ADVERTISEMENT

Washer & Dryer Set Recommendations

IUclover

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2015
After days of research, I thought I'd ask for your thoughts and experience on a front load washer/dryer set. Unfortunately, the time has come to replace our current GE set that came with our home purchase.

When we bought our previous house about four years ago, I bought a Samsung set that didn't really have any issues but I'm reading they're not the most reliable. At the moment, I'm looking at this LG set - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/combo/washer-dryer-bundles/c9a5fb33-f427-4ab0-bef2-89914585f185.

I wanted to hold out for the Memorial Day sales but our dryer is pretty much out of service. I'm heading to Best Buy today to see if their price match will extend to mid-late May. I'm assuming the price for the set linked will drop $300+ dollars at most places.

I’ve had a Samsung set since 2011 and I’ve spent $150 total on repairs. We have 4 kids and literally wash every freaking day. I would recommend them.

I’ve had a Samsung set since 2011 and I’ve spent $150 total on repairs. We have 4 kids and literally wash every freaking day. I would recommend them.
Yeah, we had our Samsung set for two years before we included them in the sale of our last house. Never had any issues other than having to clean out the washer filter due to dog hair. I'd save about $500 if it went with a Samsung set I'm looking at.

I have an LG dryer that is great. I held on to my 17 year old Maytag washer that seems indestructable. Once I thought it was dead, but I changed out the power supply, saving hundreds but disappointing the wife, who wanted a new appliance.

We've had the same appliance repairman for decades. He is honest and reliable. He told us not to buy two brands ever: LG and Samsung. We've had a Whirpool washer and dryer for many years. Only minor problem we had was with a dryer door hinge that had to be replaced because we abused the door by constantly slamming it. Other than Whirlpool he recommends GE.

We've had the same appliance repairman for decades. He is honest and reliable. He told us not to buy two brands ever: LG and Samsung. We've had a Whirpool washer and dryer for many years. Only minor problem we had was with a dryer door hinge that had to be replaced because we abused the door by constantly slamming it. Other than Whirlpool he recommends GE.
I keep reading pretty much what your repairman said. I think it has more to do with the extra electric gadgets (WiFi enabled) and more expensive repairs.

With that said, we bought an LG set today (wife really liked the set). Best Buy gave us a 60 day price match guarantee and some other free stuff. Also helps they had delivery and installation available for tomorrow afternoon.

I guess I’ll be able to see when the washer cycle is done on my phone while browsing these forums. Yeehaw.

I keep reading pretty much what your repairman said. I think it has more to do with the extra electric gadgets (WiFi enabled) and more expensive repairs.

With that said, we bought an LG set today (wife really liked the set). Best Buy gave us a 60 day price match guarantee and some other free stuff. Also helps they had delivery and installation available for tomorrow afternoon.

I guess I’ll be able to see when the washer cycle is done on my phone while browsing these forums. Yeehaw.
A happy wife makes a happy life!!

We have Samsung as well and had lots of issue witht he dryer. The problem with Samsung is they stopped making parts for some models and have shit customer service. I liked the performance otherwise.. We ended up purchasing a new dryer from GE without fear of being able to get parts and fixing it. With that said I liked the Samsung performance better until it shit the bed.

That is one of the main reasons he didn't like Samsung. He said you could never get the parts.

I may be old fashioned but when it comes to large home appliances I stick to the basics. I don't want or need digital displays, touch screens or smart technology. Size/Capacity, finish (for the wife's decor), and type (gas/electric) are the three major factors and from there it's price and reliability. The only feature that is a must for me is an icemaker/dispenser. My electric super capacity Whirlpool washer dryer set I bought for under $800 bucks delivered around 10 years ago from HH Gregg and functionally it's a basic top load washer and front load dryer with no digitals, just dials and mechanical buttons and knock on wood it's still going with no issues (and that's for a house of 4 adults).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT