Way too early two-deep projection?

TMFT

Sophomore
Nov 4, 2019
Looking into the ol' crystal ball:

Offense:
QB - Penix, Tuttle, McCulley
RB - James/Carr/Baldwin/Ellis (No ranking, pretty wide open going into camp)
WR - Fryfogle, Marshall
WR - Swinton, Hewitt
WR - Matthews, Brown
I think the 2nd string WR is going to be fairly interchangeable among the slots.
TE - Hendershot, Bjorson
T - Jones, Weaver
G - Katic, Benson
C - Carpenter/Powell (I have Powell as starting G, but he could play C too)
G - Powell, Nworah
T - Bedford, Haggard

Defense - I've got no clue on how that's going to shape up after the 1s. And even then, with the rotation they've used the last few years on DL, we could see a lot of guys getting reps there. Overall, I really like how the back 7 looks certainly as far as starters go. I'm interested to see if Robbins or Williams will be able to make a crack at some significant playing time considering they were both big 4* gets a couple years ago.

Coach Geez

Junior
Dec 23, 2019
Defense - I've got no clue on how that's going to shape up after the 1s. And even then, with the rotation they've used the last few years on DL, we could see a lot of guys getting reps there. Overall, I really like how the back 7 looks certainly as far as starters go. I'm interested to see if Robbins or Williams will be able to make a crack at some significant playing time considering they were both big 4* gets a couple years ago.
Agree. Should be one of the better coverage teams in the country this coming year. Bringing in Anderson and Hardy will only help and addresses the one hole our defense had last year. This year, interior depth on the DL will be the one thing to keep an eye on. Sio and Elliott are two quality tackles but then gets murky after that. Transfer from NIU will help and suppose Anderson has some size to play inside need be.

Jssanto

Junior
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans

Offense:
WR - Fryfogle, Marshall
WR - Swinton, Hewitt
WR - Matthews, Brown
I think the 2nd string WR is going to be fairly interchangeable among the slots.
TE - Hendershot, Bjorson
T - Jones, Weaver
G - Katic, Benson
G - Powell, Nworah
T - Bedford, Haggard

Thanks. It is a starting point.
I am hoping Marshall has worked hard all off season. Would like to see a lot from him.

TMFT

Sophomore
Nov 4, 2019
Thanks. It is a starting point.
I am hoping Marshall has worked hard all off season. Would like to see a lot from him.
Marshall & Swinton are both going to get a lot of chances this year, if I were a betting man. If I were also a betting man I'd say it's going to be a bit of an embarrassment of riches so to speak that the big 4* WR recruit may not hardly get on the field at all as a true freshman. But, boy, if he does, that means he's overtaken some kids that made some clutch plays last year (I'm looking at you Javon Swinton during the last PSU drive). This is honestly going to be a really stacked WR room.

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012

Offense:
WR - Fryfogle, Marshall
WR - Swinton, Hewitt
WR - Matthews, Brown
TE - Hendershot, Bjorson
T - Jones, Weaver
G - Katic, Benson
G - Powell, Nworah
T - Bedford, Haggard

Nice list. I'd add that AJ Barner might see at least as much time as Bjorson as 2nd string TE.

I'm really hoping for a breakout year from Brown in the slot position.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve

YOTHN

All-Big Ten
Jun 20, 2014
Marshall & Swinton are both going to get a lot of chances this year, if I were a betting man. If I were also a betting man I'd say it's going to be a bit of an embarrassment of riches so to speak that the big 4* WR recruit may not hardly get on the field at all as a true freshman. But, boy, if he does, that means he's overtaken some kids that made some clutch plays last year (I'm looking at you Javon Swinton during the last PSU drive). This is honestly going to be a really stacked WR room.

I think we are now becoming a program that players of their caliber aren't expecting to necessarily start right away. The good news is we will have a lot of spots in the depth chart opening at WR next season so it will be a great year to get reps and prep for a breakout season next year. Then again, we always have injuries so you never know.

Tokyo Steve

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
TE - Hendershot, Bjorson
T - Jones, Weaver
G - Katic, Benson
G - Powell, Nworah
T - Bedford, Haggard
Generally the same as I was thinking. However, I think Weaver will be a guard and back up Katic. Anyone hear anything about Benson's recovery? I believe his ACL surgery was in the latter half of October.
I'm also hoping that Holtz (lots of praise from CTA and Sheridan) pushes past Nworah (down about 25-30 pounds to a relatively smallish 290) as the other backup guard.
I think Sales could be one true freshman to see some action backing up the other tackle. Still have Rafferty as getting the first shot there, however.
I agree with Mushroomgod re AJ Barner. In fact, I could see him eventually taking away the starter's role from Hendershot, at least as a pass catcher, if Peyton is still having issues with drops.

Last edited:

TMFT

Sophomore
Nov 4, 2019
Generally the same as I was thinking. However, I think Weaver will be a guard and back up Katic.
I honestly think Haggard will be #2 at both tackle spots I was just trying to not repeat names too much, so I just threw Weaver in. Similarly that's how I feel about Marshall/Swinton/Hewitt too to be honest. I think there will be a lot of rotation on the outside.

Is anyone going to take a crack at the 2 deep on defense? That's the really tricky one.

Last edited:

Victorbmyboy

Junior
Nov 10, 2014
I’ve never seen depth like this on the defensive side. We’ve always had decent skill guys on offense but that defensive side is going to be competitive up to 3 deep in some spots. 4th quarters will no longer be a problem. Bets on our backs will lead the B1G in interceptions? Might even average 2 a game in the 4th quarter.