ADVERTISEMENT

We should be proud of a lot of things

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
Yes the IU collapse at the end was stunning and was the first time in 472 college games this year in which a team leading by thirteen or more points with five minutes or less left lost the game. Yikes, it could only happen to the Hoosiers. But here is the thing. Those of us who were there are very proud of this team. They played without their captain Stepaniac, without their starting running back, Stevie Scott, without their starting wide receiver Donovan Hale, without Michael Penix who was the starting quarterback until injuries got him (for those who do not know he completed twenty passes in a row this season against Michigan State) and often without tight end Hendershot who came out three or four times because of injuries. Still led by Peyton Ramsey our offense came alive and scored some points. The big surprise was how well our defense played. They played their best game of the year by far. So with only three or four seniors who played yesterday, next year looks very bright. True there were some horrid coaching mistakes yesterday. How could we not be ready for an onside kick for example but I choose to view the glass as half full and am very proud of the overall direction of the Hoosier football team. Nice effort yesterday!!!!!

Our safeties played great. Best game of year by far. Offense was not good. 16 points. Took way too many negative plays/sacks.

QUOTE="Rotonda Jim, post: 2829050, member: 57172"]Yes the IU collapse at the end was stunning and was the first time in 472 college games this year in which a team leading by thirteen or more points with five minutes or less left lost the game. Yikes, it could only happen to the Hoosiers. But here is the thing. Those of us who were there are very proud of this team. They played without their captain Stepaniac, without their starting running back, Stevie Scott, without their starting wide receiver Donovan Hale, without Michael Penix who was the starting quarterback until injuries got him (for those who do not know he completed twenty passes in a row this season against Michigan State) and often without tight end Hendershot who came out three or four times because of injuries. Still led by Peyton Ramsey our offense came alive and scored some points. The big surprise was how well our defense played. They played their best game of the year by far. So with only three or four seniors who played yesterday, next year looks very bright. True there were some horrid coaching mistakes yesterday. How could we not be ready for an onside kick for example but I choose to view the glass as half full and am very proud of the overall direction of the Hoosier football team. Nice effort yesterday!!!!![/QUOTE]

Reactions: red hornet
Well....I’ve been to the last 3 bowl games and the all ended in excruciating fashion. This one stings because we looked to have it in the bag.

The whole atmosphere there felt like an SEC promotion. The announcer repeatedly called out wrong names (“Sampson Jones”) and credited Marcelino Ball with a long reception.

I think after the missed extra point, we should have gone with Campbell. The kid is a scholarship kicker that can boot from 50+.

I think the worst thing we did was with us up 22-9 and Tennessee with the ball at their 18, we should have brought some blitzes. We could have pressured an already rattled QB. Instead, we went prevent and kept the ball in front of us to the tune of big pass plays over the middle.

That philosophy never works.

The prevent was stupid. 2 plays to the 50.

Well....I’ve been to the last 3 bowl games and the all ended in excruciating fashion. This one stings because we looked to have it in the bag.

The whole atmosphere there felt like an SEC promotion. The announcer repeatedly called out wrong names (“Sampson Jones”) and credited Marcelino Ball with a long reception.

I think after the missed extra point, we should have gone with Campbell. The kid is a scholarship kicker that can boot from 50+.

I think the worst thing we did was with us up 22-9 and Tennessee with the ball at their 18, we should have brought some blitzes. We could have pressured an already rattled QB. Instead, we went prevent and kept the ball in front of us to the tune of big pass plays over the middle.

That philosophy never works.

ESPN, considering the influence they have and the amount of money they have their hands on, is such a small time operation, it often feels.

Love the rigorous prep their announcers put themselves through.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT