ADVERTISEMENT

We Have Some Competition For Our New OC

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
As far as I can tell there are 13 teams looking for an Offensive Coordinator at the moment, 6 of which it's unlikely we'll outbid. Those are Auburn, Tennessee, West Virginia, Miami, Houston, Pitt and Maryland.

Should be interesting to watch how this all shakes out...

Last edited:
As far as I can tell there are 12 teams looking for an Offensive Coordinator at the moment, 6 of which it's unlikely we'll outbid. Those are Auburn, Tennessee, West Virginia, Miami, Houston, and Maryland.

Yikes!

As far as I can tell there are 12 teams looking for an Offensive Coordinator at the moment, 6 of which it's unlikely we'll outbid. Those are Auburn, Tennessee, West Virginia, Miami, Houston, and Maryland.

this is another reason why CTA may have to 1) rely on an established relationship with someone like Werner or 2) roll the dice with a G5 guy who's not a likely target of Auburn, UT, WVU, UM, etc.

I'm not gung-ho about Werner (or Canada) but won't be at all surprised if that's where we end up.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmathum
this is another reason why CTA may have to 1) rely on an established relationship with someone like Werner or 2) roll the dice with a non-G5 guy who's not a likely target of Auburn, UT, WVU, UM, etc.

I'm not gung-ho about Werner (or Canada) but won't be at all surprised if that's where we end up.

Timing isn't the best.

Werner may be a good fit with the young QBs we have. He's good enough Saban hired him as a consultant.

Reactions: 76-1
I don't think we can afford Canada (unless he wants to hang out for a year here as an "Offensive Analyst" waiting for the near perfect job...). I'd be really surprised if Temple doesn't snag him as their next Head Coach right away though.

It looks to me like Warner checks all the boxes..., but I have zero "inside info"...

Last edited:
Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
this is another reason why CTA may have to 1) rely on an established relationship with someone like Werner or 2) roll the dice with a G5 guy who's not a likely target of Auburn, UT, WVU, UM, etc.

Who would be your top pick if given a vote?

Just curious, as you always seem to have a good feel for what's happening outside Indiana in the college football world.

Actually, Canada seems like a brainer to me. :) Just don't understand the love for him. He's been reliably inconsistent over the course of his career, and his resume and rumors nod to a real difficulty to work with.
Go on..

I think another poster said it best saying this hire is critical for CTA’s success. He may be able to really push for the guy he wants. I just think the relationship between Debord and CTA was that which this wasn’t a surprise and planned for. I’ll be disappointed if we end up with another unproven.

Reactions: bang63
Actually, Canada seems like a brainer to me. :) Just don't understand the love for him. He's been reliably inconsistent over the course of his career, and his resume and rumors nod to a real difficulty to work with.
Name another OC, who is available, who has been OC on a staff that has beaten Alabama.

I’ve met Canada several times through mutual friends. Seems like a really good guy who has tight relationships with his players. He’s very good on the recruiting front. I’ll ask around and see if anyone knows if he’s interested.

Reactions: kobis18
wilson is listed as the offensive coordinator on osu's official athletics web site

He might be listed as OC but he isn’t calling plays and probably won’t with the addition of Yurich. Yurich’s new title is QB and passing coordinator, sounds to me like that’s a Co-OC, just like Day’s role last year.

Tennessee, Miami, and IU are all interested in Canada. I don’t know to what degree. But they’ve all reached out.

You’d think he would want a HC position but he’s said that privately the last 3 times he’s moved and each one has been for OC.

Reactions: LeConte
Tennessee, Miami, and IU are all interested in Canada. I don’t know to what degree. But they’ve all reached out.

You’d think he would want a HC position but he’s said that privately the last 3 times he’s moved and each one has been for OC.

I think he's got some rough edges about him that make him a risky pick for top 45 or so D1 programs. His initial comments after he got the MD position hurt him.

And I doubt that he wants to be a HC at a MAC school or at the Oregon State/Vandy/Kansas level, as he's been around a lot of big-time football.

It's being reported that Major Applewhite and Brian Wright are Miami's main candidates now, so I guess it's most likely down to Tennessee and us for Canada.

Matt Canada is good. His misdirection offense and use of slot WRs in the running game would be great here.

Name another OC, who is available, who has been OC on a staff that has beaten Alabama.

That’s an awfully odd requirement. Almost like it’s backwards designed to limit the pool to the guy you want.

Canada’s results have been mixed. He didn’t impress many of us during his time here as OC. I was ready for him to go then. He had a some success at NIU, Wisconsin, and in one season at Pitt, but stints at NC State, LSU, and Maryland were mediocre with some great games and some absolute disasters. That he’s been at so many places in a short period of time should give anyone pause. While he has sometimes moved on to move up, he’s also been shown the door; both performance and personal conflict seem seem at play when he has been shown the door.

He also seems to have an almost unidentifiable offenseive philosophy. Sure, there’s a commitment to the jet sweep and pre-snap movement, but when asked - in his own words - he said that his philosophy was players first. In my read, that means that you don’t have a philosophy. He has tactics and no strategy - a younger version of the DeBoard complaints that said he had a lot of plays and no philosophy. It means that he’s always chasing players and changing his strategy instead of developing a real, winning system. It kind of explains how he presides over strange ups and downs in performance.

I think one of the most important things you can do at a place like IU is develop a clear philosophy, recruit to it, and refine it, perfect it over time. That’s not Canada’s MO.

I think another poster said it best saying this hire is critical for CTA’s success. He may be able to really push for the guy he wants. I just think the relationship between Debord and CTA was that which this wasn’t a surprise and planned for. I’ll be disappointed if we end up with another unproven.
no one should be surprised at DeBord's retirement, given it was actually his "2nd" retirement after his initial one (post-Tennessee). He evidently had to be talked into coaching again by CTA, who apparently wanted someone as his initial OC that he felt familiar and safe with--thus freeing himself up to stay in his comfort zone of concentrating on defense and continuing to call defensive signals. I wouldn't have been surprised, in fact, if DeBord had retired even if IU had managed a 6th win and bowl bid this season.

IMO the question at this point is "how much more comfortable (if any) is Allen with head coaching duties?" He's comfortable enough, FWIW, to hand over some duties to Wommack. Is he also comfortable enough to do the same on offense? If not, I'd expect him to go after another friend like Werner or someone else he's already coached with at a different program--or elevate Hart or Sheridan, neither of whom (IIRC) has prior play-calling experience.

Who would be your top pick if given a vote?

Just curious, as you always seem to have a good feel for what's happening outside Indiana in the college football world.
I've been talking up Kalen DeBoer with my friends for over a year--not only due to his previous experience at Eastern Michigan and Southern Illinois, but even more because of the schemes he and Tedford are running. I think those schemes would be a good fit for Penix (or Tuttle, if it came to that).

People need to understand that IU could hire Mike Leach himself--forget Graham Harrell--and IU still wouldn't be able to run a true Air Raid offense, at least not initially. It would take either Penix or (I expect also) Tuttle some time to adjust, and even more critically, it takes a different kind of line to block that offense. Especially the line splits, which require offensive guards that are at least as good at pass-pro (especially the footwork) as offensive tackles in most other passing offenses are.

It would also take some time to adjust IU's roster via recruiting--true Air Raid offenses don't really use TE's (most of Leach's rosters, at WSU and Tex Tech, didn't even have tight ends) and most, if not all, of the RB's need to have at least some route-running and pass-catching skills.

If Harrell were somehow to come to IU, though, I wouldn't necessarily anticipate a true Air Raid, particularly after having worked with Littrell (who DOES use TE's and places more emphasis on a legit running game than Leach usually does).

I was also intrigued by both of Norvell's main offensive assistants at Memphis, since that offense was more run-oriented than most. But it looks like both of those guys have already moved on to better programs.

Reactions: LeConte and 76-1
I've been talking up Kalen DeBoer with my friends for over a year--not only due to his previous experience at Eastern Michigan and Southern Illinois, but even more because of the schemes he and Tedford are running. I think those schemes would be a good fit for Penix (or Tuttle, if it came to that).

People need to understand that IU could hire Mike Leach himself--forget Graham Harrell--and IU still wouldn't be able to run a true Air Raid offense, at least not initially. It would take either Penix or (I expect also) Tuttle some time to adjust, and even more critically, it takes a different kind of line to block that offense. Especially the line splits, which require offensive guards that are at least as good at pass-pro (especially the footwork) as offensive tackles in most other passing offenses are.

It would also take some time to adjust IU's roster via recruiting--true Air Raid offenses don't really use TE's (most of Leach's rosters, at WSU and Tex Tech, didn't even have tight ends) and most, if not all, of the RB's need to have at least some route-running and pass-catching skills.

If Harrell were somehow to come to IU, though, I wouldn't necessarily anticipate a true Air Raid, particularly after having worked with Littrell (who DOES use TE's and places more emphasis on a legit running game than Leach usually does).

I was also intrigued by both of Norvell's main offensive assistants at Memphis, since that offense was more run-oriented than most. But it looks like both of those guys have already moved on to better programs.

Thanks!

I did consider that about Harrell but figured he'd have to find a way to adapt to what he had to work with.

Interesting stuff as always.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks!

I did consider that about Harrell but figured he'd have to find a way to adapt to what he had to work with.

Interesting stuff as always.

Appreciate your response.
with Graham having been around Littrell, I don't know that his adaptation would even need to be all that great--Littrell's not running a true Air Raid at UNT, but appears to be trying (depending on personnel) to combine some of Leach's concepts with some of Fedora's and (ironically enough) Wilson's

what I have no way of knowing is how Littrell might feel, at this point in time, about his tenure in Bloomington and what he might tell Harrell about IU as a result if Allen contacted GH about the Coordinator position.

I remember watching Kalen DeBoer from his days at University of Sioux Falls would be an excellent choice. Schemes always used to give St Francis fits. He was on a meteoric rise and has since slowed down. But I do believe he could do the job.

In my opinion they need to run a complimentary offense to the defense.
Look to Alabama and what they do. Nothing fancy......run, run, run and boom! Over the top! Right there is your explosive play. I for one appreciate ball control to benefit the defense and the wide receivers. Who cares about explosive plays if they dont end up in the endzone.
Also, the qb not trusting what he sees and letting it RIP has hindered the explosiveness, and when he does....... well, he hasn't been accurate

That’s an awfully odd requirement. Almost like it’s backwards designed to limit the pool to the guy you want.

Canada’s results have been mixed. He didn’t impress many of us during his time here as OC. I was ready for him to go then. He had a some success at NIU, Wisconsin, and in one season at Pitt, but stints at NC State, LSU, and Maryland were mediocre with some great games and some absolute disasters. That he’s been at so many places in a short period of time should give anyone pause. While he has sometimes moved on to move up, he’s also been shown the door; both performance and personal conflict seem seem at play when he has been shown the door.

He also seems to have an almost unidentifiable offenseive philosophy. Sure, there’s a commitment to the jet sweep and pre-snap movement, but when asked - in his own words - he said that his philosophy was players first. In my read, that means that you don’t have a philosophy. He has tactics and no strategy - a younger version of the DeBoard complaints that said he had a lot of plays and no philosophy. It means that he’s always chasing players and changing his strategy instead of developing a real, winning system. It kind of explains how he presides over strange ups and downs in performance.

I think one of the most important things you can do at a place like IU is develop a clear philosophy, recruit to it, and refine it, perfect it over time. That’s not Canada’s MO.
A recent article here emphasized the need for the new OC to adapt the offense to the players. You've just made the argument that Canada can do that.

So, you weren't satisfied with IU's Offense under him? When have you been satisfied with IU's offense, except under a couple years under Wilson? And I can't believe you grade him down at Maryland, which was an absolute train wreck and an impossible situation.

He was very impressive at NIU - don't downplay that. And I brought up the Alabama win for a reason - he's done it. And at a MAC school. If that doesn't impress you, I don't know what would.

He's a solid choice and a Hoosier. We need someone who is not on a learning curve. Canada would be perfect for the job. The only question is, can we afford him. And it appears he's in the running for a HC job.

Pretty impressive for someone not up to your standards.......

ADVERTISEMENT