ADVERTISEMENT

Well... My Guess For OC is Off the Board

Though I liked his Deboer connection and apparently had good results at EMU...this one was not my dream hire and his choice of HC at D3 school to me says he wasn't high on IU's list either.

Hoping we can think a little bigger, i.e. a "QB coach from Clemson" type who has been to big bowls, recruited top players and wants a big opportunity to strut with the big boys of OSU, UM, PSU, but not as head coach, OC. At very least, a bigger D1 OC with some juice like DeBoer had.

Surprised that Will Hall is still on the board. Moorhead is the star power pick left on the board and there are not that many guys looking right now which works in our favor. Although if they can get Moorhead, some big schools may be willing to Jettison there OC's.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Though I liked his Deboer connection and apparently had good results at EMU...this one was not my dream hire and his choice of HC at D3 school to me says he wasn't high on IU's list either.

Hoping we can think a little bigger, i.e. a "QB coach from Clemson" type who has been to big bowls, recruited top players and wants a big opportunity to strut with the big boys of OSU, UM, PSU, but not as head coach, OC. At very least, a bigger D1 OC with some juice like DeBoer had.

You have got to be kidding me...!

You spent a good amount of time ripping me last year for even suggesting the "QB coach from Clemson" and you now bring him up as the gold standard!

Amazing...

-*Speaking to fan66-

Last edited:
Surprised that Will Hall is still on the board. Moorhead is the star power pick left on the board and there are not that many guys looking right now which works in our favor. Although if they can get Moorhead, some big schools may be willing to Jettison there OC's.

I'm deferring even making a guess after my Keen "crash and burn" (tail feathers are still smoldering;))...

If you believe Football Scoops list of teams needing an OC (which looks like it's not updated in real time) we have some stiff competition for those big names that are left...

I won't even guess as to when it gets done...

The only bit of information that I know for sure is that the Coaches convention wraps up on January 15th so... "maybe" that will turn out to be a key date???

-Speaking to McCormick-

Last edited:
I'm deferring even making a guess after my Keen "crash and burn" (tail feathers are still smoldering;))...

If you believe Football Scoops list of teams needing an OC (which looks like it's not updated in real time) we have some stiff competition for those big names that are left...

I won't even guess as to when it gets done...

The only bit of information that I know for sure is that the Coaches convention wraps up on January 15th so... "maybe" that will turn out to be a key date???

-Speaking to McCormick-
With Inge leaving, maybe we're going after someone with more recruiting power.

I've got to think Allen had someone specific in mind when he said we'd run the same offense.

That's a stunner to me.

Got to think we didn't go after him. D3 HC?

Really appears to be the case... That was where he matriculated from though so maybe the ties were strong...?

I'm done making guesses this time around ;).
I'm glad no betting was involved because I thought I had a near lock.:(:confused::rolleyes:;)

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
You have got to be kidding me...!

You spent a good amount of time ripping me last year for even suggesting the "QB coach from Clemson" and you now bring him up as the gold standard!

Amazing...

-*Speaking to fan66-
Clearly you remember posts more than me (and interpret differently too) as I not only don't recall this, but can't imagine ripping a QB coach from national champion Clemson. Unless that person was barely a grad assistant hire and OC doing most of the stuff, or Clemson was paying QB coach $1M and I didn't think IU would spend what would take to him him. But post DeBoer $850K and bowl results to build upon, maybe IU will spend more to go bigger now.

The world can change in a year and IU job has more shine to it, they've proven they will spend some money and there is an opening again a year later. So now I think IU can indeed thing bigger than they perhaps had in the past and either a riser from a big name school (like QB coach at an LSU, Clemson, etc.) or a proven OC. I read about Moorehead (fired HC at Miss St) and he looks very intriguing for sure.

I didn't know much about Moorehead (I thought) then saw his background in this U Miami article: https://caneswarning.com/2020/01/03/miami-football-consider-fired-miss-st-coach-joe-moorhead-oc/

I did remember former OC at Penn St. getting this job and from what read, he'd seem to be a great hire and per what Coach Allen is looking for, could also indeed be a "HC of the offense" for sure. Maybe he'd like to come back to the B10, do his thing against the big boys (including his former home PSU) and sadly, like DeBoer, he'd be hot HC prospect again. But what the hell, I'd be willing to let him crush it at IU and worry about his leaving after having huge success, even if only for a year. It's a two way street and IU would certainly benefit if that were the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT