ADVERTISEMENT

Way to go Indiana

Imagine if Jesus had been packing an AR15 on Good Friday!

This meme of a NRA/MAGA follower at the crucifixion seems more plausible:

169070989_4508982212464653_577520640422075039_n.jpg

Yeah, but in that instance, he was sending out his apostles in a manner to fulfill specific prophecy. In all other instances, he instructed them to be peaceful. Heck, just a few hours after telling them to get swords, he admonished Peter for drawing his! I don't think that verse is intended to justify using dangerous weapons in self-defense generally.
Let me be clear. In no way am I saying Jesus told people to get swords so they could attack someone. The issue is defense. In a dangerous world you have the right to defend yourself from attack. I see guns in the same way. People shouldn't buy guns so they can shoot somebody. People should be guns so they can protect their lives and person.

Let me be clear. In no way am I saying Jesus told people to get swords so they could attack someone. The issue is defense. In a dangerous world you have the right to defend yourself from attack. I see guns in the same way. People shouldn't buy guns so they can shoot somebody. People should be guns so they can protect their lives and person.
Smith and Wesson
Chapter 3
Verses 6-8

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
And as I said in the very post you quoted, I don't see how those verses can justify the use of dangerous weapons for self-defense.

If you believe in a right to self-defense, great. I do, too. I just don't see how you can really justify that right with the gospel texts. The purses, bags, and swords section is clearly very specific to that evening's exceptional circumstances.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
And as I said in the very post you quoted, I don't see how those verses can justify the use of dangerous weapons for self-defense.

If you believe in a right to self-defense, great. I do, too. I just don't see how you can really justify that right with the gospel texts. The purses, bags, and swords section is clearly very specific to that evening's exceptional circumstances.
Why would Jesus tell them to get swords? It would be for defense. And when it is for defense then you have to have enough power in the weapon to thwart someone who means you harm. I do agree with you that the chapter 10 passage was exceptional. The Lord for His own purposes had them rely completely on Him, probably for a teaching point.

Why would Jesus tell them to get swords? It would be for defense. And when it is for defense then you have to have enough power in the weapon to thwart someone who means you harm. I do agree with you that the chapter 10 passage was exceptional. The Lord for His own purposes had them rely completely on Him, probably for a teaching point.
Were you born this stupid?

ADVERTISEMENT