ADVERTISEMENT

Week One Point Spread vs. Penn St. in Bloomington

Chriselli

All-Big Ten
Nov 27, 2001
I'm thinking it will open at PSU -8.5. I wonder how much the lack of fans will hurt us in particular.

I'm thinking it will open at PSU -8.5. I wonder how much the lack of fans will hurt us in particular.

We will find out how many real competitors we have on this team when we play P$U...

If our guys "need" fans on site to get their competitive juices flowing then we're in for an unhappy result...

Personally..., I think we get the Win...

I think IU wins and opens up people's eyes about this Hoosier team. Last year should have been a win but a blown ST fake along with touching a punt and losing the ball gave PSU the win. Even up this year should bring a victory to the Hoosiers. I would have IU at -10 over PSU.

Last edited:
For anyone being negative saying this is a loss. We lost at penn state in front of probably 100k screaming fans by only 7 points (and that was with some extremely bad ref calls)
Now we get them at home with a healthy penix, whop, stevie, hendershot, james, fryfogle... i can go on with all the playmakers on offense.
This game is winnable for sure and I think they do it

To be clear...I didn't say we were going to lose. I was just guessing what the point spread would open at. I wouldn't touch that spread with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
For anyone being negative saying this is a loss. We lost at penn state in front of probably 100k screaming fans by only 7 points (and that was with some extremely bad ref calls)
Now we get them at home with a healthy penix, whop, stevie, hendershot, james, fryfogle... i can go on with all the playmakers on offense.
This game is winnable for sure and I think they do it
Our Offense should be our strong point. I think it will come down to the Defense. If we can keep them bottled up, I'm confident our Offense can put enough points on the board to win.

With our schedule, this game borders on a must win.

According to The Action Network...these would be their spreads for all B1G based on their formulas...

24-OctIllinoisWisconsin-24.1
24-OctIowaPurdue-5.6
24-OctRutgersMichigan State-4
24-OctMarylandNorthwestern-16.7
24-OctNebraskaOhio State-20.2
24-OctMichiganMinnesota-2.3
24-OctPenn StateIndiana5
31-OctOhio StatePenn State9.6
31-OctMichigan StateMichigan-10.5
31-OctWisconsinNebraska13.3
31-OctNorthwesternIowa5.8
31-OctMinnesotaMaryland14.5
31-OctPurdueIllinois5.1
31-OctIndianaRutgers16
7-NovMichigan StateIowa-5.1
7-NovMarylandPenn State-25.8
7-NovPurdueWisconsin-18
7-NovRutgersOhio State-34.6
7-NovMichiganIndiana-5.6
7-NovMinnesotaIllinois7.1
7-NovNebraskaNorthwestern-0.5
14-NovPenn StateNebraska7.6
14-NovWisconsinMichigan15.3
14-NovOhio StateMaryland34.4
14-NovIowaMinnesota-7.6
14-NovIndianaMichigan State13
14-NovNorthwesternPurdue1.2
14-NovIllinoisRutgers4.6
21-NovIowaPenn State-16.9
21-NovIndianaOhio State-17.6
21-NovPurdueMinnesota-3
21-NovMichiganRutgers11.4
21-NovWisconsinNorthwestern13.8
21-NovMichigan StateMaryland3.8
21-NovIllinoisNebraska-9.8
28-NovPenn StateMichigan9.6
28-NovMinnesotaWisconsin-16
28-NovNebraskaIowa6.3
28-NovOhio StateIllinois27
28-NovNorthwesternMichigan State9.9
28-NovMarylandIndiana-19.8
28-NovRutgersPurdue-12.7
5-DecOhio StateMichigan State29.6
5-DecMarylandMichigan-15.2
5-DecNorthwesternMinnesota-0.8
5-DecIndianaWisconsin-12.7
5-DecIowaIllinois0.5
5-DecPenn StateRutgers22
5-DecNebraskaPurdue1.7
12-DecWisconsinIowa20.6
12-DecMinnesotaNebraska-1.7
12-DecIllinoisNorthwestern-9.3
12-DecPurdueIndiana-6.3
12-DecRutgersMaryland0.8
12-DecMichiganOhio State-22.2
12-DecMichigan StatePenn State-21

Our players are not unfamiliar with lack of proper fan support

But I think we've been in Penn State's grill for 2 years, and our guys are ready to finish one, while their guys will likely give it the "same ole same ole" version.

Lasyt year we had a better total offense and were within 4 on scoring offense.

Last year up there, Whop had 2 fumbles - one on their first punt after a 3 and out to start the game. Sigh.

They have 8 offense starters back. We have 8, but we add Penix. Clifford was the only skill guy who was better than ours, and Ramsey was right with him. Can our OL hang? Even w/o cronk and Stepaniak, Phil Steele says our OL will improve. Game 1? Who knows.

Similarly, on the season we were right with them on total defense but 8 points worse on scoring defense. If Micah Parsons is not allowed to play for them, we're better than even. (According to Franklin yesterday, Parson left "a lot earlier" than their other guy, and signed with an agent and - as of yesterday - was still in LA.)

Every defensive group we have should be better. If they are, ....

We have 5 weeks to prepare.
Best mental focus wins this opener.

We play Penn State, then Rutgers.
They play us, then OSU.

Hmmm ...

Wonder if they will wonder about their season being on the line the week after they play a team they beat the last 2 years ...

Hmmms ...

If they prepare for Ahia State instead of us, hmmms ...

But I think we've been in Penn State's grill for 2 years, and our guys are ready to finish one, while their guys will likely give it the "same ole same ole" version.

Last year up there, Whop had 2 fumbles - one on their first punt after a 3 and out to start the game. Sigh.

They have 8 offense starters back. We have 8, but we add Penix. Clifford was the only skill guy who was better than ours, and Ramsey was right with him. Can our OL hang? Even w/o cronk and Stepaniak, Phil Steele says our OL will improve. Game 1? Who knows.

Similarly, on the season we were right with them on total defense but 8 points worse on scoring defense. If Micah Parsons is not allowed to play for them, we're better than even. (According to Franklin yesterday, Parson left "a lot earlier" than their other guy, and signed with an agent and - as of yesterday - was still in LA.)

They play us, then OSU.

Hmmm ...

Wonder if they will wonder about their season being on the line the week after they play a team they beat the last 2 years ...

Hmmms ...

UPDATE:

Their board has a pic of Parsons on a private jet headed to Vegas with Lavar Arrington and Navarro Bowman:

EiTKyQKWoAA1mRS

I'm thinking he stays in the NFL.

Also, they want to play our game on Friday night so they have an extra day .... to prepare for Ahia State. (But they aren't looking past us.)

According to The Action Network...these would be their spreads for all B1G based on their formulas...

24-OctIllinoisWisconsin-24.1
24-OctIowaPurdue-5.6
24-OctRutgersMichigan State-4
24-OctMarylandNorthwestern-16.7
24-OctNebraskaOhio State-20.2
24-OctMichiganMinnesota-2.3
24-OctPenn StateIndiana5
31-OctOhio StatePenn State9.6
31-OctMichigan StateMichigan-10.5
31-OctWisconsinNebraska13.3
31-OctNorthwesternIowa5.8
31-OctMinnesotaMaryland14.5
31-OctPurdueIllinois5.1
31-OctIndianaRutgers16
7-NovMichigan StateIowa-5.1
7-NovMarylandPenn State-25.8
7-NovPurdueWisconsin-18
7-NovRutgersOhio State-34.6
7-NovMichiganIndiana-5.6
7-NovMinnesotaIllinois7.1
7-NovNebraskaNorthwestern-0.5
14-NovPenn StateNebraska7.6
14-NovWisconsinMichigan15.3
14-NovOhio StateMaryland34.4
14-NovIowaMinnesota-7.6
14-NovIndianaMichigan State13
14-NovNorthwesternPurdue1.2
14-NovIllinoisRutgers4.6
21-NovIowaPenn State-16.9
21-NovIndianaOhio State-17.6
21-NovPurdueMinnesota-3
21-NovMichiganRutgers11.4
21-NovWisconsinNorthwestern13.8
21-NovMichigan StateMaryland3.8
21-NovIllinoisNebraska-9.8
28-NovPenn StateMichigan9.6
28-NovMinnesotaWisconsin-16
28-NovNebraskaIowa6.3
28-NovOhio StateIllinois27
28-NovNorthwesternMichigan State9.9
28-NovMarylandIndiana-19.8
28-NovRutgersPurdue-12.7
5-DecOhio StateMichigan State29.6
5-DecMarylandMichigan-15.2
5-DecNorthwesternMinnesota-0.8
5-DecIndianaWisconsin-12.7
5-DecIowaIllinois0.5
5-DecPenn StateRutgers22
5-DecNebraskaPurdue1.7
12-DecWisconsinIowa20.6
12-DecMinnesotaNebraska-1.7
12-DecIllinoisNorthwestern-9.3
12-DecPurdueIndiana-6.3
12-DecRutgersMaryland0.8
12-DecMichiganOhio State-22.2
12-DecMichigan StatePenn State-21

Am I reading correctly that IU would be a 5.6 point favorite against Michigan? Nice

Reactions: Chriselli
I agree about IU beating PSU and it will be a big disappointment if they don't. We have had them on the ropes in enough games and it is time to beat them once again. PSU lost a lot this off-season yet prognosticators expect them to be better this year, I just don't see it.

Reactions: 76-1
Am I reading correctly that IU would be a 5.6 point favorite against Michigan? Nice

ha That was my thought. The lines didn't completely make sense but then again, they have us beating Maryland at home by more points than they have UM beating Maryland at home. So maybe they do favor IU?

Reactions: vesuvius13
That was the singular item that stood out the most to me. So I really dug in and looked at everything else closely, and that was the only thing that seemed crazy...so maybe? They also predict we will go 5-3. The over/under win total coming into this year was 7.5. After taking out the three non-confererence gimmies, that had us beating Maryland and @ Rutgers, and three of Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, @ Michigan, @ Ohio State, Penn State, and @ Wisconsin.

Vegas love us.

They play us, then OSU.

Hmmm ...

Hmmms ...

The big boys don’t really take IU serious.

The big boys don’t really take IU serious.

Do you mean "seriously"?

Honest question...how will the all important "IU SUCKS!!" chants be managed at your football games this season? Will try pipe it in and use the new vid board for the graphics?

Looking forward to the honored tradition.

We have a new O coordinator, a new strength coach, and many other new coaches. I'm not sure how we'll look in game one. I hope we look ready for onside kicks. (I was at the Gator Bowl like many here.) More importantly, I hope we can make an extra point. That truly cost us the Gator in my opinion.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
By 5 over UM. Wow. If the gamblers opinion of UM is correct, this may be Harbaughs last year.
That's 'The Action Network' predictions - not gamblers'. I highly doubt we'll be favored in that game, barring a complete collapse by UM.

We have a new O coordinator, a new strength coach, and many other new coaches. I'm not sure how we'll look in game one. I hope we look ready for onside kicks. (I was at the Gator Bowl like many here.) More importantly, I hope we can make an extra point. That truly cost us the Gator in my opinion.
Go Hoosiers!
With everything that has happened this year I totally forgot we lost our OC and strength guys. A lot to overcome!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT