ADVERTISEMENT

We are cruisin for a bruisin

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Earlier in the pandemic it was possible to look at our response and say, well, if you ignore all the countries who are obviously kicking our ass, and you compare us only to Europe, then we’ve had fewer deaths per capita than the worst of Europe, so maybe we don’t completely suck. This was never the right way to see it, and the correct way to see it is that we were getting our asses kicked as a result of manifest incompetence.

We sacrificed three months so our government could create the infrastructure that would allow us to return in relative safety. Trump spent that time doing exactly nothing, so now we’re re-emerging into the same dystopia we hid from — except now we won’t wear masks, and we’re resentful of staying home.

I am so tired of all the winning.

Earlier in the pandemic it was possible to look at our response and say, well, if you ignore all the countries who are obviously kicking our ass, and you compare us only to Europe, then we’ve had fewer deaths per capita than the worst of Europe, so maybe we don’t completely suck. This was never the right way to see it, and the correct way to see it is that we were getting our asses kicked as a result of manifest incompetence.

We sacrificed three months so our government could create the infrastructure that would allow us to return in relative safety. Trump spent that time doing exactly nothing, so now we’re re-emerging into the same dystopia we hid from — except now we won’t wear masks, and we’re resentful of staying home.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/fda...ctiveness-of-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir.html

Then you have the head of the task force, Mullah Mike (but some people call him Pious Mike) flat out lying to curry favours with the Fool.

The numbers are starting to bump up again in quite a few states. And you wonder if a 2nd Wave is inevitable? Need to get out of the 1st Wave first.

Indiana’s numbers are pretty flat right now. Talked to a couple medical people who have told me now is the time to get a little safe socializing in: outside, distancing, masks. They think it will get really bad again even before summer is over.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

Hydroxychloroquine: US revokes emergency approval of malaria drug for Covid-19
Food and Drug Administration says drug is unlikely to work against coronavirus and notes heart risks

And you wonder why the country is in danger with regards to the pandemic. The Fool prefers to ignore the findings of his own scientists and professionals/agencies -- and muddy up the water further just to avoid looking the person he naturally is, The Fool:

Last edited:
I see the president said yesterday that the only reason we have new cases is because we test so much.

Now I know what he is trying, so poorly, to say. He is trying to say our rate is higher because we catch more. But there are two measures that do not involve testing, hospitalizations and deaths. The US is doing terrible in both.

MASH once said having Henry Blake in command was like going to the bridge of the Titanic and finding Daffy Duck in command. It seems a fitting comparison today.

Reactions: bigmac76 and MrBing
Complaining about coronavirus from you guys should stop as you did zero complaining about mass spreader events.

You’re just hypocrites looking to bash trump, whether he deserves it or not, you’re hypocrites.

Why no hysteria from you Nancys when thousands of people gathered shoulder to
shoulder, screaming and yelling?

Reactions: Seyton
Complaining about coronavirus from you guys should stop as you did zero complaining about mass spreader events.

You’re just hypocrites looking to bash trump, whether he deserves it or not, you’re hypocrites.

Yes, many of the leftists here are 24 karat hypocrites, but Trump deserves every speck of criticism he gets. They just turn a blind eye when looking the other direction.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
What do you guys think of this? Looks like a super spreader event to me? Surprised I didn’t read on this here

Everything I've read and the data seems to suggest you're at quite a bit less risk outside than inside.

We'll see what happens with the Memorial Day spike & protests

Anyway some people acting dumb doesn't mean the other people have an excuse to just ignore all the CDC's suggestions.

Everything I've read and the data seems to suggest you're at quite a bit less risk outside than inside.

We'll see what happens with the Memorial Day spike & protests

Anyway some people acting dumb doesn't mean the other people have an excuse to just ignore all the CDC's suggestions.

less risk outdoors than indoors sure, but if you’re packed shoulder to shoulder....how much does that closeness negate the benefit of being outdoors?

I don’t disagree with the last sentence but I just hate hate hate the hypocrisy of the news media and liberals (I don’t know any conservatives who have demonstrated hypocrisy on this issue)

lockdown for thee but not for me

"Vice President Mike Pence urged the nation’s governors to share misleading facts about ongoing coronavirus outbreaks in some states during a private call on Monday, according to multiple reports.

During the call, Pence, who leads the White House’s coronavirus task force, downplayed increases in COVID-19 diagnoses in some regions, claiming they were simply “intermittent” spikes of the virus. He later pushed the administration talking point touted by President Donald Trump that the higher figures were merely due to an increase in testing, not actually higher rates of infection. Data, however, shows that seven-day averages of new cases have increased in at least six states since May 31.

“I would just encourage you all, as we talk about these things, to make sure and continue to explain to your citizens the magnitude of increase in testing,” Pence said on the call, according to a recording obtained by The New York Times. “And that in most of the cases where we are seeing some marginal rise in number, that’s more resolved by the extraordinary work you’re doing.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/pence-governors-coronavirus-call-045500893.html

i don’t have a problem with that....or the large gathering

I have a problem with two sets of rules being applied dependent upon your political view

What rules are you talking about? You're complaining because you think people here were hypocritical. But the reality is there was no way cities or states could shut down the BLM protests without inflaming the situation.

As for the LIBERATE protesters, everyone recognized many people were taking a financial hit from the quarantines. What did the protests really accomplish? But no one shut them down either, although they probably could have.

What rules are you talking about? You're complaining because you think people here were hypocritical. But the reality is there was no way cities or states could shut down the BLM protests without inflaming the situation.

As for the LIBERATE protesters, everyone recognized many people were taking a financial hit from the quarantines. What did the protests really accomplish? But no one shut them down either, although they probably could have.

I believe the issue you have is when the medical field comes out and says that the protests are basically A-okay because they support that social issue and the virus be damned, well, it kind of destroys their authority after all of those protests had died down. In many of these large cities you saw massive amounts of people smashed in together and almost nobody gave a rip about the fact that they could be spreading the virus.

Nobody is going to listen until bodies start dropping again, why? Because the medical community basically told everyone that the virus does not matter as much.

When measuring the degree of hypocrisy by those who demanded strict adherence to protection against Covid 19 and then forgave protesters willing to join large crowds, a person should take the timing of the onset of the virus and the Floyd killing into account.

By the time of the Floyd killing a good many communities had began to return to normalcy. Fear and precaution were disappearing even among those who were super cautious as casualties were on the upswing.

When measuring the degree of hypocrisy by those who demanded strict adherence to protection against Covid 19 and then forgave protesters willing to join large crowds, a person should take the timing of the onset of the virus and the Floyd killing into account.

By the time of the Floyd killing a good many communities had began to return to normalcy. Fear and precaution were disappearing even among those who were super cautious as casualties were on the upswing.

sure

Apparently the response from the right to my point that Trump's colossal failure will gratuitously inflict not only enormous suffering and death, but also a much deeper and longer economic contraction, is this: BUT THE PROTESTERS!!! Whatever the impact of the protests (and I assume there will be one), it's abundantly clear that our federal government is massively failing us.

British economist Simon Wren Lewis is writing about Boris Johnson's abject failure, but he might as well be writing about Trump's:

Just a short post to advertise my Guardian article ‘Fear of coronavirus, not lockdown, is the biggest threat to the UK's economy’. The key point I make is that the economy would suffer badly even if there was no lockdown. People, once they realised the extent of the threat, would stay at home. The three reasons I give for imposing a lockdown are classic reasons in economics for state intervention.
  1. The state has an information advantage

The government, because it talks directly to top scientists, can see the pandemic coming a lot faster than the majority of people. That didn’t work out too well in the UK, where people were leading the government, but if the state functioned well this would be true.

2. The state deals with externalities

While the majority of people would stay at home in a pandemic, many others might take risks. Whether the state should allow individuals that freedom is an interesting question, but that is not the point here. Because risky individuals can interact with others who are rightly being cautious, they create an externality which a lockdown avoids.

3. The state supports individuals in a recession

There is a classic Keynesian role here. In this case it goes further, because it allows people to stay at home who might otherwise feel compelled to work and endanger themselves and others.
A benign government would lockdown quickly and hard, and get new infections down to a sufficiently low level such that the vast majority of people feel comfortable resuming their social consumption. It would have a local and well trained track, trace and isolate regime (TTI) in place to deal with any new flare-ups once lockdown was lifted. That would enable lockdown to be lifted once daily new infections were low.

That optimal strategy leads to a short sharp economic downturn, but an equally swift recovery that should be V shaped. The UK has departed from this optimal strategy in almost every respect. It delayed the lockdown, which automatically means that the lockdown is going to have to last longer. It failed to deal with externalities by not properly protecting health and care workers. It farmed TTI out to an inexperienced private contractor, so the TTI infrastructure will not be fully operational until September/October! It is chipping away at the lockdown before new infections are low enough, which raises R and prolongs the lockdown. The result is more deaths, but also a bigger and more prolonged recession, and a slower recovery.
The Trump administration has done exactly nothing on any of these fronts and has instead left it to the states to fend for themselves. This is also terrible from a macroeconomic perspective. States simply will not have the resources to do what needs to be done. As incomes fall and sales decline, so will state income and sales tax revenue. Unlike the federal government, which can fund deficits by borrowing at negative real interest rates, states must slash spending on everything to keep their budgets balanced.

Meanwhile, despite multiple studies concluding that widespread mask usage could stop the virus in its tracks, Trump's administration does nothing to ensure that everyone has masks. Worse, Trump himself mocks the idea, and since the Trumpbots must ape whatever President Dunning-Kruger does, mask-wearing has itself become politicized.

And now Trump plans to pack capacity crowds into closed arenas in states like Oklahoma and Arizona where new cases are on the rise. To feed his vanity.

On the other hand, THE PROTESTERS!!!

Good grief.

Last edited:
Apparently the response to my point that Trump's colossal failure will gratuitously inflict not only enormous suffering and death, but also a much deeper and longer economic contraction, the reaction from the right is apparently: BUT THE PROTESTERS!!! Whatever the impact of the protests (and I assume there will be one), it's abundantly clear that our federal government is massively failing us.

British economist Simon Wren Lewis is writing about Boris Johnson's abject failure, but he might as well be writing about Trump's:

Just a short post to advertise my Guardian article ‘Fear of coronavirus, not lockdown, is the biggest threat to the UK's economy’. The key point I make is that the economy would suffer badly even if there was no lockdown. People, once they realised the extent of the threat, would stay at home. The three reasons I give for imposing a lockdown are classic reasons in economics for state intervention.
  1. The state has an information advantage

The government, because it talks directly to top scientists, can see the pandemic coming a lot faster than the majority of people. That didn’t work out too well in the UK, where people were leading the government, but if the state functioned well this would be true.

2. The state deals with externalities

While the majority of people would stay at home in a pandemic, many others might take risks. Whether the state should allow individuals that freedom is an interesting question, but that is not the point here. Because risky individuals can interact with others who are rightly being cautious, they create an externality which a lockdown avoids.

3. The state supports individuals in a recession

There is a classic Keynesian role here. In this case it goes further, because it allows people to stay at home who might otherwise feel compelled to work and endanger themselves and others.
A benign government would lockdown quickly and hard, and get new infections down to a sufficiently low level such that the vast majority of people feel comfortable resuming their social consumption. It would have a local and well trained track, trace and isolate regime (TTI) in place to deal with any new flare-ups once lockdown was lifted. That would enable lockdown to be lifted once daily new infections were low.

That optimal strategy leads to a short sharp economic downturn, but an equally swift recovery that should be V shaped. The UK has departed from this optimal strategy in almost every respect. It delayed the lockdown, which automatically means that the lockdown is going to have to last longer. It failed to deal with externalities by not properly protecting health and care workers. It farmed TTI out to an inexperienced private contractor, so the TTI infrastructure will not be fully operational until September/October! It is chipping away at the lockdown before new infections are low enough, which raises R and prolongs the lockdown. The result is more deaths, but also a bigger and more prolonged recession, and a slower recovery.
The Trump administration has done exactly nothing on any of these fronts and has instead left it to the states to fend for themselves. This is also terrible from a macroeconomic perspective. States simply will not have the resources to do what needs to be done. As incomes fall and sales decline, so will state income and sales tax revenue. Unlike the federal government, which can fund deficits by borrowing at negative real interest rates, states must slash spending on everything to keep their budgets balanced.

Meanwhile, despite multiple studies concluding that widespread mask usage could stop the virus in its tracks, Trump's administration does nothing to ensure that everyone has masks. Worse, Trump himself mocks the idea, and since the Trumpbots must ape whatever President Dunning-Kruger does, mask-wearing has itself become politicized.

And now Trump plans to pack capacity crowds into closed arenas in states like Oklahoma and Arizona where new cases are on the rise. To feed his vanity.

On the other hand, THE PROTESTERS!!!

Good grief.

fu ck ur lockdown. It’s over nerd deal with it

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
"Vice President Mike Pence urged the nation’s governors to share misleading facts about ongoing coronavirus outbreaks in some states during a private call on Monday, according to multiple reports.

During the call, Pence, who leads the White House’s coronavirus task force, downplayed increases in COVID-19 diagnoses in some regions, claiming they were simply “intermittent” spikes of the virus. He later pushed the administration talking point touted by President Donald Trump that the higher figures were merely due to an increase in testing, not actually higher rates of infection. Data, however, shows that seven-day averages of new cases have increased in at least six states since May 31.

“I would just encourage you all, as we talk about these things, to make sure and continue to explain to your citizens the magnitude of increase in testing,” Pence said on the call, according to a recording obtained by The New York Times. “And that in most of the cases where we are seeing some marginal rise in number, that’s more resolved by the extraordinary work you’re doing.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/pence-governors-coronavirus-call-045500893.html
The administration's response to a global pandemic is a political campaign of misinformation and lies. It's despicable.

Record spike in new coronavirus cases reported in six U.S. states as reopening accelerates

New coronavirus infections hit record highs in six U.S. states on Tuesday, marking a rising tide of cases for a second consecutive week as most states moved forward with reopening their economies.

Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas all reported record increases in new cases on Tuesday after recording all-time highs last week. Nevada also reported its highest single-day tally of new cases on Tuesday, up from a previous high on May 23. Hospitalizations are also rising or at record highs.

At Arizona’s Tucson Medical Center on Monday, just a single intensive care unit (ICU) bed designated for COVID-19 patients was available, with the other 19 beds filled, a hospital representative said.

“ICU to be expanded, hopefully, in coming days,” Dr. Steven Oscherwitz, an infectious disease expert at the hospital, said in a tweet on Monday night. “Not sure where people needing ICU care will be able to go, since most AZ (Arizona) hospitals are pretty full now.”

Health officials in many states attribute the spike to businesses reopening and Memorial Day weekend gatherings in late May. Many states are also bracing for a possible increase in cases stemming from tens of thousands of people protesting to end racial injustice and police brutality for the past three weeks.

CHURCH OUTBREAK
In Oregon, health officials are trying to contain an outbreak of over 200 new cases in Union County linked to the Lighthouse United Pentecostal Church.

The Oregonian newspaper reported that a video on the church’s Facebook page on May 24 showed hundreds of people standing close together singing. Large gatherings were not permitting under the state’s reopening plan at that time. The video has since been deleted, it said.

In Texas, Governor Greg Abbott said the record number of new cases is due to more testing. Hospitalizations - a metric not linked to increased testing - also hit a record high. But the state has nearly 15,000 hospital beds available, Abbott said.

For the week ended June 14, testing increased over 30% but the positive rate held steady at 7%, a Reuters analysis showed.

Texas tested 674 out of every 100,000 residents last week, while about half of the 50 states tested at least 1,000 out of every 100,000 residents. New York led the nation, testing 2,245 out of every 100,000 residents, according to the analysis.

The top Texas health official, John Hellerstedt, said the increase was manageable but the situation could change.

“The possibility that things could flare up again and produce a resurgence of COVID-19,” which would stress the state’s healthcare system “is still very real,” Hellerstedt said.

‘WE ARE WINNING’
Across the United States, 17 states saw new cases rise last week, according to a Reuters analysis.

In Oklahoma, where President Donald Trump plans to hold an indoor campaign rally on Saturday, new cases rose 68%.

Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday said officials were considering other, possibly outdoor, venues for the Tulsa event. The virus spreads far more efficiently in enclosed spaces.

On Tuesday, Oklahoma health officials here urged anyone attending the rally to get tested for the coronavirus before arriving and then to self-isolate following the event and get tested again. The health commissioner urged those over 65 or at higher risk of coronavirus-related complications to stay home.

Pence pushed back against talk of a second wave of infections, citing increased testing.

"In recent days, the media has taken to sounding the alarm bells over a 'second wave' of coronavirus infections. Such panic is overblown," Pence wrote in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece. here "We are winning the fight against the invisible enemy."

More than 2.1 million people have been infected with the coronavirus in the United States and over 116,000 have died from COVID-19, by far the most in the world.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...states-as-reopening-accelerates-idUSKBN23N32O

I'm surprised that more aren't essentially screaming from the rooftops: everybody just wear a mask.

So simple. By and large we can all do well in every way. But no. No leadership. The opposite of leadership.

Truth is stranger, darker, and dumber than fiction.
If Trump and Pence had bought into wearing masks and modeled that behavior early and consistently, I'd bet they could have had a significant impact on the spread. Pity they didn't have the conviction to sacrifice their images to save lives.

I already carry a deep embarrassment for our country in anticipation of the history to be written of the Trump era. I won’t live to read that history, but still. And truthfully, I also carry a deep resentment for those that support this shit show and blindly help destroy the country I love.

I already carry a deep embarrassment for our country in anticipation of the history to be written of the Trump era. I won’t live to read that history, but still. And truthfully, I also carry a deep resentment for those that support this shit show and blindly help destroy the country I love.
Yeah, you will. It won't take long. Nixon and W had/have seen their own history written not long after they left office. Trump is already being ranked as among, if not the worst in history. He's been the best thing that ever happened to Buchanan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT