ADVERTISEMENT

We have a lot of offers out there, but are we actually in the lead with anyone?

If the kid played HS bb and had same skills in South Dakota - would you be as giddy about him?

Im glad Archie got a recrut...things were getting to seem really dry...

You obviously aren't impressed with the young man. Help the rest of us understand what his deficiencies are and what level (league) you think he SHOULD be playing.

You obviously aren't impressed with the young man. Help the rest of us understand what his deficiencies are and what level (league) you think he SHOULD be playing.
Nah - I just dont get the whole ‘lock down the state’ thing. But mostly those thinking Indiana kids are ‘tougher, hardnosed, and higher IQ kids’...
I want the best basketball players IU can get...without caring where they are from...

Nah - I just dont get the whole ‘lock down the state’ thing. But mostly those thinking Indiana kids are ‘tougher, hardnosed, and higher IQ kids’...
I want the best basketball players IU can get...without caring where they are from...
For what it's worth, at the present state of the program, it might make perfect sense to lock down the state, because those kids will want to play all four years, by and large. There is certainly an emotional component to their choosing IU basketball.

Well some folks outside the state wanted him to come there as well. He is a good kid who wants to play for the home team..

Reactions: All4You
I made this point before, but it got shot down by @TR32 as "entitled" point of view: An in-state star may well choose to play out-of-state ball, just to get out of state. Anthony Leal, last I read, has a very high GPA, and is heavily sought after by both Stanford and Northwestern. Who knows, he may want to graduate from a superior school, academically speaking, and only then try for NBA. Let's hope otherwise.
No doubt. Archie comes out of the 2020 gate with a three star. Plenty to worry about.

I want the top players in the country. But If 2 players are equal, I would take the in-state Indiana HS player almost every time.

TE="HoosiersChamps, post: 2717141, member: 7350"]In your mouth, now shut up and go away.[[/QUOTEI
Galloway is a great get for IU.
A solid High BB IQ 2 way player with toughness.
If he is such a great get, then why the three star rating. I think it is the same story. We are settling for a great kid but still a three star because we are unable to get a five.

Galloway is a great get for IU.
A solid High BB IQ 2 way player with toughness.
I am sure he is a great kid and with great toughness. I just wish we could recruit him following some fours and at least one five. Please do not tell me we have to give Archie two or three more years to do this. The three million dollar man should do a whole lot better than this. Sorry feel very strongly I am right about this.

I am sure he is a great kid and with great toughness. I just wish we could recruit him following some fours and at least one five. Please do not tell me we have to give Archie two or three more years to do this. The three million dollar man should do a whole lot better than this. Sorry feel very strongly I am right about this.

Sorry but I feel very strongly that you are dumb.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
I want the top players in the country. But If 2 players are equal, I would take the in-state Indiana HS player almost every time.

I think AAU has muted it to some degree, but after I moved out of state (OH and NC), I played pickup with alot of decent players including many high school players and I still think the level of bball knowledge and awareness was always higher with IN kids. They grow up playing with older family members and in IN it's still generally the rule that the main sport and focus of budgets for schools is on the bball program, which means it has the best coaches. I think that did have an impact. I think with all the specialized coaching and AAU that probably has been watered down, but I still don't think it's entirely without merit. I would agree, we need the best talent and players, but if they are relatively equal, I would take the IN kids too.

Reactions: All4You and ufo33

What difference does the order make?? It appears that he could be a great ambassador for IU and maybe he will be the catalyst to bring a four or five to IU.

Reactions: kkott
The order makes a difference in my view. Let's see what happens for 2020. Really hope I am way off base and I will be the first to say so. We need a very strong class in 2020

He actually played really well, like best on the team this past summer for Indy Elite which had Leal and 5 star Lander at the point.

Ave over 16ppg, shot over 60% from the field and hit around 42% of his 3's (21 makes over 17 games) for a team that I think won a national AAU title (but don't quote me on that). They did well as a team.

He's an Indiana kid, in the serious running for Mr. Basketball, coach's son, who is a four year recruit.

At worst we have a better offensive minded McRoberts.

At best I've seen Dane Fife comparisons as far as overall game and mental makeup.

He's a very solid pickup who should help us win and be a high character rep of the program.

Love it. Now F it, let's get Leal too while we're at it.
Based on all this , Ima guess he’s white.

Now all those Mathias comparisons , even though he isn’t a great shooter, are starting to make more sense. At least he’s not Brian cardinal. (I despise Purdue comps.)

I think AAU has muted it to some degree, but after I moved out of state (OH and NC), I played pickup with alot of decent players including many high school players and I still think the level of bball knowledge and awareness was always higher with IN kids. They grow up playing with older family members and in IN it's still generally the rule that the main sport and focus of budgets for schools is on the bball program, which means it has the best coaches. I think that did have an impact. I think with all the specialized coaching and AAU that probably has been watered down, but I still don't think it's entirely without merit. I would agree, we need the best talent and players, but if they are relatively equal, I would take the IN kids too.
This is just BS local bias. Indiana kids aren’t any smarter from a basketball standpoint than kids from Florida, South Dakota, or Hawaii.

They’re kids. They’re a product of their upbringing, their coaching, their work ethic. The state boundaries they were born in is completely irrelevant.

This is just BS local bias. Indiana kids aren’t any smarter from a basketball standpoint than kids from Florida, South Dakota, or Hawaii.

They’re kids. They’re a product of their upbringing, their coaching, their work ethic. The state boundaries they were born in is completely irrelevant.

Until you see the number of kids producing not only at the D1 level but in the NBA from Indiana when compared to either of those states. It's all about culture. Why do you see dozens of native Hawaiians playing at big time D1 football school and littered across the NFL but not for basketball? Because football is pretty damn big in Hawaii, just as basketball is in Indiana.

Until you see the number of kids producing not only at the D1 level but in the NBA from Indiana when compared to either of those states. It's all about culture. Why do you see dozens of native Hawaiians playing at big time D1 football school and littered across the NFL but not for basketball? Because football is pretty damn big in Hawaii, just as basketball is in Indiana.
Then look at this Power Class Of 2021 and give me a State by state run down.

I say this because the top Indiana kids were no where near where I figured they’d be given all the hype I see here of that class. I’d say the 2019 class was better, at least in top end talent, and Archie pretty much whiffed. Actually I’d say he sort of only fouled out.

Then look at this Power Class Of 2021 and give me a State by state run down.

I say this because the top Indiana kids were no where near where I figured they’d be given all the hype I see here of that class. I’d say the 2019 class was better, at least in top end talent, and Archie pretty much whiffed. Actually I’d say he sort of only fouled out.

I'm not talking just the top end talent. I'm speaking to the depth that Indiana routinely produces top to bottom. There's been an AA from the state of Indiana every year but 4 years since 2000, sometimes multiple. Pound for Pound Indiana is one of the best basketball producing states for high school talent in the nation. No need to get fancy when there is a plethora of talent at your disposal. Guys like Galloway and Leal are going to be terrific 4 year collegiate players. Mesh those with the guys like TJD from the class prior and hopefully land blue chip recruits like Lander and Kauffman/Furst and IU will be competing for B10 titles and deep tourney runs sooner than you think. Not a tough formula to figure out.

I'm not talking just the top end talent. I'm speaking to the depth that Indiana routinely produces top to bottom. There's been an AA from the state of Indiana every year but 4 years since 2000, sometimes multiple. Pound for Pound Indiana is one of the best basketball producing states for high school talent in the nation. No need to get fancy when there is a plethora of talent at your disposal. Guys like Galloway and Leal are going to be terrific 4 year collegiate players. Mesh those with the guys like TJD from the class prior and hopefully land blue chip recruits like Lander and Kauffman/Furst and IU will be competing for B10 titles and deep tourney runs sooner than you think. Not a tough formula to figure out.
Sounds like a roster that’s battling in the NIT more than the NCAAT.

Reactions: beenther1s
You said they’re smarter. That’s just BS bias. I agree the emphasis on basketball in Indiana is stronger than most places, but players aren’t just inherently smarter.

I agree.

You are missing the main point. Kids get better coaching and fundamentals are stressed as well as the team game is taught. Many times by a father, older brother, other family member or even friend or neighbor. In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You said they’re smarter. That’s just BS bias. I agree the emphasis on basketball in Indiana is stronger than most places, but players aren’t just inherently smarter.

They’re fundamentally better because they’re taught and instructed better growing up. Just like kids from Minnesota are inherently better at hockey than kids from Indiana. Why is this even a question?

The order makes a difference in my view. Let's see what happens for 2020. Really hope I am way off base and I will be the first to say so. We need a very strong class in 2020

Yes, it would be great if we could wrap up a slew of 5 stars early... but that's the exception not the rule. These kids generally think it's in their best interest to wait and insure stability of the coaching staff and rosters. I doubt they care what your preference is. Getting an in-state kid who wants to be here, will help recruit others and is a proven winner is pretty sweet. Remember both Romeo and TJD were the last additions to their respective classes I believe. This is a good first get, but if we don't sign higher ranked players, that could signal a problem.

Reactions: Al Bino
They’re fundamentally better because they’re taught and instructed better growing up. Just like kids from Minnesota are inherently better at hockey than kids from Indiana. Why is this even a question?
This is not a question, it is fact.

Yes, it would be great if we could wrap up a slew of 5 stars early... but that's the exception not the rule. These kids generally think it's in their best interest to wait and insure stability of the coaching staff and rosters. I doubt they care what your preference is. Getting an in-state kid who wants to be here, will help recruit others and is a proven winner is pretty sweet. Remember both Romeo and TJD were the last additions to their respective classes I believe. This is a good first get, but if we don't sign higher ranked players, that could signal a problem.[/

Again, it would be nice to see some four star gets early on. A three star as your first is not a strong start no matter how impressive the young man is.. The coach has to sell himself first. That is just a fact.

ADVERTISEMENT