ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the 2002 IU/Duke Game

FormerRevMatt

Freshman
Nov 16, 2017
I'm still amazed that IU won that game. Duke got nearly every call. Also, they had so many reach-ins that weren't called.

It's just a sickening reminder of the favoritism shown to Duke. It's astounding.

“Mods,” please combine the above with the already ruined, earlier thread on the Maryland game. Recommend retitling the conflation “Carnival of Failure.”

EDIT. Kilroy was here.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Gerdis
I don’t see it (“place is crawling with ‘em)

not an edit: dws

edit: Darn autocorrect wasn’t happy I was using “‘em” instead of “‘me”). At least I got an edit out of the deal, making RZ’s day, I’m sure.
Thanks for watching your language in your edit, .Gerdis. I feel like I’m on the edge of being triggered today.

I'm still amazed that IU won that game. Duke got nearly every call. Also, they had so many reach-ins that weren't called.

It's just a sickening reminder of the favoritism shown to Duke. It's astounding.
Great win. I don't remember feeling as if Duke got all the calls but haven't seen it in a long time. I do remember Moye getting his pocket picked clean towards the end of the game and getting bailed out on a foul call. Jeffries also might have fouled Boozer twice on the missed free throw put back attempt. Whew.

One little tidbit that Dane Fife shared was that he was absolutely chomping at the bit to guard Jay Williams, who was by far the best offensive perimeter player in the country and was a celebrated recruit, burger boy.

Williams per Dane was their center of confidence. The head of the snake so to speak.

So right before the game Davis switched him off of Williams and pissed Dane off (I think he put him on Dunleavy). He told him he was too jacked, too crazy and would pick up dumb fouls early over guarding him.

Finally at the half he switched Dane onto him, and Dane had maybe one foul so he could really go after him...which he did.

So while some might say Duke went to sleep, there was a little strategy involved. Dane shut Williams down and they were a little lost and took too long to switch to Boozer.

Of course most people just remember Fife fouling Jay as time expired but he pretty much clamped him down in the second half as Davis gambled and hoped he would.

I don't remember the officiating much in that game, but Duke normally gets the benefit.

The title game they played vs Butler was terrible, Duke got all the calls. By the end of the night I was 100% certain Goran Suton was Bosnian for "illegal screen."

Reactions: Radio Zero
Great win. I don't remember feeling as if Duke got all the calls but haven't seen it in a long time. I do remember Moye getting his pocket picked clean towards the end of the game and getting bailed out on a foul call. Jeffries also might have fouled Boozer twice on the missed free throw put back attempt. Whew.
The pick might have been clean, but look at the defender's other hand. He wrapped Moye's waist and tried to turn him by his opposite hip.

Reactions: Brewskie
I don't remember the officiating much in that game, but Duke normally gets the benefit.

The title game they played vs Butler was terrible, Duke got all the calls. By the end of the night I was 100% certain Goran Suton was Bosnian for "illegal screen."
I thought Duke got away with highway robbery in the Championship game against Wisconsin with the officiating. I don’t normally get bothered with the referees but the whistle in that game was egregious. Much like the Duke/IU Final Four game in ‘92.

Last edited:

The other tidbit, and this was told by Jeffries was that he was absolutely fuming at Fife (because he didn't think they could beat Duke in OT) and was basically yelling at Newton to keep everyone but Dane out of the locker room because he was going to beat the shit out of him.

So when Williams missed the free throw Jeffries was flat footed because he was stewing instead of blocking out.

Both conversations are from their Hoosier Histerics podcast (which I recommend).

Dane replied to Jeffries saying 'well Jared is a great fisherman and loves to tell his fish stories also'.

The other funny Jeffries comment was when the team was talking about all quitting and transferring Jared was like 'are you all ffing crazy! I'm going to the NBA, there ain't no way in hell I'm sitting out a year!'

The other tidbit, and this was told by Jeffries was that he was absolutely fuming at Fife (because he didn't think they could beat Duke in OT) and was basically yelling at Newton to keep everyone but Dane out of the locker room because he was going to beat the shit out of him.

So when Williams missed the free throw Jeffries was flat footed because he was stewing instead of blocking out.

Both conversations are from their Hoosier Histerics podcast (which I recommend).

Dane replied to Jeffries saying 'well Jared is a great fisherman and loves to tell his fish stories also'.

The other funny Jeffries comment was when the team was talking about all quitting and transferring Jared was like 'are you all ffing crazy! I'm going to the NBA, there ain't no way in hell I'm sitting out a year!'
Love it.

Reactions: TommyCracker

Makes sense. I was fuming at Jeffries for just standing there and letting Boozer grab that ball.

Reactions: TommyCracker
There used to be a fellow on this site whose username was MoyeStuffsBoozer, I believe.
I remember watching this game at home... My sis and her husband were there live... I now remember thinking: "How sweet to beat Duke at Rupp Arena in the tournament!" Don't get much better....

Reactions: Radio Zero
JJ may have fouled him but it was only after Boozer bulldozed him under the rim to get the rebound. The refs were swallowing their whistles.

ADVERTISEMENT