ADVERTISEMENT

WC Handy Blues and BBQ Festival - kicks off tonight in Henderson, KY!

evvcabinetman

Junior
Feb 11, 2006
Handy Blues & BBQ is my favorite festival of the year in the Evansville metro area. I'm really looking forward to seeing this young man perform live tonight on the Henderson river front - he's the headliner on the opening night. I've posted this video before but it's worth sharing again. Hang out with my son, drink a beer or two, eat some BBQ and listen to some great music - should be a wonderful evening!

Ghost Town Blues Band out of Memphis - great show- especially for a warm up act in a Wednesday night of a free music festival. I’m continually amazed at the quality of the acts this festival lands.

It’s been a long time since I lived down there, but isn’t there a big summer festival in Owensboro as well?

Kingfish Ingram is the real deal - one of the most impressive blues guitarists I’ve ever seen. If you love the blues do yourself a favor and go to see him live.

Ghost Town Blues Band out of Memphis - great show- especially for a warm up act in a Wednesday night of a free music festival. I’m continually amazed at the quality of the acts this festival lands.

Speaking of Memphis, Joni immortalized some of the Legends of Beale Street in Furry Sings the Blues. Even a name drop of WC Handy, who I assume this festival is named for...

"Diamond boys and satin dolls
Bourbon laughter, ghosts, history falls
To parking lots and shopping malls
As they tear down old Beale Street

Old Furry sings the blues
He points a bony finger at you and says, "I don't like you"
Everybody laughs as if it's the old man's standard joke
But it's true
We're only welcome for our drink and smoke

W.C. Handy, I'm rich and I'm fay
And I'm not familiar with what you played
But I get such strong impressions of your hey day
Looking up and down old Beale Street

Ghosts of the darktown society
Come right out of the bricks at me
Like it's a Saturday night, they're in their finery
Dancing it up and making deals

Furry sings the blues
Why should I expect that old guy to give it to me true
Fallen to hard luck
And time and other thieves
While our limo is shining on his shanty street
Old Furry sings the blues"

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Handy Blues & BBQ is my favorite festival of the year in the Evansville metro area. I'm really looking forward to seeing this young man perform live tonight on the Henderson river front - he's the headliner on the opening night. I've posted this video before but it's worth sharing again. Hang out with my son, drink a beer or two, eat some BBQ and listen to some great music - should be a wonderful evening!

I think some of my family in the Evansville/Newburgh area go to those.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT