ADVERTISEMENT

Watched watched and chatted Penix throws vs MSU

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
I had some extra time so I watched and charted all of Penix throws vs MSU. I have always heard how quickly he reads the field and gets the ball out. What I saw was that IU three 4 different types of screens they threw 7 bubble screens, they threw 4 slip screens one was read and Penix pulled it down and was sacked, 3 tunnel screens and 2 quick screens to the outside. That is 16 total screens. They threw 3 slants one was a backside slant no read they threw one slant/arrow combo very simple read, the third was a double slant combo that went to Whop in the slot not a complicated read. They threw 3 curl curl routes no teal read. He threw a shallow cross to Hendershot . Looked to be predetermined. They threw a fade comeback in red zone threw a jump ball for a td and out and up to Philyor for a td in the red zone. And 17 balls downfield. I know that this is only one game but it is considered his defining game. But it seemed that he did not have many throws with complicated reads.

I had some extra time so I watched and charted all of Penix throws vs MSU. I have always heard how quickly he reads the field and gets the ball out. What I saw was that IU three 4 different types of screens they threw 7 bubble screens, they threw 4 slip screens one was read and Penix pulled it down and was sacked, 3 tunnel screens and 2 quick screens to the outside. That is 16 total screens. They threw 3 slants one was a backside slant no read they threw one slant/arrow combo very simple read, the third was a double slant combo that went to Whop in the slot not a complicated read. They threw 3 curl curl routes no teal read. He threw a shallow cross to Hendershot . Looked to be predetermined. They threw a fade comeback in red zone threw a jump ball for a td and out and up to Philyor for a td in the red zone. And 17 balls downfield. I know that this is only one game but it is considered his defining game. But it seemed that he did not have many throws with complicated reads.
He hits receivers with bullets in stride so they can get yards after catch. He doesn't get sacked. He threw an 18 yard crossing route at Maryland that I have never seen an IU QB throw in my 25 years of watching religiously.

He hits receivers with bullets in stride so they can get yards after catch. He doesn't get sacked. He threw an 18 yard crossing route at Maryland that I have never seen an IU QB throw in my 25 years of watching religiously.
Don’t get me wrong I love Penix and hope that we get to see him on the field this year and the rest of the Hoosiers. I saw Ramsey throw a post in the red zone vs FIU that was unbelievable.

You never know the design of a play without being part of the staff so we really don't know how complicated the reads were. In games other than MSU Penix spread the ball around to the open receiver in short order. He is not perfect in his reads just as no QB is but he doesn't get sacked often and the ball comes out of his hand quickly. Granted the difference in our two QBs at the time could be what they saw as open receivers. Maybe Penix saw coverage as needing to get the ball to the proper space as being open and Ramsey had to move to the next receiver.

We will find out this year what Penix can do but I liked what I saw from him last year and the way he moved the team to TDs.

TA and Deboer talked at length after this game that due to MSU's strengths defensively, the best way to attack them was get the ball out quick to the perimeter, letting receivers go one on one in space. It worked pretty well. Any kind of a run game that day and/or stopping MSU's final fg drive, IU likely wins.

While blessed with a cannon, MP also throws touch passes to the outside very well. That's not always the case with big arm guys. I will say against BSU and MD, there were a couple quick slants over the middle that might have needed a tad less mustard.

You never know the design of a play without being part of the staff so we really don't know how complicated the reads were. In games other than MSU Penix spread the ball around to the open receiver in short order. He is not perfect in his reads just as no QB is but he doesn't get sacked often and the ball comes out of his hand quickly. Granted the difference in our two QBs at the time could be what they saw as open receivers. Maybe Penix saw coverage as needing to get the ball to the proper space as being open and Ramsey had to move to the next receiver.

We will find out this year what Penix can do but I liked what I saw from him last year and the way he moved the team to TDs.
Vesuvius you are correct without-being in the meeting rooms and the practice fields you don’t know the reads. I can tell you how in watching and charting the plays outside maybe presnap He is not reading anything. Not even the zone read portion because he just flash fakes. There is no mesh. The slant passes are basically pre snap reads as are the curl routes. Many of the downfield throws are not super tough reads. He hits Whop on an NCAA pattern ( shallow cross post dig) Whop is the dig. Not a a tough read. In the 4 quarter he he has a series of about 4 or plays in which everyone is just running takeoffs and he just kind of lets it go. They draw a pass interference call and I think he hits on one. Again I love Penix and can not or would not argue the staff decision to start him. He is a big time talent. I love the way he moves around in the pocket looking to find space to throw the ball. That is why I maintain that he is more of a pro style an than a dual threat although he is more than capable as dual threat guy.

Vesuvius you are correct without-being in the meeting rooms and the practice fields you don’t know the reads. I can tell you how in watching and charting the plays outside maybe presnap He is not reading anything. Not even the zone read portion because he just flash fakes. There is no mesh. The slant passes are basically pre snap reads as are the curl routes. Many of the downfield throws are not super tough reads. He hits Whop on an NCAA pattern ( shallow cross post dig) Whop is the dig. Not a a tough read. In the 4 quarter he he has a series of about 4 or plays in which everyone is just running takeoffs and he just kind of lets it go. They draw a pass interference call and I think he hits on one. Again I love Penix and can not or would not argue the staff decision to start him. He is a big time talent. I love the way he moves around in the pocket looking to find space to throw the ball. That is why I maintain that he is more of a pro style an than a dual threat although he is more than capable as dual threat guy.

I hope you understand my post wasn't anything against you because I think you do a great job on this board. I look at other games and thought Penix does a great job making quick decisions on who will be open whether through pre-snap or through the reads on plays.

I hope you understand my post wasn't anything against you because I think you do a great job on this board. I look at other games and thought Penix does a great job making quick decisions on who will be open whether through pre-snap or through the reads on plays.
I too respect you and your opinions. Sorry if you felt like I was calling you I guess because I did quote your post. Was not my intention and besides as I have said many times my opinions are my opinions and your opinions are yours. Next I agree it is only one game. Actually my thought is that Coach DeBoer and the rest of the staff devised a plan to protect Penix by getting the ball out quickly against a formidable pass rush. Probably a very wise move. I will probably watch the Ohio State next l remember thinking that early on we threw the ball sideways a lot early with very little success against their speed. We started to throw the ball forward and began to move it a little. Obviously the other games will also probably be more telling.

I've never claimed to know anything about readings defenses or whether MP is making easy or hard reads.

For me, watching the MSU game just showed arm talent. When he was taking those deep shots at different points in the game, it was just a pretty ball that got from Point A to Point B quickly & for the most part accurately.

He got to show off his arm that game and it didn't disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT