ADVERTISEMENT

We have a lot of offers out there, but are we actually in the lead with anyone?

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
It seems like we're 2nd tier with those outside IN that have been offered, and neither Leal nor Galloway has jumped at the chance to be wearing the candy stripes.

I made this point before, but it got shot down by @TR32 as "entitled" point of view: An in-state star may well choose to play out-of-state ball, just to get out of state. Anthony Leal, last I read, has a very high GPA, and is heavily sought after by both Stanford and Northwestern. Who knows, he may want to graduate from a superior school, academically speaking, and only then try for NBA. Let's hope otherwise.

It seems like we're 2nd tier with those outside IN that have been offered, and neither Leal nor Galloway has jumped at the chance to be wearing the candy stripes.

Wouldn’t say we’re second tier with Cross, Loveday, or Diarra who are all out of state.

You never really know where you stand until they commit. These are 17-18 year old young men who are still sorting things out in terms of which program appeals most to them and academics.

I made this point before, but it got shot down by @TR32 as "entitled" point of view: An in-state star may well choose to play out-of-state ball, just to get out of state. Anthony Leal, last I read, has a very high GPA, and is heavily sought after by both Stanford and Northwestern. Who knows, he may want to graduate from a superior school, academically speaking, and only then try for NBA. Let's hope otherwise.

Fall signing period is still a ways off.

It’s July 17th. IU has the same number of commits as Kentucky and Kansas combined and the same number of signed players as every team in the country (both zero). It’s July 17th.

This times 1000.

Do people here not know how to read a calendar? I didn't realize if we don't get at least one verbal commit a month it must mean that recruiting is a dumpster fire.

Oh by the way, the next move after we sign recruits is to say that they aren't any good.

We haven’t had a commit since before last season. Our recruiting sucks at the moment. We need some good news.

It would be an interesting survey of the top few hundred HS recruits. What appeals to you?
The coach, school history, academics, climate, early playing time, close to home, ring chance? I winder what order.

So when Archie signs a top 20 class this year how are you going to spin it?

Our best-case scenario class of Diarra, Cross, Leal & Galloway wouldn't be a top 20 ranked class.

Last year OSU had a class of 4, with 3 being in the top 50. They were ranked #16.

Kansas had a class of 4--#s 44, 47, 93 & 106. They were #18.

Diarra is 71, Cross 79, Leal 112, and Galloway isn't in the top 150.

I'd be very happy with that class, but it wouldn't be ranked high nationally.

Wouldn’t say we’re second tier with Cross, Loveday, or Diarra who are all out of state.

There were stories about Diarra & Loveday in the Indy Star recently. I'd say with Diarra we really are in the 1st tier right now. For a while it seemed like us v. GA. The problem is he's in no hurry to schedule visits and also waiting on other offers. With Loveday, we seem to be in a pack of 5 or 6. I didn't detect any special love for IU. It was more like we're 'trying to get him back for an official visit'....which wasn't real encouraging given he already took an unofficial visit. With Cross, it looks like us or S. Carolina, probably in the next two weeks.

Reactions: bsaus
Our best-case scenario class of Diarra, Cross, Leal & Galloway wouldn't be a top 20 ranked class.

Last year OSU had a class of 4, with 3 being in the top 50. They were ranked #16.

Kansas had a class of 4--#s 44, 47, 93 & 106. They were #18.

Diarra is 71, Cross 79, Leal 112, and Galloway isn't in the top 150.

I'd be very happy with that class, but it wouldn't be ranked high nationally.

But it would dispel the notion, "who in their right mind would want to play for Archie Miller after missing three consecutive tournaments" wouldn't it?

For what it's worth, I have a strong feeling Diarra will be closer to top 50 when it's all said and done given his recent performance at the Peach Jam finals and Galloway will be close too, if not in the top 100. May not be a top 20 class but definitely top 25 but we're arguing semantics, and these are all solid, program building players coupled with TJD, Phinisse, Franklin, and Hunter should make for a very bright future.

But it would dispel the notion, "who in their right mind would want to play for Archie Miller after missing three consecutive tournaments" wouldn't it?

For what it's worth, I have a strong feeling Diarra will be closer to top 50 when it's all said and done given his recent performance at the Peach Jam finals and Galloway will be close too, if not in the top 100. May not be a top 20 class but definitely top 25 but we're arguing semantics, and these are all solid, program building players coupled with TJD, Phinisse, Franklin, and Hunter should make for a very bright future.

It certainly would.......but you have to admit we are having a hell of a time convincing top 100-150 types from Indiana like Galloway & Leal to commit, especially since Purdue isn't a realistic option for either. At this point Archie is having to work his ass off for that borderline top 25 class. And we have to get these guys and have some moderate success this Fall to cash in on the '21 class. This is Archie's Season on the Brink.

It certainly would.......but you have to admit we are having a hell of a time convincing top 100-150 types from Indiana like Galloway & Leal to commit, especially since Purdue isn't a realistic option for either. At this point Archie is having to work his ass off for that borderline top 25 class. And we have to get these guys and have some moderate success this Fall to cash in on the '21 class. This is Archie's Season on the Brink.
Miller has, at a bare minimum, two more years at IU, even if neither includes a trip to the ncaa tournament. If he gets through four seasons without a tournament berth, he’ll be on the hot seat with Glass. Until then, he’s as safe as can be. Any notion to the contrary is both wishful and ignorant.

Again, it's July 18th. We're talking about 17-18 year old kids who are enjoying the recruiting process, not to mention making arguably the biggest decision of their lives to date. God forbid Galloway or Leal take some time to evaluate their options with their family before jumping to their conclusion. Both players are in LA right now getting ready to play for an AAU national championship and still garnishing interest from other major schools. If the fall signing period comes and goes and guys like Leal, Galloway, Diarra, Cross, etc have either verbaled or signed elsewhere then yeah I'll start to get worried. But it's July 18th.

We haven’t had a commit since before last season. Our recruiting sucks at the moment. We need some good news.
Joey Brunk says hi.

Also, the trend the last few years he been recruits taking longer and even dragging their recruitment into the spring/ summer of their Sr. year. You really can’t blame them with all the coaching changes, early entireties and wanting to see who will be on the roster of their choice.

Reactions: minneman
Again, it's July 18th. We're talking about 17-18 year old kids who are enjoying the recruiting process, not to mention making arguably the biggest decision of their lives to date. God forbid Galloway or Leal take some time to evaluate their options with their family before jumping to their conclusion. Both players are in LA right now getting ready to play for an AAU national championship and still garnishing interest from other major schools. If the fall signing period comes and goes and guys like Leal, Galloway, Diarra, Cross, etc have either verbaled or signed elsewhere then yeah I'll start to get worried. But it's July 18th.
Even if all three commit to IU, that’s hardly a difference making class. It’s not a bad one by any stretch, but it’s not transformative in any way, and it’s not likely to form the foundation for any sort of upward movement in the program relative to either the Big 10 “haves” or the elites nationally. It would be a nice class and representative of the level that IU basketball has settled into.

Reactions: moneyadvisor
Joey Brunk says hi.

Also, the trend the last few years he been recruits taking longer and even dragging their recruitment into the spring/ summer of their Sr. year. You really can’t blame them with all the coaching changes, early entireties and wanting to see who will be on the roster of their choice.

I thought that was common sense but apparently not.

I don’t like Galloway game at all. Take Cross, and leal and build around those two.

its still early, but obviously the midseason free fall last year didn't help this issue one bit. Nov 2019-Feb 2020 will be the most important 4 months we've seen at IU in a long time, regarding the program's future over the next 5-10 yrs. IMHO.

If I were a recruit (or a parent), I would be interested in seeing how our coming season plays out before making a final decision. If you commit now, and IU is struggling mid Feb and booing inside the Hall during games, you would be second guessing yourself.

Reactions: IUgradman
Even if all three commit to IU, that’s hardly a difference making class. It’s not a bad one by any stretch, but it’s not transformative in any way, and it’s not likely to form the foundation for any sort of upward movement in the program relative to either the Big 10 “haves” or the elites nationally. It would be a nice class and representative of the level that IU basketball has settled into.

Bull. You probably need one immediate impact player for 2020-2021 season. You're going to have:

PG Phinisee Jr.---3 year starter
SG Durham Sr.---3 year starter
SF/Wing Smith/Hunter/Franklin...Smith as a Sr or Hunter who has been in the program 3 years
PF TJD So.---Mcdonald's AA
C Brunk 5th yr

That will be one of the most experienced teams in the B10 if not the country. Leal and Galloway will absolutely be 3-4 year players and the guys you WANT starting for your program as upperclassmen. Throw in a Loveday to develop behind Brunk + guys like Thompson, Anderson, etc who have experience coming off the bench and IU is fine for 2020-2021 without signing any big time prospects. The 2021 class is where IU is going to make or break it. Furst, Lander, and potentially Kauffman are all day 1 starters and none of them are likely OAD.

I just want wins. IU has had highly ranked recruiting classes in the past that bombed.

Joey Brunk says hi.

To that you add IU’s chronic underachievement as a program and the uncertainty that accompanies that and it creates a dilemma for recruits that makes early commitments unlikely.

Bull. You probably need one immediate impact player for 2020-2021 season. You're going to have:

PG Phinisee Jr.---3 year starter
SG Durham Sr.---3 year starter
SF/Wing Smith/Hunter/Franklin...Smith as a Sr or Hunter who has been in the program 3 years
PF TJD So.---Mcdonald's AA
C Brunk 5th yr

That will be one of the most experienced teams in the B10 if not the country. Leal and Galloway will absolutely be 3-4 year players and the guys you WANT starting for your program as upperclassmen. Throw in a Loveday to develop behind Brunk + guys like Thompson, Anderson, etc who have experience coming off the bench and IU is fine for 2020-2021 without signing any big time prospects. The 2021 class is where IU is going to make or break it. Furst, Lander, and potentially Kauffman are all day 1 starters and none of them are likely OAD.
Experienced, but not particularly talented. If s not a squad that strikes fear in anyone other than those of us who want IU to be elite again.

Reactions: IUgradman
I don’t like Galloway game at all. Take Cross, and leal and build around those two.

What is there not to like about Galloway's game? He's big, strong, and deceptively athletic and has an extremely high basketball IU. If IU passes on him, watch him go play for Ohio State, Michigan State, or Nebraska and let him burn us. Wouldn't be the first time an Indiana player who doesn't have a high national ranking comes back to bite us.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Experienced, but not particularly talented. If s not a squad that strikes fear in anyone other than those of us who want IU to be elite again.

You don't think Phinisee will be playing at an All-B10 level as a Jr/Sr? TJD as a sophomore? Hunter a former top 50 recruit assuming he comes back healthy?You need role players as well and nothing screams role player like a 5th year Brunk and a Sr Durham. There's only 2-3 teams in the country who start a 5* at every position and it's never going to be IU.

Reactions: Montana48
Those were before last season. Maybe take a break and observe for a bit.
Maybe you should take a break. Your bridge called and they're missing their troll.
Seriously, I rarely comment on here, mostly read, but you never have anything good to say and you constantly attack those who do show some optimism.
Take a break and learn to chill!

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy and Moops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT