ADVERTISEMENT

Watching 2011 IU vs Ohio State

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Verdell Jones and Jordan Hullls were better than 2020 IU backcourt Green and Durham. Hulls was not good on D but what an offensive player he was! I know many in here dont think IU can use a pure shooter that is not a high flyer, but watching Hulls makes me rethink that. Luke Brown or Jalen Blackmon step back 3s like Hulls would be sweet to see in an IU uniform. Is there any chance that either could be offered a preferred walk-on position like McRoberts that eventually lead to a possible scholarship if they proved their worth and value on offense as a Hoosier player? Would Hulls or Verdell be recruited instead if who IU is recruiting in 2021, no. But they were Both on the court for most of the game against #2 Ohio State. Floor spacing with perimeter shooters looks great in this game, I did not realize how poorly the 2020 IU team shot the ball compared to teams of the not too distant past. IU needs shooters badly.and that 2011 IU team had Matt Roth also. Roth would also not be recruited instead of who IU is recruiting in 2021. But having no player like Hulls, Verdell, or Roth lets teams pack the lane against TJD, Brunk, and Race.

Last edited:
Verdell Jones and Jordan Hullls were better than 2020 IU backcourt Green and Durham. Hulls was not good on D but what an offensive player he was! I know many in here dont think IU can use a pure shooter that is not a high flyer, but watching Hulls makes me rethink that. Luke Brown or Jalen Blackmon step back 3s like Hulls would be sweet to see in an IU uniform. Is there any chance that either could be offered a preferred walk-on position like McRoberts that eventually lead to a possible scholarship if they proved their worth and value on offense as a Hoosier player? Would Hulls or Verdell be recruited instead if who IU is recruiting in 2021, no. But they were Both on the court for most of the game against #2 Ohio State. Floor spacing with perimeter shooters looks great in this game, I did not realize how poorly the 2020 IU team shot the ball compared to teams of the not too distant past. IU needs shooters badly.and that 2011 IU team had Matt Roth also. Roth would also not be recruited instead of who IU is recruiting in 2021. But having no player like Hulls, Verdell, or Roth lets teams pack the lane against TJD, Brunk, and Race.

Hulls was a pretty highly rated recruit (top 150ish I think), from Bloomington no less. Wasn't he coming off a state chamionship team? With CAMs focus on getting the best players in IN, I wouldn't be so sure Hulls wouldn't have still found his way to IU.

Hulls was a pretty highly rated recruit (top 150ish I think), from Bloomington no less. Wasn't he coming off a state chamionship team? With CAMs focus on getting the best players in IN, I wouldn't be so sure Hulls wouldn't have still found his way to IU.
You're right, in my mind. Hulls recruitment likely would have been similar. He wasn't highly regarded until the AAU season after his junior year, and he shot up to a 4-star several high majors started pursuing him. We closed the deal, and added perhaps the second best 3 PT. shooter in IU history...

Hulls was a composite 4* recruit who had offers from IU and Purdue plus interest from Duke, Stanford, and Butler. Luke Brown isn't in the same league as Hulls.

Verdell Jones was unranked but had offers from Kentucky, Minnesota, and Tennessee.

I wouldn't complain if Brown came to IU as a walk-on, but I don't think it'll happen. Maybe send pro-Luke Brown messages directly to Miller.

Also, McRoberts didn't come to IU as a preferred walk-on. He quit basketball at his previous evil and transferred to IU for academics. He later missed basketball and joined the team as a walk-on. He also never received a scholarship.

There's no replacement for displacement, if they can shoot it we need them, everybody can be taught D. That's a somewhat Creanish statement and philosophy, but he never cared or tried to teach them D. Had he, we'd have another banner

Umm, kind of like IN Mr. Bball, he wasn't a 150th like recruit, I'm not even going to bother looing it up, yes, he'd be a good recruit today, you sell him short

There's no replacement for displacement, if they can shoot it we need them, everybody can be taught D. That's a somewhat Creanish statement and philosophy, but he never cared or tried to teach them D. Had he, we'd have another banner
I’m not sure about “it’s easy to teach D”. You see a lot more high 4 and low 3* players who are way ahead defensively. (Oladipo/Anunoby)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT