ADVERTISEMENT

We are doomed

• Thread starter anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
  • Start date
A

anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

If our youth complains about this, and it gets a professor at a B School suspended, we are completely doomed.

FYI, I’ve heard these filler words in conversations with my Chinese colleagues in the past and I never even associated the words with the terrible word.

get a grip, people. Sorry for the s___post.

Reminds me of the uproar a number of years ago when a DC muninciple official of some sort (black, IIIRC) used the term "niggardly" in reference to a budgeting concern.

If our youth complains about this, and it gets a professor at a B School suspended, we are completely doomed.

FYI, I’ve heard these filler words in conversations with my Chinese colleagues in the past and I never even associated the words with the terrible word.

Yeah I saw this and thought it was too stupid to actually think about. Come on USC. This makes you look dumb.

I guess what you're saying is that being civilized requires us not to view all things from a single lens? That we might offer what Christians used to call "grace" to others who might or might not have strayed across a line that we've become accustomed to, or that has become a cultural norm for some?

Of course, I don't mean to put words in your mouth . . . .

I guess what you're saying is that being civilized requires us not to view all things from a single lens? That we might offer what Christians used to call "grace" to others who might or might not have strayed across a line that we've become accustomed to, or that has become a cultural norm for some?
Why complicate it? How about we just not be stupid about shit?

Sounds like he needs microaggression training. How can we expect American students to understand cultural context?

I am aggrieved anytime I see a person from outside that ethnicity/origin cooking that food in a commercial setting. E.g. the non-asian cooks at PandEx and Peiwei. I am also aggrieved that the food presented is in itself inauthentic. Non-Italians should not open Italian restaurants and non-Mexicans should not open Mexican restaurants.

Your words are too eloquent for a Neanderthal like me to understand.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I’ll take those words. I like em.

Damned right . . .

. . . well, at least I'm not in IT. Those guys are the real pros at complicating things for the sake of complicating them . . . .
Well I worked in IT and I just shake my head at a lot of things. Things that could be simple are made complicated and illogical by people who have no common sense. Case in point.... I go to refill a prescription on-line and the first thing they want is the prescription number. Now if I was programming that as soon as they entered that I would check to see if they are eligible to get it (In other words is it too early, is there a refill available, etc). But not them, they want a bunch of other information on the next screen that has nothing to do with whether they are eligible to get it. After you enter all that information then they'll tell you that it's too early or there is no refills.🤥

Well I worked in IT and I just shake my head at a lot of things. Things that could be simple are made complicated and illogical by people who have no common sense. Case in point.... I go to refill a prescription on-line and the first thing they want is the prescription number. Now if I was programming that as soon as they entered that I would check to see if they are eligible to get it (In other words is it too early, is there a refill available, etc). But not them, they want a bunch of other information on the next screen that has nothing to do with whether they are eligible to get it. After you enter all that information then they'll tell you that it's too early or there is no refills.🤥
I was talking the other day with a database guy - who managed a 50+ person team - with experience in MS Entity Framework, and he said that IT folks make things way too complicated in attempts to perfect everything . . . .

I mean, the school refused to consider the context and the video in question? If this happened at Mizzou, there would probably be riots over it.

Hm. This story tells me that we have made substantial civil rights progress and much progress towards eliminating racism, whether direct or "systemic"'.

Gone are black and white schools.
Gone are black and white bathrooms and drinking fountains.
Gone are "no coloreds allowed" signs.
and more . . . .

Here we have blacks enrolled in an MBA program at prestigious institution not complaining about
lack of jobs
lack of food
lack of housing
lack of access to campus facilities
lack of access to quality education
poverty

Nooooo. Their complaint is suffering from "emotional exhaustion" from a professor lacking sensitivities. For its part the university offers "supportive services" for the suffering students. Ugh! If there ever was a first world racist issue, this is it. We have conquered blatant racism and now we are searching for it with a microscope.

Are we doomed? Perhaps. The country and it's public and private institutions will always need alpha dogs. We aren't making many of them.

Last edited:
Hm. This story tells me that we have made substantial civil rights progress and much progress towards eliminating racism, whether direct or "systemic"'.

Gone are black and white bathrooms a drinking fountain.
and more . . . .

Here we have blacks enrolled in an MBA program at prestigious institution not complaining about
lack of jobs
lack of food
lack of housing
poverty

Nooooo. Their complaint is suffering from "emotional exhaustion" from a professor lacking sensitivities. For its part the university offers "supportive services" for the suffering students. Ugh! If there ever was a first world racist issue, this is it. We have conquored blatent racism and now we are searching for it with a microscope.

Are we doomed? Perhaps. The country and itis public and private instutions will always need alpha dogs. We aren't making many of them.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Reactions: UncleMark
I was talking the other day with a database guy - who managed a 50+ person team - with experience in MS Entity Framework, and he said that IT folks make things way too complicated in attempts to perfect everything . . . .
I agree with that completely.... Keep it simple. My wife was trying to sign up for Medicare and I was watching (confused on what they wanted part of the time) and I could have made it so much simpler by just asking a simple question at the beginning and that question was "Are you still employed?". Then I could have skipped other questions about being covered in a group plan.

I agree with that completely.... Keep it simple. My wife was trying to sign up for Medicare and I was watching (confused on what they wanted part of the time) and I could have made it so much simpler by just asking a simple question at the beginning and that question was "Are you still employed?". Then I could have skipped other questions about being covered in a group plan.
Medicare!!??!!

You commie!! ;)

Reactions: NPT

Reminds me of the uproar a number of years ago when a DC muninciple official of some sort (black, IIIRC) used the term "niggardly" in reference to a budgeting concern.
I'll hold off on the outrage until we see what happens to this professor. And I'm generally of the opinion that people who take offense out of ignorance don't deserve to have their ignorance rewarded. But I will offer a though, related to the DC guy (who was white, by the way, and who came out just fine, as the counter-uproar to the original uproar was all in his favor). Communication is a two-way street, and the speaker always has to keep in mind how the listener will interpret his speech. So while I'm not of the opinion that anyone should be forced to censor himself to protect the sensibilities of the ignorant, it still might be prudent in some situations for the speaker to consider the possibility that the ignorant will misunderstand his speech, thus harming his own intended message.

To put it simply, I'd be pretty pissed if I got in trouble for saying "niggardly," but at the same time, I'm very unlikely to use the word when one of the other many synonyms of "stingy" will work just as fine.

Reactions: hoosboot
To put it simply, I'd be pretty pissed if I got in trouble for saying "niggardly," but at the same time, I'm very unlikely to use the word when one of the other many synonyms of "stingy" will work just as fine.
In today's climate that would be asking for trouble. Sad that that's the case, but as you note it's not a big deal when you have a lot of alternatives that aren't likely to cause offense. The USC prof, on the other hand, can't not say the Chinese words he's trying to explain.

In today's climate that would be asking for trouble. Sad that that's the case, but as you note it's not a big deal when you have a lot of alternatives that aren't likely to cause offense. The USC prof, on the other hand, can't not say the Chinese words he's trying to explain.

The people who complained about this are racist against Chinese. It's a vile insult against Mandarin speakers. I've maintained for awhile that the most discriminated group in this country are Asians. There is systemic discrimination against Asians, whether its the anti-Chinese/asian covid behaviors, locking Japanese in camps, or the affirmative action procedures prohibiting the most qualified asians from attending certain educational institutions due to their race.

I'll hold off on the outrage until we see what happens to this professor. And I'm generally of the opinion that people who take offense out of ignorance don't deserve to have their ignorance rewarded. But I will offer a though, related to the DC guy (who was white, by the way, and who came out just fine, as the counter-uproar to the original uproar was all in his favor). Communication is a two-way street, and the speaker always has to keep in mind how the listener will interpret his speech. So while I'm not of the opinion that anyone should be forced to censor himself to protect the sensibilities of the ignorant, it still might be prudent in some situations for the speaker to consider the possibility that the ignorant will misunderstand his speech, thus harming his own intended message.

I have to disagree. The context here was pretty damn clear and obviously ignored by the cancel culture and university officials.

Gone are black and white bathrooms and drinking fountains.
and more . . . .

lack of jobs
lack of food
lack of housing
poverty

Nooooo. Their complaint is suffering from "emotional exhaustion" from a professor lacking sensitivities. For its part the university offers "supportive services" for the suffering students. Ugh! If there ever was a first world racist issue, this is it. We have conquered blatant racism and now we are searching for it with a microscope.

Are we doomed? Perhaps. The country and it's public and private institutions will always need alpha dogs. We aren't making many of them.

This is exactly my argument:
Those who seek out “racism” in every single human experience are actually doing more to fan its flames than to extinguish it.

As I said, I'll wait to see what happens to him before I get outraged. You obviously don't have that patience.

Even if his suspension is lifted, are you going to acknowledge the ridiculousness of the current actions of the "offended" community?

In an email sent August 21 to USC administrators and obtained by National Review, a group of Patton's students identifying themselves as "Black MBA Candidates c/o 20200" wrote that the professor pronounced the word like the N-word "approximately five times," offending "all of the Black members of our Class."

The students wrote they spoke with Chinese classmates who were "appalled" by what they had heard and confirmed that the pronunciation of the word is "much different than what Professor Patton described in class."

"Our mental health has been affected," the group continued. "It is an uneasy feeling allowing him to have the power over our grades. We would rather not take his course than to endure the emotional exhaustion of carrying on with an instructor that disregards cultural diversity and sensitivities and by extension creates an unwelcome environment for us Black students."

Experts chime in, embarrassing the complainers:

The alumni, who said they represent more than a dozen nationalities and ethnicities, called Patton's example "an accurate rendition of a common Chinese use, and an entirely appropriate and quite effective illustration of the use of pauses."

The alumni wrote they were "deeply disappointed that the spurious charge has the additional feature of casting insult toward the Chinese language, the most spoken in the world, and characterized it and its usage as vile."

"We feel Marshall should be open to diversity in all areas," they wrote, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Taisu Zhang, a professor at Yale Law School, tweeted Friday that he had spoken to his USC colleagues who confirmed Patton's temporary leave.

"All I can say is, the professor's pronunciation of the Chinese phrase 'neige' was accurate, and his use of it as an example of filler language was linguistically appropriate," Zhang wrote. "It's a *very* common phrase."

Annenberg Media spoke with Kevin Park, a part-time MBA student who is of Korean descent. While Park said he hasn't personally had Patton as a professor and doesn't know if he could speak to the situation, his initial reaction to the accusation against Patton "was that it was super overdramatized."

"I don't think the professor meant harm," Park said.

Luckily, technology may aid in this embarrassment.

"Unfortunately messages have circulated that suggest ill intent, extensive previous knowledge, inaccurate events and these are factually inaccurate. Fortunate we have transcripts, audio, video, tracking of messages and a 25 year record," Patton wrote. "I have strived to best prepare students with Global, real-world and applied examples and illustrations to make the class content come alive and bring diverse voices, situations and experiences into the classroom."

The foolish won't feel apologetic until someone takes them to task for this. Something you clearly have no intention of doing.

Even if his suspension is lifted, are you going to acknowledge the ridiculousness of the current actions of the "offended" community?

In an email sent August 21 to USC administrators and obtained by National Review, a group of Patton's students identifying themselves as "Black MBA Candidates c/o 20200" wrote that the professor pronounced the word like the N-word "approximately five times," offending "all of the Black members of our Class."

The students wrote they spoke with Chinese classmates who were "appalled" by what they had heard and confirmed that the pronunciation of the word is "much different than what Professor Patton described in class."

"Our mental health has been affected," the group continued. "It is an uneasy feeling allowing him to have the power over our grades. We would rather not take his course than to endure the emotional exhaustion of carrying on with an instructor that disregards cultural diversity and sensitivities and by extension creates an unwelcome environment for us Black students."

Experts chime in, embarrassing the complainers:

The alumni, who said they represent more than a dozen nationalities and ethnicities, called Patton's example "an accurate rendition of a common Chinese use, and an entirely appropriate and quite effective illustration of the use of pauses."

The alumni wrote they were "deeply disappointed that the spurious charge has the additional feature of casting insult toward the Chinese language, the most spoken in the world, and characterized it and its usage as vile."

"We feel Marshall should be open to diversity in all areas," they wrote, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Taisu Zhang, a professor at Yale Law School, tweeted Friday that he had spoken to his USC colleagues who confirmed Patton's temporary leave.

"All I can say is, the professor's pronunciation of the Chinese phrase 'neige' was accurate, and his use of it as an example of filler language was linguistically appropriate," Zhang wrote. "It's a *very* common phrase."

Annenberg Media spoke with Kevin Park, a part-time MBA student who is of Korean descent. While Park said he hasn't personally had Patton as a professor and doesn't know if he could speak to the situation, his initial reaction to the accusation against Patton "was that it was super overdramatized."

"I don't think the professor meant harm," Park said.

Luckily, technology may aid in this embarrassment.

"Unfortunately messages have circulated that suggest ill intent, extensive previous knowledge, inaccurate events and these are factually inaccurate. Fortunate we have transcripts, audio, video, tracking of messages and a 25 year record," Patton wrote. "I have strived to best prepare students with Global, real-world and applied examples and illustrations to make the class content come alive and bring diverse voices, situations and experiences into the classroom."

The foolish won't feel apologetic until someone takes them to task for this. Something you clearly have no intention of doing.
I don't know enough about Mandarin to form a firm opinion, but I'll agree that it at least sounds ridiculous on the surface. I can think of some possible versions of reality in which these offended kids have a legitimate point, but they all seem far-fetched, so I won't lend them credence by voicing them.

Reactions: UncleMark
The people who complained about this are racist against Chinese. It's a vile insult against Mandarin speakers. I've maintained for awhile that the most discriminated group in this country are Asians. There is systemic discrimination against Asians, whether its the anti-Chinese/asian covid behaviors, locking Japanese in camps, or the affirmative action procedures prohibiting the most qualified asians from attending certain educational institutions due to their race.

You are exactly right. Asians are the most discriminated population in this country. During the Ferguson riots, the BLM deliberately targeted and destroyed a large number of Asian owned businesses in the city.

This is exactly my argument:
Those who seek out “racism” in every single human experience are actually doing more to fan its flames than to extinguish it.
As opposed to what . . . sweeping it under the rug? What I'm getting from your post is that you don't want to deal with the fact of racism . . . that you'd rather bury your head in the sand than have to look at it and acknowledge it for what it is.

As opposed to what . . . sweeping it under the rug? What I'm getting from your post is that you don't want to deal with the fact of racism . . . that you'd rather bury your head in the sand than have to look at it and acknowledge it for what it is.

As opposed to getting your self-righteous undies in a twist over a non-English word that simply sounds racist. This isn’t an example of “the fact of racism” or burying “your head in the sand.” It’s an example of stupid people trying to feel important because they aren’t smart enough to do it any other way.

Reactions: Lucy01
As opposed to getting your self-righteous undies in a twist over a non-English word that simply sounds racist. This isn’t an example of “the fact of racism” or burying “your head in the sand.” It’s an example of stupid people trying to feel important because they aren’t smart enough to do it any other way.
Piss off ankle-biter.

My question responded to BRCB's general post with a general question . . . it had nothing to do with the suspension of the USC prof . . . .

BTW, do you have your woolies on today? Flannel? I was thinking about you when I heard Denver was going from 91 as a high yesterday to 28 with snow this morning.

BTW, do you have your woolies on today? Flannel? I was thinking about you when I heard Denver was going from 91 as a high yesterday to 28 with snow this morning.

It's insane how quickly the weather changed in that part of the country. SIL and BIL are camping in Jackson Hole area - luckily with a camper and not a tent.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Piss off ankle-biter.

My question responded to BRCB's general post with a general question . . . it had nothing to do with the suspension of the USC prof . . . .

Aaaaaaand, global warming is debunked. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Piss off ankle-biter.

The weather change is very welcome. The Front Range from Denver to Fort Collins has been blanketed in smoke and ash from the Cameron Peak Fire for a couple of weeks. This dose of winter should help put it out. Next week back to the 80’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT