ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT - Qatar's Barshim, Italy's Tamberi Decide to Share Gold in Men's High Jump

It’s a great moment. The Olympics are for building and keeping good relationships around the globe. Can’t get much better than sharing like that.

No, ties are for double winners. Testosterone deficient nut sacs are for sissies.
Yeah, I think they came up short in their gesture of international goodwill and sportsmanship here — because all the other competitors were excluded.

Next time, they should refuse to jump at all and agree to share the gold medal with everybody who qualified.

Yeah, I think they came up short in their gesture of international goodwill and sportsmanship here — because all the other competitors were excluded.

Next time, they should refuse to jump at all and agree to share the gold medal with everybody who qualified.
Maybe these two gents will now get the same over-the-top adulation for their selfless act of “courageous” sportsmanship that Simone Biles continues to receive ad adnauseam.

Participation gold medals for ALL participants! Plus a trophy! Everyone's a winner! That is what this generation of athletes is used to.... And Get Off My Lawn!!

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Simone Biles is a pu$$y. She got "the Yips"' and bailed in the Last Minute on her teammates. Press views her as courageous for doing that?
Lou Gehrig took himself out of the starting lineup....
Takes a helluva lot more courage to admit that you're not in a position to help your teammates.

Takes a helluva lot more courage to admit that you're not in a position to help your teammates.
I'm somewhere in the middle on Simone Biles.

I don't buy into all the "she's so courageous!!" stuff. But I also don't think she deserves the vitriol she's gotten from some of her critics.

I don't have a problem with an athlete stepping aside if they're not up to the task. But it was the timing of her decision that made it problematic.

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
Participation gold medals for ALL participants! Plus a trophy! Everyone's a winner! That is what this generation of athletes is used to.... And Get Off My Lawn!!
What gets me is that people are referring to this as great sportsmanship, symbolic of the Olympic spirit, etc. That's hogwash.

Sportsmanship -- including in the realm of the Olympic Games -- has never been about refusing to compete until a winner is determined. It's about mutual respect, about following rules, about setting aside politics, and all of that. But it's not about agreeing to a tie and sharing medals. Pure silliness.

I'm somewhere in the middle on Simone Biles.

I don't buy into all the "she's so courageous!!" stuff. But I also don't think she deserves the vitriol she's gotten from some of her critics.

I don't have a problem with an athlete stepping aside if they're not up to the task. But it was the timing of her decision that made it problematic.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the judges were under a little pressure themselves to give Simone a medal of some sort. Personally, I'm tired of reading about her. Maybe they gave her a few extra "courage" points, even though she bailed out on her degree-of-difficulty dismount. It will be interesting to see who is the next gymnast to bemoan a poor performance with a cry of "Twisties!" Maybe Biles will have the dubious distinction of being the first and last.

One never really knows if an athlete bails out to help their teammates of just so they don't embarrass themselves any further. Courage isn't calling it quits after a poor performance in Tokyo 2021, even if it is for the sake of your teammates. Courage is leading your platoon into the Gook-laden jungles of North Vietnam in 1967.

Simone Biles is a pu$$y. She got "the Yips"' and bailed in the Last Minute on her teammates.
In any case more 'man' than you'll ever be.

Not sure why everything has to distilled into a societal/political referendum for some people. No one here has the faintest idea of what Biles has done to do what she has, courage comes in many forms, and as some of you regularly demonstrate, it takes really big balls and zero intellect to sit in front of a keyboard and condemn individuals and circumstances one knows nothing about. Wisdom from never-wases is anything but.

Last edited:
it takes really big balls and zero intellect to sit in front of a keyboard and condemn individuals and circumstances one knows nothing about.
Er, so? I mean, yeah this is true -- it's very easy to be a critic. Especially in this day and age. But that doesn't mean any particular criticism is either valid or invalid.

Again, I'm not going to join the chorus of people trashing Biles for her withdrawal. I think that's way overwrought. But I can't say I'm any more sympathetic towards the "courageous" narrative either.

Ultimately, I just think the timing was unfortunate. Obviously, it would've been much better had she withdrawn with plenty of notice to allow somebody else to have their chance on that stage.

Er, so? I mean, yeah this is true -- it's very easy to be a critic. Especially in this day and age. But that doesn't mean any particular criticism is either valid or invalid.

Again, I'm not going to join the chorus of people trashing Biles for her withdrawal. I think that's way overwrought. But I can't say I'm any more sympathetic towards the "courageous" narrative either.

Ultimately, I just think the timing was unfortunate. Obviously, it would've been much better had she withdrawn with plenty of notice to allow somebody else to have their chance on that stage.
That's where I'm at. If I'm the person left off the team, I'm pissed.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

That's where I'm at. If I'm the person left off the team, I'm pissed.

Somebody else did get that chance:

"Simone Biles had just withdrawn from the team final and was concerned about her ability to compete in the event finals. Before the night was even over, Biles insisted someone reach out to Skinner immediately."

"Simone Biles had just withdrawn from the team final and was concerned about her ability to compete in the event finals. Before the night was even over, Biles insisted someone reach out to Skinner immediately."

She was already on the team. I'm talking about someone being left home.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

She was already competing regardless.

Either way, someone didn't make the trip.
She was already competing in the Olympics.

Mostly because they weren't good enough. The US Women brought four team gymnasts plus two alternates. Biles won a silver (and later a bronze) and couldn't bring herself to continue. Not as if she planned it that way or had any idea that she would choose/be forced to forego the fulfillment and fruition of a lifetime of labor and dedication.

Someone didn't make the trip, but it's not like Biles intentionally/selfishly screwed someone, and/or didn't compete herself. Shit happens.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the judges were under a little pressure themselves to give Simone a medal of some sort. Personally, I'm tired of reading about her. Maybe they gave her a few extra "courage" points, even though she bailed out on her degree-of-difficulty dismount. It will be interesting to see who is the next gymnast to bemoan a poor performance with a cry of "Twisties!" Maybe Biles will have the dubious distinction of being the first and last.
Hmmm, I wonder if being a dumb racist is clouding your view on this?

Something tells me your older brother never fell into the Punji stick pits of Nam.
Or that my uncle never got gassed in the 'hun-infested' forests of France? Does that get me a free pass?

Have been to Viet Nam. Kept seeing guys in the street missing arms and legs. Was really disconcerting because they always smiled at me. Didn't look/act like 'gooks' - looked like human beings who'd moved past the shit that my country visited on theirs. Maybe you should as well.

Last edited:
Or that my uncle never got gassed in the 'hun-infested' forests of France? Does that get me a free pass?

Have been to Viet Nam. Kept seeing guys in the street missing arms and legs. Was really disconcerting because they always smiled at me. Didn't look/act like 'gooks' - looked like human beings who'd moved past the shit that my country visited on theirs. Maybe you should as well.
There was a time in history we called them “Gooks”, as there were “Japs”, “Whops”, “Kikes”, “Spics”, “Dagos”, “Hillbillies”, “Spooks”, “Towel-heads”, “White Privileged”, “Fish-eaters”…sadly, the list could go on. Let us never forget our history, lest we not learn from our wicked ways and let history be repeated.

There was a time in history we called them “Gooks”, as there were “Japs”, “Whops”, “Kikes”, “Spics”, “Dagos”, “Hillbillies”, “Spooks”, “Towel-heads”, “White Privileged”, “Fish-eaters”…sadly, the list could go on. Let us never forget our history, lest we not learn from our wicked ways and let history be repeated.
So does that make it OK and/or are you saying you're stuck in the past? Own it or keep obfuscating. Entirely up to you, was just pointing out the irony.

So does that make it OK and/or are you saying you're stuck in the past? Own it or keep obfuscating. Entirely up to you, was just pointing out the irony.
No one calls them “Gooks” today except perhaps a relatively few lingering Viet Nam vets still bitter from manning the front lines. I’m not one of them. Some may argue that tearing down a Confederate soldier’s statue in a park is living in the past. I’m one of them. Does that elevate me to “racist” in your eyes? Do you consider “White Privileged” a derogatory term still acceptable by today’s standards?

ADVERTISEMENT