ADVERTISEMENT

Weather Delay

Im looking at the radar. It doesn’t look like it’s going to move through for another two hours.

No, the front has nearly passed through. Saw a report of a 4:06 restart.

This is true. Teams will take field at 4 pm and resume play at 4:06.

This will be bizarre. Like the Utah-Michigan delay a few years back but that was much longer delay. They finished it out to an empty stadium around midnight.

Dang! I was starting to think about betting on which will end first: Today's football game or tomorrow's basketball game?

This will be bizarre. Like the Utah-Michigan delay a few years back but that was much longer delay. They finished it out to an empty stadium around midnight.
It was weird after the game restarted. Glad we stayed and got to watch another shutout. Rutgers played the most uninspired game I have ever seen!

It was weird after the game restarted. Glad we stayed and got to watch another shutout. Rutgers played the most uninspired game I have ever seen!
how many fans made it back in after delay?

We waited three hours for a delay at a regional baseball game vs Stanford IIRC a few years back.

My son shot a video while the teams were warming up. I'd say 100 on the east side and maybe 1,500 on the west side. The concession stands closed about 15 minutes before the teams took the field.

That last quarter was an encore. The game was over and IU got to come out and score once more. We talked to a parent of a senior lineman that was excited for his kid to get into the game. He did on the last two series.

You are either quite young, Crimson, or you are new to IU football or you have not been to very many games because, in my day, I have seen much uninspired football at Memorial Stadium.

I was one of them that waited it out. I would guess no more than 150 fans on the East side and maybe 500 on the West side. No student section today due to the Thanksgiving break so the Crimson Guard was on leave. It was sparse to start the game. I would guess actual attendance at its peak was no more than 20K.

You are either quite young, Crimson, or you are new to IU football or you have not been to very many games because, in my day, I have seen much uninspired football at Memorial Stadium.
You are wrong on every one of your assumptions. Rutgers didn't look like a team that was playing to win out and get a bowl bid. There was no fire from the other sideline.

You are wrong on every one of your assumptions. Rutgers didn't look like a team that was playing to win out and get a bowl bid. There was no fire from the other sideline.
Okay, ya caught me; I was having fun with the assumptions. And my point is at the end of my post. Please re-read it and I think you will find that I did not challenge your proposition that Rutgers played uninspired football, just that teams playing uninspired football is nothing new in Memorial Stadium.

Okay, ya caught me; I was having fun with the assumptions. And my point is at the end of my post. Please re-read it and I think you will find that I did not challenge your proposition that Rutgers played uninspired football, just that teams playing uninspired football is nothing new in Memorial Stadium.
Rutgers played like teams that have come into Bloomington with no chance to win. Under the conditions, I didn't believe the 10 1/2 spread, or whatever it ended up at the start of the game. I gave them a 50/50 chance to win. They didn't seem to feel the same way.

Rutgers played like teams that have come into Bloomington with no chance to win. Under the conditions, I didn't believe the 10 1/2 spread, or whatever it ended up at the start of the game. I gave them a 50/50 chance to win. They didn't seem to feel the same way.
Fifty-fifty, huh? I've felt for a long time that IU was going to win that game. Admittedly, I would never have predicted 41-0, but I saw a W in that game.
I also see one this Saturday, but it will unquestionably require the entire team's "A" game to get it. This is going to be a dog fight between hungry dogs with only a pile of kibble between them. So, for me, this game comes down to this two-part question: Which team can take the pressure and flawlessly execute their game plan?

Fifty-fifty, huh? I've felt for a long time that IU was going to win that game. Admittedly, I would never have predicted 41-0, but I saw a W in that game.
I also see one this Saturday, but it will unquestionably require the entire team's "A" game to get it. This is going to be a dog fight between hungry dogs with only a pile of kibble between them. So, for me, this game comes down to this two-part question: Which team can take the pressure and flawlessly execute their game plan?
With the game forecast calling for 25 - 40 mph winds, I thought 50/50 was about right. We didn't have much of a running game prior to the game and 25-40 mph winds weren't friendly to our passing game. I thought Rutgers not relying on a passing game gave them an edge.

With the game forecast calling for 25 - 40 mph winds, I thought 50/50 was about right. We didn't have much of a running game prior to the game and 25-40 mph winds weren't friendly to our passing game. I thought Rutgers not relying on a passing game gave them an edge.
Isn't it just great how hindsight is always 20/20 while foresight is so often blinder than a fricken bat?

I wasn't happy with last Sunday's Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette, which showed the small crowd after the weather delay. I could see other teams vying for the same player and showing that photo to him with the explanation that it shows our typical attendance. The player may not have been aware it was late in the third quarter with IU comfortably ahead and terrible weather that forced a long delay.

I realize you are worried that picture will become one of several arguments for a player to not sign with IU. But, frankly, if Tom Allen can't overcome that, he probably doesn't deserve to sign any recruits.
This is a picture with which he can counter that argument.
hoosier-fb-stadium-750.jpg

I wasn't happy with last Sunday's Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette, which showed the small crowd after the weather delay. I could see other teams vying for the same player and showing that photo to him with the explanation that it shows our typical attendance. The player may not have been aware it was late in the third quarter with IU comfortably ahead and terrible weather that forced a long delay.
Eh I think most players actually interested in IU know the deal. And that the weather was obviously bad. Besides, just show them this:

f3vptl.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT