ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the replay...

Mas-sa-suta

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2003
Indiana 's defense was victimized repeatedly when a LB was man up on the running back or TE. Cam Jones seemed especially vulnerable as he let the receiver cross his face repeatedly, including UM's first touchdown and the backbreaker to Plumlee in the last four minutes.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Indiana 's defense was victimized repeatedly when a LB was man up on the running back or TE. Cam Jones seemed especially vulnerable as he let the receiver cross his face repeatedly, including UM's first touchdown and the backbreaker to Plumlee in the last four minutes.
So when you say "victimized," do you mean the D played poorly?

I think a key point-- was in the first half... they were driving... it was 4th and 1 -- they were up tempo and we were dragging and barely got setup before they snapped the ball... I was yelling to call timeout... we needed to catch our breath and regroup before that big play. Does that mean they would not have gotten it-- NO-- but it meant we had a chance for stop-- without calling time-out---we did not...

I knew that there were going to get it just based upon our having trouble lining back up and getting a defense call in as well. We were a text book example of being on your heels....by an up tempo offense. It is ok to use your time outs -- especially in the first half -- it would not have been wasted.

The defense was on their heels all game long. We could never get a stop when it counted and let them breeze down the field in crunch time after we tied it up and go back up. Just when we get back to even and have momentum they lay a turd again and put us in a hole that doomed us. That unit knew we were struggling on offense with Tuttle hurt so you would have thought/hoped they could have put their big boy pants on and come up with a clutch stop. Not so much. Completely unprepared for the up tempo. Still cannot believe that we let an average to below average team with 75% of their offensive production out for the game totally dominate us. I guess you blame it on the D coordinator having both feet out the door but c'mon with that performance it looks like they never practiced.

There is a lot of talk about the defense under performing. That may be the case, but at the end of the day they only gave up 26 points, this is the second lowest total all season by Ole Miss (21 in loss to Ark), and 15 points under their average coming into the game. If you told me IU would hold them to 26 points I would be 90% certain the Hoosiers would have won given Ole Miss's defensive performance all season.

There is a lot of talk about the defense under performing. That may be the case, but at the end of the day they only gave up 26 points, this is the second lowest total all season by Ole Miss (21 in loss to Ark), and 15 points under their average coming into the game. If you told me IU would hold them to 26 points I would be 90% certain the Hoosiers would have won given Ole Miss's defensive performance all season.
Ole Miss was missing 75% of their offense from the reg season. Big difference. Also, "only 26 points" but they missed at least one makeable FG and an extra point so that is 30. By the way, 26 points is not great or really even good. It is not like we are saying but they only gave up 14 points. Finally, the defense failed us in crunch time. Not good performance.

You are correct. Giving up 26 to this offense is pretty good. Our offensive game plan is what killed us (that and missing Penix). We should have tried to establish the run from the start. It doesn't take a football guru to know that running would have run time off the clock and helped our D by giving them more rest. It would have helped if Whop had turned up field every time he caught the ball instead of running backwards. Turning directly upfield would have turned would have likely resulted in may 5-6 yds gains as opposed to his 1 yd to -10 yarders.

Reactions: Skiporshki and 76-1
The defense was on their heels all game long. We could never get a stop when it counted and let them breeze down the field in crunch time after we tied it up and go back up. Just when we get back to even and have momentum they lay a turd again and put us in a hole that doomed us. That unit knew we were struggling on offense with Tuttle hurt so you would have thought/hoped they could have put their big boy pants on and come up with a clutch stop. Not so much. Completely unprepared for the up tempo. Still cannot believe that we let an average to below average team with 75% of their offensive production out for the game totally dominate us. I guess you blame it on the D coordinator having both feet out the door but c'mon with that performance it looks like they never practiced.
Due to COVID19 issues the team didn't get a lot of practice or workouts in.

I doubt there were many Hoosier fans in the stands Saturday who knew the extent of Tuttle's injury during the game. In retrospect it was a very gutty performance by our back up QB. Still, from our seats (club level 20 yard line) I saw wide open IU receivers throughout the game; it just seemed as if Tuttle was determined to stick with the play that was called. Also, there were too many times he did not even have time to scan the field; may have left the pocket too soon on occasion but also on occasion didn't have time to blink. D was not great either but if you had asked me before the game if IU would score more than 26 points I would have certainly have though so given the points Ole Miss had allowed throughout the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT