ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early prediction for 2020

With all but four or five starters returning, I expect IU to win 10 games while upsetting a couple of the "big Boys" in the B1G. It is really difficult to know what to expect with a new OC but IU won 8 last year with a new OC. They also had a chance to beat MSU and PSU and should have won those games.

With where IU is right now, I think a 10-2 season is just as likely as a 6-6 season. Win the toss-ups an couple upsets it's the former. Revert to losing the toss ups and not getting any upsets, it's the latter.

I lean toward #9Windiana and the Outback Bowl. My biggest concern is the brutal string of games in the back half of the season. MSU, PSU, @ OSU, Illinois, @UM, and PU.

With where IU is right now, I think a 10-2 season is just as likely as a 6-6 season. Win the toss-ups an couple upsets it's the former. Revert to losing the toss ups and not getting any upsets, it's the latter.

I lean toward #9Windiana and the Outback Bowl. My biggest concern is the brutal string of games in the back half of the season. MSU, PSU, @ OSU, Illinois, @UM, and PU.
Do think IU can get a possible 5-1, 6-0 start to help, don't think MSU at home will be as bad (i.e. a win for IU finally). PSU could be a possible upset win (finally) or maybe at UM. Not sure we're ready to beat OSU yet. And home against PU I believe will also be another W, though if they have all of their WR weapons, in a bucket game, they can be dangerous.

Do think IU can get a possible 5-1, 6-0 start to help, don't think MSU at home will be as bad (i.e. a win for IU finally). PSU could be a possible upset win (finally) or maybe at UM. Not sure we're ready to beat OSU yet. And home against PU I believe will also be another W, though if they have all of their WR weapons, in a bucket game, they can be dangerous.
I am thinking 9-3 or 8-4.

If we go 8-4 I am thinking an easier bowl and a probable win.

TomT

MSU, Illinois, and PU are just regular teams next year. Nothing special. I think our defense will be able to stymie all 3 teams.

MSU, Illinois, and PU are just regular teams next year. Nothing special. I think our defense will be able to stymie all 3 teams.
How big of an improvement the defense makes probably determines whether we win 6 or 7 games, versus 8-10 games.

After witnessing the work our dline did against Tennessee, color me excited. I really like Sio, Jerome Johnson, Lance Bryant, Shamar Jones, and the big juco DT, DeMarcus Elliot. Those players showed promise and playmaking ability that it takes to win in this conference. They certainly need to find an edge rusher.

How big of an improvement the defense makes probably determines whether we win 6 or 7 games, versus 8-10 games.

After witnessing the work our dline did against Tennessee, color me excited. I really like Sio, Jerome Johnson, Lance Bryant, Shamar Jones, and the big juco DT, DeMarcus Elliot. Those players showed promise and playmaking ability that it takes to win in this conference. They certainly need to find an edge rusher.
Find an edge rusher or run the defense to have an edge rusher.

If Indiana can garner 1 of the 3 DE's visiting in the next 2 wks. the recruiting class is going to improve the defense.

I wouldn't count on any of those DEs improving the 2020 defense. Especially that 6'6" dude, he will probably need 2 years in S&C to get his body ready for the B1G.

Reactions: red hornet
No doubt that none of those three look to be "special." But 2/3 were bowl teams this year and there's a fair to good chance all could be bowl teams next year. So even if none of them are scary on their own, thrown in the mix with 3 probably top 10 teams, that's a tough stretch of games.

Makes you wish the Big 10 would not backload IU's schedule like that, like maybe swap Rutgers for the OSU or UM games. Or schedule like the SEC does and put an FCS game on the schedule before the big rivalry game.

For next year to be "special", Indiana needs to beat MSU for sure, and preferably Penn State. Do that and suddenly a 9+ win season is in sight.

Hell, give us the upset special of Wisconsin, and I'll be right behind MTIOTF with 13-0 Rose Bowl marketing!!!

2019 - PSU by 7 at PSU (and we had the botched punt)
2018 - PSU by 5 and we could have just as easily won

2020 is at IU, and if Penix plays, I can easily see a toss-up.

The SI rankings has PSU #4 returning team in country and pretty sure their incoming FR class rates higher than IU.

I acknowledge we’ve played them well of late and at home, with Penix, we could look like formidable opponent. But until we knock them off, I don’t see it as a “pick em” game yet. (Key word is yet!)

With 17 year-end starters returning from an eight win team, I think a 9-3 season is very realistic. And, among the elite opponents (Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan), we'll knock off at least one of them.

Couldn't agree more. Particularly with the Defense, having reps makes it so much easier to just react and play as opposed to overthinking what's happening and getting caught flat footed. Also, getting the defensive signals in and letting the guys get set with more than 0.5 seconds pre-snap would do wonders.

The SI rankings has PSU #4 returning team in country and pretty sure their incoming FR class rates higher than IU.

I acknowledge we’ve played them well of late and at home, with Penix, we could look like formidable opponent. But until we knock them off, I don’t see it as a “pick em” game yet. (Key word is yet!)
I saw that and I am not buying it.
Losing Hamler, Gross-Matos early are big losses. They have lost several transfers the last two years too. I don't think they will be as deep as normal.

I really like their QB, and the TE is a stud, but I would be surprised if the line for this game is more than a 1 score game whe ln it's all said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT