ADVERTISEMENT

We Need A Teri Moren Type Hire

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
I'm not convinced that bringing in a big name coach at the twilight of his career is the answer. Sounds like something UCLA has been doing since Wooden left. Some coaches, who come-up from the ranks, know how to build a program at every level. Alford is a very good mid-major coach, but his attempts to have similar success at a true Power 5 conference have fallen short. I think Archie is the same Cat with different fur. It's unfortunate that you don't find out that he can't excel at the Power 5 level until your 3-4 years into it.

Teri Moren came in from ISU with a few pieces to work with, but she transformed that program by bringing in a lot of players both domestic and international. She had a sense of urgency from the get-go like she had something to prove. She did whatever it took to build the program but maintain growth year after year. We don't have that with Indiana Basketball & have not had that except for a brief second with CTC. I would rather bring in a star from the ranks than a 55-60+ year old whose better days are behind him. But do your homework this time. Don't be told how good somebody is & just believe it.

No coach is a slam-dunk/cant miss. I lived outside of Iowa City when Alford took over the program. Bowles said that he was a can't miss hire for Iowa. Our current results are probably slightly worse than his Iowa run. We need to cut-bait only when we can hire the right replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: It Will Do
I'm not convinced that bringing in a big name coach at the twilight of his career is the answer. Sounds like something UCLA has been doing since Wooden left. Some coaches, who come-up from the ranks, know how to build a program at every level. Alford is a very good mid-major coach, but his attempts to have similar success at a true Power 5 conference have fallen short. I think Archie is the same Cat with different fur. It's unfortunate that you don't find out that he can't excel at the Power 5 level until your 3-4 years into it.

Teri Moren came in from ISU with a few pieces to work with, but she transformed that program by bringing in a lot of players both domestic and international. She had a sense of urgency from the get-go like she had something to prove. She did whatever it took to build the program but maintain growth year after year. We don't have that with Indiana Basketball & have not had that except for a brief second with CTC. I would rather bring in a star from the ranks than a 55-60+ year old whose better days are behind him. But do your homework this time. Don't be told how good somebody is & just believe it.

No coach is a slam-dunk/cant miss. I lived in outside of Iowa City when Alford took over the program. Bowles said that he was a can't miss hire for Iowa. Our current results are probably slightly worse than his Iowa run. We need to cut-bait only when we can hire the right replacement.
I thought that is what we had with CAM.

No coach is a slam-dunk/cant miss. I lived outside of Iowa City when Alford took over the program. Bowles said that he was a can't miss hire for Iowa. Our current results are probably slightly worse than his Iowa run. We need to cut-bait only when we can hire the right replacement.

Alford has improved since his time in Iowa City.

Reactions: lifelonghoosier
ADVERTISEMENT