ADVERTISEMENT

We may get a control study in sports

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Most seem certain that crowd noise is a huge part of home field advantage. Assuming sports start without fans, we will finally get a control experiment to show how much advantage crowd noise is. Some have argued a lion's share of home field/court is familiarity of surroundings. Waking up in one's own bed, the familiar site lines/lighting of the facility, etc.

Across sports this summer and fall, we may get the experiment that will show that crowd noise is really important, or just us feeling self important to a team's success.

I thought of this because of an interview where Joe Buck said Fox will add crowd noise to broadcasts so fans at home get their usual experience.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Most seem certain that crowd noise is a huge part of home field advantage. Assuming sports start without fans, we will finally get a control experiment to show how much advantage crowd noise is. Some have argued a lion's share of home field/court is familiarity of surroundings. Waking up in one's own bed, the familiar site lines/lighting of the facility, etc.

Across sports this summer and fall, we may get the experiment that will show that crowd noise is really important, or just us feeling self important to a team's success.

I thought of this because of an interview where Joe Buck said Fox will add crowd noise to broadcasts so fans at home get their usual experience.

They tried it last Friday in South Korea in a professional football/soccer match. Piped in crowd noises.

Its almost critical at the end off each season that EPL teams around the relegation zone will require their fans to cheer/sing they way to victory and stave off relegation/drop.

South Korean football team apologises for using sex dolls to fill stands
K-League club FC Seoul said the dolls, used to make stadiums look less empty, had been ordered inadvertently after a ‘misunderstanding’

A professional football team in South Korea has apologised after “mannequins” it used as substitute fans during a match at the weekend turned out to be sex dolls.

The K-League club FC Seoul said the dolls, which had been dotted around stands currently off-limits to supporters due to the coronavirus outbreak, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier.

Earlier this month the K-League became the first major football league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans starved of live football.

But FC Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s match against Gwangju FC backfired after social media users noticed that the mannequins looked more like sex dolls.

5379.jpg

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Personally I would prefer using the two options:

Someone plays this at appropriate moments:

Vuvuzelas instead of singing to create the atmosphere.

Ha true. I’ve watched two soccer games with no crowds. It’s different. Novel to hear the players yell and the thud of the ball etc.

So if crowd noise is added, the players can cuss and spit. Right?

ADVERTISEMENT