ADVERTISEMENT

We Will Be Fine; If Portal Guys Decide To Move On

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
While I would like to have everyone back, it will not be the end of the world if these guys move on. Now that TJD is onboard, we have a decent core.

PS
TJD
RP - Woody will be a breath of fresh air for him
TG
AL
JB - If his back is right again
JD - New Recruit
JH
- Woody gets 1 shooter, a back-up PG & a big man through the portal or recruiting

Last edited:
While I would like to have everyone back, it will not be the end of the world if these guys move on. Now that TJD is onboard, we have a decent core.

TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH
- Woody gets 1 shooter, a back-up PG & a big man through the portal or recruiting
i think you're especially right about rob.

TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH
That’s enough to get up to the top half of B1G with good coaching, but we really need 1 or 2 of the portal guys to come back IMO. Franklin and Lander would be nice. I think Franklin could excel with Woodsons coaching. Lander needs to fix his shot. He has great vision, but needs to play within himself a bit more and become a 3pt threat. I’d let him shoot all day as an opponent as it stands right now.

TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH

I think Logan Duncomb will be the added post depth. I am excited for what he'll be able to do.

PS
TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH
I think Lander and Franklin at a minimum will return, and I can see it dominoing and everyone returns. Unfinished business for everyone and they have formed bonds with their teammates, so that pull will be strong. If they give CMW a fair chance, I think they’ll feel what Trayce did. And Trayce announcing the way he did was HUGE! Lander still has some pick and rolls to run with him!

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I honestly thought the players would collectively decide to rededicate themselves to IU, to prove that they're better than they played last season. It seems that a lot of these guys look at IU like an AAU summer league rather than an institution of higher learning.

PS
TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH
I love your optimism, but we do this every year in having unrealistic expectations of improvement. Let's not forget that the other teams in the league will also be "improving". We flat out need reliable shooters. I don't think we currently have one on the roster or in the transfer portal from IU. How many wide open shots did our offense create last year that resulted in brick after brick? It was not uncommon for us to be 1-11 from three at the half and 3-19 for the game. I do believe that coaching and offensive scheme will help improve our shooting. However, I have been down this road too many times to know what we have, what we have witnessed and to have realistic expectations. We flat out need players that can shoot and Parker apparently brings us that. If TJD can develop a 12 - 15' range threat, again, this changes everything. All of these guys have also been conditioned to play the pack line and that will change. Not saying that's a bad thing, but simply pointing out all the change. All that said, we need a legit PG who can run the show and create offense and not hurt us with defense liabilities and turnovers. Ideally, we'd have two of these on the team like you outline. We need a big ass burger boy in the middle. TJD, Brunk nor Lincomb is that person. I also do not trust Brunk's longevity. I really think that Geronimo could be a hell of a player. Would love to see him come back. So, tons of questions marks and I am all in on Woody and the culture he brings. The honesty of TJD's presser and Coach Woody's approach is very refreshing. For the first time in a long time, our program feels united and aligned.

Last edited:

PS
TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH
Get a good point guard you really want to be stuck with Phinesse in the middle of big ten season and no really good back up no thanks

I think Lander and Franklin at a minimum will return, and I can see it dominoing and everyone returns. Unfinished business for everyone and they have formed bonds with their teammates, so that pull will be strong. If they give CMW a fair chance, I think they’ll feel what Trayce did. And Trayce announcing the way he did was HUGE! Lander still has some pick and rolls to run with him!
The front line would be greatly improved if Brunk, Duncomb, TJD, Race, and Hunter are all there.

Need Armaan though. He is key to having some guard scoring.

Time to plan and act on the assumption that these guys are gone. We can assume CMW has spoken with all of the guys in the portal. If they're not in by Monday, they should all be presumed to be out and Woodson should recruit out of the portal aggressively to replace them and build his team. I suspect that Woodson's system is more favorable to rapid assimilation of players by not being as invested in rigid defined play setups. A swirtching man-to-man defense is also simpler in most ways than packline. So perhaps the transfers could prove to be as effective in the new system as existing players. Having said that Armaan should be a priority, the rest can be replaced, even Lander due to the time to develop versus getting a more proven point guard out of the portal.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I've been told by IU guys I know.. Who saw him in person at Southport..
He has a long was to go..And is kinda slow..
He played REALLY well in the AAU season. I'm not proclaiming he is an AA but he's the prototypical Wisconsin center. Ala Luke Fischer.

I've been told by IU guys I know.. Who saw him in person at Southport..
He has a long was to go..And is kinda slow..

Same tournament he outplayed Furst? His ranking continuously rose his last two years. And it’s because he showed really well in big tournaments, against high major competition. He isn’t an elite athlete, 1 and done type kid. But he’ll help right away I’m sure.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I honestly thought the players would collectively decide to rededicate themselves to IU, to prove that they're better than they played last season. It seems that a lot of these guys look at IU like an AAU summer league rather than an institution of higher learning.
Im thinking that Woodson didn't say what some of the portal guys wanted to hear. Its a two way street and maybe a coach with that many years of NBA experience, just isn't that sold on some of them. Perhaps he thinks we can upgrade with players available in the portal.

Same tournament he outplayed Furst? His ranking continuously rose his last two years. And it’s because he showed really well in big tournaments, against high major competition. He isn’t an elite athlete, 1 and done type kid. But he’ll help right away I’m sure.
I would manage any expectation that he’ll help right away. He looks like a nice player, but doesn’t appear to be close to strong enough to be an early contributor.

PS
TJD
TG
AL
JD - New Recruit
JH
We must have:
a guard that can shoot 40% plus from 3
a big that can rebound
develop Hunter and TJD.
Geronimo back is the guy I want, but I think he is gone. His mom tweeted she wants him closer to home.

Reactions: outside shooter
Im thinking that Woodson didn't say what some of the portal guys wanted to hear. Its a two way street and maybe a coach with that many years of NBA experience, just isn't that sold on some of them. Perhaps he thinks we can upgrade with players available in the portal.
I would agree with you, although he did say he wanted everyone back.
Has he had time to speak to everyone?
If they have not come back now does that mean they are not?
I do think our roster needs some purging.

Will be interesting to see how guys develop/ react when told "You do what I say/want or you will sit", and then CMW follows through.
Will find out who really wants to play.
I remember knight saying the best way to get a players attention is to sit on the pine.

We must have:
a guard that can shoot 40% plus from 3
a big that can rebound
develop Hunter and TJD.
Geronimo back is the guy I want, but I think he is gone. His mom tweeted she wants him closer to home.
Shooters top priority. The 4/1 offense only works with shooters ( see Iowa). Otherwise it’s just a brick fest which we saw repeatedly this past year. Hunter could really make a jump in such an offense if he could just find some shooting consistently.

I would agree with you, although he did say he wanted everyone back.
Has he had time to speak to everyone?
If they have not come back now does that mean they are not?
I do think our roster needs some purging.
That's true. But he had time to talk to TJD, Gunn and Duscomb. They all liked what he had to say and said they were staying with IU. It just makes me wonder. Let's face it, like most everyone else, Im getting tired of not hearing anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT