ADVERTISEMENT

We're really close, we really are

TommyCracker

Hall of Famer
Mar 18, 2004
We have two teams. One led by our upperclassmen guards and one of our underclassmen.

I have no idea why but Rob has never pushed pace even though I guarantee you he's the fastest guy on the team. He even had a breakaway with Nunge running backwards....and he slowed up and looked around not sure of what to do.

Drives me nuts. Has always driven me nuts and it's ugly basketball.

With Lander coming on, you see us play at a faster pace that actually takes advantage of our strengths as a smaller but quicker team.

It also increases our energy on defense.

The freshman erased not one but two double digit deficits against a top ten team.

That's the type of basketball that Archie promised. Fast pace offensively with a tough defense.

My point, I believe if we can increase our pace offensively we're going to see an offense that can break down a defense. In other words, it changes us offensively for the better.

I keep waiting for Rob to start playing and stop thinking but Lander is starting to get it and that changes things.

Other notes, Race is developing a unguardable right handed jump hook. Race is still like a bull in a China shop trying to score in traffic but that jump hook is a thing a beauty and makes him a real offensive threat.

No doubt about it, Franklin has onions. We need a killer with a chip on his shoulder. Aarman is looking the part with two straight clutch isolation plays with the clock running out.

For those worried about next year, Race's drop hook in the post, Aarman's onions and the freshmen class are reasons to be encouraged.

I've been going back and forth on the following question:

Has Archie selected the perfect amount of minutes for the young FR, and that is what is allowing them to thrive? Going against the other team's bench and gaining some confidence as a result?

Clearly Geronimo has a better idea of what he is doing and where he is supposed to be out there now after looking literally lost to begin the season (only natural).

Or, alternatively, should the FR be given even more minutes at the risk of an increased chance of mistakes as a result?

I just don't know. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that fate is the only reason we are seeing so much of the freshmen. If Miller had his way, Justin Smith would be playing 30 minutes a game and Brunk would be starting.

Justin leaving and Brunk’s back blew up Miller’s 4 year plan of returning his entire starting lineup. I think Miller was salivating at the thought of starting 5 returning players. The plan was to start Durham, TJD, Smith and Brunk - all players in their final season at IU.

Then, after this year, he could worry about next year and the inevitable start of the rebuild.

Not having Smith and Brunk was the best thing that could happen for the freshman class.

We have two teams. One led by our upperclassmen guards and one of our underclassmen.

I have no idea why but Rob has never pushed pace even though I guarantee you he's the fastest guy on the team. He even had a breakaway with Nunge running backwards....and he slowed up and looked around not sure of what to do.

Drives me nuts. Has always driven me nuts and it's ugly basketball.

With Lander coming on, you see us play at a faster pace that actually takes advantage of our strengths as a smaller but quicker team.

It also increases our energy on defense.

The freshman erased not one but two double digit deficits against a top ten team.

That's the type of basketball that Archie promised. Fast pace offensively with a tough defense.

My point, I believe if we can increase our pace offensively we're going to see an offense that can break down a defense. In other words, it changes us offensively for the better.

I keep waiting for Rob to start playing and stop thinking but Lander is starting to get it and that changes things.

Other notes, Race is developing a unguardable right handed jump hook. Race is still like a bull in a China shop trying to score in traffic but that jump hook is a thing a beauty and makes him a real offensive threat.

No doubt about it, Franklin has onions. We need a killer with a chip on his shoulder. Aarman is looking the part with two straight clutch isolation plays with the clock running out.

For those worried about next year, Race's drop hook in the post, Aarman's onions and the freshmen class are reasons to be encouraged.
We were fortunate to squeak by with our guards shooting so poorly, especially on our home floor. I think Rob and Al were something like 2-14. And Armaan shot very poorly too. Yes, he and Rob each hit a crucial jumper in crunch time. But we aren’t going to win many others that way. Our margin is too small on offense to afford our guards missing so many open looks.

Reactions: Ksteph
We were fortunate to squeak by with our guards shooting so poorly, especially on our home floor. I think Rob and Al were something like 2-14. And Armaan shot very poorly too. Yes, he and Rob each hit a crucial jumper in crunch time. But we aren’t going to win many others that way. Our margin is too small on offense to afford our guards missing so many open looks.
Up until the last 2 minutes, Durham, Franklin and Phinisee had COMBINED to shoot 2-24.

That's not a typo: TWO of TWENTY-FOUR.

Am I glad we won? Always will celebrate an IU win. But remember how RMK used to get pissed with 5 minutes left in the blowouts of Northwestern - because he saw play that was gonna get us beat? That's where I'm at right now.

ADVERTISEMENT