ADVERTISEMENT

We are not a good team.

Our defense cannot keep giving up 30 plus points a game. Our offense is not good enough to overcome that.
WKU sure has a fun offense to watch.

Reactions: Sophie1970
More than anything else, I just think the team is mentally weak. That came through loud and clear against Cincinnati and it reared it’s head again this week. ON THE OTHERHAND, Penix, Fryfogle, and Carr were very clutch down the stretch last night. Maybe this team still has some life in them yet. We’ll find out real quick next Saturday…

More than anything else, I just think the team is mentally weak. That came through loud and clear against Cincinnati and it reared it’s head again this week. ON THE OTHERHAND, Penix, Fryfogle, and Carr were very clutch down the stretch last night. Maybe this team still has some life in them yet. We’ll find out real quick next Saturday…
Team is not bad, next week won’t end well though.

The program doesn't need t

Exposed by a 2-2 record with both losses against Top 10 teams???

FFS.
I'm not much for what we should have, could have done, but let's face it, if McFadden stayed in the Cincy game, I really didn't see the Bearcats coming back. So we should be 3-1 with a bad loss to a highly ranked (if overrated) Iowa. I think a Western Kentucky with that QB is the type of club that could knock off a top-10 team; I have to look at their schedule. While a lot of the consensus on here is that we struggled with a Conference USA team, I don't see it that way. In fact, in addition to their quarterback, they had some big, fast, explosive players, and I thought they were solid on both the OL and DL. This was a nail-biter, but not like a Florida International or Ball State game of yore.

Except for maybe the weather, I can't see how USC would be a better gig than PSU. Of course, big money talks loud.
I don't have the answer for the obvious follow up question, but if I am psu I think I can do a lot better than Franklin. He has never really impressed me.

I'm not much for what we should have, could have done, but let's face it, if McFadden stayed in the Cincy game, I really didn't see the Bearcats coming back. So we should be 3-1 with a bad loss to a highly ranked (if overrated) Iowa. I think a Western Kentucky with that QB is the type of club that could knock off a top-10 team; I have to look at their schedule. While a lot of the consensus on here is that we struggled with a Conference USA team, I don't see it that way. In fact, in addition to their quarterback, they had some big, fast, explosive players, and I thought they were solid on both the OL and DL. This was a nail-biter, but not like a Florida International or Ball State game of yore.
But he didn’t stay in the game and we got beat.
You can use the ‘if this or that didn’t happen we would have won’ excuse every game.
It was targeting.he’s a senior and has to be smarter than that.
With the way the Penn St game ended last year no way they overlook us.
Most likely will be 2-3 with games coming up against undefeated Mich St and Ohio St.

You can use the ‘if this or that didn’t happen we would have won’ excuse every game.
Most likely will be 2-3 with games coming up against undefeated Mich St and Ohio St.
PSU and OSU will be tall orders. Michigan State has done nothing impressive to date. Wins over 3 terrible teams and an equally mediocre Miami are pretty meaningless. In fact, Miami might be the most overrated team in America this season. MSU is getting way too much credit at the moment.

Except for maybe the weather, I can't see how USC would be a better gig than PSU. Of course, big money talks loud.
USC is a better job than Penn State except for that reason, they are penny pinchers. They'll always attract talent due to their history and proximity but they are extremely behind the times in the arms race needed to be an elite program these days. Penn State will be able to match USC dollar for dollar and then some for Franklin, but will they?

WKU had a very impressive QB and some nice WRs, but I hated our defensive plan. Giving them the 8-9 1st down pass to the sidelines for 3 quarters was a horrible plan. When we went to 1 deep safety and moved the corners up we fared much better.

As far as their D went, we had wide open receivers all night. That hadn't happened in any of our prior games, even v. Idaho.

So, I think that business of beating a top 10 team is a stretch. Right now we look like a top 35-40 team, and we pulled it out.

Reactions: bang63
Hi guys- Penn State fan here.

The last couple of seasons have shown, once again, that there can be a slim margin between success and no success. McFadden doesn't get ejected and maybe you're 3-1 with a win over Cincinnati while, on the other hand, if the ball bounces differently PSU could be 3-1 or 2-2 (just look at the Wisconsin game- the QB fumble in the red zone).

In that case, the conversation about this upcoming game would be a lot different. Last year IU killed it in turnover margin and had success. Penn State on the other hand, our quarterback was throwing interceptions and as you know, PSU's season went the other way. This year Penn State has cleaned that up so far and- viola- close wins over two ranked (at the time) teams and a high ranking.

So- long story short- this game could go either way but PSU is feeling good, has momentum and is at home so they're favored but one or two critical errors can determine who wins and loses. I can assure you that, especially after last year, Penn State is focused on this game. Last year's game was probably the one that sent Penn State's season into a tailspin....

Last edited:
I don't have the answer for the obvious follow up question, but if I am psu I think I can do a lot better than Franklin. He has never really impressed me.

Sure, lucked into a cushy job at Vanderbilt and compiled a 24-15 record and after struggling to a 14-12 record his first two seasons he’s gone 50-16
inckuding for straight losses to begin the Covid season. Throw the Bum out!

The last couple of seasons have shown, once again, that there can be a slim margin between success and no success. McFadden doesn't get ejected and maybe you're 3-1 with a win over Cincinnati while, on the other hand, if the ball bounces differently PSU could be 3-1 or 2-2 (just look at the Wisconsin game- the QB fumble in the red zone).

In that case, the conversation about this upcoming game would be a lot different. Last year IU killed it in turnover margin and had success. Penn State on the other hand, our quarterback was throwing interceptions and as you know, PSU's season went the other way. This year Penn State has cleaned that up so far and- viola- close wins over two ranked (at the time) teams and a high ranking.

So- long story short- this game could go either way but PSU is feeling good, has momentum and is at home so they're favored but one or two critical errors can determine who wins and loses. I can assure you that, especially after last year, Penn State is focused on this game. Last year's game was probably the one that sent Penn State's season into a tailspin....
Good to see a reasonable Penn State fan. Last years game was bizzare to say the least and had Franklin not made the crucial error late; PS wins that game. It will be tough with 100K liquored up fans on hand.

That's about the most objective view of PSU and IU's program right now and completely agree. IU isn't as bad as advertised.

But last year, honestly PSU dominated IU - total yardage was 488 to 211. PSU had a RB run into the end zone that gave IU a chance.

I think if IU wins the turnover battle by at least 2 and they have a shot, but I'm also more than a little peeved IU opened up as an 11.5 underdog. That isn't right.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
I deleted my post in this thread. It was inappropriate. And I think it is pathetic that a PUke fan is liking posts here, as if their program is so great.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
I think this is correct. I have a tendency to be a pessimist, so I hope I am wrong.

That's about the most objective view of PSU and IU's program right now and completely agree. IU isn't as bad as advertised.

But last year, honestly PSU dominated IU - total yardage was 488 to 211. PSU had a RB run into the end zone that gave IU a chance.

I think if IU wins the turnover battle by at least 2 and they have a shot, but I'm also more than a little peeved IU opened up as an 11.5 underdog. That isn't right.
IU was due some luck… I admire iu..they try to athlete up and play, Iowa and Wisconsin try to take the the air out of the ball and run 4 corners.. they don’t even try to play straight up and it limits their upside.

I respect cta way more than Chryst, who is basically the Ed orgeron of the big. Wisky is in a downward spiral—a tighter spiral than their crap qb’s can throw.

Penix is a playground qb with limited vision and game feel, you guys should have moved on years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT