're trying to normalize it as much as possible. My wife and I divorced during that time and she's staying with my ex, but sent me a pic of her in her graduation robe and it brought a tear to my eye. Proud of her and just have to make the effort to find other ways to express it.
sorry to hear about the divorce. No fun at all. Congrats though to your daugter!

Our middle son is a HS senior and he's high functioning autistic. Really a struggle for him in school but he fought through it and we were so looking forward to the formal graduation ceremony next month and throwing a big party for him. All that is scrapped now.

Last edited:
They might want it, but there’s a high likelihood that their demands for it would become public. When that happens, they’ll be pariahs in the eyes of many, shameless and selfish profiteers in a time of national crisis. You’re being naive if you think they’d press an issue like this. Zero chance that would be an impediment to this. Less than zero.

That's not a avenue that Athletic directors are going to want to go down. They're just not.

The brackets weren't released for a couple reasons. 1- from my understanding, the committee never actually met formally. 2- you release the brackets, coaches get bonuses for making the tournament, whether they play or not.

Again, it's in their contract so they would be entitled to it. There would be a few coaches that would want that bonus.

It’s an unconventional “solution” for an unprecedented situation. Just like any other preseason tournament, I’m not sure “earning their way in” will be relevant to what BH has suggested. Doubt it will,happen but I applaud him for coming up with a provocative idea, and hope others will chime in with creative proposals to kick start the new season.

The more I think about it, the less I like this idea.

I'm not opposed to innovative ways to kickstart the first season after the abbreviated one. But any game or tournament played in the 20-21 season should bear no relationship, formally or informally, to the 19-20 season.

I'm sure that the winner of Huggins' tournament wouldn't officially be crowned the 2019-2020 National Champions. But that wouldn't stop fans and programs from effectively claiming it -- despite the fact that their different team beat everybody else's different teams.

That's not a avenue that Athletic directors are going to want to go down. They're just not.

The brackets weren't released for a couple reasons. 1- from my understanding, the committee never actually met formally. 2- you release the brackets, coaches get bonuses for making the tournament, whether they play or not.

Again, it's in their contract so they would be entitled to it. There would be a few coaches that would want that bonus.
I don't see how brackets could have ever been released since many of the conf tourneys were just getting started. There were many auto bids that were not finalized. You have to let the conf tourney (and the upsets) play out .

I'll stand by my previous comment- this idea is not legit to me. Next year's teams will not be this year's teams.

I don't know what would come of it, but I agree with you -- there would absolutely be coaches and/or agents who would be pressing this.

Their basic argument would be that the NCAA's member institutions would be restoring the funds of the tournament without the burden of compensating the coaches. The schools get at least some of the financial benefits of having the tournament, the coaches don't.

That said, I don't think this is the best argument against doing this.

Again, they might want it, but they’d never press that. None of them are that stupid, especially in this time of crisis. There might be a number of reasons a preseason tournament wouldn’t happen, but what you’ve suggested isn’t one of them.

I don't see how brackets could have ever been released since many of the conf tourneys were just getting started. There were many auto bids that were not finalized. You have to let the conf tourney (and the upsets) play out .

I'll stand by my previous comment- this idea is not legit to me. Next year's teams will not be this year's teams.

I think it's a cool concept, but don't think the NCAA could pull it together and make it feasible. Firstly, it would not replace the tourney, as the teams are kaput and we never could know the final field. Still, if they'd acknowledge that, but put a 64 team bracket together, higher seeds get home games, unless both teams mutually agree and carry it that way to a Final 4/8 that's then played in a marquee locale (MSG or wherever the F4 was to be this year, which I like better) I think it would be cool. I just don't think the NCAA is capable of pulling that all together with all the questions in the air. Cool idea on paper, but just not feasible to pull off I think.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I think it's a cool concept, but don't think the NCAA could pull it together and make it feasible. Firstly, it would not replace the tourney, as the teams are kaput and we never could know the final field. Still, if they'd acknowledge that, but put a 64 team bracket together, higher seeds get home games, unless both teams mutually agree and carry it that way to a Final 4/8 that's then played in a marquee locale (MSG or wherever the F4 was to be this year, which I like better) I think it would be cool. I just don't think the NCAA is capable of pulling that all together with all the questions in the air. Cool idea on paper, but just not feasible to pull off I think.
agreed, it would be a fun way to start next season, but there's no way you could call the winner the 2020 NCAA champion. At this point I'm more than happy to see IU back on the court in November beating up on cupcakes again.

agreed, it would be a fun way to start next season, but there's no way you could call the winner the 2020 NCAA champion. At this point I'm more than happy to see IU back on the court in November beating up on cupcakes again.
It could simply be crowning the champion of the preseason tournament. Not sure those issues should be an impediment.

....they’d never press that.

....There might be a number of reasons a preseason tournament wouldn’t happen, but what you’ve suggested isn’t one of them.

These are two different things.

I think some coaches (or at least their agents) would press it. But I agree that this isn't a reason why the tournament wouldn't happen. It's not even a great argument against it.

The argument against it is that we're talking about 64 teams that didn't qualify for the 2019-2020 tournament being invited to a proxy "what if?" tournament.

These are two different things.

I think some coaches (or at least their agents) would press it. But I agree that this isn't a reason why the tournament wouldn't happen. It's not even a great argument against it.

The argument against it is that we're talking about 64 teams that didn't qualify for the 2019-2020 tournament being invited to a proxy "what if?" tournament.
It’s an imperfect solution to an impossible situation, that’s for sure, but I don’t know why that would be disqualifying. This is college basketball, not some life or death endeavor. It would be a fun way to kick off a season after a disappointing conclusion to the prior one. Instead of a national tournament, maybe you play regional or conference tournaments and include all D1 schools. This would be about trying to restore some positivity after a period of great difficulty, though I have little doubt that there will be plenty of people who wouldn’t be able to support it because of fairness or logistical issues.

It’s an imperfect solution to an impossible situation, that’s for sure, but I don’t know why that would be disqualifying. This is college basketball, not some life or death endeavor. It would be a fun way to kick off a season after a disappointing conclusion to the prior one. Instead of a national tournament, maybe you play regional or conference tournaments and include all D1 schools. This would be about trying to restore some positivity after a period of great difficulty, though I have little doubt that there will be plenty of people who wouldn’t be able to support it because of fairness or logistical issues.

I don't have a problem with a big multi-team pre-season tournament. I just don't like the idea of it bearing any relation -- stated or unstated, formal or informal -- to this past season's post-season tournament.

In many minds, it would end up basically becoming like the Masters played in November -- which is to say...the 2020 Masters, merely played on a different date -- even if the NCAA made clear that it actually wasn't.

I mean....who gets in and doesn't get in? And based on what criteria? The way their school's previous year's team played? Those were different teams. The "bubble" teams that get left out would gripe about it, and rightly so.

The Substitute Dance. NOT substitutes, or substitutes', substitute. It would be fun and generate a lot of TV money which could be distributed among all the sports departments.

I don't have a problem with a big multi-team pre-season tournament. I just don't like the idea of it bearing any relation -- stated or unstated, formal or informal -- to this past season's post-season tournament.

In many minds, it would end up basically becoming like the Masters played in November -- which is to say...the 2020 Masters, merely played on a different date -- even if the NCAA made clear that it actually wasn't.

I mean....who gets in and doesn't get in? And based on what criteria? The way their school's previous year's team played? Those were different teams. The "bubble" teams that get left out would gripe about it, and rightly so.
The NCAA owns the NIT. They could expand the NIT Season Tip-Off to 64 teams and invite the top 64 teams at the end of last season to play. Seed them 1 - 64.

The NCAA owns the NIT. They could expand the NIT Season Tip-Off to 64 teams and invite the top 64 teams at the end of last season to play. Seed them 1 - 64.

OK, maybe. I don't know.

But if I'm a school like Liberty, who ended last season with a 30-4 record, won the A-Sun conference tournament, and ended up 67th in the NET, I'm not going to be very happy about being left out -- being that this looks like a quasi-NCAA tournament that I'd have qualified for (and been paid for) under the conditions established for the actual NCAA tournament. Given that they lost out on the revenue they'd have earned from their automatic bid and lose out again this time because they weren't top 64 in the NET, they might be tempted to file suit.

I just think you have to leave last season out of it. Those teams were different teams. I'm sure there isn't a single team in Division I that will have the exact same roster in November that they had in March. And that matters here more than merely principle, I think.

The difference with the Masters is that it would still be the same players, same venue, just a different date in the same season. With the NCAA, it would not be the same teams with the same roster. In some cases, not even the same head coaches.

The difference with the Masters is that it would still be the same players, same venue, just a different date in the same season. With the NCAA, it would not be the same teams with the same roster. In some cases, not even the same head coaches.

Well that's my point. What Augusta National is doing with the Masters is fine. In that case, it really is just a change of date (and playing conditions, etc.). Nothing else really changes.

In the case of the NCAA tournament, you're talking about all different rosters.

Again, I don't have a problem with a big early season tournament. I just think it needs to be entirely disconnected from last season.

OK, maybe. I don't know.

But if I'm a school like Liberty, who ended last season with a 30-4 record, won the A-Sun conference tournament, and ended up 67th in the NET, I'm not going to be very happy about being left out -- being that this looks like a quasi-NCAA tournament that I'd have qualified for (and been paid for) under the conditions established for the actual NCAA tournament. Given that they lost out on the revenue they'd have earned from their automatic bid and lose out again this time because they weren't top 64 in the NET, they might be tempted to file suit.

I just think you have to leave last season out of it. Those teams were different teams. I'm sure there isn't a single team in Division I that will have the exact same roster in November that they had in March. And that matters here more than merely principle, I think.
Distribute the money among all D1 programs, then. Or just decide that it’s too hard and don’t do anything. Such a strange mentality, especially since this is about college basketball.

Well that's my point. What Augusta National is doing with the Masters is fine. In that case, it really is just a change of date (and playing conditions, etc.). Nothing else really changes.

In the case of the NCAA tournament, you're talking about all different rosters.

Again, I don't have a problem with a big early season tournament. I just think it needs to be entirely disconnected from last season.
yes exactly. Big early season tourney sounds great. But 2019-20 season is over. No champion. Ship has sailed.

I still think it would be somewhat controversial to pick the field if it's a limited entry tourney (ie not open to all D1 teams) based on last season's results. Bubble teams getting left off for at-large teams who are weaker this year. High seeds based on last season's results, given to teams who are now roster depleted. Maryland is a great example. Hypothetically they would be a high seed, but if Smith stays in the draft, they could possibly even fall into the bottom half of the B1G season next year. Iowa is another good example. Based on this past season they would be solidly in as a mid level seed...but if Garza goes pro, they won't be the same team. So there would be a lot of controversy over who gets in and who is left out, and the merits of each team's case.

Reactions: kkott
Distribute the money among all D1 programs, then. Or just decide that it’s too hard and don’t do anything. Such a strange mentality, especially since this is about college basketball.

To you it's about college basketball -- something you enjoy and watch on TV. But don't kid yourself about the importance of money here. Even Huggins admitted as much in his comment. College basketball and football are pretty big money businesses. And many of these college athletic departments are sucking wind financially now, if they weren't 6 weeks ago.

The last thing the NCAA should do is do something that is just begging for litigation.

If they want to do some big invitational, I don't think that would be a problem. But if they tie it to last season in any way, I think they're asking for it.

To you it's about college basketball -- something you enjoy and watch on TV. But don't kid yourself about the importance of money here. Even Huggins admitted as much in his comment. College basketball and football are pretty big money businesses. And many of these college athletic departments are sucking wind financially now, if they weren't 6 weeks ago.

The last thing the NCAA should do is do something that is just begging for litigation.

If they want to do some big invitational, I don't think that would be a problem. But if they tie it to last season in any way, I think they're asking for it.
If you distribute the money evenly, the potential for litigation is minimal. And which school is going to die on Mount Litigation when the entire intent of this is to bring back the sport after a national crisis, as well as restore some degree of financial health to athletic departments? The odds of this generating litigation are extremely low. I think saying “no” tends to be the reaction of many, simply because that’s their programming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT