ADVERTISEMENT

Weird news.

mk23

Senior
Dec 7, 2005
So we get two transfer pitchers who believe they can take their game to another level in Bloomington. That’s fine. Then the pitching coach bolts basically the same day? WTH???

I’m not real sure how confident to feel about this program right now.

So we get two transfer pitchers who believe they can take their game to another level in Bloomington. That’s fine. Then the pitching coach bolts basically the same day? WTH???

Did you ever in your career take a job to advance your career? Or did you stay in the same job forever and just hope to get promoted?

Parker took a job in the best conference in the country. That stuff happens and this is the time of year it happens.

You're always so doom and gloom.

Did you ever in your career take a job to advance your career? Or did you stay in the same job forever and just hope to get promoted?

Parker took a job in the best conference in the country. That stuff happens and this is the time of year it happens.

You're always so doom and gloom.
You’re pretty much always a douche - and it’s getting old.

I don’t expect any mature thoughts from you and will politely ask you to put me on ignore. That way your witty responses can be saved for someone who gives a crap.

For any adults out there, does it seem odd that 2 young men just announced they were transferring to get great coaching only to discover their pitching coach is out the door?

Reactions: ulrey
You’re pretty much always a douche - and it’s getting old.

I don’t expect any mature thoughts from you and will politely ask you to put me on ignore. That way your witty responses can be saved for someone who gives a crap.

For any adults out there, does it seem odd that 2 young men just announced they were transferring to get great coaching only to discover their pitching coach is out the door?
Wow! Talk about maturity from a 60+ year old.

I’m sure you follow enough college sports to know that kids commit and then coaches leave fairly often. As far as I know, these kids are free to not end up coming to IU if Parker leaving is an issue for them now.

Parker likely didn’t know he was getting the job until Sunday or Monday. Our new pitching commitments that I’m aware of were all last week.

Maybe they’ll still come. Maybe they won’t. It’s not the big issue you’re making it out to be.

Actually, I feel pretty good that an elite program like South Carolina thinks our staff is good enough to hire away. It's a major step up in Parker's career. I wish him good luck and look forward to seeing which new rising coach we identify to take his place. The unfortunate reality is the Big10 is basically a mid-major+ conference in baseball while the SEC is the pinnacle.

Yeah, it’s not like he left to be the pitching coach at Toledo. He’s going to a program that’s won a few titles in the last decade, and in the top conference in the nation. His pay will likely double and then some, and he will be able to add another job as a resume builder. I don’t know if he ever aspires to be a head coach, but this is great progression for him if he does.

Maybe I’m getting soft in my old age and am finally starting to think about things from the player’s perspective. It would totally suck to announce I’m transferring to IU so I can get coached by a guy who can help my draft stock only to find out a day or so later that coach is gone. I’d bet they feel duped. I’d bet their parents aren’t real thrilled either.

Since everyone here seems to be celebrating Parker getting out of a shitty job and going to a big baseball school, well hell yeah! Go Parker Go! Good on you boy!!

Now if he takes the hitting/base running/infield coach with him, I’d feel better. In the meantime, I can’t help but worry we might be on a downhill slide. Won’t keep me from watching every pitch of every game and pulling like hell for them though.

Maybe I’m getting soft in my old age and am finally starting to think about things from the player’s perspective. It would totally suck to announce I’m transferring to IU so I can get coached by a guy who can help my draft stock only to find out a day or so later that coach is gone. I’d bet they feel duped. I’d bet their parents aren’t real thrilled either.

Since everyone here seems to be celebrating Parker getting out of a shitty job and going to a big baseball school, well hell yeah! Go Parker Go! Good on you boy!!

Now if he takes the hitting/base running/infield coach with him, I’d feel better. In the meantime, I can’t help but worry we might be on a downhill slide. Won’t keep me from watching every pitch of every game and pulling like hell for them though.

1) No one said Indiana was a 'shitty job'. It's one of the two or three best jobs in a conference only a tick better than mid-major in baseball. It's a good job, but we can't do anything about geography, so there's no use complaining about it.

2) I appreciate the fact that we live in a free market system and I'm happy that someone who helped our Hoosiers do so well on the mound is getting rewarded for his work. Are you saying you'd have no issues with being prevented from taking a better job at a much higher salary if one were offered?

3) Yes, it sucks for the players IF Parker is the reason they transferred, but life isn't fair and all they can do is to make the best of the situation like the rest of us do.

(Based on the tone of your previous posts, I can't help but imagine you'd say the same).

4) The program could be on a downward slide (though I see the opposite). Being in the Big10 just kills us in baseball for reasons we can't control. Mid-major football and basketball schools which routinely identify top level coaching talent on the rise have a very difficult time staying competitive with the elite programs when it's being hired away every 3-4 years. I trust the system we have in place to identify coaching talent will continue to do so.

I'm very optimistic about IU baseball while recognizing we have an uphill fight against things out of our control. Geography alone will likely prevent us from ever reaching the top level of college baseball. Nonetheless, I will root for our Hoosiers and enjoy winning baseball while it lasts.

Dan Held is stepping away from coaching. Cue head explosions in 3, 2 1.....

kidding aside, losing two in a matter of 2-3 days is tough. I doubt Rolen wants to be a full time coach. I guess we will see what sort of hiring chops Mercer has for these spots.

Reactions: ptrich and mk23

kidding aside, losing two in a matter of 2-3 days is tough. I doubt Rolen wants to be a full time coach. I guess we will see what sort of hiring chops Mercer has for these spots.
While I trust IU's ability to replace a good coach every 2-3 years, it does get tough when you're having to replace multiple coaches at the same time. This is a blow and really could impact the program. We have to hope our growing reputation continues to attract good coaches and that Mercer/IU can identify the best.

Reactions: mk23
I hope Jeff Mercer saw some (or all) of this coming. Seems hard to believe he’d have been caught by surprise by either event. I’m betting he’ll bring in some solid replacements - and has probably already made preliminary selections/offers.

I said I heard there was dissent among coaches and players. Not too surprised by coaches and players leaving. Rolen doesn’t want to coach or else he would already be somewhere in the MLB. He’s just “around” when he wants to be. Critical hires to be made, and critical season upcoming for IU baseball as a program.

I said I heard there was dissent among coaches and players. Not too surprised by coaches and players leaving. Rolen doesn’t want to coach or else he would already be somewhere in the MLB. He’s just “around” when he wants to be. Critical hires to be made, and critical season upcoming for IU baseball as a program.
He has had some fairly major health issues over the last year or so. If not for those he would still be on the staff.

Reactions: Charlesroast
He has had some fairly major health issues over the last year or so. If not for those he would still be on the staff.
I’d assume you’re talking about Held? If so thats a bummer for him, his Heath and family is more important than the game of baseball. Wish him the best.

Reactions: Bligedy
I’d assume you’re talking about Held? If so thats a bummer for him, his Heath and family is more important than the game of baseball. Wish him the best.
I assumed he was not talking about Coach Parker. Will be interesting to see whither Simmons & Sagerman.

I assumed he was not talking about Coach Parker. Will be interesting to see whither Simmons & Sagerman.
Not sure I follow the “whither” part, but I’m not totally opposed to a whole new crew now. Rolen is the only keeper in my mind and it’d be wonderful if he’d take one of the on-field roles for a couple years to steady the ship. Probably a pipe dream though.

Not sure I follow the “whither” part, but I’m not totally opposed to a whole new crew now. Rolen is the only keeper in my mind and it’d be wonderful if he’d take one of the on-field roles for a couple years to steady the ship. Probably a pipe dream though.
I just can't imagine he doing more now that his best friend won't be around.

• Sad
Reactions: mk23
We need to calm down a little bit. We’ve seen this stuff in Teri Moren and Tom Allen’s programs. I wish like hell that Scott Rolen could just step up and become the Head Coach and I really do think he will someday, when his kids are grown up.

I'd be interested in your take on this.
Well, coaches tend to go with guys they trust, and Simmons has been in line for a promotion. The stability is nice, but what I ultimately look at is recruiting. Does he have the juice to recruit against national programs in this area.

Kids tend to look at who coaches have developed and mentored in their careers, and he will be going against big time programs/recruiters with proven history of developed early round picks. I don’t know who Simmons has developed/mentored in that regard, so that is a concern. He is going to have prove himself on the recruiting trail, and be able to sell his development. Mercer will likely help shoulder that responsibility as all head coaches do, so that helps. By all accounts he’s prepared for the challenge ahead.

Well, coaches tend to go with guys they trust, and Simmons has been in line for a promotion. The stability is nice, but what I ultimately look at is recruiting. Does he have the juice to recruit against national programs in this area.

Kids tend to look at who coaches have developed and mentored in their careers, and he will be going against big time programs/recruiters with proven history of developed early round picks. I don’t know who Simmons has developed/mentored in that regard, so that is a concern. He is going to have prove himself on the recruiting trail, and be able to sell his development. Mercer will likely help shoulder that responsibility as all head coaches do, so that helps. By all accounts he’s prepared for the challenge ahead.
Recruiting is obviously vital. Wonder if he’ll relinquish his duties as the hitting coach? Surely he won’t be in charge of infield play, base running, and hitting along with all the recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT